Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,836 reviews matching the search
Work and Fun!
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NEFebruary 21, 2017
I loved working here, the people were always so nice and they always focussed on the positive things! The company was also really good with whenever people asked to take the day off they were almost always able to get it in the schedule.
Productive, Relaxed
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2017
Working here has been a great opportunity and an honor. the guests are great. the food is great. its very relaxed. the entertainments fun and really cool.
Pros
Great People, Great Food
Cons
none at all
Under Staffed and Unpleasant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 18, 2017
Petco cares more about their customers than the animals they're responsible for. Customer service matters more to them than the health of the animals. The company limits hours but expects productivity to increase. They run a skeleton crew with no security cameras.
Pros
cute animals
Cons
everything else
Productive and loving environment
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COFebruary 17, 2017
I had a fun time at petco in 2015. I loved working with most of the floor managers and workers. I didn't have a strong relationship with the overall manager but if you love pets then you'll enjoy petco.
Cool interesting atmosphere
PET STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 17, 2017
Lots of fun and interesting people, great events they do on weekends like puppy playtime, potty training, dog training and adoption event from local shelters and rescue groups.
Great learning experience
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2017
Grooming dogs was a great learning experience and I enjoyed working with the different breeds of dogs that came through our salon. However, they changed the pay structure and it became difficult to meet their pay standard.
Petco
Pet Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Covington, WAFebruary 16, 2017
Petco is a great company and you can move up fast if you really put your mind to it. They are always watching and will see your hard work if you actually put it in. The management is caring and very supportive. Work place culture is fun and inviting! The hardest part of this job is trying not to take home all the animals you see! Another hard thing is getting your education of nutrition across to pet parents. What you feed really does matter. The most enjoyable part of this job is being around people who love pets just as much as you do.
Pros
Animal knowledge
Nothing positive
Inventory/ Pricing Department Leader (Current Employee) –  Mt. Kisco, NYFebruary 16, 2017
Awful place to work for stay far away as possible terrible management no human resources constant mistreating of employees if you enjoy being screamed at for going above beyond i suggest you apply
Pros
Cons
Name it
Great job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 16, 2017
I was a cashier I would work from 9am to 5pm on weekdays and 12pm or 1pm to 7pm or 8pm on weekends. I took care of the cats being that I was on the register and they were near me. I front and faced the front area of the store as well. everynow and then we would get small animals in the front of the store so when I had nothing else to do I would check on them. I also grabed crickets for customers which was scary :S but nothing too serious. The hiring manager and some of the other managers were kind of rude and treated us like we were stupid. I just ignored it. till they started picking on one of the newer managers then I steped in and told the manager and she got down the the bottom of it but she sugar coded it and made it seem like it was nothing. Other then that the job was great.
Pros
ok pay not great, good hours, great cowokrers, great for a first job
Cons
managers were bullies
Productive great animal care
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTFebruary 16, 2017
They were a great employer. My average day consisted of open or closing the store, reviews,, hiring or firing, animal care, over seeing a staff of 27 plus employees.
Pros
Bonus yearly.
Cons
No lunch for salary managment always on the clock.
Petco
Pet Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZFebruary 15, 2017
everyone likes pets and being around people that are passionate about that with you makes the job better. pay was min wage, store discounts, managers where good and environment was fun and friendly.
Pros
store discounts, managers where good
Cons
N/A
Nice co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 15, 2017
Work environment was fast paced at time. it was nice to work with both animals and people. Many of the store managers were helpful , a day consisted of cashiering ,keeping the store clean and assisting customers with whatever they needed.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
management was unstable at times
Not awful but can do better.
Manger (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 13, 2017
It's overall and okay company. They just need to decide what they want to do. They take away a lot of hours but keep adding more and more to do and then threaten a write up if not completed. It really depends on who your boss is. Most store leaders are fun, it's the district manager you need to look out for.
This Place Is ONLY A Stepping Stone
Groomer Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Avenue YFebruary 12, 2017
Petco was a great stripping stone. Management was terrible, Corporate was no help in fixing anything, people stole from the company so many times without being disciplined, but for minor issues you're alway penalized, work conditions were terrible, no one is flexible unless its convenient for them, the company is a joke!
Pros
Fun working with animals, great stepping stone if you plan on advancing in the animal field
Cons
short breaks, little pay, horrible working conditions, terrible management, corporate is no help, people steal from the company, penalized for no reason, not given your full hours
I wish I could say something nicer
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 11, 2017
I agree,
Middle school all over again. Management gets beat up from above and the hourly employees end up with mean managers in return.
HR is never helpful for questions about your money and benefits. Maybe that is not an accident?

"Oh sorry you missed out on open enrollment.
So sad we didn't send you the forms"

How about the " anonymous" survey you have to take as an employee. If answered honestly you will feel your store's management rath!!
Pros
Normal daylight hours, animals with no agenda
Cons
You can be called in at anytime, and don't ever get sick or you will get points.
good training, good benefits
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mission Valley, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Grooming, answering phones, handling customers. I gained a lot of experience and learned how to groom. Management has no accountability. The hardest part of the job was growing and gaining confidence and my grooming skill. The most enjoyable part was learning a new skill and growing with the help of my experience coworkers.
Pros
great benefits, paid time off, gained skill
Cons
inconvenient hours, overbooking, lacking team effort
Daily work.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 11, 2017
I was able to teach kids the value of hard work by giving them goals and a structure to their after school lives. I learned how to handle kids of all ages.
Not what it seems
Grooming Salon Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCFebruary 10, 2017
This company is not what it seems at all. Half of the tools they provide do not work, and they do not take the time or spend the money to fix them. They expect you to do your job with tools that do not work correctly then complain about the job not being done.
Pros
Cons
Everything they are not animal friendly. It's all about money
Great starting job
Senior Aquatic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Watauga, TXFebruary 10, 2017
Petco is a great place to get a start in everything from animal welfare to store management. You will learn many great skills you can apply in different job situations.
Pros
Great employee discounts, free lunch from vendors, amazing healthcare and benifits
Cons
Short lunches, raises after review are extremely minimal
not a good company
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 9, 2017
not a good company to work for. Poor management. Unrealistic expectations. Too hard on your body and they are never fully staffed. The staffing has a high turn over which is always a bad sign. The no muzzling rule had to be one of the last straws. Vets muzzle and groomers should be allowed to muzzle to protect their safety.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.