Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,271 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work with great coworkers
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lihue, HIAugust 20, 2017
It was very fun working here. The staff was awesome, but the job wasn't. Pet parents are very demanding and can sometimes be straight up rude. The shifts were okay, it just dragged.
Poor Management
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJAugust 19, 2017
During my years working at Petco as a groomer, I have overall been very unhappy with management and pay for the job that I was hired into. I am a certified pet stylist, with years of experience, working directly with dogs, sharp objects, customers, and a high level of expertise for what I am doing, and was making less than some of the basic store associates working on the floor, because of the company-wide change to their grooming salon pay system. The pay used to be good, but the entire system was changed last summer and is now not even worth working for. Unfortunately, I can probably make way more money working a desk job with much less stress and physical strain somewhere else. Over the past couple of months, our General Manager was transferred to another store, along with our assistant manager, and Petco does not wish to replace these positions in order to save money on payroll. This left us with ONE department manager, who was obviously not trained to play the role of GM and/or assistant manager, and therefore could not help out much. The salon manager was also transferred to another store shortly afterwards, and was replaced by a groomer who had JUST graduated out of school and was extremely inexperienced, untrained, and unprofessional when it came to both her employees and her customers. The complete lack of management in both the grooming department, and the store as a whole, led to an understaffed, ill-managed work environment with no one to turn to when there was an issue that needed answering or resolving. With such a short staff and having to deal with many things  more... on my own, I was almost never able to take a lunch break, even after working for many hours on my feet managing dogs, cleaning, and handling customers. Everything fell apart very very quickly, and I have heard other groomers and associates from neighboring towns and stores have the same problem. As a groomer, I would NEVER recommend anyone to apply to Petco, because even if your location has a full staff of managers, you will be SEVERELY underpaid and overworked. The stress level of this job is not worth tolerating, regardless of how much a person loves animals and being a groomer. Please do yourself a favor and apply to a local private or non-corporate grooming facility. There are definitely much better places to work than Petco.  less
Pros
Decent level of PTO
Cons
Hardly any breaks, lack of management, poor management, Underpaid, very high unnecessary stress
Productive and fast moving place
D.C. Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 18, 2017
10 hour shifts from 4 am to 2:30 pm
learned good communication skills
managed large groups at a time
enjoyable workplace over all
hardest part is the early start time
Pros
free lunches, good benefits
Cons
long shifts/ early start
Great employees
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAAugust 18, 2017
Management was hard to work for however the employees were great and friendly. Hours were not great and you get called in a lot because of it. If you love animals it's a good place to get started
Pros
Animals and employees
Sales
Stock Worker/ Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2017
I worked in sales, and I enjoyed working with animals also. The position was challenging, yet I enjoyed working with my bosses and coworkers. I reflect on my time at Petco with a positive feeling.
Good place to learn
Pet Stylist/Grooming Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Paso Robles, CAAugust 16, 2017
Petco was a great place to learn, they don't require any previous experience and send you through schooling for everything you need for the job. They not only offer hands on training but computer training as well.
Fast paced, unrelenting environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 16, 2017
Working in a retail setting should be something that is required in life. Its an extremely fast paced, always changing environment that truly keeps you on your toes. If you have had the opportunity to work in the retail market, then you know what it feels like to not work there anymore or shop at a store knowing first hand what it takes to do so. Life in retail is what you make of it, it can be the most rewarding thing at times and one or the worst experiences of your life the next. It is entirely based on your perspective and attitude.
Pros
Fast paced, always changing, empowering
Cons
long hours, no hours, no acknowledgement of work done, rude customers
Rewarding & Fun
Pet Groomer (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAAugust 16, 2017
A typical day in the salon at Petco includes being WET AND DIRTY all day! You are in full view of customers and clients during the grooming process. If you are confident in your job performance, and you love animals-this job is quite rewarding.
Pros
Unscheduled breaks
Cons
Unscheduled breaks
Run as fast as you can
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 15, 2017
You do not get paid enough for what your job entails or what you have to put up with. If you go above and beyond they dont care! Being short staffed is a big problem, yet corporate doesn't care, nor do upper management, just get the job done no matter what, but take care of the customer's, animals, and get your tasks done in your 4-8 hour shift. Oh and when you're short staffed you barely get a 15 minute lunch, if you get a lunch at all, let alone your two other paid breaks.
