Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,704 reviews matching the search
Petco has done a structural adjustment leaving doubts
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Place, USJuly 29, 2016
Petco is a strong company looking to stay relevant in the current retail market. This has shaken up the company in many good ways, however, it has put a black eye on the face of the organization. Upper management has reverted back to the style of fear and intimidation to get employees in line. The massive cuts in labor hours have crippled the store morale and put in place a culture reminiscent of the late 90's and early 2000's. The new structure lays out a plan for advancement for every person employed at the company but an 8% maximum salary increase makes it very unappealing.
Pros
Fantastic animal care, knowledge and education.
Cons
Upper management behaves as though it is a Wal-Mart.
minimum wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 13, 2016
The pay is minimum wage and you work very hard for very little compensation. They have a rewards program "caught in the act" but the trinkets they send only go to the managers, not the intended employee.
Working 8 hour shifts, you are lucky to get your break within the first 7 hours. Many times you will work all day, be take your 30 minute break, just to clock back in just to go home in 30 minutes.
I received a $.09 cent raise (nine cents!) after 11 months of employment. I was told it would've been $.20 (twenty cents) if I was there a year.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management, pay, lack of care for the animals.
Worked with great people and encountered great customers and their pets
Certified Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CANovember 4, 2016
A typical day at worked I would meet with my manager to discuss new strategies, teach a variety of classes, and set up calendars, schedules and new training initiatives.
Through each class and every animal and pet parent I met discovered more about animal behaviors, and throughout my career at Petco learned more about animal care.
I met regularly with management to discus how things were going and what could improve on my end and on their end for the customer and animals benefit.
As far as what the hardest part of the job would be is seeing owners neglect their animals.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be changing the home environment for the animals which changes the lives of the people and the pets, as well as providing knowledge to pet owners struggling with a sickness or injury as well as seeing families adopt new animals.
An alright starting job
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Delafield, WIOctober 17, 2016
While working at Petco you will soon learn that you will be overworked and under-payed. I've helped at multiple stores and the management culture is all the same. Push each employee to the limit without giving them the compensation or positive reinforcement they need.
Pros
Decent discount if you have pets.
Cons
Management forgets about breaks, low pay, overworked.
Low pay, terrible upper management.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 23, 2016
No payroll so we were often understaffed. Some of my managers were only paid $12 an hour to do a ridiculous amount of work. Upper management offers only negativity, no positive outlook on your performance. I loved my coworkers. I loved the animals. But one small mistake and you could find yourself unjustly fired. You make a mistake with loss prevention, they fire you. However, they don't research the thousands of customers stealing from the company daily. I loved my store, upper management ruined the company for me however.
Pros
Coworkers, animals
Cons
No payroll, terrible upper management, tough consequences for small mistakes
It's a good job to get experiences, and you definitly learn from those experiences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 4, 2016
I loved working here at first but over time I have found that you can't really grow in the company that much. They don't give good raises and don't pay very good for all the labor that is involved in the job. It's not a normal retail job by any means. My co-workers and managers were awesome, but policies were very strict. Other wise it's a good first time job, you learn a lot about different animals and their different needs, you learn to be less grossed out about things, and you learn about the circle of life. For future jobs you do learn to be very patient, good at multitasking and you get the customer service experience. They also require their workers to sell products and services (such as dog training classes and vetco). It's not a bad job, it just gets exhausting after you've been there for a while.
Pros
Great discounts, experiences, working with animals
Cons
Under payed, hours, policies are strict
A great place to work as long as you have a good team
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Middletown, DEAugust 31, 2016
I loved my experience at Petco and wouldn't trade it for the world. It started me on the career path that I hope to have for the rest of my life and I was lucky enough to have a great set of people to work with as well as wonderful benefits, a 401K, and PTO. The pay however was simply not enough to support my growing family.
Pros
Benefits, Great work environment, PTO
Cons
Pay, District Management
Terrible pay with even worse management
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Crescent Springs, KYDecember 4, 2016
It's a standard retail job with subpar compensation. Until you get above being a regular cashier. Management doesn't care, especially above store level. You go to them with a problem and they turn it around on you and make it seem like you're the problem when you ask for help.

They're constantly adding new sales initiatives with no real support to help you reach the goals. The focus is no longer on the animals, but simply selling services while wellbeing falls by the wayside.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, low pay, overworked, sales initiative, no help
productive and fun workplace
DEPARTMENT/INVENTORY/ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXNovember 9, 2016
great employment opportunities and excellent opportunities for advancement withing the company.
management is easy to work with.
location is prime for sales.
excellent benefits and perks.
The worst company I've ever worked for!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside TylerSeptember 22, 2016
Went in hoping to move into corporate. Little did I know that practically the entire company is outsourced to call centers in India.....EVEN HUMAN RESOURCES! That's right, if you have a question for HR, get ready to call someone who has no idea how to answer your question. 6 month probation period, and they just keep you on part-time afterwards, so they don't have to give benefits to any non-manager employee. Horrible management too. Stay away!!!!
