Petco
1,043 reviews

Petco Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Pack Leader (Former Employee), Carson, CAJune 29, 2015
Simply put if you like to work with animals this is the place to be. Alright supervisors but Management is great. A lot to learn and so little time. Dog lovers apply.
Working with animals.
Inventory Department Manager (Former Employee), Harrisville, UTJune 28, 2015
Pros: Being with the animals.
Cons: paperwork.
I was a key carrying manager who was responsible for taking inventory of the whole store several times a week. I supervised several people, customer service, cashiering, manager paperwork, etc. The hardest part of my job was making sure the store was completely stocked at all times. I loves working with the animals and placing them in good homes.
A high volume retail store, often under staffed
Inventory and Pricing Manager (Current Employee), Baytown, TXJune 26, 2015
On a daily basis, I am responsible for actin as MOD, making bank deposit and change runs, responding to customer service calls, and insuring the store is opened or closed per company standards. As IPDM, I am responsible for auditing out of stocks on an assigned day. This requires creating and Inventory Count, walking each aisle of the store, verifying the status of empty product, stocking product we have, and adjusting inventory numbers to reflect actual quantities in stock. I handle label and signage changes. I'm responsible for controlling our RTV process from customer returns to damaged product. I am also responsible for the Weekly Inventory Management Report; which includes weekly requested SKU counts, auditing negative on hands, and live animal counts.
Somewhat pleasant work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLJune 25, 2015
Pros: Being around animals
Cons: Little benefits.
I acquired a lot of experience with pets and customers, as well as learned more about problem-solving, but the worst part of my working career was management. The store was very turbulent as the managers had hard time managing the store. That is #1 reason I decided to quit. Sometimes, the store is running slow, and there is nothing to do but to play with animals, I just got bored of it in the end.
Closing Manager (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CaliforniaJune 24, 2015
Open store release tils face the store meet and greet all customers that walk in and assist them when needed. Clean up mess from animals order new animal or stock when need. Work with other managers to make sure that day to day operations are being completed
Dog Trainer (Current Employee), Bremerton, WAJune 23, 2015
The employees are awesome to work with. We are able to bring our dog to work as long as they are well behaved and I love that. I have learned a lot about training and nutrition and even fish/small animal facts.
Worked
Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee), Highland Village, TXJune 23, 2015
Ensured proper aquatic care and husbandry for all aquatic life in the store, educated customers to make informed decisions about their aquariums, and maintained aquatic systems through routine maintenance.
Petco
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 22, 2015
Pros: You will learn whole lot of skills working for this company
Cons: You must fight for reasonable pay. No work life balance.
Petco is an alright job. The culture my boss and I generated made it an enjoyable place to work! However The new expectations being pushed onto us by corporate has indeed been stressful.

A typical day would be coming in at 7am. Calculate payroll, check sales goal, review several different reports, check emails. By 9 I will assist with animals. If time allows, coach and train employees through role playing, or training of mangers. Afterword, it's all cleaning and stocking along with administrative duties. Action memos, finalizing expense reports, ordering animals, store use supplies etc. My normal shift is usually 7am-5pm.

Petco has taught me how to maintain a high standard. Especially management wise. I learned how to be a true leader and to gain the credibility of my direct reports, along with those even above me. I have matured greatly being with the company for over 5 years.

My coworkers and associates are great. We all work as a team. We have fun while remaining productive.

The hardest part of my job would be one thing in particular. Maintaining the overall cleanliness of the store while staying on top of truck and the stockroom, along with animals and other duties seamlessly. We are expected to scrape tiles from under shelves, spray paint rusted shelves, paint walls, replace or paint AC grills on the ceiling... The list goes on.

