Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,124 reviews matching the search
Great place for pets, not so much for employees
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Port Orange, FLJune 21, 2017
Since I've started my job at Petco, I have been pushed around, bullied and walked over. I was hired as a dog trainer, and am never allotted any time to focus on my dog training. I am expected to do trucks every week, stand at a cash register for majority of my shift, and still run classes, help people in the store, sign people up for classes, introduce myself to customers, do workshops, seminars, puppy play times, answer phone calls, keep the store fronted, clean animal accidents, and everything in between all for a very insulting wage. Get a grip, Petco! Take care of your employees and your employees will take care of you!
great place to work
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 21, 2017
I enjoy working at Petco it was a great store. I was working only part time for short time because I was attending school. Do to my school schedule i had to go. But the manager and all the associated are nice people.
A great place to grow and great environment to work in
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hartsdale, NYJune 20, 2017
Always started my day on a great positive note surrounded by animals that I love to work with. Customers always enjoy coming in because they say it feel like a home rather then a job.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
No beneifits
Fun work environment
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 19, 2017
Petco gave many opportunities to grow, I wish I spent more time with the company. Working with animals makes for a positive work environment._________
Pros
Paid well, dogs, long breaks
Ultimatums and consolidated jobs (work of 3 people in one job)
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJune 19, 2017
Stay around long enough and you might get a promotion. Keep in mind your only being promoted because everyone else has left. Expect everyone's work to fall in to your hands and take hits for others flaws that management dumped on you. You have been warned...
Love working with Dogs and Cats, Petco lets you enjoy your passion
Part Time Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJune 19, 2017
Love working with dogs, best part about my job. Management support and encourage ideas to sell classes and promote dog training. My Dog Training Mentor is/was awesome with helping me be able to teach my own classes
It is a very productive workplace that teaches you a lot about chemistry, animals, and nutrition
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Verona, NJJune 19, 2017
A typical day at work is pretty busy. Each employee must focus on cleaning the animals and the habitats, restocking the shelves, customer service, and the cash register. However, since the job is so fast paced, you learn a lot about how to care for animals and the best products to keep them healthy. On the down side, since there is so much to learn, training can be overwhelming and sometimes the managers are too busy to answer concerns you bring them on behalf of customers. You basically have to figure things out on your own and research the products while the store is quiet, or even during your free time at home.
Pros
The employees are very friendly and patient
Cons
There is a lack of communication when it comes to training employees, as well as no communication in changing policies concerning the work place.
relaxing
Groomers Assistance (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 18, 2017
Its a great place to work but it is very competative mony wise you are working on commision so you have to fight to get dogs in order to make good money
Fast paced, coworkers are fun depending on the store, short staffed
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 18, 2017
Overall, I don't hate it. I know I enjoy my co-workers for the most part, they're pretty relaxed and fun to be around. My only problem is they are short-staffed and only allow you so many employees per store, yet expect a long list of things to be done weekly to manage it. Pay is pretty low as well even if you have experience and knowledge for the products and animals that you work with.
Pros
Discount, working with animals, benefits
Cons
Short lunch break, understaffed, too high of expectations for too little of employees
Great first time job for any animal lover
Dog Trainer/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 18, 2017
Overall Petco is a good place to start. It isn't the highest paying job and takes a while to grow with the company but it is a good first time job for someone looking to start their career. You get to learn quite a few different skills from registers to stocking and customer service.It's always enjoyable seeing all the friendly faces that come in to always get your help and seeing all the fun critters that walk through the doors.
Fun job, management okay
Pet Care Specialist, Aquatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 17, 2017
Working with the animals is fun. I enjoy spending time with them. Things are fairly easy but management sometimes is a pain in that they constantly quit and new ones are hired.
Very great, Very communitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CA 92630June 17, 2017
Everyone was very helpful and really nice. Support everyday and if I had a question, all I had to do was ask my co-workers. They are quick to act to help and have a good mind on everything that would benefit your animals.
Pros
Good communication, quick work
People were great
Sales Partner (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJune 16, 2017
I feel the corporate offices at Petco were terrible but everything else was pretty good. I believe it need to be more organized its very sloppy in my opinion.
Flexible schedule but that's about it
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 16, 2017
Layoffs and outsourcing has been the thing every year since I've been here. People keep to themselves. Not much pride in the company. One perk is you get to bring your pet to work.
A busy grooming salon
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 14, 2017
My job is very fun and I look forward to going to work because of my colleagues I work with. Helping and styling dogs hair has its perks. Grooming the dogs is therapeutic to a bad day. I have learned to multitask and always be very communicative. The hardest part of the job is trying not to get bit. My GSM is very supportive and always have my back in any situation when a customer is not pleased. The best part of my job is when a pet parent come back to pick up their dog and they love the new look. Pet parent is happy and dog is happy too.
Pros
I can take my lunch when I can.
Cons
Theres many days my lunch is not taken due to how busy it is and thats because we are low staff.
little advancement but a lot to learn about pets
Part-time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJune 14, 2017
I love the animals and taking care of them, and helping customers take care of their pets. Although I was given several hours of computer training so far I've put what I learned into very little use, as I'm mainly scheduled as a cashier. The schedule comes out every monday and always subject to change. Managers seem to do what they want when they want, and practice favoritism. They criticize you more then compliment you for the things you do.
Pros
animals and pet care tips
Cons
management sucks
the hours is good but...
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Braselton, GAJune 14, 2017
The hours are good but they don't pay much for what you do. You could be working as hard as you possibly can but they will always find something wrong and nothing is ever good enough. It's hard to drive your forklift in the aisles because people just leave pallets in the middle of the aisles. product, trash, and boxes are always all over the floor in the aisles. It's a mess...
Pros
vending machine prices are pretty good and reasonable.
Cons
They don't appreciate hard work...
Petco is an OK place to work
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 14, 2017
I personally did not enjoy my time at Petco. Other people may have a different experience. The whole place was very unprofessional and out of control.
Understaffed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mercer County, NJJune 14, 2017
Very uptight and hectic work environment since it was severely understaffed and the managers seemed to run around aimlessly, not knowing the proper orders to give to employees.
Not the place to work if you are career oriented and have bills to pay.
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Christiana, DEJune 14, 2017
If you like retail, this is the place for you. I was hired as the head dog trainer and spent 100% of the time at the register for the first 5 months, then was pushed through the dog training program. After all training was finished I felt like a used car salesman. Petco says they are all about the animals but are really about the money. All their training is how to sell, sell, sell, be pushy and don't take no for an answer. Pay was pathetic and no room for advancement. Manager at my store was the best. Absolutely loved him,but all managers are different. Loved the customer base and coworkers, but petco is big corporation and no different from all the others, your just a number. I was disappointed to find out it isn't an American owned or operated company and was embarrassed as a employee that they don't recognize our service men and women. All the money they rake in and can't give a military discount. The breaks were pathetic as well. Great starter job for the young, who still live at home and don't have bills to pay.
Pros
Nice work environment and customers
Cons
Low pay, short breaks, greedy company, and no benefits unless your full time, which is hard to get

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.