Petco Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,567 reviews matching the search
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 21, 2016
Working at Petco is a fun and interesting place to work. I get to play with animals for a good part of my day and meet interesting people everyday.
Pros
Good work enviroment, Great people to work with
Cons
Not always recognized for my work
Great customers. Too much standing. Not enough sales help.
Sales Associate and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 21, 2016
Very intense customer interaction. Customers need lots of help choosing items and have lots of questions. I love helping people and animals, so I loved this part of the job. Boss was great. Co-workers were awesome.

Unfortunately, Petco as a company will not put extra help on the floor. Customers complain that there is not enough assistance and that they wait too long.

Also you only get a half hour break. The rest of the time you are standing or walking. Everyone complained about leg pain.

Finally there is no holiday pay. Managers only make $13 per hour.
Our store was great but then we got new management and ruined everything
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYJune 20, 2016
It was great for the first two months but then something happened to my gm and we ended getting the management.The GM is super rude to customers who are rude my old manager would take customers yelling and being difficult and still provide great customer service rarely would any customer leave dissatisfied.
Pros
20% off purchase
Cons
everything
Fun work enviornment
Demo Specialist (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJune 20, 2016
A lot to learn but customers are always surprised as to what you learn. Is always room for advancement. Petco is constantly changing, so be sure to be adjustable and on your feet.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Need to people on the floor at a time.
Where you work if you love pets!
Wellness Market Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 20, 2016
Petco is a great place to work if you love pets. Most of the people that work for the company are passionate about animals. I have worked in the stores and at the corporate offices.
The retail stores, I feel that most people working are extremely intelligent about the products and services and pride themselves in that knowledge.
The corporate offices have a lot of departments that although do a good job, they can take time to get projects done. You do get to bring your pets to work and although projects can take some time, you have pets to play with, even though there really isn't down time.
The thing about Petco that has always bugged me is the job titles. The titles never match up to the real world position names, some can be a bit cryptic and as soon as you know what the job does, it changes.
Pros
Bring pets to work (Corporate), Passionate, fun co-workers
Cons
Cryptic job titles
Underpaid and underappreciated
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA 95051June 20, 2016
A day at work can range from hectic nonstop to boring all day. Every store is ran differently so you never know what to expect. The management tends to be terrible and lacks leadership. People are not paid what they are worth. The only benefit is working with animals. I wouldn't expect much other positives.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Underpaid. Bad management.
Fun
CSR (Former Employee) –  Sun City, CAJune 19, 2016
I loved the job overall and all my co-workers and managers. The only issue I had was I lost my job because Corporate would not accept my Emergency Room doctors note.
day at work
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 18, 2016
i love working with animals i have a few myself i love to be around them eveyday i like to see how they move play ect i just love pets
Pros
the pets
Cons
the people where rude
high energy company. Always promoting the welfare of animals come first. Providing great benefits to parnters, full time and part time
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 18, 2016
My days varied from day to day. Either opening or closing duties to include animal care issues as well as partner scheduling in various areas and duties. I have learned about the care of various animals and promote responsible pet ownership by promoting an Adoption First attitude. I would ensure Petco programs and policies were adhered to and address issues with the general manager. Development of Petco partners was a focus daily and ensure they had the tools needed to complete their assigned tasks. The management was supportive in achieving goals. My co-workers were loyal to Petco and it was a team effort in exceeding company goals in several categories. The most difficult part of the job was the cut in payroll models month after month.and the tasks still needing to be completed in a timely manner. My most enjoyable part of my job was helping people connect with pets and knowing that was the right animal for them. I also enjoyed coaching and working with our groomers. Helping them to do the best possible job for the pet by reducing the stress, having a fun environment to work in. Also by addressing their concerns right away instead of putting it off to another time. Safety was my priority in that store. I enjoyed maintaining a clean environment through OSE standards
Petco is changing for the worse
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 16, 2016
