Petco

1.1K reviews

Petco Employee Reviews

nice company
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Reading, PAAugust 30, 2015
Pros: 40 + hrs
Cons: Some managment bad apples
Good place to work , some management not so good. I loved my job as pet stylist. Most customers very nice and very respectful.
Nice people and animals
Internship (Former Employee), Downey, CAAugust 27, 2015
This was my second store I worked in for ROP, and I loved it.

The job was fairly laid back, and I learned a lot on how to manage customers and how to organize merchandise.
Every Job Has A Quirk
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Montrose, COAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Working with the dogs
Cons: Gossiping
The job itself was pretty awesome! It was the People that worked there that were not! When management had its back turned that whole store turned into a teenage locker room! Everyone was gossiping about something or someone which made it extremely uncomfortable to work there!
Easy going staff
Senior Aquatics Specialist (Current Employee), Nashua, NHAugust 25, 2015
Cons: Under staffed
Staff and Managers are pretty easy going, can be fun at times when working with the animals, theirs alot of running around and can be hard to get whats needed to be done
Great atmosphere
Dog Bather (Former Employee), Exton, PAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Enjoyable work environment and employees, workers were not overworked and given too high of standards of tasks to complete, Respect was given to employees
Cons: Commission pay per dog
Enjoyable work environment and employees.
Respect among colleges and management.
Flexible work hours available
Not much red tape to resolve issues with customers.
Typical retail
Inventory & Pricing Department Manager (Former Employee), Watchung, NJAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Discount on pet items
Cons: unfocused upper management and company directives, terrible pay, 0 life work/life balance
Petco, like the majority of retail companies out there, is long on commitment to the company and short on consideration for their employees. An overbearing upper management passes down demands and requirements with no consideration for the manner in which the stores are going to implement them and practice a "one size fits all" approach to operations regardless of the diversity of their store's locations. Coupled with this is an ever changing roster of new ideas and plans that will change the way we work and do business that are quickly dumped in favor of the next best thing. To make all of this worse, their pay scale is abysmal in comparison to other retail outlets which makes the every growing demands placed on management and store employees even more onerous.
Cool nice place kept very clean
Petco (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 22, 2015
A typical day at work was about 2 sales of dog food and dog toys , or a dog would get groomed . Sometimes young kids would come and purchase fish or take a look at the lizards
workplace
WAREHOUSE WORKER I KELLY SERVICES (Current Employee), Mira Loma, CAAugust 22, 2015
Pros: free luch
Cons: not a good pay rate
all in a fast paces they dont appreciate when your always hitting a 90% to 100%. They are always asking for more productivity. You pull over 1,226 lines in 8hrs, and you don't even get the 100%. there always changing the percentage for there on benefits and not there workers.
Fun and easy going workplace
Aquatic Specialist (Current Employee), Kent, OHAugust 20, 2015
Great place to work if you love animals. The staff and customers are very friendly, with great knowledge and love for animals.
Fun place to work, learn and take care of pets
GM (Current Employee), TXAugust 19, 2015
Pros: The employee teamwork, the love of animals and great customers
Cons: Manager pay and lack of payroll for stores.
I spend a lot of time doing administration processes, such as answering emails, going over staffing, payroll, project managing for new planograms that need to be set and managing the inventory. Meanwhile taking care of customer needs, taking care of the store animals and helping to coach and train employees. I've learned a lot more about animal care and nutrition. The upper management is just as dedicated about animals and customers as the store staff is. My fellow co workers work hard and do their best to work as a team. The best part of the job is taking care of the animals and learning about them. It's nice to have positive engagements with animal lovers. The hardest part of my job is trying to write a schedule without enough payroll to run the store efficiently.
I love working with animals
Bather/Brusher (Former Employee), Farmington, NMAugust 19, 2015
It was fun to msee all the cute dogs that would come in everyday. Especially when we could paint their nails or put ribbons in their hair. it was great work expierence with animals.
Loved the animals not the people
Cashier (Former Employee), Bryant, ARAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Worked around animals
Cons: healthcare and management
Management consistently changed and not allowing to get into a good work routine. Not good benefits at all and very poor training.
n/a
General Manager (Current Employee), Los AngelesAugust 19, 2015
Upper management is not supportive and is not in touch with the actual day to day duties of the current business. Changes made frequently that don't fit the business.
General Manager (Former Employee), Baton RougeAugust 18, 2015
Petco was a great job. Loved working there. there were the typical retail woes, not enough hours, variable scheduling, rapidly changing priorities, etc. But over all it was great. The pay is at the lower end of the spectrum for retail managers, but the work life balance made up or the pay cut I took to work there
Great place to learn about animals and customer service
Dog trainer (Current Employee), Dedham, MAAugust 18, 2015
Petco offered me great exposure to working with animals, and I have met a lot of great people during my experience there. Overall, it was a learning experience for me, and I am glad I worked for Petco.
Loved the job, but the environment was toxic.
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Independence, MOAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Working with animals and animal loving clients
Cons: Terrible environment and worst management team ever
Interacting with the customers and grooming their fluffy babies was very fun and fulfilling for me. I loved being a groomer, and found great joy in seeing my clients excitement when they saw their pets for the first time since drop off. I would have stayed if not for the toxic environment created by coworkers and management alike.

