Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,834 reviews matching the search
Petco
Pet Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Covington, WAFebruary 16, 2017
Petco is a great company and you can move up fast if you really put your mind to it. They are always watching and will see your hard work if you actually put it in. The management is caring and very supportive. Work place culture is fun and inviting! The hardest part of this job is trying not to take home all the animals you see! Another hard thing is getting your education of nutrition across to pet parents. What you feed really does matter. The most enjoyable part of this job is being around people who love pets just as much as you do.
Pros
Animal knowledge
This Place Is ONLY A Stepping Stone
Groomer Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Avenue YFebruary 12, 2017
Petco was a great stripping stone. Management was terrible, Corporate was no help in fixing anything, people stole from the company so many times without being disciplined, but for minor issues you're alway penalized, work conditions were terrible, no one is flexible unless its convenient for them, the company is a joke!
Pros
Fun working with animals, great stepping stone if you plan on advancing in the animal field
Cons
short breaks, little pay, horrible working conditions, terrible management, corporate is no help, people steal from the company, penalized for no reason, not given your full hours
Very fullfilling job. Must be customer oriented.
Merchandise Order Leader (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 16, 2017
Petco gives you a lot of opportunities to move ahead. They have many training programs to educate their employees on a regular basis. We are not there just to wait on customers but we are trained to teach and answer questions our customers have to educate and help them understand. Must be a people person. Animals always come first right along with customers. Need to greet every customer that walks through the door.
Pros
Education about animals. Fantastic vacation time.
Cons
Open 7 days a week. Only 2 holidays off per year.
Fun place to work
Forklist Operator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 25, 2017
A day of work at petco for me included but was not limited to Handling and organizing all materials to minimize damage, operating forklift equipment and performing routine maintenance during down time, safely and neatly maintaining storage areas, entry and exit points, and all high traffic avenues of the facilities to allow for unobstructed safe passage. Unload and stock incoming material from vendors. And report directly to the Operations Manager.
Productive and caring work environment
Dog Trainer/Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at work includes clocking in, and doing assigned tasks, while also helping customers with any questions or concerns.
I learned the most efficient and most humane way to train dogs and help their owners form a lasting bond, keeping dogs out of shelters.
Management is efficient at keeping a productive and positive work environment.
The best part of the job was working with the animals, and helping them find great homes, and helping owners with all their pet care needs.
Pros
Learning opportunities, customer interaction
Cons
Short hours
Surrounded by great people and regulars every shift.
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 28, 2017
Everyone at work is super friendly everyday I come in for my shift. I love being able to work with the animals on a daily basis. Even better though is we have some great regulars who come in to shop. Working here you will really create bonds with your customers getting to know them each time they come in while you help them find the care needs of their pet.
Pros
Great work environment, handling animals, great customer service
Good company, but not for long term employment (5+ years rare)
Director, Supply Chain Team (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Good company, solid executive team, but very lean after recent large layoffs. Very expense driven from new private equity owners (purchased Jan 2016). If you're in a job running or managing operations, you're typically safe. If you're in a support role, just understand you could be part of the next wave of layoffs. Experienced 3 large corporate office layoffs in the last 4 years, largest recently (Jan, 2017)
Pros
Sales still growing in tough retail environment
Cons
Pay and benefits weak in comparison to peers
I wish I could say something nicer
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 11, 2017
I agree,
Middle school all over again. Management gets beat up from above and the hourly employees end up with mean managers in return.
HR is never helpful for questions about your money and benefits. Maybe that is not an accident?

"Oh sorry you missed out on open enrollment.
So sad we didn't send you the forms"

How about the " anonymous" survey you have to take as an employee. If answered honestly you will feel your store's management rath!!
Pros
Normal daylight hours, animals with no agenda
Cons
You can be called in at anytime, and don't ever get sick or you will get points.
Easy and fun, as long as your not a bad employee or your manger isn't mean.
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 12, 2017
The company is cool and workers can range from awesome to terrible. Really depends on location. recommended for any one into animals, anyone attempting to become a vet or vet assistant. Also recommended for any one that needs a very flexible schedule. Easy to move up the latter if your interested in that kind of thing.
Pros
flexible hours. mostly good workers. get to pet animals
Cons
not intrested becoming upper management, sucks if you have any type of allergies.
Friendly "family" work environment
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Plover, WIJanuary 10, 2017
It is a very fun work environment. Educating customers is a big part of the retail environment. Learning on your own or from coworkers is most effective. Training at all partner levels is highly flawed as well as other marketing and higher up departments out of store are highly flawed as well.
Pros
40 hours per week max for full time employees, fairly flexible work schedules with school or second jobs
Cons
must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays. Bonuses are little to none for management
Good job for someone that doesn't plan on staying
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 10, 2017
I took the job here since I had a background in retail and pet supplies. There were aspects of the job I enjoyed; talking to customers about their pets and helping them find what they were looking for. What I could have done without (and the reason I quit) was listening to some staff members complain about what they were expected to do....which I found amusing since they were on a break every time someone was looking for them! Bad vibes make the day miserable for everyone; my advice is if you REALLY hate your job move on!
Pros
meeting customer and their pets
Cons
other staff complaining about jobs
Good place based on coworkers
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 9, 2017
typical day is based on your position.
Dog Trainers 1-9pm
Managers 7am-10pm based on shift.
Casheirs usually get 5-8 hour shifts based on the store.
Groomers 8-7pm

