Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,283 reviews matching the search
Frustrating, but fun. Slow, but with quirks.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Sammamish, WAAugust 22, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of the lower level "managers" telling others to work, while they were on their phones. Hypocritical.
I learned many new things about animals, & people.
The head manager was amazing. Organized, friendly, creative, clean, etc.
The hardest part was dealing with my co-workers. Never nice.
Sometimes the customers were a pain.
The animals were always the best part.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lack of knowledgable lower-managment
Productive and fun workplace.
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAAugust 22, 2017
Enjoyed working at Petco,especially helping customers, that was the most enjoyable part of the job. There were no hard parts or worst parts of the job.
high stress low return
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MAAugust 22, 2017
Working as a Pet Stylist was frequently very stressful and my work was not necessarily recognized. I generally stayed 30-60 mins late and very rarely had enough time to take a lunch. In spite of this, the company was always pushing us to work harder & longer. They definitely push quantity over quality when it comes to the final product of your work. Whenever there was a complaint, error, or conflict, the company generally did not have your back as an employee. They also didn't listen to our requests to have blades sharpened, tools fixed, maintenance done, etc. However, the benefits were decent and it's a good place to get your foot in the door of dog grooming.
Pros
great benefits, flexible schedule, Pto
Cons
had to work late, not enough time for lunch breaks, no support for employees
Very clean, upkept, fun job to start out.
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fair Oaks, CAAugust 22, 2017
I loved working at Petco and maybe in the future will return. It helped me advance my experience in retail, customer service, and as a dog trainer. Excellent General Manager and co workers. Very much like a small work family.
Cons
District manager, salary, opportunities for advancement
Great Place to work
Sales Representative/ Nutrition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FL 34684August 22, 2017
I actually loved working here. Only reason I left was due to health issues, and even when I was trying to leave, they wanted me to stay. Paid training and really hands on. Only con is that you really don't get paid more than minimum wage.
Quit because of the pay structure. Wasn't making the money we made even a year ago ago
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 22, 2017
Would still be their if there pay structure was the same. Once that was changed they lost allot of seasoned groomers. their also losing their clients because there going wherever their groomer goes or they find a new place that has experienced groomers
Cons
Fun place to work, mostly shorthanded
Guest Advisor Leader (Former Employee) –  Sugarland, TXAugust 22, 2017
I loved the animal side of the job, however, the inventory side is what kills it. The stores are often shorthnded and I was always expected to pick up the slack.
Pros
Fun environment, promotion opportunities.
Cons
Low pay, consistently shorthanded
i loved working with a variety of animals. Meeting and educating other animal lovers.
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 22, 2017
Need more associates working then just the cashier and manager most days. Petco promotes adoption. They donate lots of items to local rescues. Petco foundation does a lot of good for animals, was proud to be a part of that.
Pros
Petco foundation, adoptions
Cons
theft, not enough people working most of the time
Petco is awesome
Dog Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2017
I personally love working with animals so this was a great opportunity. Petco gives their employee's knowledge of what they're selling so that's beneficial.
Productive and Fun Workplace,many animals and different adventures
Department Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2017
-On a typical day Im doing any and everything from playing with and checking on animal health to running a register,receiving a delivery,helping a dog trainer land a session,helping animal rescue agencies find loving homes for animals,assuring employees are taking breaks,getting change and cash for registers,making sure trash and bathrooms are clean and sanitized,
-I learned hard work pays off,I learned humbleness,I learned to lead you must follow,I learned to put the focus of the company before my interest,I learned self awareness and how to be enviornment aware,
-Management is Being available,courteous and on time,understanding that your life is not your life anymore lol... whatever the job needs done while you are on the clock is important,
Being responsible for the day to day operations for a shift or the day
Making sure all registers are counted and verified,making sure cash is secure(registers,safe,bank card)ect.
-Workplace culture was awesome sauce,animal-people interaction.
-Hardest part of the job was disappointing or dis saticfying a customer.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is the feeling of being the one responsible for getting through the day or shift so we can do it all again.
