Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,604 reviews matching the search
Enjoyable with animals
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Clifton Heights, PAAugust 20, 2016
Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants to needs.
Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
Clean shelves, counters, and tables.
Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
Open and close cash registers, performing tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits.
Issue receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customers.
Answer customers’ questions, and provide information on procedures or policies.
Pros
work with animals
Cons
Hours
not busy enough.
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJAugust 19, 2016
i need a job where i am busy and can show my skills. I cannot survive on pay scale. Its not a bad place to work. Not sure why they are not busy. They go thru alot of groomers, I assume its because boss at this location no one likes. i get along with everyone, its part of my skills having my own business.
Cons
not busy enough
There was no career advancement
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2016
*A typical day would be making sure animals were taken care of first, customers taken care of second, stocking, receiving/unloading shipments, opening/closing the store, managing a team of employees.

*What I learned overall was to never settle and always seek for better out of life.

*Management overall was a great experience. There could have been more communication.

*Some Co-Workers were a bit lazy but overall great employees.

*There were never really any hard parts.

* The most enjoyable part was being able to assist customers.
Could have been better.
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 17, 2016
Management at the time of employment was very immature, fellow employees were very unreliable and alot favortism. Towards end of employment work schedule began to conflict with college classes so had to quit in the end.
Cons
Lunch breaks to short
Productive and fun
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 17, 2016
You greet pet parents and assist them with their needs,watch over their loved pets and take care of them as well as bathe and groom them. Really great starting place to work. Would go back.
I look forward to work!!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAAugust 16, 2016
My manager has created an environment that is fun and productive. We are the busiest store in our district and we still manage to take care of our customers and have a bit of fun too. That's not to say every day is rainbows and sprinkles it is busy and hectic and occasionally we get irate customers. But all in all our customers are great.
Pros
Helping pet parents with all of their fur baby needs. Greeting all the dogs that come in, it really makes my day!
Cons
Ten minute breaks are hard to come by.
Great place to work and develop retail skills
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 14, 2016
I have worked for Petco for many years! Petco is and will always be one of the best places I've ever worked at! Petco is all about rewarding hard work and preparing associates for leadership positions!
minimum wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 13, 2016
The pay is minimum wage and you work very hard for very little compensation. They have a rewards program "caught in the act" but the trinkets they send only go to the managers, not the intended employee.
Working 8 hour shifts, you are lucky to get your break within the first 7 hours. Many times you will work all day, be take your 30 minute break, just to clock back in just to go home in 30 minutes.
I received a $.09 cent raise (nine cents!) after 11 months of employment. I was told it would've been $.20 (twenty cents) if I was there a year.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management, pay, lack of care for the animals.
The past managers were great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 12, 2016
I loved the work environment because I love animals. The management was poor and everyone was expected to go above and beyond their job duties. Most times doing managerial things.
Pros
Animals
Petco wasnt too bad
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNAugust 12, 2016
Petco wasnt a bad place to work as long as you like animals, any kind any species. typical day was handling animals, stocking, feeding, cleaning animal cages. learned alot about the animals themselves. management was picky but nice. Co workers seemed to be helpful. Hardest part of the job was getting over the smell of the cages. Most enjoyable part of the day is helping young kids pick out a pet.
Pros
animals, customers
Cons
animals smells, allergies
Fun job
Aquatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  NYAugust 11, 2016
I've learned a lot at Petco. I've learned fish maintenance and advanced animal care. I enjoy working there but the retail aspect is not for me. I would like my job to revolve around animals.
I think I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't for the other people I work with. I feel as though my coworkers are either too involved in their jobs or they don't care enough.
Pay and Benefits suck. Good people.
Groomer (Current Employee) –  VirginaAugust 11, 2016
I've worked at two PetCo stores, and the people are great. Love my managers "(Leaders)" and it's an overall good environment at the stores I've worked at.

The training is redundant and unhelpful. You learn most everything on the job, and then the training tells you differently. It's not real world training.