After nearly 10 years of working for Petco I was let go because of restructuring. They have let so many people go in the past few months from the top of corporate to the store level that no one is safe. I don't feel like they are going in a good direction for the company, or the employees.
Being a Dog Trainer has its perks
Dog Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WAJune 16, 2016
Overall fun place to work. My co-workers are nice people. The best part about the job is the work I do in my classroom. Teaching people how to train their dogs has been an invaluable experience. The customers and the dogs are always different. My managers have been great with letting me make my own schedule and teach my classes when I want to. Outside of the classroom, things are not so fun. Managers can't seem to see eye-to-eye. This creates inconsistency on the sales floor. Some sales associates are very well trained to do their jobs, some are not well trained at all. The issue there is that I end up having to pick up the slack. Being a Dog Training Instructor, I have my own list of things I need to do in a day, including selling classes, printing out homework sheets, scheduling my classes, calling customers, and researching answers to questions customers bring up in class. It never seems there is enough time to get everything done in a day.
Pros
45 min lunches and 2 ten minute breaks
Cons
Understaffed and shelves are understocked too often
A great place to work with animals
Intern (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAJune 15, 2016
This was my first job/internship. It gave me values, respect, and honor working here. I learn to always obey upper management.
Fun-filled job with a lot to teach/learn.
Aquatics Specialist, Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLJune 13, 2016
Working at Petco, you will be provided the materials to learn about dog and cat nutrition and health. Petco provides a fair and safe workplace. Associates that are hired are team players and are motivated. I have worked here for 4 years now and have enjoyed almost every minute of it.
Pros
Work with animals
Cons
Low pay for associates
prodcutive and fun
Dog trainer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2016
Was a good place to work out I learned many things on what to give certain aimals, what not to give, expanding my knowledge on all types of animals, learned social cues for diffrent animals and their behavor, learned how to be better with customer service, most emjoyable part was to be able to work and train animals. Great coworkers nice cast of people to work with including the manager
Pros
money off items, learn new things, trai dogs
Cons
short breaks, long days, excessive cleaning
I enjoyed my work there but the management was lacking in leadership skills.
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 8, 2016
A typical day was pretty busy with grooms & customer service. I learned a lot about the way people care for their pets. The management needed a lot of improvement. They were very immature & not good leaders. They have a high rate of turn over so my co-workers were never around long. The hardest part of the job was making sure you understood exactly what the customer wanted when they didn't know how to explain it. I loved making my customers smile.
Pros
insurance
Cons
Not a very well ran store.
Relaxed and fun place to work
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2016
My time at Petco was very fun and challenging. You get to play with pets all day while meeting tons of new people and sometimes famous one too! I would love to be apart of Petcos' team again and further my career as a Professional Pet Stylist
Fun atmosphere
Sales Associate & Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAJune 6, 2016
I loved working here! the people were fun and working with the animals was a really good experience. It was honestly the best and first retail job I've ever worked.
Great interim between school and a career
Dog and Cat Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJune 6, 2016
Great place to work and I enjoyed the opportunity to explore a different career path, but unfortunately I'm not able to use my degree much in my management position. While I have enjoyed the challenges of increasing customer retention, driving sales of products and services, and training employees I am looking for something more geared towards my degree so I can start a career.
Pros
Great interim, animals, different opportunity
Cons
Don't use degree, not career choice, slow rate of growth in company.
Non appreciated
Dog groomer (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CAJune 5, 2016
No expirenced groomer is going to last here. If you don't work 40 hours you get only the hourly rate. They changed the pay a little over a year ago. Definitely not worth it, groomers know how hard the job is, and what they are worth..this is good for someone wanting to learn the basics, with no expirience. Petco has become greedy. Wanting groomers to do quantity over quality..thus, endangering dogs, because no groomer wants to work for min wage.. You have to hit a certain amount, before you even get commission..making it even harder to make it..
Pros
Be with dogs
Cons
Unappreciated
Great Customers
Adoption Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 5, 2016
Have had nothing but issues with upper management, The store manager turnover rate is Ridiculous, In 2 years i have seen 5 store managers come and go

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.