Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,606 reviews matching the search
High pressure with good benefits
Dog Groomer and Front desk receptionist (Former Employee) –  Burke, VASeptember 26, 2016
- Day starts by clocking in, cleaning the salon, printing out reports and checking in clients.
- From this experience I have gained a profound understanding of the corporate lifestyle and have developed a strong set of customer service/ communication skills
-The management team outside of the salon manager were a bit forceful in their demands for certain financial outcomes in a week.
-My coworkers were amazing and we all worked together to forward the team as a whole.
-The hardest part of the job was attempting to satisfy the every growing need for a higher sales outcome every week. It became unrealistic in accordance with the nature of the job.
-Most enjoyable part of the job would definitely be my coworkers and the dogs themselves.
Pros
appropriate breaks, strong work team
Cons
not flexible in scheduling, constant unrealistic pressure
telephone company is a great place to work for anyone
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJSeptember 25, 2016
The telephone company gave me customer service skills handling close to one thousand customers daily. Making them happy made me happy. Management and all employees were great to work with. Overall a wonderful company to work for.
Pros
recognition awards, parties, pay
Cons
timed calls
Very fortunate to work at such a great store in Wheaton, IL!
Pet Stylist Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILSeptember 24, 2016
I know some Petcos have bad reputations, I have been to my fair share of ones that are not up to expectations, but my store is phenomenal! I'm in the grooming salon, and I enjoy every single minute of work. I love my coworkers in and out of the salon. The managers are diligent, professional, intelligent, and always striving to improve our store and our service. Truthfully, I used to enjoy Petsmart before I began working at Petco just because they have a better variety of chinchilla toys, and it is closer to my house in Carol Stream. I work approximately 38.5 hours a week, and it's a perfect amount for me as a 21 year old to be busy, have stable income, and also have time away from work. I work 5 days a week--8 hour shifts each day. Of course beginning at a new job with no prior experience is nerve-wracking, but I was sincerely welcomed and offered assistance whenever I needed it. I'm sure I annoyed a lot of my coworkers with questions, but they never said anything! Hahaha. My managers have also been very supportive when I needed days off for my grandpa's funeral, for a concert festival, my frequent doctor appointments, and even offered me a day or two off when my dog passed away. It's a positive, quick paced, and informative job. Just don't apply if you don't care for animals much since they all depend on us!
Pros
Great coworkers, perfect amount of hours, clean, informed and helpful staff, and many interesting animals (chameleons, ferrets, etc!)
Cons
Short lunches that need to be brought to work or bought nearby, occassional difficult customers, and calling comfort systems to turn up the AC takes forever!
Decent company to work for
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Petco is a good place to work if you are just getting started. I gained valuable customer service experience. However, there are obvious downsides like cleaning up dog urine.
Would've been better if the animals came first
Sales Associate/Grooming Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 22, 2016
First and foremost I loved all my coworkers and managers when working at Petco. I had the best time there and I had to leave because of a new manager who was on a power-trip. Petco had a pleasant working environment but I wasn't too fond of their policies. I was also not fond of how they handled animal care. I worked in a large store with a reasonable amount of staff. Little by little the staff decreased and Petco would not rearrange the budget to hire more staff to cover a large store. Now at this time there is less staff a huge store and a lot more customers but not a lot of coverage. Instead of making the animals a priority out priority was making sure customers were getting serviced. We also hit a wall at that point because now we were so understaffed that we cant handle animal care, customer service, and stocking shipment. I think corporate needs to really take a deep look at how they're managing their stores. Little by little it became uncomfortable working there and you start to feel like a monster because you see animals die or get sick on a daily because there aren't enough people around to take care of the one thing the store is based off of: PETS!

I worked in grooming as well and they need to completely change how the grooming salon runs. They have unrealistic quotas that can only be achieved by machines and if quotas aren't met a meeting is required. Groomers are people not puppy mill barbers.