The funnest part of my job is training the associates and managers. The love learning something new and then saying; "Heh! That was easy". I do indeed love training. It lightens the load when we all know everything. I want everyone to be just a big a fish as I am. Just don't get out a line though!
Not good management
Sales associate (Former Employee), Naples, FLJune 21, 2015
They did not care about the animals and did not care how the store looked unless higher up was coming into the store. We also weren't given enough hours or people on the floor to help customers. They would generally only have 3 people in the store. It was impossible to work or get help when working on the cash register.
High Paced and constantly evolving.
General Manager (Current Employee), Albany, NYJune 21, 2015
PETCO is an ever evolving company specializing in love of pets. It is one of the few companies left that really develop their Partners.
Overnight freight, aquatic specialist.
Freight Associate (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAJune 20, 2015
Pros: good people, decent breaks.
Cons: terrible treatment of all employees including management by corporate.
constantly understaffed, high paced work environment. little recognition, decent breaks, and great work culture. the people are the reason to stay, corporate office is the reason to leave. little to no opportunity for advancement. I have worked there almost 2 years with all possible accolades, advanced training, and very hard work. and still can't get 40 hrs a week or can apply for benefits. no one in my position has been able to do so since I have been there.
Great Place to work
General Manger (Current Employee), CT BorderJune 20, 2015
Pros: fun atmosphere
Petco is a great place to work with lots of opportunities to advance in the store setting. Typical day includes taking care of customers and interacting with people and their pets.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Saint Joseph, MOJune 20, 2015
Cons: Part time, Minimum Wage
Was very fun working with the animals daily, getting to interact with different groups of exotic breeds. Minimum wage,perfect job opportunity for a student.
Fun place to work
Part-Time Customer Advisor (Current Employee), Tustin, CAJune 19, 2015
Pros: Works with school schedule, great work environment.
Cons: Low work hours
A typical day starts by opening the store, I organize and get everything ready to feed the animals. After feeding the animals and making sure their water is filled and all animals are healthy we open the store. I start my cashier shift and find things to do such as facing the nearby shelves, checking stock, and pricing the clearance section since I do not like staying still. I always greet customers as they enter the store, I like to connect with them by asking whom they are shopping for. Many customers enjoy telling me about their pets and ask me for advice on products. My favorite is transitioning customers to a natural healthy food. Petco has great products and services and I am one of the few associates who can sell dog training. My team is great they teach me and help me out greatly. The hardest part of the job is just the lack of hours, I would like a solid 20-30 hours a week. The most enjoyable part of the job is everything but my favorite is organizing the store at night, I love going home knowing I made the store a better place.
fun place to work with animals
Cashier & Small Animals Associate (Former Employee), sunnyvale caJune 18, 2015
Pros: animals
Cons: management
everyday showing up to work was a joy to be able to work with animals who I love just as much as people. I worked at the Sunnyvale location which at the time that location was going through internal changes with management which made the store crazy and unbalanced at times but it was still a great place to work.
Fast paced work environment that specializes in petcare
Dog and Cat Department Manager (Current Employee), 10017 Biddick LaneJune 18, 2015
A typical day is engaging customers and help them find the items they need. Everyday I do inventory in my department and keep up with sales in pet services such as dog training and grooming. I manage a total staff of twelve employees. The hardest part is making sales goals during certain times of the year. The most enjoyable part is helping people even if they don't purchase items at my store.
If all your care about it animals
Inventory & Pricing Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 17, 2015
The company is a bean counting operation (I believe the CEO background is as an accountant) with as little investment as possible in the people who work there or at least for those in the stores. I lost the little amount of respect I had for the company when I saw a district manager force cutting hours for hourly employees (some on public assistance) in order that he could have a chance in winning a large screen TV (by cutting expenses he was able to move up the rankings) and as well as when there is no parental leave unless you are an executive- so for the most needy employees, they ignore but for those most able to take time off unpaid, they provide a generous allotment. As with most retail, pay is low and they keep it low even if you move up with promotions. In fact, I turned down promotions because the pay increase vs the hours expected to put in would mean I would take a pay cut. The only way you can survive here is if you really are crazy for animals and have no ambition in life to succeed or you are there just long enough to move on to better things. However, with very little effort or ability, you can move up quickly as more of a default void than anything else.
Great for a first job
Sales (Former Employee), Van nuys CaJune 17, 2015
its a great place to work when you're right out of high school. You get to learn a lot of new things and great people. They also work around your schedule when you're going to school or have a second job.
Might be a great place to work, if they knew how to train people!
Inventory and Pricing Manager (Former Employee), ArizonaJune 16, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: lack of training
After being interviewed for one management position, two weeks later I was hired in as an Inventory and Pricing Dept. Manager. The person who was responsible to train me had never trained anyone before. She was horrible at explaining any aspect of the job, and seemed to be bothered if I had any questions after she ran through something. What was NOT explained at the interview is that there are only 3 employees in the store, at most, at any given time. The manager on duty is responsible to run around from department to department while trying to perform managerial duties. After 4 nights of being trained on closing shift, I was on my own to deal with everything and everyone within the store. Overwhelming is an understatement! Unless you are ready to run your a** off, don't bother applying for a dept. Manager position with this company.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Jasper, ALJune 16, 2015
Pros: Randomness and entertainment
Cons: Short breaks, if any. you're on your own...... A LOT, and by on your own I mean you have to leave the store to find your Co-workers sometimes.
These guys and gal's are a hoot :) I love all of them and they have become a family to me and each other. You'll learn a ton about all the animals here, even if you're not directly involved with them. The hardest part about the job by far if you're an animal lover is dealing with the pet parents who haven't and don't care to properly take care of their fur or scale babies.

About Petco

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more

Petco Salaries