Petco

Petco United States Employee Reviews

If you enjoy pets and need a part time job this is perfect for you!
Store Attendant (Former Employee), Montclair, CAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Discount on Pet Food/ Supplies
Cons: Min Wage, Cleaning up feces regularly
I had a good experience with this company. The management at my store was great. I really enjoyed handling the animals and learning more about different animals. It was fun because you never knew what animal would come through the doors. People would bring their dogs, cats, birds, spiders, reptiles, and once even a pet skunk.
Fun work place
Associate (Former Employee), Delafield, WIApril 24, 2015
Pros: Working with animals
Cons: No standard work hours, or ammount of hours weekly
Typically, I would work a afternoon to evening shift, but it would vary. I would usually work at the register, or back in the stock room managing inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with animals, and helping people with their pets.
Would be a great place to work
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), McMinnville, ORApril 24, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not enough groomers /staff
My typical day at work when I worked there was ok not the way I would have liked it to be if I could start all over again and go back I would and I am sure it would be an awesome place to work! The benefits are great, the employees in and outside the groom-shop are very pleasant.
Fun environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 24, 2015
Pros: Working with animals and fun/freindly co-workers, relating to customers and gaining relationships
Cons: Short breaks, hardly any benefits, dealing with self-rightous customers whom have set opinions and treat you poorly
Petco is a fun place to work as long as your team members are friendly and compliant and management is not lazy or condescending. Working with the animals is a great experience if taught properly. But customers can be very strict on the service they expect.
Such poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edwardsville, PAApril 24, 2015
Pros: customers love to talk about their pets and you get to have some great encounters with them
Cons: pay, schedule, understaffed, lack of focus on customer satisfaction
Like many retail jobs, the pay, lack of benefits, schedule, and attendance policy sucks. This place is exceptionally bad because it pays even less than the other nearby retail stores, and therefore cannot keep employees. Management regularly spoke ill of applicants, and employees constantly complained that their schedule restrictions were not respected. Customers also complained about management almost daily. Some complained that the shelves were always empty, others that the manager was rude. I was offended at how the general manager spoke to our customers, and after working there, I will never shop there again. It is also worth noting that nobody ever cleans or stocks the restroom. Furthermore, all training is done on a computer, and then the tasks performed on the floor aren't in adherence with the training. Associates who "trained" me hands-on were only hired a week or two before myself, and weeks later the manager was still surprised to see tasks being done differently than the way they were done at the location he previously worked at.
Great Place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Appleton, WIApril 23, 2015
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: Crazy saturdays
There is no typical day because everyday is different.
I have learned time management skills, task priority, and customer service.
Mangers are always available and great people to work with
Co-workers are great people to work with
Hardest part of the job is trying to make sure that you give enough time to customers who have several questions
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know repeat customers and that you are able to have fun at work
Poor management
Inventory Manager (Current Employee), UnknownApril 22, 2015
Called in continually on days off. Favoritism to the extreme, No room for advancement as promised. The animals at Petco are not well cared for in this store.

Very clicky and full of gossip
Used to be good....
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaApril 20, 2015
This was a great place to work.... until last year. They've dropped a ton of new initiatives on the store and have been very negative about it.