Cons
Was once a good place to work
General manager (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYApril 11, 2016
At one time I loved working for Petco it was rewarding in ways I never thought I'd get from a job. Then the changes started and didn't stop. I understand every business needs to be competitive but changing your direction every month is a bit much. Upper management had their own agenda and if you weren't on board you were out. If you had your own opinion you had better keep it to yourself I would consistently write emails regarding store issues or a question and upper management would never answer. It would take weeks before you had an answer and at that point you forgot what you had even reached out for. There have been numerous lay offs at a corporate level and down sizing within the company there's no job security. I stayed because I loved the work, the customers, my staff but it's not worth the pressure and intimidation tactics used by upper management.
Completely depends on managers
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKNovember 2, 2016
Can be an awesome and fun job as long as the managers allow the environment to be that way. The pay is pretty low and there isn't always much room for advancement even in large stores. The "raises" are a complete joke (9-20 cents per year). There isn't any bonuses or great benefits either. You get good deals on the products. Being a dog trainer made the job great and exciting. Just a regular associate can be super repetitive and boring.
horrible place of work
Merchandise Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  OklahomaDecember 7, 2016
Horrible place of buissbess if ssupporting a family. Management is like being in highschool all over again, with all the drama and talking trash behind the others that work harder then managment. Store manager favors the females, makes sure they dont have to lift a finger while making the males do the hard work while the females stand arround and talk on their phones.
Pros
get to make customers feel stupid
Cons
management
Great work environment filled with excitement and learning
Sale Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 29, 2016
Days where long but extremely fun and very well paced wasn't to fast or to slow. Management was okay slow to give due credit in kind though, and the hardest part of the job was making sure that the animals where okay as well as customers being in high spirits. My co-workers where all well trained and highly professional and enjoyed the work as much as I did; which I would say is the most enjoyable part of this job.
Pros
Animals, co-workers, and customers.
Cons
Management, Benefits, and company wide gratitude for great work.
Nothing, good benefits
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GAOctober 5, 2016
Good benefits, a lot of PTO after a year of service. Long hours, hard to make plans in the weekends with friends and family because you dont know if youre are going to work or not until the last min. No advancement.
Upper Management get it together
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CANovember 18, 2016
This job would be great i if it wasn't for upper (District Manager and above) management. Too much micro managing and constant threats for not meeting their ridiculous services goals. They need to realize there is only so much you can do when they keep cutting payroll and their are only two employees running the store.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
no overtime but expect you to ged everything done
Petco was an amazing job
Customer service (Former Employee) –  The Dalles, ORDecember 8, 2016
A typical day at work for me was walking into work all my co-workers greeting me with smiles on their faces. From working at petco, i learned a whole new meaning for team, me and all my co-workers were a team and ive never worked in such an inviting enviroment. My managers were awesome and very friendly at all, i never had any issues with management or my co- workers. My co-workers werent just people i worked with, they became my friends and i still to this day talk to almost all of them. The hardest part about working there was having to clean animal cages and catch crickets when i had a huge fear of them. The most enjoyable part about working here was loving to get up and go to work to hang out with all my co-workers and the animals.
Pros
get to hold any animal i want, discounts, friendly staff
Cons
cleaning animal cages, sticking my bare hands in buckets filled with live crickets
best job I've worked
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Montrose, COSeptember 6, 2016
Being a groomer at petco for over 2 years now, I have come to find when it comes to grooming, if you are a likeable person and work hard, you can make very good money. Money is based partly on hourly and partly on commission so if you make what the company expects of you, you can make over $2000 a month. Both the people, and the pets that I work with make this job, a job that would be hard to leave. The employees are friendly and the managers have your back when you are dealing with frustrating customers. The pto is amazing. They gave me 137 hrs of pto my first year at petco! Insurance is also very affordable and offers a lot to all full time Petco employees. Having that said, I should note that it seems to be only small towns where groomers have the highest pay and most opportunity.
Pros
high pay, pto, insurance
Cons
hard work
bad management, bad pay
Dog and Cat Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 4, 2016
Management will make promises to you and never keep them. When it comes to advancement they have in mind who they want take what role without giving others a chance to interview. It's pointless to work hard, get a degree to move up, and never advance. Even if you do advance your raise will be a few cents.
I love this job
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 27, 2016
I love my job with Petco. The management is flexible with scheduling within reason, the coworkers are fun and easy to get along with and the majority of the customers are a joy. You will always have your few bad apples, but overall this is my favorite job to date. Unfortunately there isn't much room for advancement in my area and the pay is on the lower side (not minimum wage, but not overly high, either). It's difficult trying to learn all the departments of the store because corporate keeps saying we don't have the hours to be able to teach people everything, which is a shame because there's so much I would like to learn about everything. I make less at this job than I do at my other, and have always been asked why I keep it if I make so much less. My answer every time is that I love this job and would keep it even if I didn't financially need it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.