Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,889 reviews matching the search
Store manager was wonderful
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 3, 2017
My salon manager seemed unstable and she talked about everyone.She did not treat everyone the same.She had a close relationship with one groomer that even further complicated things.One day she would be happy and talking to you the next she would be angry and grumpy for who knows what.The store manager was wonderful and honestly gave me opportunities to talk to her but I chose to leave. Guest experience manager not very helpful
Pros
Wonderful store manager
Cons
Messy Salon manager
Productive and fun place to work
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMarch 7, 2017
A typical day at work was answering phones, grooming dogs, and enjoying my employees as well as my customers.
I learned different ways of grooming, and management skills thanks to the people I worked with. Our work ethics were very high because we had the privilege of working with living things.
The most difficult part of the job would've been dealing with the dogs who liked to bite. The most enjoyable or rewarding was to see the finished product.
Pros
Worked Tuesday through Saturday
Cons
When business was slow
My work surrounds me with animals I laugh every shift no matter what.
Associate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 22, 2017
I love working at a pet store. There are always activities and time flies by. The knowledge required to properly care for companion animals, reptiles, birds, and aquatic life is offered and a majority of the time encouraged for an employee to utilize. However the pay is not great, hr is difficult to deal with, and all on-site personnel should understand guests are important and each deserves our attentions but animals, especially our in-store animals, come first.
Mostly Great People to work for.
PET STYLIST APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 2, 2017
I absolutely loved my coworkers for the most part. I worked in the grooming salon, but even the other employees on the floor were extremely nice. The job itself was hard on your body and sometimes stressful but very much worth it.

Unfortunately my Salon manager was a bully. That was easily the hardest part of the job. She was awful and everyone knew it. She had caused countless people to quit and eventually I did the same. I'm amazed I even lasted a couple months since most people didn't last a week with her.e.
Pros
Helpful coworkers, east people to work with
Cons
sometimes no breaks, poor management
Petco Grooming
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10025February 22, 2017
It was always busy, I liked that the most. The dogs were great to be around and as long as we were good to the animals, their pet parents were pleasant toward us. I learned how to interpret corporate data, complete weekly progress reports, track my own progress in terms of overall salon profit, and handle difficult situations in the work place. The hardest part was trying to accommodate a customer whose sole concern was the cost of grooming their pet. While I was willing to take a hit on my own commission, there was only so much I could do to secure a lifetime customer. I really loved the dogs.
Pros
Full health benefits
Cons
Managers were slow to respond when customers asked to speak to a manager.
Good company
Sales Associate/demo specialist (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILMarch 1, 2017
I dont have much to say but this company has its moments. Managers can be alright but otherwise can be a pain. False promises are often given out freely only because you have to do good by thier standards. If they don't approve of your best they often throw professional insults at you basically stating it's good but not good enough. I had fun working here. It makes a great job if you love animals as much as I do.
Pros
Customers can be great
Cons
General managers and managers can over do it
petting puppies at a nice workplace
Merchandise Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Englewood, OHMarch 8, 2017
first thing you do when you come in, in the mornings is the animals. they have to be feed, watered and make sure they are healthy, the store opens up. you assist customers, check people out, help people take things to their car. you clean and organize through out the day. For closing, you straighten up the product, sweep, mop, take out trash. make sure the store looks great,
I have learned so much about all the animals petco carries.
the people that work at petco are very laid back and kind.
the hardest part of the job is when we lose an animal.
the most enjoyable thing is petting puppies and playing with other animals through the work day
Pros
animals
Cons
short breaks, healthcare
Petco
Pet Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Covington, WAFebruary 16, 2017
Petco is a great company and you can move up fast if you really put your mind to it. They are always watching and will see your hard work if you actually put it in. The management is caring and very supportive. Work place culture is fun and inviting! The hardest part of this job is trying not to take home all the animals you see! Another hard thing is getting your education of nutrition across to pet parents. What you feed really does matter. The most enjoyable part of this job is being around people who love pets just as much as you do.
Pros
Animal knowledge
This Place Is ONLY A Stepping Stone
Groomer Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Avenue YFebruary 12, 2017
Petco was a great stripping stone. Management was terrible, Corporate was no help in fixing anything, people stole from the company so many times without being disciplined, but for minor issues you're alway penalized, work conditions were terrible, no one is flexible unless its convenient for them, the company is a joke!
Pros
Fun working with animals, great stepping stone if you plan on advancing in the animal field
Cons
short breaks, little pay, horrible working conditions, terrible management, corporate is no help, people steal from the company, penalized for no reason, not given your full hours
I wish I could say something nicer
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 11, 2017
I agree,
Middle school all over again. Management gets beat up from above and the hourly employees end up with mean managers in return.
HR is never helpful for questions about your money and benefits. Maybe that is not an accident?