Manager pay: $10-20
Dog Trainers pay: $10-15 and %20 commission on classes sold
Groomers pay: $8-15 or %50 commission of grooms
Cashiers pay: $7.98-9

They culture of the workplace varies from store to store based on store manager. Either way it is a great place to start a career in grooming, management, or dog training. This is a good place to get certifications and build a comunity name for yourself.
Pros
fun people, play with animals
Cons
average breaks, long standing on concrete floors
Wonderful place to work if you have the right managers,
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJanuary 23, 2017
I truly loved my job as a pet stylist at Petco! It had great benefits, wonderful staff and an all around great vibe to it. However, not everything is great when it comes to management. Very questionable in most cases (not with just the store I was working at) 9 times out of 10 the wrong person will go up to management. Aside from that I'd highly recommend it!
Pros
Wonderful work environment, great benefits.
Great Staff and Customers
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJanuary 6, 2017
I am only looking to leave because of the change in groomers pay, I have spent many yrs with very few complaints or injuries to be paid less then 50% and i not become a power groomer again just to make the company more money and increase the risk of injury or unsatisfied customers. Everyone at my store are great and my boss is one of the best bosses i have had in a long time but she has no control over my pay and i have a family to take care of so for the current pay for groomers i would not recommend petco as a place to work.
Pros
Good management and staff, flexible and understanding.
Cons
Less pay for slower groomers and salons.
Fun if you love animals!
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  LV, NVJanuary 3, 2017
Most cashier shifts are fairly easy, and the majority of customers are nice people. There are, however, not a lot of hours given, and it can be hectic during rushes. Be prepared to learn a lot about taking care of animals, because you'll be handling and helping customers with all of them.

The management is usually easy going, from what I've seen of multiple stores I've worked at. Hardest part of the job is simply the daily maintenance and cleaning of habitats, but if you're a cashier that won't be much of an issue.
Pros
dogs
Cons
not enough hours
Interesting Place to Work
Management (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJanuary 4, 2017
PetCo was a Very interesting work environment. I highly enjoyed working with animals and others who shared my enthusiasm. How ever, there is not a lot of incentive or recognition to go above and beyond the call of duty. Internal promotional raises are absolutely terrible. Also the inventory system used is extremely out dated and full of errors. This made thing very difficult to maintain correct on hands and restocks.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Terrible promotion raises
Just don't do it.
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2017
The incredibly incompetent managers are just the tip of the ice burg. You will be way under paid, way over worked, and so stressed on a daily basis. As a dog trainer your main purpose is to train dogs, but it will not be regarded as top priority. It is supposed to take 6 weeks to train a new trainer ... but they have nothing written into the budget to give mentors the actual time to train anyone! Some folks have been in the program FOR LONGER THAN A YEAR.

Upper management does not take harassment or hostile work environment claims seriously. You will be ignored.

Just don't do it.
Pros
Work with dogs
Cons
Management, low pay, long hours, not being respected, harassed, retaliation if you complain to HR
good training, good benefits
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mission Valley, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Grooming, answering phones, handling customers. I gained a lot of experience and learned how to groom. Management has no accountability. The hardest part of the job was growing and gaining confidence and my grooming skill. The most enjoyable part was learning a new skill and growing with the help of my experience coworkers.
Pros
great benefits, paid time off, gained skill
Cons
inconvenient hours, overbooking, lacking team effort
Most stressful job I ever had
GSM (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILDecember 30, 2016
I don't know about all the Petcos and I would hope the issues I had working here was due to the unmanagement like managers. In the 3 years that I worked for Petcos we had 7 different GMs and the last two had no idea what to do so I helped trained them only for them to turn around and give that part of their job to me. I worked 10-12 hours a day doing two different management jobs and then they said I had too many hours and complained that I could do it all in 8 hours. It was physically impossible task and I was overwhelmed and felt taken advantage of so I feel like I was forced to quit.
Pros
Good pay, fun and creative activities for customers
Cons
Horrible Management
very encouranging team members
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Throgs Neck, NYDecember 25, 2016
Working with this one team is very beneficial. They push you to exceed and become better and to do better to move up within the company. They are encouraging, positive, motivational. you learn the proper care for animals and you learn to love all types or creatures. hardest part of the job is becoming attached to animal who is sick that you cared for and in the end their sickness just takes them over and they end up succumbing to it. but overall I love this team. They are the best

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.