Petco

1.1K reviews

Petco Employee Reviews

Loved this job!
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee), Kaneohe, HIAugust 1, 2015
I became a full time student and the commute in Hawaii was too ridiculous for me to handle school and the job.
I would work at PETCO again ANYDAY!
It's a good place to enjoy the trade I do.
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLJuly 31, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: management hasn't always be ideal
Petco is a great company with countless opportunities for it to grow and expand in the grooming salons as well as the store. It'd be great one day to have Vetco built into our stores to compete with petsmart and their banfield partners.
Pet supplies store
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Kirkland, WaJuly 30, 2015
Open and closing procedures, reconcile cash registers, make bank deposit, greet customers, supervise employees. Managers were very supportive of the employees. Assisting customers with their pets health needs was the best part.
Corporate needs to loosen some rules and be more in touch with the employees.
Pet Groomer (Former Employee), Irondequoit, NYJuly 30, 2015
The company has too many guidelines for the employees to follow. I understand this is necessary to a certain degree, but the local management does not have enough input. My co-workers and local manager had no choice but to let me go, even though they did not think this was fair. Benefits at this company are very poor.
work from home
contractor/ consultant (Current Employee), homeJuly 29, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: not enough hours
Work from home part time. Manage Applicant pro to help markets with getting new candidates for hire. Provide documents to help with tracking of candidates for each market throughout the US.
terrible
Cashier (Former Employee), Allston, MAJuly 28, 2015
cvsfvsf vs vsd v sdfv sfd vsfd v sdv sd vsd v dsv dssd vf sd sdvsd vsdsd dsv sdvsd sdvsdv f vfdv fvdsfv sdvzs fdv fsvzsfb fsbvsfavb asfbvbfs afsbfs saf
Tough place to work if your in management
General Manager (Former Employee), Council Bluffs, IAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Helping pet owners.
Cons: Dealing with upper management
Petco was a great place to work if you were just a associate, once you get in to management you don't have the time to help customers. Petco Corporate staff are hard to work with. Standards are different per store, per territory, per district manager.
great people, dedicated to helping customers, pet orientated
Temporary Employee (Former Employee), Palmdale, CAJuly 26, 2015
Pros: customer service, met new pets, great people
Cons: not enough hours in the day
fast paced work area, pet based, hardworking employees, always something new happening keeping work area clean at all times, keep cages clean
Excellent ideals, poor execution.
Department Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Laid-back work place.
Cons: Pay, micromanagement.
Working at Petco has been interesting. My team is great, my store is great, and my customers are great. At a store level, everything is fine. However, you have to deal with constant changing in rules and procedures for returns, animal care, etc. You have to push things constantly that people don't want even if it really is an excellent opportunity for the customers, and you have to basically read a script when you answer the phone just in case you get called by upper management. Dog training, clinics, etc all have to be mentioned.

All in all, it's great place to work if you're not looking to get paid much and it can be very much laid back if you let it.
decent job
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Glen Cove, NYJuly 25, 2015
Pros: the work is always the same
Cons: unless your part time be prepared to cover other peoples shifts
like any other retail job, petco can be stressful. being willing to pick up other peoples slack is key. Management was fair and relied on those who could be trusted which often led to favoritism throughout the store but its mostly unavoidable when people call in sick and you have no choice but to cover a position in a short amount of time.
Productive and fun workplace, but with questionable managment.
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee), Colleyville, Grapevine, Watauga, TXJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Relaxed environment. Advancement opportunities.
Cons: unpredictable/questionable management/animal treatment. incomplete training
A typical day at work for a groomer includes but is not limited to: coming in early, getting supplies ready for the first arrivals, checking the client list/schedule, and forming a game plan.
I've learned a lot from this job, a few things being how to: multi-task, work in a fast-paced environment, manage my time and/or stress, book appointments, provide excellent customer service and build customer relations, recognize some animal behaviors, adhere to safety precautions of various types, etc.
Management varies widely, most managers are fair and only want the best from you and for the company. They have quotas to fill and each store is quite nicely competitive with others. This competitiveness can take a darker turn depending on the person, but generally is in good fun and seems to result in overall company betterment.
Co-workers will also vary widely, there seems to be a lot of down-time depending on the department and this provides for a relaxed work environment but also seems to make way for complaining and/or gossiping.
The hardest part of the job seems to be that there is a confused blurry line of what is expected and what isn't. There is a need for training in all departments and for every job type that is offered. I mean to say that, from what I've witnessed, people are promoted or moved around with little to no preparation for that individual to excel in their new responsibility. This causes frustrations on all levels, for the individuals, their superiors, their subordinates, and their equals. Another difficult part of this job is that with this subjective lack of training, our motto (..animals always come first.) isn't always upheld; being an animal lover, this is something that would always bother me on many levels because this motto is not only something that I believe in, but is something that they advertise.
Loved working with animals
General Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 24, 2015
I enjoyed working for Petco, loved working with the staff, training and development. Worked with other store managers after being promoted to General Manager.
Fun and yet challenging to the very end
Custodian (Former Employee), Glendale, CAJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Confidence and Respect
Cons: No Future
1. Typical Day - On the very first day, I had to take care of the following: stocking shelves, dusting, picking up boxes and displaying merchandises.