"Oh sorry you missed out on open enrollment.
So sad we didn't send you the forms"

How about the " anonymous" survey you have to take as an employee. If answered honestly you will feel your store's management rath!!
Pros
Normal daylight hours, animals with no agenda
Cons
You can be called in at anytime, and don't ever get sick or you will get points.
good training, good benefits
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mission Valley, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Grooming, answering phones, handling customers. I gained a lot of experience and learned how to groom. Management has no accountability. The hardest part of the job was growing and gaining confidence and my grooming skill. The most enjoyable part was learning a new skill and growing with the help of my experience coworkers.
Pros
great benefits, paid time off, gained skill
Cons
inconvenient hours, overbooking, lacking team effort
Good company, but not for long term employment (5+ years rare)
Director, Supply Chain Team (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Good company, solid executive team, but very lean after recent large layoffs. Very expense driven from new private equity owners (purchased Jan 2016). If you're in a job running or managing operations, you're typically safe. If you're in a support role, just understand you could be part of the next wave of layoffs. Experienced 3 large corporate office layoffs in the last 4 years, largest recently (Jan, 2017)
Pros
Sales still growing in tough retail environment
Cons
Pay and benefits weak in comparison to peers
Surrounded by great people and regulars every shift.
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 28, 2017
Everyone at work is super friendly everyday I come in for my shift. I love being able to work with the animals on a daily basis. Even better though is we have some great regulars who come in to shop. Working here you will really create bonds with your customers getting to know them each time they come in while you help them find the care needs of their pet.
Pros
Great work environment, handling animals, great customer service
Productive and caring work environment
Dog Trainer/Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at work includes clocking in, and doing assigned tasks, while also helping customers with any questions or concerns.
I learned the most efficient and most humane way to train dogs and help their owners form a lasting bond, keeping dogs out of shelters.
Management is efficient at keeping a productive and positive work environment.
The best part of the job was working with the animals, and helping them find great homes, and helping owners with all their pet care needs.
Pros
Learning opportunities, customer interaction
Cons
Short hours
Fun place to work
Forklist Operator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 25, 2017
A day of work at petco for me included but was not limited to Handling and organizing all materials to minimize damage, operating forklift equipment and performing routine maintenance during down time, safely and neatly maintaining storage areas, entry and exit points, and all high traffic avenues of the facilities to allow for unobstructed safe passage. Unload and stock incoming material from vendors. And report directly to the Operations Manager.
Wonderful place to work if you have the right managers,
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJanuary 23, 2017
I truly loved my job as a pet stylist at Petco! It had great benefits, wonderful staff and an all around great vibe to it. However, not everything is great when it comes to management. Very questionable in most cases (not with just the store I was working at) 9 times out of 10 the wrong person will go up to management. Aside from that I'd highly recommend it!
Pros
Wonderful work environment, great benefits.
Cons
Very fullfilling job. Must be customer oriented.
Merchandise Order Leader (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 16, 2017
Petco gives you a lot of opportunities to move ahead. They have many training programs to educate their employees on a regular basis. We are not there just to wait on customers but we are trained to teach and answer questions our customers have to educate and help them understand. Must be a people person. Animals always come first right along with customers. Need to greet every customer that walks through the door.
Pros
Education about animals. Fantastic vacation time.
Cons
Open 7 days a week. Only 2 holidays off per year.
Fun place to work
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 22, 2017
A typical day at work would be trying new things. Never a dull moment. I've learned so much over the years and have developed skills that I can utilize in any work place. Management does care about it's employees and encourages them to grow in their career. The most enjoyable part of the job was building working relationships with your co-workers.
Pros
Pets welcome at the corporate office, great people
Easy and fun, as long as your not a bad employee or your manger isn't mean.
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 12, 2017
The company is cool and workers can range from awesome to terrible. Really depends on location. recommended for any one into animals, anyone attempting to become a vet or vet assistant. Also recommended for any one that needs a very flexible schedule. Easy to move up the latter if your interested in that kind of thing.
Pros
flexible hours. mostly good workers. get to pet animals
Cons
not intrested becoming upper management, sucks if you have any type of allergies.
Never work here!
Groomer (Current Employee) –  HostonJanuary 30, 2017
The managers are extremely rude and lazy they don't do anything.
The pay is horrible !
If your a groomer you have to give them 835$ a week before even commissioning out !
The customers that come in here are crazy, They want everything super cheap and complain a lot .
Working for this company is a complete drag and sucking the life out of me !
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Everything! They are screwing you over on pay and taking you money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.