Petco Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,575 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Eatontown, NJAugust 28, 2016
I work with wonderful people. working with animals is a huge plus. Helping customers solve problems and help with build relationships with their animals.
very comfortable workplace
Merchandise Ops specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAAugust 27, 2016
Work day is fast paced. Always learning something new about pet animals. Management for the most part is down to earth and open to suggestions. Co-workers are mostly friendly and very customer service oriented. Hardest part of the job is getting daily tasks done on time. Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with pets and their owners
Pros
Great employee discounts
Cons
Not always enough time to complete appointed daily tasks
Working at PetCo
Companion Animal Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 26, 2016
This place was actually a pretty fun place to work, they take animal care seriously unlike their competition and treat the employees that work there with respect.
Pros
Good benefits, pretty decent starting pay, and friendly people.
Cons
N/A
A usual day at work
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYAugust 26, 2016
I usually arrived early and set up my grooming supplies. Then went over the dogs charts that have been there in the past to get a feel for what they might want when the customers came in. I learned how to safely cut a dogs coat and how to effectively get the cut the customer wanted. The hardest part of the job would be when I had a new dog. The most enjoyable part is knowing that the customer was happy and helping the dogs feel better.
Pros
groomed my own dogs
Cons
Short breaks and no cover if you had something going on
Is this high school again?
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 25, 2016
drama drama drama. unprofessional management team, lack of communication, un sanitary workplace, and a grooming manager that doesnt follow rules herself, such as grooming barefoot, then turns around and writes snotty passive aggressive notes to employees without ever speaking on the subject. Greedy groomers that double book themselves before anyone else is making money, and specifically takes the pet clients they wan and appoint the "bad ones" to other groomers. Between dog hoarding and store coupons, its impossible to make any real money. now they changed the pay system to exactly 10 per hour instead of the 50% commission groomers are supposed to make.
Pros
store discount
Cons
everything else
If you love animals, then Petco is a productive fun place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDAugust 25, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is, by far, the customers and their pets. Petco provides managers with solid animal training that enables you to help people provide a healthy lifestyle for their pets. Seeing an animals life improve as a direct result of your customer service is extremely validating.
Pros
Puppies!
Fun place to work
Ticket Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2016
Professional company with professional workers. Great management, great coworkers, easily the best job I've had. Parking can be tough working in downtown.
Petco
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAAugust 23, 2016
A typical day for me at work is to come to work on time and start working on what needs to be done in each section when your done with section you start doing another section like take the trash out and organize

What i learned at Petco is that you have to have a smile on your face everyday that you come to work greet people ask the cashier if they have any go backs to put away

The Management there at Petco are really nice and sweet

My Co-workers at petco are nice they ask you if your doing okay and if they need any help with anything

Im a hard learn and willing to learn anything new that comes my way i am willing to take the time to organize the shelves clean the bathrooms and do anything that the manager ask me to do i have a positive attitude i also like to experience more in any company that im willing to work in
Cons
Short Breaks
slow paced, but rewarding.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Speedway, INAugust 23, 2016
The work days could go by slowly due to lack business. The employees were patient but not always the most polite. The management was fair. However, I did greatly enjoy the work that I had and the people that I worked with. I loved being able to work with animals and seeing the smiling faces on loving families as they would embrace their new family members, and it would bring me great joy knowing that I was assisting in helping beautiful animals find a new home. Working their has taught me the value of your labour and how its not always about trying to do your best to look your best, but doing your best to help others such as your customers and coworkers.
Pros
working with animals, flexible breaks, understanding staff
Cons
long and slow work days with few jobs to be done.
Some great people, some not so great
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brooksville, FLAugust 20, 2016
Petco is a great company to work for if you join the right team. When the wrong people are part of your team, you have to pick up their slack, and it is hard to get rid of the weak associates.
One of the most difficult things is explaining things to customers who believe they know everything and you know nothing. Most customers do not realize that the people Petco employs have education, or backgrounds with animal related industries, ex veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, herpetology, rescues, wildlife, etc.
No training, poor pay, great staff
Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 20, 2016
After six months I've completed no training and have no hopes of getting any. Even learning on the job is tricky because I'm still the new guy and don't get to try new things. Corporate only allows a certain number of payroll hours per store so there is no time to do structured training or to shadow an experienced associate. Lost employees aren't being replaced (thank corporate again) so staffing is very thin. Looks like new owners want to show a big profit before selling again, but customers aren't happy when they have to wait in line to be helped with a fish or a bark collar. I got hired over other applicants because I have a lot of experience with animals, yet they pay me minimum wage. Hours are low unless someone needs time off. Coworkers are wonderful and so are the animals.
Pros
Animals, coworkers, stable work policies
Cons
Few hours, low pay, no training
Enjoyable with animals
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Clifton Heights, PAAugust 20, 2016
Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants to needs.
Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
Clean shelves, counters, and tables.
Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
Open and close cash registers, performing tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits.
Issue receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customers.
Answer customers’ questions, and provide information on procedures or policies.
Pros
work with animals
Cons
Hours
not busy enough.
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJAugust 19, 2016
i need a job where i am busy and can show my skills. I cannot survive on pay scale. Its not a bad place to work. Not sure why they are not busy. They go thru alot of groomers, I assume its because boss at this location no one likes. i get along with everyone, its part of my skills having my own business.
Cons
not busy enough
There was no career advancement
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2016
*A typical day would be making sure animals were taken care of first, customers taken care of second, stocking, receiving/unloading shipments, opening/closing the store, managing a team of employees.

*What I learned overall was to never settle and always seek for better out of life.

*Management overall was a great experience. There could have been more communication.

*Some Co-Workers were a bit lazy but overall great employees.

*There were never really any hard parts.

* The most enjoyable part was being able to assist customers.
Could have been better.
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 17, 2016
Management at the time of employment was very immature, fellow employees were very unreliable and alot favortism. Towards end of employment work schedule began to conflict with college classes so had to quit in the end.
Cons
Lunch breaks to short
Productive and fun
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 17, 2016
You greet pet parents and assist them with their needs,watch over their loved pets and take care of them as well as bathe and groom them. Really great starting place to work. Would go back.
I look forward to work!!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAAugust 16, 2016
My manager has created an environment that is fun and productive. We are the busiest store in our district and we still manage to take care of our customers and have a bit of fun too. That's not to say every day is rainbows and sprinkles it is busy and hectic and occasionally we get irate customers. But all in all our customers are great.
Pros
Helping pet parents with all of their fur baby needs. Greeting all the dogs that come in, it really makes my day!
Cons
Ten minute breaks are hard to come by.
Great place to work and develop retail skills
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 14, 2016
I have worked for Petco for many years! Petco is and will always be one of the best places I've ever worked at! Petco is all about rewarding hard work and preparing associates for leadership positions!
minimum wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 13, 2016
The pay is minimum wage and you work very hard for very little compensation. They have a rewards program "caught in the act" but the trinkets they send only go to the managers, not the intended employee.
Working 8 hour shifts, you are lucky to get your break within the first 7 hours. Many times you will work all day, be take your 30 minute break, just to clock back in just to go home in 30 minutes.
I received a $.09 cent raise (nine cents!) after 11 months of employment. I was told it would've been $.20 (twenty cents) if I was there a year.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management, pay, lack of care for the animals.
The past managers were great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 12, 2016
I loved the work environment because I love animals. The management was poor and everyone was expected to go above and beyond their job duties. Most times doing managerial things.
Pros
Animals