Pros
Discount on merchandise
Cons
Short staffed, employees attitudes towards management and each other, pay
Cool
Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 15, 2017
PETCO is a great starter job. Lots of fun!
There is always something to do and working with the animals is fun. There is definitely something new to learn everyday.
typical day at work
Shift Manager / Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 15, 2017
go in early as a key-holder. begin animal care/cleaning and open up grooming for angry customers who always showed up before we opened. Balanced registers and paperwork from night before. receive stock, verify inventory, hourly animal care and safety inspections .constant customer service calls and visits, returns, front end management/ cash drops, bank pickups, price changes, fronting and facing, cleaning, closing procedures, balancing cash and reports. lock up and alarm .
Exhilarating and time really flew by. I was always in a great mood working there even when things were overwhelming.
Pros
clean store, animals, customers who are passionate about their time there.
Cons
I worked a LOT of hours. my own fault, but still, a LOT of hours.
Interesting Workplace, great if you love animals!
Store Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NCAugust 15, 2017
Overall, I enjoyed working at Petco. I had worked in opening a new store, which was an experience in and of itself. My team of coworkers and management were phenomenal.
Pets do come first
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNAugust 15, 2017
Loved working with pets and adoption groups
Good work life balance
Great people to work with.
hardest part of job was freight management.
Struggled with upper management and their approach to people
Pet Oriented
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAAugust 14, 2017
Every day was about pets and customers. Petco always made sure the pets were taken care of along with customers and employees. Great place for starting your career. Small stores with lots of items to learn and sale. During each season you will be doing resets to bring in new items in for the season.
Pros
Great place for pet lovers
Cons
Salary is low
Great place to work. Awesome co-workers and caring for animals and customers.
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHAugust 14, 2017
I love working for Petco. It's a great environment with mangers that are rewarding to work for. The motto is animals always come first and I've seen that firsthand when our store spent over $3,000 to repair a guinea pig's broken leg. The staff feels like a family and everyone truly cares for the animals.
Fun Place to work for
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Highland, INAugust 14, 2017
Petco was a lot of fun to work for. I was able to pet everyone's pets and just about everyone who worked there and comes into Petco were nice people. if you are a quite and reserved type of person or if you don't like dogs then I would not recommend Petco to you
Pros
Lots OF DOGS!
Cons
fast paced and can be stressful
You get the good with the bad
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAAugust 14, 2017
Petco has been both rewarding and frustrating for me. Having worked there for more than 5 years, the store leader turnover rate is astonishing. At Petco we encourage training animals through positive rewards and encouragement. However, Petco manages its store leaders and department leaders through negativity, fear, and punishments. Payroll is given to stores just enough to complete minimum requirements. I believe that corporate thinks that guest interaction is a simple process, but in reality, one guest could take an extensively long time based on their prior knowledge and experience with animals. That being said the most rewarding part of working with Petco is getting to know your community. I love that I can help facilitate a love and a bond between a pet parent and the pet. There are so many people I see who are willing to provide the best care possible for their furry family member. It is a neat thing to be able to get a sense of the dynamics of not only a pet and pet parent relationship, but the relationships of entire families.
Pros
community, seeing animals, helping animals
Cons
upper management, payroll, old IT processes
Love this place!
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Falmouth, MAAugust 13, 2017
if you love pets, this place is for you! I worked in the grooming salon and it was one of the best jobs I have ever had. I only left this job because I needed a change. I highly recommend this job to anybody.
Pros
Employee discount, management is great, Paid time off, sick days
Cons
If your not full time, part time hours can be scarce sometimes
not what i was expecting
grooming apprentice (Former Employee) –  Eatontown, NJ 07724August 13, 2017
management was not the best, and the job description was not accurate. there was a lot of drama between employees, the management was very unprofessional
Yet was an alright setting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Middletown, RIAugust 13, 2017
My favorite place to work because of the animals. The management wasn't the greatest and the pay was below $8.20 , my co workers were enjoyable and quite helpful when I was in training.
Pros
Animals
Cons
No healthcare, low pay, hardly any raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval