Petco Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,576 reviews matching the search
Low Pay, Low room for advancement, fun to work with animals
assosciate (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTMarch 19, 2016
Honestly Petco does NOT pay a living wage so it's hard to say that the company is good, they will hire mass amounts of people to avoid giving employees full time and / or benefits and in the end they compromise on what they call their principles time and time again and let customer's who are not ready to care for their animals, purchase them.

Cannot give PETCO higher then a 2 star rating because the way they treat animals being sold is horrific. That being said, people at Store level are great, but district will do anything for a sale, which is sad because they throw their own employees under the bus in the process and nearly never back them up.
Pros
Cute animals, learn about pets as a hobby
Cons
they hate giving raises, they dont pay above minimum wage. even managers dont make much over $11 an hour...
Poor management
Dog training apprentice/ sales associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 14, 2016
Very poor management, stock on any items needed to get a job done are poor to none 90% of the time, lists of tasks to do with impossible time schedules for said tasks, insufficient training, insufficient amount of employees, terrible employee shift schedules, no communication is made what so ever for anything until you mess up, unprofessional vernacular used at all times, the older managers tend to demean and belittle you in front of customers.
Pros
paycheck, some freindly employees
Cons
short lunches, full time hours when only managers are considered full time, no benefits, very poor management.
Fun job, but incredibly understaffed and under paid.
Aquatic/Small Animal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 11, 2016
As a big fish fanatic, I love my job. Its a blast being able to work with fish. With that said our store is a bit of a mess. Do to past management issues, the current managers are unable to properly staff the store due to limitations set by corporate. We are the biggest pet retailer in the world and yet there are SIX full time, and 9 total employees in the store including management. The minimum needed to run a store is 14. As a result both me and several other employees are being asked to do the work of two or three employees without additional compensation. It has gotten so bad as to force me to pursue work else where. With that said, it is a fun place to work. My coworkers are pleasant and its a fast paced job which I enjoy. Its also allowed me to work and refine my ability to work under pressure and multitask do to being asked to do so much.
Pros
Fun animal filled environment. Unique oppurtunity to work with fish. Hardworking employees.
Cons
Severally understaffed location, poor pay, limited oppurtunities for advancment.
sorry career
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 15, 2016
when I first started working there , they cared about the animals and the employees. in the last year or so, they push the groomers into taking too many dogs and push the dog trainers to put puppies in unsafe conditions. the grooming dept being a chamber of horrors for your dog. they had so many cut dogs at the store. vet bills. druggy groomers. managers overworked and stores understaffed. I hope they close them down and all upper management loses their jobs
Pros
20% discount on overpriced food
Cons
no real raises for store employees even when promoted
I enjoyed how much I learned and was always learning something new!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAFebruary 18, 2016
I worked with them for many years and would love to work there again. I never would have thought I'd learn so much about animals and the healthy benefits that incorporates being a responsible pet owner. I also learned how to take care of reptiles, birds and fish! I love working with customers as well and building relationships with returning customers. Being able to help a customer with a problem and better their relationships with their pets made me happy
Pros
Customer handling experience, animal handling
Cons
Negative Customers
Good experience with solid company
Inventory Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2016
Standard office hours include regular daily and weekly activities.
Learned about office skills including computer and cross department synergy.
Experienced helpful managers.
Hard working cooperative coworkers.
Continued growth and development in competitive market challenging.
Great satisfaction in job well done reflected in thanks and congratulations from peers and management. Contributing significantly to company success.
Pros
Enjoyable working environment
Cons
Medicre benefits
Love the job; can't make ends meet
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 21, 2016
If you love animals and want to help them, you may very well love this job. If you are living on a single income or if you have bills to pay off, you may not be able to survive on the pay.
Pros
lots of pets, 401K, fun culture, lots to learn
Cons
cleaning up lots of animal waste, benefits are poor, stressful
nice company
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  North Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 18, 2016
A little too much drama and no raises! A high turn over in management. Fluctuation of hours. Not consistent overall. I have a family and children so it is most difficult to manage my schedule sometimes.
Exciting, Fulfillment, and Fun.
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 25, 2016
I loved this Job and Petco as a company in a whole. Staff was excellent to work with and the job was very exciting. Compensation could have definitely been better.
Pros
Exciting.
Cons
Low Pay.
It's OK if you don't mind backbreaking labor
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Current Employee) –  DFW Area, TexasOctober 16, 2015
In all honesty, it's not a bad company to work for...however, if you like your evenings and weekends free, you might want to look somewhere else. I mean...what can you say? It's retail. The opportunities for advancement are available to people who show the aptitude for the roles, but once you get into the department manager and salaried store manager roles, the work you do far outweighs the monetary compensation. The company is big on internal competition and constantly has sales contests for meager prizes, and associates are constantly harangued to sell pet services, like dog training, vaccinations and grooming. The stores are rated by how well they do in these areas. Their training is decent if you have a good General Manager, and you can learn a lot. The employee discount isn't bad, either.
Pros
Good training, easy advancement, fun environment, decent PTO offered
Cons
No Work/Life Balance for full-timers, pay not commiserate with work expected, itty-bitty annual raises, lots and lots of exotic animal feces
Stressful environment
Professional Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILOctober 11, 2015
Petco has been an okay place to work. There is a lack of communication between their management staff and employees. I learned that communication is key to running a successful store and department. The hardest part of my job is when we loose a pet due to old age, or illness. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is meet new customers, gaining their trust with their pets and having the opportunity to interact with different breeds of dogs and learning about their distinct personality.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours that interfere with family time, lack of respect, etc.
Great Place to Work
DOG AND CAT DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ponderay, IDFebruary 18, 2016
They take really good care of their employees. They have many advancement opportunities and compensate well. They also have good benefits.
Hot in summer and they had us locked in there like pigs in a sweat box.
Cherry Picker (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 12, 2016
The company has goals but the problem is too many Chiefs and not enough Indians . TOO much confusion because nobody wants to listen. And they do not care about their employees.
Pros
The people that I worked with were excellent
Cons
The way the Supervisors ran the warehouse. The benefits were NO help at all.
Fun enviroment to work with animals
Sales Associate/Aquatics specialist (Current Employee) –  West Melbourne, FLOctober 4, 2015
For the most part, I have enjoyed working at Petco. Customer service has taught me so many skills that will last a lifetime. Dealing with the public is not always easy, but I have learned to be very patient. I work well alone and on a team. While working in retail, I have learned that collaborating as a team is beneficial. The hardest part of my job would be making sure that i'm selling companion animals and all of the important items to go with them in order to assure the well being of the animal, and making sure that the customer is willing to buy all of it. However, the most enjoyable part of my job is selling companion animals to customers who are so excited to take one into their lives.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, great benefits, competitive company
Cons
Managers are not on the same page with each other.
The environment was unprofessional
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  San AntonioSeptember 15, 2015
I loved my position at Petco however it was never their intention to hire on anyone and they stated that. When I began working there they had already let go of 4 people in the same position I was in. The supervisors did not provide great leadership nor did they lead by example. I took ownership on all of my duties and even stayed late to provide the highest quality of customer service. I feel if I would have been in a different environment I would still be employed with Petco, It is a great corporation.
Pros
discounts if hired on permantely
Cons
no benefits if temp or seasonal
Must love animals.
General Manager - High Volume (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day is not unlike many other retail management position. If you have good team, the daily activities are manageable if you posses common sense and care for your customers. I've learned having any sort of animal care responsibilities greatly increases the publics/social medias/compliance agencies scrutiny of how that care is given and any mistakes could potentially end your career. I've had the opportunity to hire, train and promote several folks who now have stable income and a career path. The hardest part comes from keeping pace with continually changing priorities and focus coming from multiple corporate VPs, Directors, etc. If you do not like constant change, retail is not for you. The most enjoyable part is meeting great people who really care about their pets and building relationships where these folks actually feel you care about them, too.
Pros
Sharing a workplace with passionate people and great customers.
Cons
Inconsistent corporate direction and many competing priorities from a top heavy corporate structure.
Pay and Benefits suck. Good people.
Groomer (Current Employee) –  VirginaAugust 11, 2016
I've worked at two PetCo stores, and the people are great. Love my managers "(Leaders)" and it's an overall good environment at the stores I've worked at.

