Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,392 reviews matching the search
Poor pay, low job advancement opportunities
dog trainer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 15, 2017
Low pay, after being informed of higher pay and increases. Certain positions have little advancement, or it changes. Stressful environment. Low quality of day-to-day utilities in store. Some management are great, some horrible. Same with coworkers.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
low pay, hours, old registers
Take pets to office
VMO Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 14, 2017
The culture was very laid back and we were able to take our pets to work. I enjoyed working remotely, when needed. Unfortunately, the company was sold and they will probably close down the San Antonio, TX office.
Pros
Worked from home; took pet to work
Cons
Upper management not very communicative
horrible
Team Lead / Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 13, 2017
horrible place to work for. I would never recommend anyone to work here. Managers are all friends who act like high school girls THAT love to gossip. only promote within their circle and never to any one who works their butt OFF to earn it.
Petco is pretty cool.
Bather (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXOctober 13, 2017
Petco is pretty cool. i really enjoyed working there. Manager sucked but that wasn't a huge deal to me at the time. Loved working with animals all day.
Fun with Animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MOOctober 13, 2017
Fun place to work. morning shift cleaned animal habitats and fed animals med shift kept animal climates appropriate and night shift fed animals for night and cleaned up minor things in habitats and checked on climates. The dog trainer is exceptional and so are the employees.
Pros
Fun
Fun Culture
Supervisor; Vendor & Inventory Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 12, 2017
But....

- No clear path for advancement
- Underpaid and under appreciated
- Great new building
- Perks for animal lovers
- Nice people to work with
- Would rather same a buck then grow to keep talent
At least the animals are cute
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHOctober 11, 2017
Petco is all the pain and stress of regular retail, with the added chaos of being responsible for live animals. Like everywhere else, they're struggling with increased competition from online sales, and not handling it very well. The pay is way too low for the amount they expect from you and the stores are always understaffed. The district leaders are cold and out of touch with the reality of working in the stores. Despite this, it does tend to attract good people at the store level. I've liked most of my coworkers and had a few really great store leaders. Plus, sometimes customers bring in really cute puppies and we get to play with them.
Pros
Great employee discount, lots of PTO
Cons
everything else
Wouldn't work here again
Manager (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 11, 2017
This particular location had a high stress atmosphere, with a very demanding and by-the-book head manager. Unfortunately, most of my coworkers at the time didn't care one bit about the animals, and rarely interacted with them in a manner befitting another living being. For example, I was shocked to learn that the mice and rats would usually be picked up by their tails when moving them, which is painful and causes totally unnecessary fear in them. If you love animals, don't work here...or maybe do, and try to change how things are done.
Best job I've had
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 10, 2017
PetCo was the best job I've had, I'll always cherish the friends I made along my PetCo journey. This job taught me how to be a manager and taught me a lot of other things as my first real job. I wouldn't mind working here again.
Pros
Helping people, ability to move up quickly
Cons
Low manager wages
Productive, and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 10, 2017
Petco was fun if you love animals, but their is still a lot of retail work, people tend forget that aspect of it, but if you like seeing dogs and cats all day for okay pay it's the place to be
Pros
Discounts on dog food
Cons
Cleaning rat cages
loved working here
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAOctober 10, 2017
this job was awesome! totally loved the experience. never would've thought i would've touched some of the animals I've touched in there lol. my manager was a little weird but, other than that i loved my time there. would go back if i needed. i also adopted my beautiful guinea pig while i worked there.
Stressful Environment
Grooming Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Mattydale, NYOctober 10, 2017
Petco was not organized with anything that they did and they do not give the employees enough time to learn before they throw them in on their own. There is a point system that they use and even know they think your ready to be on your own most likely you will not be and that if anything goes wrong while you are out of training it is your fault and not the managers. If a customer complains even if you did not do anything wrong and they just wanted to get something for free it goes against you as well if you reach the amount of points allowed that they give you then they will fire you.
Loved the Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXOctober 9, 2017
I loved working with animals and working with my co-workers. You would get regular customers and form a bond with them. I was very rewarding and fun. The only problem was the pay was low
Pros
best workers, loved the pets, loved the atmosphere
Cons
low pay
Really a fun place to work
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 9, 2017
I liked petco a lot. They educated me about the animals we sold, the labor was never too difficult, the animals kept it interesting and there just wasn't much that made the time I the clock unbearable. It's simple: keep the animals healthy and happy and helpthe customers do the same
Pros
Animals, everyone loves talking about pets, oasis training for animal specialists, discounts, great managers
Cons
Dead animals, still retail, not a ton of pay for the care you put in, never a day when nobody is there, unimpressive raises
its not so good anymore
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Yucca Valley, CAOctober 9, 2017
I love working there however my hours went from 40 to 13 hours a week so seeking a second job. I have been there over a year and out of nowhere they cut my hours and I cant live off of $200 bi weekly and $400. a month is not going to cut it!!
Pros
good place to work
Cons
they cut my hours out of the blue and cant live off of 20 hours every pay period
It all depends on your managers
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2017
When I first started at PetCo, we had a really stellar team of managers and it really was an ideal job and I thought about advancing in the company, but a shift in management severely affected the environment and it has become very stressful to come in to work.
Pros
Opportunity to learn about Dog Training and animal care, Some Management
Cons
Benefits aren't awesome, Some Management
Poor leadership leads to poor morale
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 8, 2017
Days can be long and hard, but they can also be rewarding. It's great to get to see the guests/ clients that you are able to positively impact and help. It's stressful as the company continues to tighten the payroll belt. Many stores receive feedback that the guests have trouble finding help, yet payroll and staffing models do not allow for much additional help. Many store applicants are looking for FT opportunities while the stores can only offer PT spots in order to meet the demands of the guest driven hours vs task driven hours. District leadership struggles to promote teamwork among stores.
working for Petco
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILOctober 7, 2017
I love working for Petco, It was a fast pace job working in the salon. I started at first being a bather and I worked myself up and became a salon manger. I enjoyed my position as manger. There was a lot of multi tasking. People were amazing!
Pros
Benifit and my staff
Cons
The store was not ran currecly by the manager
Very busy
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Raritan, NJOctober 7, 2017
Great place to work if you love pets. The live animals have to be taken care of and maintained. the stores are held to the highest standards. Customer service is a must. Great Job, love pets, great product,
Pros
Pets, animals & products
Cons
Labor & very busy
Not good
Regional Distribution Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAOctober 6, 2017
Management really bad - no communication, no company direction. Not a lot of benefits. Long hours with nothing to show for it or any appreciation. Upper management doesn't care for employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.