2. What you learned - I learned about organization, cleaning up, picking up boxes, dusting and displaying merchandises.

3. Management - I had to clean up the aisle, as I go to and fro, back and forth of the store within the hour and help and take care of the customers and provide with an excellent customer service skills of what they need the most.

4. Your co-workers - I had to go through a lot of manual labor and work on by hand and foot, assigned by managers and accept every task and get it completed and done during the day.

5. The hardest part of the job - It was easy at first, then after one month, it gets pretty steep and difficult, but I had to accept and go through with cleaning animal dirt and to finish the job.
Completed my occupation, it was okay and fine, then I went back to school.

6. The most enjoyable part of the job - I had to dust, clean, swipe, sweep up any debris, dust, dirt, particles and other waste, that I cleaned it up and tossed it straight in the trash. Took care of the shopping carts, excellent good work habits on bringing back the carts and place back to their shopping cart garages, the place where you back the shopping carts, when you're done with it or where it belongs, I place it back to its own homes, at the pet store.
Fun to work at
Dog Trainer/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAJuly 20, 2015
Everyone had fun working and everyone went out of their way to help each other. All the people that work there have passion.
fun place to work at
Customer Advisor and animal care (Current Employee), Lakewood, CAJuly 19, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: short staffed
fun customer and pets
great place to work if you love animals and want to work in the animal field ex, vet or vet tech
we get breaks, lunches, take the animals to the vet and get to bond with the pets and pet parents
Petco is Great!
Dog Bather/Groomer (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 18, 2015
Pros: Nice breakroom, flexible schedules
Cons: Working Holidays
Working at Petco was awesome, I had a great boss and good co-workers. Flexible schedules and a lot of room for improvement both on the floor and in the grooming salon.
productive workplace
Cashier/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Glendale, CAJuly 17, 2015
i learned a lot about different products for different animals. I learned more about customer service. and it helped me open up.
It is okay.
Sales associate (Former Employee), Homestead, PAJuly 17, 2015
Working at Petco is fun, but the pay isn't the best. It requires a lot of training, and most of the time you're either at the cashier or on floor speaking about dog food.
Fair
Sales Associate, Customer service (Current Employee), Mount Prospect, ILJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Was able to work around my schedule, great people (at my store) to work with
Cons: Very few working hours, low pay wage, terrible pay raises.
Working for a huge corporation has its pros and cons; however, there were more cons than there were pros working for Petco.

I LOVE the people I work with, as well my regular customers! I love greeting people and helping them choose the best products for their pets.

I have worked for three different General Managers, as well as five different store managers, all of which I have liked tremendously! I had/have a wonderful working relationship with all of them.

My co-workers are wonderful as well. I enjoy talking to them and helping them in the various departments of my store.

The hardest and worst part of my job is that the corporation of Petco doesn't care about it's employees. It is evident in the low pay raises (POSSIBLY .30 every 6 months), and the way we are treated. I was just informed by my General Manager that employees who work less than 15 hours a week will be fired by August 16, 2015. The store I work at has had it's hours cut weekly(the amount of working hours the GM can schedule employees to work weekly) by over 50 hours per week. The work load remains the same, but fewer employees are allowed to work them.

I have worked at Petco for almost three years. I have an outstanding work, customer service, and attendance record. I LOVE my job, but unfortunately,that doesn't seem to mean anything to the corporation.
Busy and productive workplace
Grooming Assistant/Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Murfreesboro, TNJuly 16, 2015
Working as a Pet Stylist is a very high-energy position that requires great, constant customer service and team work. It is a rewarding job that provides me an outlet for my passion for animals, and allows me to build personal relationships with pets and their parents. I have enjoyed working with my co-workers past and present, and many of them continue to be personal friends.
Headquarters