Petco

Petco United States Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Hendersonville, TNApril 30, 2015
Opportunity to be educated in animal care and customer service. Willing to train you into management along with much needed knowledge of animals.
Great Place to Connect and Engage other Pet Owners
General Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 29, 2015
Pros: Making a difference in the lives of Pet Parents and their furry friends
Cons: Lack of consistent career path for top achievers.
Sharing with customers the nutrition benefits of various pet foods and services. A company who really cares about doing what's best for employees and customers. Strong Brand and Culture.
Fun and fast environment with wonderful customers
Dog and Cat Department Manager (Current Employee), Stafford, VAApril 29, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: daily lifting of 30 to 40 lbs of litter and dog food.
A typical day is busy and fast as well as enjoyable. Spending the day caring for pets and people while running the day to day activity list. Our day begins with cleaning and feeding animals and continues
to answering phones, assisting customers and education of animal care and food. I spend the rest of the day assigning duties, assisting in other departments, emails, receiving vendors, data entry and supervising co-workers.The hardest part about my job is seeing mistreated animals while the most enjoyable is the time spent with customers and there pets.
Productive and we love the dogs and other animals that come in
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Wausau, WIApril 28, 2015
Pros: We can leave for lunch
Cons: There is no healthcare for part time people.
Customers come in get there items I check them out of the store, I learned what the needs were for our customers. Our management and co-workers work as a team, lifting heavy items can be difficult at times, I enjoy when customers bring the pets into the store.
Poor management
Petcare specialist/ Cashier- Every (Former Employee), mckinney, txApril 27, 2015
Employees were not polite to customers and cleaning and sanitation duties were not in-forced! The hardest thing was to get through the smell all day. The best part was interacting with the animals. We were trained in just about everything so that we could be used at the managers convenience.
If you enjoy pets and need a part time job this is perfect for you!
Store Attendant (Former Employee), Montclair, CAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Discount on Pet Food/ Supplies
Cons: Min Wage, Cleaning up feces regularly
I had a good experience with this company. The management at my store was great. I really enjoyed handling the animals and learning more about different animals. It was fun because you never knew what animal would come through the doors. People would bring their dogs, cats, birds, spiders, reptiles, and once even a pet skunk.
Fun work place
Associate (Former Employee), Delafield, WIApril 24, 2015
Pros: Working with animals
Cons: No standard work hours, or ammount of hours weekly
Typically, I would work a afternoon to evening shift, but it would vary. I would usually work at the register, or back in the stock room managing inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with animals, and helping people with their pets.
Would be a great place to work
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), McMinnville, ORApril 24, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not enough groomers /staff
My typical day at work when I worked there was ok not the way I would have liked it to be if I could start all over again and go back I would and I am sure it would be an awesome place to work! The benefits are great, the employees in and outside the groom-shop are very pleasant.
Fun environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 24, 2015
Pros: Working with animals and fun/freindly co-workers, relating to customers and gaining relationships
Cons: Short breaks, hardly any benefits, dealing with self-rightous customers whom have set opinions and treat you poorly
Petco is a fun place to work as long as your team members are friendly and compliant and management is not lazy or condescending. Working with the animals is a great experience if taught properly. But customers can be very strict on the service they expect.
Such poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edwardsville, PAApril 24, 2015
Pros: customers love to talk about their pets and you get to have some great encounters with them
Cons: pay, schedule, understaffed, lack of focus on customer satisfaction
Like many retail jobs, the pay, lack of benefits, schedule, and attendance policy sucks. This place is exceptionally bad because it pays even less than the other nearby retail stores, and therefore cannot keep employees. Management regularly spoke ill of applicants, and employees constantly complained that their schedule restrictions were not respected. Customers also complained about management almost daily. Some complained that the shelves were always empty, others that the manager was rude. I was offended at how the general manager spoke to our customers, and after working there, I will never shop there again. It is also worth noting that nobody ever cleans or stocks the restroom. Furthermore, all training is done on a computer, and then the tasks performed on the floor aren't in adherence with the training. Associates who "trained" me hands-on were only hired a week or two before myself, and weeks later the manager was still surprised to see tasks being done differently than the way they were done at the location he previously worked at.
Great Place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Appleton, WIApril 23, 2015
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: Crazy saturdays
There is no typical day because everyday is different.
I have learned time management skills, task priority, and customer service.
Mangers are always available and great people to work with
Co-workers are great people to work with
Hardest part of the job is trying to make sure that you give enough time to customers who have several questions
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know repeat customers and that you are able to have fun at work
Poor management
Inventory Manager (Current Employee), UnknownApril 22, 2015
Called in continually on days off. Favoritism to the extreme, No room for advancement as promised. The animals at Petco are not well cared for in this store.

