Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,353 reviews matching the search
Typical Retail Experience with subpar management
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 12, 2017
Mileage may vary depending on location but ultimately the pay/benefits/hours/management is pretty typical to most retail environments and the stress and demanding tasks are also pretty par for the course with the addition of live animals in the store. Policies aren't always consistent or updated and animal care generally takes a back seat to other store operations or customer care. Payroll is tight and a lot of things tend to get swept under the rug and passed over by head MGMT and then eventually trickle down to the p/t employees to take care of. Lack of communication is definitely the ultimate downfall and inconsistency in policy execution makes it hard to keep up with the day to day. Decent first job, not for forever though.
Pros
Staff is generally friendly, deep discounts on good brands
Cons
scheduling, pay, stressful, bad managment
Pretty chill place for an easy early job.
Guest Adviser (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CASeptember 11, 2017
Petco was my first real job, and it was a good place to start. I was a cashier, then later became Guest Adviser. I got some good practice interacting with customers, which is not something I was looking forward to. Working with animal is nice, I began to care more about pets and animals in general the longer I worked there. Probably the highest praise I can give Petco is that there really is a culture of respecting animals and caring for them. Everyone I worked with wanted to see pets treated well, and this is admirable.
It's okay
Recieving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Reno-Stead, NVSeptember 10, 2017
It's a fun place to work people were great there just the mangement was very poorly only cared for numbers didn't care if you were tired or not always mandatory to work every Saturday
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not so good mangement
It can be a fun place to work .
MERCHANDISING OPERATIONS LEADER (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 9, 2017
It Has been a long 12 yrs . There is room for advancement . If you love animals this is the place for you . Fast pace fun loving job where animal care comes first .
Pros
Discount on product
Cons
Never enough time to get my job done.
horrible manager
Associate (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 8, 2017
work is stressful, constantly having to multitask which is fine but its a lot of pressure. the environment was fine until a new manager came in and ruined everything. you are constantly being watched and never any positive feedback just negativity and complaints.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
management
Fun Workplace but too much down time.
Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eastpointe, MISeptember 8, 2017
Petco was a good place to work for me. I've always loved animals so when I got the opportunity to work there I took it immediately. I recently parted ways with them to find something better though.
Petco
Inventory Manager, Reptile Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lompoc, CASeptember 8, 2017
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc., or simply Petco, is an American privately held pet retailer in the United States, with corporate offices in San Diego and San Antonio. Petco sells pet products and services, as well as certain types of live animals.
Stressful and Long hours
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCSeptember 8, 2017
Petco is a stressful company to work for. The management was never consistent. I enjoyed the co workers, but not the long extended hours Quick to fire..
fun
Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GA 30144September 8, 2017
interesting, not busy because of knew opening, few employees, closing and opening, busy managers, not friendly employees, rules not followed like expected.
Desperation
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 7, 2017
I took the job out of desperation. I was out of work for 2 years and needed something, I applied, they accepted.
If I remember correctly I day a week you worked at 6:30 when a truck arrived..
Pros
Being around happy people and their pets.
Cons
Heavy bags of dog food.
Fun place to work with lots of animals to play with
AQUATIC SPECIALIST/SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCSeptember 7, 2017
There is always an animal that needs to attention in the store. Whether it is dogs and cats, or fish and vet patients in quarantine. While I worked at my specific store, I was not pleased with the attitude and care given to the animals by certain managers and wanted no part in it. I have however heard that new management has been placed and they are undergoing a "refresher"
Pros
Animals, long breaks
Cons
Store is generally unwatched by Distict managers, leaving the General mangers to themselves.
Frustrating Management and Often Inconsistent Hours
Merchandising Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plover, WISeptember 7, 2017
The company as a whole does not treat its workers very well. Pay is low to start, and does not improve very quickly at all.

Management is not respectful of employees, and instead of teaching and training employees to follow correct procedures, you are left to fend for yourself; only learning by making mistakes and being scolded when it eventually happens.