Imagine working for a place where your coworkers got away with minimalist attitudes, yet you were expected to work 110%. The salon manager herself refused to handle customer concerns when they asked for her, and instead would loudly say that the customer was a "crazy b*tch" that she didn't have time for. This happened not once, or even twice, but multiple times a week. I often saw my "team" playing on cell phones and ignoring customers while hiding in the back, or hidden away in the break room. One floor associate and myself were then made responsible for handling the operations of the entire store and its salon ourselves, and were reprimanded for not being able to get everything done by ourselves.

If you brought any concerns to the management team they were brushed off as unimportant. No problem was big enough to make them take a stand and put in a little effort at problem solving. Major health concerns (backed by multiple doctors) were overlooked, and EPNs were used as a terror tactic that drove away all the good workers I saw during my time there.

One thing I definitely learned while working there was that no matter how fulfilling a job is, it isn't enough when your mental and physical health is being put on the line.
it was an ok job
Groomer's Assistant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Able to help outside of the Grooming section
I arrive and clock in, Started cleaning the dog hair and nail clippings, and oopsies made by the dogs. I assisted the groomers with bathing dog and drying them off.

Try to get get dog ready in a timely manner.

I thought the managment could of been better. Lots of disorganization going on.

The hardest part is the the pay.. i know it seems i picky on it but they did min wage plus commission which is kinda hard for an groomers assistant.
Good for an in-between job
Retail Stock Associate (Former Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FLAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Smelling like a pet store
No advancement and even when you drink the kool-aid. Management is under-qualified and over confident. Only work there for short bursts.
Challenging environment with many opportunities to interract with customers.
Store management (Current Employee), Natick,MA.August 16, 2015
Pros: great group of people to work with, being able to educate and accomodate our customers with one to one interraction.
Cons: payroll and staffing, constant aggravation from advertising over our airwaves encouraging people to buy on line, which compromises our sales, which in turn affects our payroll and staffing.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with staff and customers, often with their pets. My direct input with regard to maintaining high levels of instock and being able to accommodate various customer needs gives me a great deal of satisfaction. Teaching and empowering associates and encouraging their participation in various activities is also very enjoyable.
There are no typical days at this particular store. That provides a constant challenge and keeps one's mind on constant alert.
Biggest challenge is constant changes and new programs from corporate, sometimes questionable, but again a challenge as to how we can implement and give it the old college try.
HAD FUN
Groomer (Former Employee), Inglewood, CAAugust 15, 2015
Pros: NON STRESSFUL
Cons: CLEANING DOG POO
FUN FRIENDLY LOVING PLACE TO WORK I HAD TONS OF FUN AT THAT JOBS I LOVED WORKING WITH THE PUPPYS AND THE FACE ON THE CUSTOMER WHEN THEY COME BACK TO A CLEAN PET
Headquarters