Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,129 reviews matching the search
Corporate needs to get it together
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 30, 2017
Horrible pay plan, no lunch breaks, constantly have to answer the phone so it's hard to get anything done. The list goes on. Not to mention not being able to use your own products or bandannas.
Pros
Plenty of clients
Cons
No lunch breaks, no receptionist, corporate issues, staff issues, management issues, etc
Great Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 30, 2017
It was a fun place to work! I worked hard and helped customers, i did a lot of things on my day to day... I would go back any day to work for them!! I would rate this company a 5!!
Nightmare for dogs and employee
Dog groomer (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAMay 30, 2017
One of THE worst experiences in my life. Forced to watch corporate Kool-aid videos for several days. Then nobody practices all that preaching, which would be ok if not so chaotic. The worst though, was the passive aggressive nastiness, and then outright abusive behavior from coworkers to new employees, and WORSE still to the dogs some were grooming. I would never take my dog nor myself here.
Pros
Work with dogs
Cons
Abusive, incoherent schedule and policies, corporate Kool-aid training.
Great place to work if you love animals
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MAMay 30, 2017
The staff and managers really do care about the health and well being of all animals. Friendly environment and never a dull moment.
Hardest part was they are a small store so we ran out of product at the end of some shifts.
Pros
Discount on items in store
Cons
Everyone thinks they know more about dog training then your dog trainer
Low paying job depends on GM
Guest Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 30, 2017
This can be an okay company to work for but it depends heavily on your boss. Stores run very differently depending on who is in charge. Don't expect any big raises here.
Educational and rewarding
Companion Animal Leader (Current Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLMay 29, 2017
A typical day revolves around me checking on the animals, making sure they are healthy and their habitats are set up correctly. I will give medications to any animals receiving some. I open the store and work on maintenance for habitats, check inventory, and assist guest. I also go about ordering and receiving animals, doing incident reports and checking supplies. I've learned many things working at Petco and working with all the different animals. I've learned how to properly care for a large variety of animals. I have learned a lot about presentation and educating guests on how to take care of their new pets. Management requires a lot of team work and communication. We work together very well to make sure all of the animals, employees, and guests are taken care of. The hardest part of the job is working with the general public. Educating them and getting past common misconceptions can be a daunting task. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting an animals its perfect forever home and hearing or seeing how well they are doing when their owner returns to the store.
Pros
Working with the different animals
Cons
Getting bit by the different animals
Working at Petco
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Norman, OK 73069May 29, 2017
When I get to work I start out taking care of the animals in the store, and once that was done and we opened for the day I was mostly the cashier. When I wasn't on the cashier I would be helping out customer find what they were looking for in the store. Once the store closed I would start facing the items until it was time to go.
Management wasn't that great, when it came to closing most days when almost never had a manger in store.
There wasn't really anything too hard in the store.
What I enjoyed the most working at Petco was taking care of the animals.
Pros
working with pet lovers
Cons
short breaks
Petco
Groomers Assistant/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CAMay 28, 2017
Petco is a fun company to work for. Most of my coworkers had been there for many years. It's a great work environment and the team became like family to me.
Fun place to work because of ll the animals.
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNMay 28, 2017
I love it here but I'm not getting full time hours as a full time employee. And there is no way for me to move up. They have wonderful benefits and environment.
Part Time position
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 25, 2017
Busy weekends, sometimes have to bounce around different departments to help customers. Sometimes had to check with the other store in town for products. Separate rescue groups would host adoptions one weekend day for a few hours.
High stress with pay and benefits not matching
Merchandise Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2017
I love the fasted pace work environment, however, the pay and benefits don't match the amount of work required in my position. There have been no raises and there is very little opportunity to grow.
OK start up job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 24, 2017
Petco is a good start up job but not for a career. The work is Relatively easy. I was sales associate and it was the Petco in Tallahassee Fl. I would not go back again.
Great for Students
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 24, 2017
Great job for transitioning between school work and school. Must truly love pet's to work in customer service.
Can be stressful during peak hours, especially when coworker call out sick. If you are able deal with customer service oriented line of work, I believe you have the ability to work anywhere else.
Pros
Health Benefits, Discounts, 401K, Paid time off and sick leave. Lucky if you have awesome coworkers.
Cons
Stressful during peak hours.
Relaxed Place to work as long as you manage your time
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 23, 2017
Although overall it's a nice place to work getting a reasonable amount of hours is kind of a PITA and this usual requires that you work at multiple locations. The managers I've had are mostly laid back as long as you get your daily assigned tasks done on time and well.
Pros
Laid, Back, 20% discount on all store items (40% on some)
Cons
Not many hours available to store employees
At times a good place to work, depends on the staff you are working with.
Grooming Salon Manager/Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WIMay 23, 2017
Petco was a good job, I have learned a lot about grooming and have really enjoyed working with the dogs and customers.

The only thing I don't like is the pressure to "make" budget, do obvious sales, even when customers aren't interested.

The direct management was very nice and helpful, when asked. They are also over worked.
Pros
Grooming training, dogs, customers
Cons
pushed sales, too many "extra" jobs/tasks
It's ok
Sales Associate/Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 22, 2017
It's an okay place to be. In a store level, it depends on management in that store on how you're treated. Other than that, you're just another number and don't matter, much like with major cooperations I suppose.
dog training and grooming was pretty good
Dog trainier (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 22, 2017
Liked working with the animals and teaching dog training classes. Enjoyed puppy playtime and meeting new customers daily. The products are good and prices are competitive with similar stores
Don't treat employees well
Manager (Former Employee) –  OHMay 22, 2017
Get treated poorly 24/7 and threatened all the time over things that are out of your control. Company is focusing on the wrong things and they don't care what your opinion is
Pros
interaction with animals
Cons
everything else
Poor work/life balance, good coworkers
Key Holding Manager/Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAMay 22, 2017
I worked at an understaffed store and would work sometimes 10 days in a row, this allowed for zero work/life balance. Great place to work with animals and enjoyable coworkers.
Pros
Work with animals, good coworkers
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Fun place to work
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 22, 2017
Have fun while being the best. Friendly people and if you love pets a wonderful place to work. Working in the warehouse you learn so much about pets and you can also learn how to groom if you like
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, no room for promotion

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.