Despite having online training meant to walk you through all the store procedures, I was never really given a chance to go through the online training beyond the first week working there. It was completely ineffective due to outdated equipment, broken links and videos that failed to load in.

Management has a habit of bad talking about employees with their coworkers, leading to an environment where you constantly worry that the same is being said about you while you are not in the room.

Hours are often inconsistent, with a mixed bag of early mornings, days, and night shifts, sometimes all in a single week. There are plenty of hours to go around due to the fact that we are understaffed, so it is very easy to get a full time job, if you want it. Sadly there is no easy schedule which makes it VERY hard to make plans for anything that isn't 2 weeks out. I have missed many events due to last minute invites and spur of the moment planning. Asking days off in advance feels like pulling teeth and management makes it seem an inconvenience to them personally.

The store is a revolving door of employees, with people coming on board and leaving the company at alarmingly fast rates.

The only really enjoyable parts of
  more... the job are getting to assist customers and educate them so that they can give the best lives possible to their animals, and getting to pet dogs regularly. It is vary rewarding to help care for animals in the store, and to help people pick the right animal for them.

The best days on the job are truck days (5am start time), or days working store resets (4am start time), as the majority of the morning is spent working without interruption by coworkers or customers. It is also nice to be out of the store and done with work early in the day, as opposed to working nights, where I would not be done until 9:30pm.
Pros
Two 10 minute breaks in an 8 hour shift, working with animals
Cons
half hour unpaid lunch, poor management
Great place to work with animals
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, ILSeptember 7, 2017
I liked working at petco because of the experience i gained working with animals and teaching people about animal diet and care i learned alot from working thier
Great Co-workers, Bad Management
Aquatics Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORSeptember 7, 2017
Working here was very easy and laid back but what the CEO wanted for the animals was always more important. Speed was more important. Overall it's not a bad place to work.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Animal Welfare
Petco
Associate Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 6, 2017
If you like animals, this is the place for you. There are plenty of products to satisfy a learning individual. Customer care is utmost as people love their pets and want the best.
No care for the staff, staff only interested in protecting themselves
Dept manager (Current Employee) –  NJSeptember 6, 2017
My employment started out well in Till I transferred to a,new store, then it all went downhill fast, managers are walking out two in 4 months. New new manager only interested in watching their own back and will blame anyone but themselves, under constant anxiety about being fired. Always being blamed for bad performance but the other manager gets,away with murder, not happy there at all.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks, frequent call outs.
At Petco, animals rarely come first
Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Lenox, ILSeptember 6, 2017
Management is lazy -- they will hide in the office and smoke cigarettes outside leaving all the actual work to the associates

I was the aquatics specialist and routinely had to cover the register and help customers on the floor AND be by the fish ........ I was expected to be in three places at once all while my manager hid.

The fact is, every manager hates their life at Petco and they no longer care about animals or anything... they just want to get paid to do nothing.

If they see you care about animals, congratulations! Now you're the one responsible for their well-being.

Petco saw I cared about animals and took advantage of me while not giving me the raise they promised me for over 6 months.

I would never work there again
Pros
animals
Cons
poor management, immature work environment, no advancement potential
Fast paced. Fun environment.
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 5, 2017
Great co workers and manager. Love being around other people who care about animals as much as I do. Great grooming and dog training programs. Great low prices.
Working At Petco As A Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 5, 2017
This is a very fun and relaxed place to work for animal lovers. A typical day consisted of ringing up customer's items and making sure the store looked neat and organized. I learned about pet nutrition and how to better interact with the public. My coworkers were a pleasure to interact with. The most enjoyable part of the job was being surrounded by animals!
Pros
discounts, fun for animal lovers
If you love animals you will love Petco
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2017
Petco was a great place to work. I was hired to work in the aquatic department part time and within 8 months I was managing my own store in Houston. I worked up until I had my son. Petco made great accommodations while I was pregnant, I left on maternity leave but decided to be a stay at home mom.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.