P.S: I've worked in multiple Petco locations and it seemed like all stores were going through the same thing
Pros
Perks, associate discounts, animal care training
Cons
short breaks, terrible animal care
Good work environment
Intern/Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Longview, WASeptember 22, 2016
while I was at work I would stock shelves and continuously monitor the store cleanliness. I place items where they belonged and handled returned items. The janitorial part of my job was also performed.
The worst company I've ever worked for!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside TylerSeptember 22, 2016
Went in hoping to move into corporate. Little did I know that practically the entire company is outsourced to call centers in India.....EVEN HUMAN RESOURCES! That's right, if you have a question for HR, get ready to call someone who has no idea how to answer your question. 6 month probation period, and they just keep you on part-time afterwards, so they don't have to give benefits to any non-manager employee. Horrible management too. Stay away!!!!
Cons
fun place to work and love the animal experiences
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2016
Cool place to get the animal knowledge and experience. They really try to educate their employees and customers. I loved the people i worked with. Best selection of merchandise.
Pros
the people i worked with were the best!
Cons
upper managment could've been more understanding and involved in bettering our store.
Poor Pay
PET STYLIST APPRENTICE (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 20, 2016
Poor Pay and benefits.
The schedule varies for the most part when you're in training, and steadies afterwards. Below standard compensation for floor staff.
Productive and esrblished company
Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CASeptember 16, 2016
This company is an ok company to work for however they do not value their employees. It's long hours and hard to manage work life with personal life. They have some great people that work for the company. A lot of the general managers are only there for the money and we're hard to get along with.
It's ok
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 15, 2016
Not somewhere I planned on being long term. Good start if you're interested in a job around animals but it's hard trying to make a living with this as your job. Although your focus is on pets, it's still a retail job.
Joke of a Job
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 15, 2016
I worked for the company for almost 5 years, only leaving for a few months to complete an internship. When I returned to the job, I was told they wanted to put me into an Assistant Manager training thing. Well, after three years I gave up on that promise. I was a manager, guaranteed 40 hrs a week and usually had 38. I was paid $12.50 and hour before I left. I am no longer in management, I make $15 at my new job and they keep their promises.

My store manager didn't truly care about her employees and those working hard to keep the store running. She did not care about promises made. Instead she only cared about crushing everything. I saw a few Assistant Managers go in and ruin stores. I was making schedules and finding employees(all ASM jobs) for our ASM. I would come in on days off to do vet runs. I helped customers build trust and I helped when coworkers needed me. Work here only if you dare, but I can say a Petsmart may be better.
unethical, illegal business practices
Merchandise Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Acton/Auburn, MASeptember 13, 2016
I was the victim of over 30 instances of employer wage theft alone. I was also the victim of constructive and wrongful termination. the company is merely a copycat of Petsmart.
Pros
I had a decent pay rate
Cons
terrible management.
Fun and fast paced, always something to do.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILSeptember 9, 2016
I enjoyed working at PetCo. My co-workers and managers were all great. I learned a lot about different types of pets, ones I didn't already have, and how to care for them.
Pros
There was always something that could be done so never a dull moment.
Cons
Sometimes the customers weren't always friendly back.
If you have no other option
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, ILSeptember 9, 2016
this was the worst job I have ever had, boss was Enraged all day every day and treated everyone horrible. She sat management down and told us to F off. Nothing was ever done by policy truth be told I should have quit shortly after management changed. They don't care about the animal's, they care about the money. P and P was a joke and everyone was kept in the dark by gossip. Boss played favorites and treated management like worms. I could keep talking but you get the idea. This company gets a -6 from every aspect.

Customers were great! Total common interest with Animal people obviously! I wish there was less disconnect with corporate and the people that work for the company.

Don't get me wrong their are associates that really do care about the animals and customer service. But not allot
Pros
discounnt
Cons
everything else
N/a
Merchandising Ops Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WISeptember 7, 2016
it is an ok company to work for. Very low pay. Dont upgrade animal habitats as much as they should.

Always have people cleaning habitats
slow paced, fun, quiet
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redding, CASeptember 7, 2016
I loved working at Petco it was my first job and they were really understanding and valued teamwork more then anything and really valued their customers and their employees.
Pros
Team Work, Great Communication
Cons
Short breaks, No Benifits
Okay job
Pet stylist (Current Employee) –  MemphisSeptember 7, 2016
The company changes policies, pay, procedures, etc a lot. I was there for years and felt like things were constantly changing for the worst. I felt like the managers were mostly not helpful, and expected so much out of us. The pay was good, but after years of dealing with things from the corporate side and the store managers, it wasn't worth the pay.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Very corporate, doesn't care for needs of employees
Many changes over the last year. Not able to perform resets due to short staff and restructuring.
Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHSeptember 6, 2016
It used to be such a great place to work, but with all the changes over the last 6 months, loyalty doesn't mean anything anymore.
Pros
401k, flexible time off, employee discount.
Cons
Not enough pay for job description.
best job I've worked
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Montrose, COSeptember 6, 2016
Being a groomer at petco for over 2 years now, I have come to find when it comes to grooming, if you are a likeable person and work hard, you can make very good money. Money is based partly on hourly and partly on commission so if you make what the company expects of you, you can make over $2000 a month. Both the people, and the pets that I work with make this job, a job that would be hard to leave. The employees are friendly and the managers have your back when you are dealing with frustrating customers. The pto is amazing. They gave me 137 hrs of pto my first year at petco! Insurance is also very affordable and offers a lot to all full time Petco employees. Having that said, I should note that it seems to be only small towns where groomers have the highest pay and most opportunity.
Pros
high pay, pto, insurance
Cons
hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.