Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,060 reviews matching the search
Part Time position
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 25, 2017
Busy weekends, sometimes have to bounce around different departments to help customers. Sometimes had to check with the other store in town for products. Separate rescue groups would host adoptions one weekend day for a few hours.
High stress with pay and benefits not matching
Merchandise Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2017
I love the fasted pace work environment, however, the pay and benefits don't match the amount of work required in my position. There have been no raises and there is very little opportunity to grow.
OK start up job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 24, 2017
Petco is a good start up job but not for a career. The work is Relatively easy. I was sales associate and it was the Petco in Tallahassee Fl. I would not go back again.
Great for Students
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 24, 2017
Great job for transitioning between school work and school. Must truly love pet's to work in customer service.
Can be stressful during peak hours, especially when coworker call out sick. If you are able deal with customer service oriented line of work, I believe you have the ability to work anywhere else.
Pros
Health Benefits, Discounts, 401K, Paid time off and sick leave. Lucky if you have awesome coworkers.
Cons
Stressful during peak hours.
Relaxed Place to work as long as you manage your time
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 23, 2017
Although overall it's a nice place to work getting a reasonable amount of hours is kind of a PITA and this usual requires that you work at multiple locations. The managers I've had are mostly laid back as long as you get your daily assigned tasks done on time and well.
Pros
Laid, Back, 20% discount on all store items (40% on some)
Cons
Not many hours available to store employees
At times a good place to work, depends on the staff you are working with.
Grooming Salon Manager/Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WIMay 23, 2017
Petco was a good job, I have learned a lot about grooming and have really enjoyed working with the dogs and customers.

The only thing I don't like is the pressure to "make" budget, do obvious sales, even when customers aren't interested.

The direct management was very nice and helpful, when asked. They are also over worked.
Pros
Grooming training, dogs, customers
Cons
pushed sales, too many "extra" jobs/tasks
It's ok
Sales Associate/Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 22, 2017
It's an okay place to be. In a store level, it depends on management in that store on how you're treated. Other than that, you're just another number and don't matter, much like with major cooperations I suppose.
dog training and grooming was pretty good
Dog trainier (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 22, 2017
Liked working with the animals and teaching dog training classes. Enjoyed puppy playtime and meeting new customers daily. The products are good and prices are competitive with similar stores
Don't treat employees well
Manager (Former Employee) –  OHMay 22, 2017
Get treated poorly 24/7 and threatened all the time over things that are out of your control. Company is focusing on the wrong things and they don't care what your opinion is
Pros
interaction with animals
Cons
everything else
Poor work/life balance, good coworkers
Key Holding Manager/Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAMay 22, 2017
I worked at an understaffed store and would work sometimes 10 days in a row, this allowed for zero work/life balance. Great place to work with animals and enjoyable coworkers.
Pros
Work with animals, good coworkers
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Fun place to work
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 22, 2017
Have fun while being the best. Friendly people and if you love pets a wonderful place to work. Working in the warehouse you learn so much about pets and you can also learn how to groom if you like
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, no room for promotion
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMay 22, 2017
If you love animals, you'll love this job. I honestly regret leaving Petco. The only reason I left was because I am a single parent and couldn't afford everything I needed.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Low pay
Grooming at Petco
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Revere, MAMay 21, 2017
Grooming at Petco was satisfying. My day consisted of grooming anywhere from 1 to 8 dogs each day. I learned the Petco way of performing your duties. At times their way was difficult. I was unable to try new products that would better meet my customers needs. Management was very rigid. The hardest part of my job at Petco was to work on dogs that were to large for the work area. I enjoyed grooming dogs and was sad when I was unable to groom because of arthritis
Grooming Assistant
Dog Grooming Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYMay 21, 2017
It is very hard to survive on the money here as an adult. You get minimum wage or commission if business was good. It was wonderful working with the animals.
Petco
Companion Animal Manager / Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Turnersville, NJMay 21, 2017
Management is a Joke. All the store managers do is gossip on the phone to other GM's all day and talk about associates in an unprofessional manner to other managers and sometimes other employees.
Pros
Cons
Work with animals
warm welcoming place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTMay 21, 2017
the perfect place for pet lovers and people who loved pets in general! i learned alot from working at a pet store. the environment was very happy and loving and it made the people i worked with easy to work along side
Nice employees, unorganized workplace
Cashier/stock supplies (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLMay 20, 2017
I had some fun doing this job, but the environment ended up being too unorganized for how I would prefer to do my job. The most enjoyable part of the job though was helping pets and their owners find what they needed.
Pros
friendly employees
Cons
short breaks, job duties inconsistent.
An exhilarating summer job
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTMay 20, 2017
* I worked at Petco from 9am-2pm every weekday for 10 weeks through the summer of 2014. I worked primarily on receiving in the stock room, but I also helped out any customers who asked for it.

* I learned about different food and item brands and types, for individual pet needs.

* The managers were always willing to lend me a helping hand whenever I didn't know about something or learned something new.

* My senior co-workers were each assigned to a specific pet department for their knowledge of each. So, we had a go-to man for birds, another lady for fish, etc. We also learned about individual pets and what they needed.

* Stocking shelves with heavy bags of cat and dog food was physically straining, and the birds had to be handled carefully while their cages, foo and water were cleaned.

* Meeting and learning about so many animals was very fun and kept me going back over and over.
Petco
Groomer's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2017
I love working at Petco, I lean a lot working at petco, I wash and Bathe the animal's, I cut the nails, make sure they are clean and smelling good
Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shorewood, ILMay 19, 2017
I loves that job. The beat thing was is that they have a lot for you to do. If you like hard work than this is the job for you. You work the truck, scan on a register, and keep the shelves srockes.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Part time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.