Petco Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,534 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work.
Pooch Play Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 21, 2016
Petco was a good place to work. I was properly chained and was a diverse employee. No regrets about my time there. Good management and nice energetic employees.
Pros
Fun staff.
Cons
Slow to fix internal defects with equipment.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 17, 2016
The environment itself is great, the people and pets you get to daily interact with are a pleasure to meet.
The general manager from the Store I am currently working at, makes the management look awful, and is no longer making the environment such a great one to be around.
But besides that, the staff and customer service is great!
Cons
long breaks
Productive, fun work environment, good benefits
Guest Advisor Leader (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAJuly 15, 2016
Most days had the pros and cons. On a normal work day, my duties were to create a daily task and delegate employees. Customers played a big role on a day to day basis as far as assisting with products and sale budgets. I learned a great value in leadership and creating a long time bond with customers and their families. Working with others not only helped me grow as a person but a leader. My coworkers and I got along just fine and we all worked together as a team. Our team did not let one person fall but encouraged everyone to help pull each other up. The hardest part about the job was dealing with some difficult customers or not able to meet everyone's needs due to a product not being in stock or not carrying a product at all. The best part of the job was that our staff was more like a family and we could be ourselves and had wonderful customers to make our jobs easy and enjoyable.
Pros
We received paid time off
Cons
The insurance could have been a little better
Animal lover
Groomer Asst (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJuly 13, 2016
Love grooming animals, washing, painting their nails placing bow on their ears. you get to see animals that you like but would never own.
Pros
Being with animals daily
Cons
some day was slow day and you get sent home
Good learning experience
Pet Stylist Mentor (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 11, 2016
PETCO seems to care about the animals but puts its employees on the back burner. They should focus more on employee incentives and keeping good, hard working employees happy via acknowledgements, better pay, and employee retention. They should also slow down and not be in a hurry to fill salon staff. Instead, they need to work on quality and better educate general managers so that they have a better understanding and appreciation for salon staff. Salon staff should also have to go through more certification processes, more tests, and more education. The company also needs a better HR department. One that does not retain important information or earned certifications. An HR department that does not take so long in replying to its own employees. The biggest fault in PETCO is its inconsistency with staffing, employee training, employee retention, and the impulsive focus on numbers instead of quality and real customer satisfaction. Its values are that they help local shelters and foundations for the benefit of animal welfare.
Pros
working with animals and people
Cons
inconsistent management and inconsistent moral and corporate principals
Animal Lover
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calumet City, ILJuly 11, 2016
Working here was definitely one to remember. Considering I love animals, everyday here was the best. I learned a lot from working here, as far as, how to properly handle animals. My managers and co-workers were amazing. I loved working with them. The hardest part was getting bit by the animals.
It's a lot of work but its a lot of fun, especially if you are an animal lover.
Team Leader/Customer Advisor/Aquatics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 10, 2016
I had daily goals every day, goals which required a lot of interaction with the animals (fish, too). The job is a lot of work but also a lot of fun. I would highly recommend Petco for beginners who are interested in retail jobs in high-school or college.
Pros
10 minute breaks and animals!
Cons
Low staff, hours are tight. Flexibility is still great!
Overview
Companian Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Berlin, VTJuly 10, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of taking care of customers and animals. All animals had to be cleaned daily, Management included opening shifts and closing shifts, drawer counts etc. I learned my first beginning management skills here.
benefits
Okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJuly 10, 2016
a typical day is constantly on the move, I learned about different animals and their needs, the hardest part was everything about the job was hard, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all different kinds of animals I've never seen before.
Not a fun place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJuly 9, 2016
Bad concept of how they see the company treat employees, customers, pets. No life balance to job worked upper management care about 2 things and it certainly wasn't my store or employees. Dog training and grooming was there focus not people!
Animal focused career
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nampa, IDJuly 8, 2016
I enjoyed working at Petco Animal Supplies. Its a fast pace retail environment with lots of animals to love & learn about.
Not the best
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2016
Petco was at one time a company that really cared about their animals. Unfortunately, this is not the case any longer. I am grateful for having a job, but not much else to say about the company.
Pros
Handling animals
Cons
Compensation and gratitude
Easy Job
Picker Level II (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 7, 2016
Working at Petco Distribution is easy if you are organized and fast and physically fit. There is not much room to grow and it will not challenge you that often. It is hard on your body. The way your day is managed can be frustrating at times. If you are smart and need to use your brain daily to be happy, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Short days if you are fast, easy money.
Cons
Not the best pay for how hard it is on your body. Could be managed better. Not challenging at all.
Co workers are wonderful customers are great
Sale associate (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 7, 2016
My co worker and managers are terrific to work with but there is no stepping up the ladder they have made it harder to get a promotion. I took thi job because i wanted to do something different from pharmacy but i see now there is no promotions. i do not want to stay at an associate level i want to become a manager I know how to do managerial duties I need something more.
Pros
It is not a buy establishment you get some relax time
Cons
No promotions
Unpatriotic Company
Non-Con Clerk (Current Employee) –  RenoJuly 5, 2016
No holidays are given and no holiday pay for american holidays. Point system is ridiculous. other than that the people are great
Customer Care
Sales Partner, Dog & Cat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Glenwood Springs, CO/Branson, MOJuly 5, 2016
Customer service is what is most important and taking care of animals. If you still work hard others will take advantage of those things. Making sure items stay stocked and having enough employees to help the pet customers. Getting to see animals all day is a perk. They sure brighten your day.
Pros
Full time if great employee, benefits are decent, PTO compensation is good
Cons
No breaks
fun environment. team work . customers come first.
Grooming Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2016
from day one enjoyed my job. working animals. providing a clean environment for them was always the key word and I loved it. Working the grooming salon was the best experience. As a dog and cat lover I've learn to give them the best baths and haircuts. make them comfortable. Managing the salon was a great experience as I had the duty to make sure safety for my employees and for the animals. Learning to work and be a leader for my employee's and making sure they where happy was the best experience.
Productive and good workplace environment
Leave and Accommodations Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 30, 2016
I have a great team who are supportive of each other and great contributors to our internal/external success of the company.
Pros
Great location, building, co-workers, and events
A decent first job or position as your paying your way through college
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2016
The benefits they say they offer aren't that great. Full-timers have even complained that health and retirement might as well be non-existent. At the very least, I was fortunate that the department I'm assigned to is flexible with our schedules. Paid time off is about the best you can pull from this company in my experience and it takes about a year to fully kick in and you're able to take advantage. The employee discount is really only enticing for certain products/brands; you'll get up to 40% off rather than the standard 10 which is helpful for those that actually have pets and could'nt otherwise afford the higher quality foods without budgeting. Turnover and retention rates are horrible. I've gone through 3 general managers since I've been working here and it seems higher management will hire just about any shmuck that comes in looking for a job regardless of their experience and background. A good portion of the workers at my location are completely unreliable calling out of work often and with poor excuses or no excuses at all, leaving others to pick up their slack thus, making the overall store morale low. Managers never mediate so everyone else feels they can do whatever they want whenever they want to. People in their upper twenties and thirties operate like they're in high school with the endless drama and gossip. Training is non-existent. If you don't bug managers to allow you to shadow them, you'll never move up the chain because you'll stay stuck as a cashier posted at the registers never learning any new skills. Unless you enjoy a fast paced work environment, genuinely  more... love a good majority of animals, not just cats and/or dogs and are good with customer service, this is probably not going to be the best place for you.  less
family oriented
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAJune 27, 2016
great family oriented environment sales associate are family friendly easy going but fast efficient at the same time.
Pros
greats hours of scheduling