Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,350 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work; relaxed atmosphere in grooming salon; great styling products provided
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GASeptember 3, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with PETCO and it is through this company that I went to grooming school and learned a life-long trade. The grooming salon was essentially its own entity, as it was adjacent to the main store and it was very low stress. The major drawback from the job was that on time off, you only earned a base hourly wage which was not necessarily reflective of one's typical income.
Pros
Great customers who love their pets; low stress work environment; general freedom to run salon
Cons
Paid time off based on hourly wage; lack of career advancement
Fun job
Merchandise Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaSeptember 3, 2017
Fun job with alot of interesting critters. Learn alot about different animals. I enjoy working there while going to school. Don't really know what else to put.
Laid back
Merchandising Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYSeptember 3, 2017
Depending on store. Petco is one of the better retail chains i've been employed with. They care about their animals and the jobs are pretty simple. Overall so far a good company
Good for a competitive and fast-paced work
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Saint Paul, MNSeptember 3, 2017
A typical day always starts with a brief meeting that outlines the goals for the day and what needs to be done by closing. The management is a mix of relaxed and understanding; but also determination to keep the store on track with its task. The team is easy to work with, very friendly. The hardest part of the job is the pushing of sales (dog training, grooming i.e.) but the easiest is the abundance of puppies and kittens that come into the store with new parents who need help finding what they need.
Pros
Discounts if you have pets; quick-paced advancment
Cons
Multi-tasking and quick learning is key
Fun and exciting job
Sales Associate/Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 2, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Petco. I left because I became very I'll and I lost a lot of my points. Petco works with the point system. The management was great and so were my fellow co workers.
good work enviroment
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 1, 2017
Good place to work for temporary. Wish commission was better. Good management, and employees/coworkers. Worked along side some of the greatest people in the grooming industry.
Fun place
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 1, 2017
Work can be fun,but also stressful at times.Finding the right staff can be challenging and but usually you find people who truly care about animals.Thats why I work for petco
Fun place to work if you love animals!
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COSeptember 1, 2017
I loved working for Petco...until I transferred to a location with the worst GM ever! The Petco culture is great, the work is rewarding, and the animals are so much fun! The pay could be a little better, but all and all I recommend Petco as a great workplace!
Pros
Cats and Dogs
Cons
Mediocre pay
Fun place to work!
customer advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 31, 2017
My only complaint was the pay and hours. Otherwise, very fun and quick paced. Days will fly by for you. And you get discounts on purchased if you work there!
Exhausting work, on your feet all day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Union, NJAugust 31, 2017
Pet care, animals bite!
Hot, stores
Unprofessional Management
Lazy coworkers
Endless stocking of supplies that no one purchases
Odd shifts, must work weekends
Pros
Cons
no breaks
Fun place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAAugust 30, 2017
Petco is a very fun place to work. The work isn't difficult and there is room for advancement. Being a department manager was a great opportunity to learn how a business works
Doo Doo Every Day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 30, 2017
This place is like being in middle school. Immature co-workers not willing to pull their own weight and managers that don't do anything about it. Clique-like atmosphere, back-stabbing and overall just very unprofessional. Unless you're a major brown noser, you won't get far here. Raises and advancements are slim to none. Hardest part of the job is trying to get as close to 40 hours as possible to make a very low non-livable wage. Best part was being able to see and connect with so many animals.
Pros
Animals to pet and hold.
Cons
Not enough hours/pay/opportunities to move up.
all depends
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDAugust 30, 2017
management plays a huge role in the company my first manager was excellent he he left the store took a nose dive and caused alot of good workers to leave and our costumers to disappear
horrible place no training
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAAugust 29, 2017
if you want a headache take this job little cliche office sitting people. no training work by yourself in a horrible location the customers are horrible
Overall - Not a fun Experience
Groomer/Bather (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAAugust 29, 2017
A Sink or Swim mindset that isn't meant to positively challenge but cripple.They aren't looking for people they are looking for robots. Training was bordering unhelpful and set someone up to fail if they didn't already know what they were doing, in a job that was specified to be a training job. An environment that made asking for help a problem or a hindrance. Employees didn't always follow the safety rules so they could make up time for over encumbering themselves with more animals than they were supposed to do in a day. Some animals showed aggression and were still allowed in, despite rules and safety policies stating that if any aggression or even stress is shown that the animal should be turned away. Training was more of pointing out errors and criticising time and work instead of correcting in ex. being simply told 'that's not right' or 'no' instead of 'it should be done this way' or 'this is how you do it'.

Don't get sick because you will be penalized no matter what it is if it's contagious or not, and the company follows a point system. Like stated before, looking for robots, not people.

Great benefits if you can survive.
Pros
Great benefits if you make it longer then a few months
Cons
Sink or Swim, Competitive, Loophole like rules, robot mindset, Lack of training that sets someone up to fail
nothing to say
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Gatos, CAAugust 28, 2017
Very high stress, manual labor, stocking, register, customer service, I learned to be patient and how to properly care for animals. Nice to have a flexible schedule
Cons
Very productive, get to meet new animals and see the animals.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAAugust 28, 2017
Every Tuesday and Wednesday I would work as a Stock Clerk. I would stock the shelves, make sure they are in the right areas and such. I would also help with costumer service like helping customers find what they need to buy.
Pros
Socializing
Cons
Short breaks
Terrible Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 28, 2017
It was a fun company to work for when I started in 1997 but as it grew, it lost focus on both it's people and what it takes to create a good reputation.
Stressful from the beginning
Companion Animal Department Manager (Promotion) (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 27, 2017
Upper management expects tasks to be done but at the same time helping customers which at times tasks can be a little much. There is no way to get sick because attendance is a must and is not fair when you are sick.
Pros
certain benefits
Cons
slow moving up
Limited advancement and high turnover
Grooming Salon Leader (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 27, 2017
While the people I work for and with are friendly and typically up beat, my line of work as a dog groomer is very risky and requires a high level of skill and understanding of how dogs think and react. Higher management seems to care more about how much money you can make than they do the dogs' and groomers' well being. The store level management, however, is amazing!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.