Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,206 reviews matching the search
Petco Life
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 6, 2016
If I were to open which I do more often than anything I would have to clean all the animal habitats and insure that they had clean water food and cage. I would also have to inspect each animal and see if they had any injuries or sickness.

I also had to check the fish habitats and remove the dead fish and wipe the glass of algae.

At the registers I had to check out each guest and talk with them at the same time to make sure they liked and found everything to their liking. At the same time I was checking out people I had to clean up around me and keep a close eye on the animals to make sure that they still were safe, healthy, and finally alive.

At closing we would insure each animal was okay and had enough water for the night.

The managers love animals just as much and I do and they were even more deicated to making everything perfect just to insure that everyone and everything was safe. and everything was fun for you, the animals, and the guests.

the managers are the most enjoyable as well as other employees.
i was temporary.
Stocker/Remodel Team (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, WIFebruary 5, 2016
this job was only two weeks long. I was there to help get the store renovated. it was third shift forty hours a week. I put shelves and fixtures together and stocked the shelves.
Working with animals made the difference
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 5, 2016
Petco was a decent company to work for, I enjoy animals and I believe that amplified my experience here. It was confusing trying to balance computer training with in shop training because you can't be in two places at once. However, my supervisor was very helpful in finding a balance between co-workers scheduling and training me while working with customers.
Pros
Animal Association
Cons
Online Training
It's Corporate
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 4, 2016
This company only cares about warm bodies. They don't care that they have capable employees that know what they are doing. They will either make your work life so awful that you quit or get rid of you if you actually know what you are doing. Because, then they would have to pay you more.
okay.
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Management picks favorites and work schedules around their own personal life. The animals are the best part of the job but they dont give you hours to complete your job.
Its not all playing with fuzzy cute critters
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingman, AZFebruary 1, 2016
Working at Petco is like no other retail business. Take retail and add tiny little lives that you are responsible for to it. Multi-tasking is a must considering a usual work crew is 1 cashier and 1 person on the sales floor. Employee turnover is high. As an example: In 5 years there have been 4 different GM's 3 different DM's and countless associates that have come and gone.
Pros
Interaction with animals
Cons
Skeleton work crew
PetCo adoption helper
Petco Pet Adoption Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ocean Beach, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Had fun getting to know the animals and seeing them go home. Daily cleanings and feeding are apart of the job. I liked working there, the management was organized.
not all great
pet stylist apprentice (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Fun co-works but bad management. grooming dogs suck. company didn't follow policies. having good dogs were great . being forced to do aggressive dogs were horrible
Pros
Cons
Company didnt follow policies
Petco
Cashier, Stocker, Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJanuary 23, 2016
They weren't the best in any given circumstance. Wasn't the best place for me however I worked and worked and did everything I needed to accomplish for the day
Working for Petco
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Royersford, PAJanuary 21, 2016
I've certainly learned a lot and grown as a manager while working for Petco. They are genuinely a great company to work for.
Fun place to work with animals to learn more about the caring of the animals
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2016
The shifts would alter a bit depending on what was needed for the store. It was fun to work with the animals as long as you put the work into learning more about each type.
Hours are so budgeted and does not have enough hours for employee
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Some people work hard some people are just taking their time when they are doing their job. Hours are so budgeted and does not have enough hours for employees.
Pros
free lunch once in a while
Cons
30 minutes break
sorry career
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 15, 2016
when I first started working there , they cared about the animals and the employees. in the last year or so, they push the groomers into taking too many dogs and push the dog trainers to put puppies in unsafe conditions. the grooming dept being a chamber of horrors for your dog. they had so many cut dogs at the store. vet bills. druggy groomers. managers overworked and stores understaffed. I hope they close them down and all upper management loses their jobs
Pros
20% discount on overpriced food
Cons
no real raises for store employees even when promoted
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate/Small Animal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXJanuary 15, 2016
Loved working with the animals. Bosses were nice and pretty laid back. great place to work for young adults. Hardest part was not being able to keep the pets.
its watevr
Lead Stocker, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJanuary 14, 2016
honestly not much to get out of working at a pet store, was fun doing over nights and had fun with the co-workers I got to work with
Fun workplace with good ethics
Sales Expert (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 13, 2016
Hard Busy job that requires skills of customer relations coworkers need a lot of help and promoting is kind of difficult for a person with my skills
Hot in summer and they had us locked in there like pigs in a sweat box.
Cherry Picker (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 12, 2016
The company has goals but the problem is too many Chiefs and not enough Indians . TOO much confusion because nobody wants to listen. And they do not care about their employees.
Pros
The people that I worked with were excellent
Cons
The way the Supervisors ran the warehouse. The benefits were NO help at all.
Was fun to work for but then a change in direction of company goals and it became impossible to manage all daily tasks all while delivering service.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJanuary 12, 2016
With all the changes that were required on a daily basis it became difficult to offer great customer service. The company was more worried about making up lost sales due to an unrealistic budget. I don't know who was suffering the most, the animals or the customers or even the staff in the stores that they seem to forget about the hard work day to day.
It often felt like the Store teams were looked down on because you didn't sell one more Dog Training class or missed a training class on the training kiosk that told you all the things your doing wrong with Grooming sales. There were many good days and great relationships built but those were becoming far and fewer days.
Pros
Learning about all the small animals and aquatic life.
Cons
small staff schedules, any call in and you have to work with only one other person on most occasions.
Great place for animal lovers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, MOJanuary 9, 2016
I enjoyed Petco as well as the employees. I had a wonderful boss who was a leader and not just a boss he never left you hanging he was willing to help pull the load. Most days I enjoyed caring for all the critters making sure they were all healthy, proper habitat set up and, supplied with food and water. One job it seemed like I was the only one to enjoy was cleaning and caring for the cricket bins.The most enjoyable part was sharing stories about pets with shoppers. The hardest part to take in was people dumping their pets with hate sometimes even throwing the pets at us or threatening to throw them in the streets.
Pros
Playing with the lovely critters
Cons
Abandoned pets
Great place to work!
Sales associate/cashier, nutrition specialist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 7, 2016
Great people to work with, i loved the atmosphere and the customers. I enjoyed helping people and their pets. Petco was a wonderful job, my favorite.