I used to love this company, and if they went back to where we could have fun and just be there for the animals, then I'd love it again.
I spent my days Grooming Dogs.
Groomer (Former Employee), Norman, OKApril 18, 2015
My favorite part of grooming dogs is seeing the transformation when a dog is brought in in terrible condition and the owner come back hours later to pick them up and not only has to dog's physical appearance changed but so has it's personality.
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Warwick, RIApril 18, 2015
-Do not value employees
-Do not take customers needs into account
-Cooperate management does not follow their own policy
-Policy changes by store
-Confusing customers and employees by rolling out new methods and systems only to change them 3 months later
Poor Management and an unpleasant work enviornment
Dog amd Cat Department Manager (Former Employee), North Amdover, MAApril 17, 2015
Cons: poor management, very difficult to reach human resource department
I use to work for the Petco out of North Andover, MA and I will have to say it was the worst job ever. The General Manager lived by the phrase, "do as I say, not as I do". I was the only male employee at the time and one of the 5 managers that worked, and alI was always tasked with the heavy lifting which screwed me in the long run and led to back problems. The work load was never distributed equally amongst the employees and the if you got on the GM's bad side, she would write you up with our you even knowing until it was time to fire you. And if you had a conplaint about saying or need to talk to human resources, you couldnt. They were based out of some country in India I think.
A great place to work during college (at least my location)
Stock Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), La Cañada Flintridge, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, nice atmosphere, good management
Cons: Crazy stock shift hours
I actually ended up loving working here. I was a stocking associate and cashier, and while I liked working as a cashier more, the stocking part of the job had crazy hours (10pm to 7am shifts), but the guys I worked with were awesome and had great personality and humor. I'm still friends with half the employees that work there. Work/life balance was good, and full shifts didn't feel that long most days. I really liked most of the managers and my coworkers. I think the hardest part of the job was just learning everything as quick as possibly (especially cleaning the animal habitats quickly, that was the hardest part). I really enjoyed helping people in the store, but sometimes the people who came into the store were super rude [I think it has to do with the attitude of the town (self entitled affluent people)]. If it paid more and the job had more variety, I probably would have continued working there for longer.
petco
Grooming Receptionist/Grooming Assistant (Current Employee), Vallejo, CAApril 16, 2015
I love working for petco because I love the animals that come in, I just which the environment had a better vibe. It would be a lot better if everyone got along and were able to settle problems in a mature manner.
I enjoyed working with animals. I enjoy customer service , retail and working with the public.
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Working with the public
Cons: Constant managment changes
As an assistant manager I helped in overseeing the day to day activities of running a retail environment. I was a key holder. I opened and closed the store which included making bank deposits
Overall good if you are desperate for work
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee), Murrieta, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Long breaks, Kind managers
Cons: Little pay, some underhanded practices
My personal experience was pretty bad with Petco. I enjoyed working with and near animals but I feel I was treated in a very underhanded manner. I was hired for a specific job title and told that I would ALSO be needed for a remodel, and after that I would begin my regular work as a Sales associate. However after the remodel was finished, I called to ask for my schedule and was crudely told that I was simply "Only needed for the remodel." I was considerably disappointed, but I at least got a paycheck and some experience out of it. However they held my paycheck for about two weeks without ever calling me about it - once again I had to contact them and ask them about to which I was told "Oh yes it's been in the backroom for a while, come in and get it."
Petco was an interesting job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Henrietta, NYApril 15, 2015
It was fun working around all the small pets and fish. I developed a great obsession for fish from my employment there. They were a nice company, as well, very fair and good to me.
great place to work
Cashier/Customer Service/Grooming Manager (Former Employee), Olympia, WAApril 14, 2015
loved working here also loved the people i worked with it made it easy to come to work everyday love animals and cashiering so what a better place to be. loved grooming being able to work closely with dogs and there owners everyday was amazing.
Great Place to work
Whole Pets Specialist/ Sales associate (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 12, 2015
Pros: Flexable hours
Petco is a customer relations based pet store. Animal safety is top priority but customer service is a very close second place. The most difficult part of work is learning about all the animals and how to properly assist customers. Once those skills are mastered the job is fairly easy.
It changed so quickly
Cashier (Former Employee), Conroe, TXApril 12, 2015
It was always busy and impossible to move away from the register. Coworkers were lazy never wanting to clean after themselves. I overall enjoyed all the animals and help pet owners find what they needed.
my review
Pet Groomer (Former Employee), Durham, NCApril 8, 2015
Pros: loved the people I worked with and love my customers
Cons: I didnt like the hours and weekend work.
My job position was pet groomer. I schedule my treatments. Interact with my customers and their pets. I maintain treatment/grooming rooms in a professional manner. Experience in taking and understanding the importance of taking good notes. Monitoring the pets, making sure they maintained to be healthy and happy at all times

1 2 3 4 5

About Petco

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more

Petco Salaries