Very clicky and full of gossip
Used to be good....
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaApril 20, 2015
This was a great place to work.... until last year. They've dropped a ton of new initiatives on the store and have been very negative about it.

I used to love this company, and if they went back to where we could have fun and just be there for the animals, then I'd love it again.
I spent my days Grooming Dogs.
Groomer (Former Employee), Norman, OKApril 18, 2015
My favorite part of grooming dogs is seeing the transformation when a dog is brought in in terrible condition and the owner come back hours later to pick them up and not only has to dog's physical appearance changed but so has it's personality.
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Warwick, RIApril 18, 2015
-Do not value employees
-Do not take customers needs into account
-Cooperate management does not follow their own policy
-Policy changes by store
-Confusing customers and employees by rolling out new methods and systems only to change them 3 months later
Poor Management and an unpleasant work enviornment
Dog amd Cat Department Manager (Former Employee), North Amdover, MAApril 17, 2015
Cons: poor management, very difficult to reach human resource department
I use to work for the Petco out of North Andover, MA and I will have to say it was the worst job ever. The General Manager lived by the phrase, "do as I say, not as I do". I was the only male employee at the time and one of the 5 managers that worked, and alI was always tasked with the heavy lifting which screwed me in the long run and led to back problems. The work load was never distributed equally amongst the employees and the if you got on the GM's bad side, she would write you up with our you even knowing until it was time to fire you. And if you had a conplaint about saying or need to talk to human resources, you couldnt. They were based out of some country in India I think.
A great place to work during college (at least my location)
Stock Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), La Cañada Flintridge, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, nice atmosphere, good management
Cons: Crazy stock shift hours
I actually ended up loving working here. I was a stocking associate and cashier, and while I liked working as a cashier more, the stocking part of the job had crazy hours (10pm to 7am shifts), but the guys I worked with were awesome and had great personality and humor. I'm still friends with half the employees that work there. Work/life balance was good, and full shifts didn't feel that long most days. I really liked most of the managers and my coworkers. I think the hardest part of the job was just learning everything as quick as possibly (especially cleaning the animal habitats quickly, that was the hardest part). I really enjoyed helping people in the store, but sometimes the people who came into the store were super rude [I think it has to do with the attitude of the town (self entitled affluent people)]. If it paid more and the job had more variety, I probably would have continued working there for longer.
petco
Grooming Receptionist/Grooming Assistant (Current Employee), Vallejo, CAApril 16, 2015
I love working for petco because I love the animals that come in, I just which the environment had a better vibe. It would be a lot better if everyone got along and were able to settle problems in a mature manner.
I enjoyed working with animals. I enjoy customer service , retail and working with the public.
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Working with the public
Cons: Constant managment changes
As an assistant manager I helped in overseeing the day to day activities of running a retail environment. I was a key holder. I opened and closed the store which included making bank deposits
Overall good if you are desperate for work
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee), Murrieta, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Long breaks, Kind managers
Cons: Little pay, some underhanded practices
My personal experience was pretty bad with Petco. I enjoyed working with and near animals but I feel I was treated in a very underhanded manner. I was hired for a specific job title and told that I would ALSO be needed for a remodel, and after that I would begin my regular work as a Sales associate. However after the remodel was finished, I called to ask for my schedule and was crudely told that I was simply "Only needed for the remodel." I was considerably disappointed, but I at least got a paycheck and some experience out of it. However they held my paycheck for about two weeks without ever calling me about it - once again I had to contact them and ask them about to which I was told "Oh yes it's been in the backroom for a while, come in and get it."

1 2 3 4 5

About Petco

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more

Petco Salaries