As of August 2016, the pay is being "restructured" in grooming, making a job I love barely worth it anymore. I know dozens of people that quit IMMEDIATELY. It's hard, daunting work where, sometimes, you have to work thru your breaks, and PetCo should be ASHAMED of themselves for trying to pay sticks and stones. The pay is laughable. The benefits, you could enroll in by yourself if you're a low income individual.

Overall, PetCo is a horrible company with great people.
Pros
Great people. Animals
Cons
Laughable pay and benefits.
Uninviting workplace
Grooming Assistant (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 10, 2016
The grooming salon is overall a terrible environment to work in especially when the people are condescending and flat out rude. I enjoyed working with the dogs but most of the time the dogs are scared or nervous and difficult to work with. The job requires a lot of bending and lifting which isn't too bad, but there is a lot of down time which leaves you with nothing to do. I enjoyed interacting with the customers (some can be rude but that's with every job) and it's nice seeing a customer satisfied with their dog's groom.
Pros
Busy days
Cons
Some people you work with
poor
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAAugust 10, 2016
Petco is hanging on by a single thread. Poor management supplemented by even worse customers, I highly recommend applying to other companies before you consider joining the petco team.
A difficult job that has positive benefits
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  someplaceAugust 9, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is leading a diverse team of partners in different areas of the store.

The hardest part of the job is getting all of the information and training needed to successfully run a pet store as an outside hire.
Pros
Work independently, pet community environment, learn a lot of information.
Cons
too much paperwork/redundant tasks and some inefficient processes, lack of upper management support
Productive workplace, but needs new management.
Merchandising and Inventory specialist, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93726August 8, 2016
Overall decent work environment. Co workers are a little rude at times and management plays favoritism sometimes. Also management will scold you in front of customers and they tend to get irritated if you ask them too many questions.
Pros
Good hours, and was promoted fairly quickly
Cons
Management plays favoritism and not really a good environment.
Stressful
Companion Animal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Utah and TexasAugust 5, 2016
Petco is not a company I would personally recommend to anyone. I learned that anyone who is genuinely concerned about the welfare of animals will not be happy at Petco. I have worked at five Petcos.
Bad company to work for
Pt stylist (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 4, 2016
They want you to take as many appointments as possible no matter if your stressed or not. Even if the quality of the grooms are effected. They are as of august 14 2016. Pushing out all part time associates from grooming and cutting every employees pay by 6000-3000$ annually.
Pros
Cons
pay, management, corporate polices are punitive.
Big Corporate Dreams...Good Luck.
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 4, 2016
This company is in desperate need of quality groomers, but can't seem to keep them. I'm fortunate to have been part of a quality Petco salon with other experienced groomers, but things are changing. The company will train you to groom, but I find some trainers questionable, passing students that clearly are not ready yet or will never be. They will even put new groomers just out of training into salon management positions. Petco wants to be able to provide a consistent outstanding customer experience with quality grooms and great relationship building, but they don't do anything to ensure each salon is doing that properly. They want to reduce their 60% pet stylist turnover, but somehow manage to do all they can to drive away quality groomers. Pay plan has been changed, policies change every 6-12mos resulting in decreased business, management doesn't always know how things are supposed to run in the salon, and upper management is no better. Big shock, corporation only cares about money. I've stayed this long for my clients, but even they know I can do better. It's a secure job because they need groomers, but the only way to advance is to become a salon manager. Been there done that, stepped down after the pay change because I was getting paid less for even more work. If you are serious about making pet grooming a career this might be a good place to start if you get a quality trainer. If you're an experienced groomer don't even bother with this place, you won't be fulfilled.
Pros
I love my clients/dogs
Cons
Greedy, mediocre management, terrible HR
Very wonderful place to work.
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 2, 2016
The environment was clean, management was clean and a pleasure to work with. My coworkers were amazing to work with. I enjoyed working with the Petco staff and wished that I could have a second chance at my job.
Pros
Fun place to work.
Cons
Not enough time to learn new things.