The training is redundant and unhelpful. You learn most everything on the job, and then the training tells you differently. It's not real world training.

As of August 2016, the pay is being "restructured" in grooming, making a job I love barely worth it anymore. I know dozens of people that quit IMMEDIATELY. It's hard, daunting work where, sometimes, you have to work thru your breaks, and PetCo should be ASHAMED of themselves for trying to pay sticks and stones. The pay is laughable. The benefits, you could enroll in by yourself if you're a low income individual.

Overall, PetCo is a horrible company with great people.
Pros
Great people. Animals
Cons
Laughable pay and benefits.
Petco
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAAugust 23, 2016
A typical day for me at work is to come to work on time and start working on what needs to be done in each section when your done with section you start doing another section like take the trash out and organize

What i learned at Petco is that you have to have a smile on your face everyday that you come to work greet people ask the cashier if they have any go backs to put away

The Management there at Petco are really nice and sweet

My Co-workers at petco are nice they ask you if your doing okay and if they need any help with anything

Im a hard learn and willing to learn anything new that comes my way i am willing to take the time to organize the shelves clean the bathrooms and do anything that the manager ask me to do i have a positive attitude i also like to experience more in any company that im willing to work in
Cons
Short Breaks
No training, poor pay, great staff
Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 20, 2016
After six months I've completed no training and have no hopes of getting any. Even learning on the job is tricky because I'm still the new guy and don't get to try new things. Corporate only allows a certain number of payroll hours per store so there is no time to do structured training or to shadow an experienced associate. Lost employees aren't being replaced (thank corporate again) so staffing is very thin. Looks like new owners want to show a big profit before selling again, but customers aren't happy when they have to wait in line to be helped with a fish or a bark collar. I got hired over other applicants because I have a lot of experience with animals, yet they pay me minimum wage. Hours are low unless someone needs time off. Coworkers are wonderful and so are the animals.
Pros
Animals, coworkers, stable work policies
Cons
Few hours, low pay, no training
Very stressful environment. No room for growth.
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 29, 2016
Although I love working with animals it's has gotten to a point where they will not allow me to focus on my department. I am a very dedicated employee but I am constantly needed for almost everything in the store. I would just rather have a leader that can show by example and not just sit in the office. It got to a point where I had to train myself on a lot of things and I feel that is not a healthy working environment for me. I want to grow and expand and just be productive and Petco unfortunately cannot offer that to me.
Pros
Animals, great coworkers, you can learn a lot about animals, good pay
Cons
Management, no training, hostile customers, is given tasks then asked to do others then management gets mad that you didn't do the other one.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.