Pros
discounts, animals, self-progression
Cons
Being exposed to animal diseise
Became A Nightmare
Cashier/Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 21, 2017
When I first started at Petco my general manager was very flexible about my schedule. And the work environment was one I enjoyed being in everyday. The most enjoyable part of my job was the coworkers that I worked with it was like working with family. I learned a lot from each of my coworkers about the specific nutritional requirements for each of the animals we sold in the store. As well as learning about the different nutrition in dog and cat food. When management changed in 2017 things begin to get very stressful for not only me but some of my other coworkers. I slowly started to not enjoy my work environment anymore. My work schedule became inconsistent. And the communication with management became difficult at times I felt like I was being walked all over. I ended up injuring myself and my doctor's note was not accommodated by the manager.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
not accommodated doctor's note
got to love animals
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2017
Great place to work. Gives you the challenges of running a retail store and the enjoyment of animal welfare. I have learned a lot about animals. Great work/life balance.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Competition, including on-line
Fun place to work with great coworkers
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lihue, HIAugust 20, 2017
It was very fun working here. The staff was awesome, but the job wasn't. Pet parents are very demanding and can sometimes be straight up rude. The shifts were okay, it just dragged.
Poor Management
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJAugust 19, 2017
During my years working at Petco as a groomer, I have overall been very unhappy with management and pay for the job that I was hired into. I am a certified pet stylist, with years of experience, working directly with dogs, sharp objects, customers, and a high level of expertise for what I am doing, and was making less than some of the basic store associates working on the floor, because of the company-wide change to their grooming salon pay system. The pay used to be good, but the entire system was changed last summer and is now not even worth working for. Unfortunately, I can probably make way more money working a desk job with much less stress and physical strain somewhere else. Over the past couple of months, our General Manager was transferred to another store, along with our assistant manager, and Petco does not wish to replace these positions in order to save money on payroll. This left us with ONE department manager, who was obviously not trained to play the role of GM and/or assistant manager, and therefore could not help out much. The salon manager was also transferred to another store shortly afterwards, and was replaced by a groomer who had JUST graduated out of school and was extremely inexperienced, untrained, and unprofessional when it came to both her employees and her customers. The complete lack of management in both the grooming department, and the store as a whole, led to an understaffed, ill-managed work environment with no one to turn to when there was an issue that needed answering or resolving. With such a short staff and having to deal with many things  more... on my own, I was almost never able to take a lunch break, even after working for many hours on my feet managing dogs, cleaning, and handling customers. Everything fell apart very very quickly, and I have heard other groomers and associates from neighboring towns and stores have the same problem. As a groomer, I would NEVER recommend anyone to apply to Petco, because even if your location has a full staff of managers, you will be SEVERELY underpaid and overworked. The stress level of this job is not worth tolerating, regardless of how much a person loves animals and being a groomer. Please do yourself a favor and apply to a local private or non-corporate grooming facility. There are definitely much better places to work than Petco.  less
Pros
Decent level of PTO
Cons
Hardly any breaks, lack of management, poor management, Underpaid, very high unnecessary stress
Productive and fast moving place
D.C. Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 18, 2017
10 hour shifts from 4 am to 2:30 pm
learned good communication skills
managed large groups at a time
enjoyable workplace over all
hardest part is the early start time
Pros
free lunches, good benefits
Cons
long shifts/ early start
Great employees
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAAugust 18, 2017
Management was hard to work for however the employees were great and friendly. Hours were not great and you get called in a lot because of it. If you love animals it's a good place to get started
Pros
Animals and employees
Sales
Stock Worker/ Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2017
I worked in sales, and I enjoyed working with animals also. The position was challenging, yet I enjoyed working with my bosses and coworkers. I reflect on my time at Petco with a positive feeling.
Good place to learn
Pet Stylist/Grooming Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Paso Robles, CAAugust 16, 2017
Petco was a great place to learn, they don't require any previous experience and send you through schooling for everything you need for the job. They not only offer hands on training but computer training as well.
Fast paced, unrelenting environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 16, 2017
Working in a retail setting should be something that is required in life. Its an extremely fast paced, always changing environment that truly keeps you on your toes. If you have had the opportunity to work in the retail market, then you know what it feels like to not work there anymore or shop at a store knowing first hand what it takes to do so. Life in retail is what you make of it, it can be the most rewarding thing at times and one or the worst experiences of your life the next. It is entirely based on your perspective and attitude.
Pros
Fast paced, always changing, empowering
Cons
long hours, no hours, no acknowledgement of work done, rude customers
Rewarding & Fun
Pet Groomer (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAAugust 16, 2017
A typical day in the salon at Petco includes being WET AND DIRTY all day! You are in full view of customers and clients during the grooming process. If you are confident in your job performance, and you love animals-this job is quite rewarding.
Pros
Unscheduled breaks
Cons
Unscheduled breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.