PETCO

PETCO Employer Reviews

Not bad
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), floridaJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: work with animals, peers, dm
Cons: bonus has been cut and very little opportunity for advancement.
The company direction has changed. They are very reactive to changes instead of being proactive. Also, very limited hours per store. Overall, not a bad place to work and I only worked 40-45 hours per week.
I have a passion for animals and so does everyone that is employed here!
Cashier (Former Employee), Heath, OHDecember 31, 2014
Great! :D It was nice being a ble to meet so many new people on a daily basis!
First experince
Customer Service (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CADecember 27, 2014
Pros: laughing and smiling everyday helping people that comes and go
Cons: working with reptiles, allergies, and spiders
The type of day at work is fun sometimes stressful, but once I got comfortable working I know what type of job I need to do so the retail store will be nice and clean for customer to speak good about. I learned that being patient and understanding that can help others feel better and calm down when they are very mad at a co worker, which I help with the situation at the time even know it was not my place, but I still step in to help. The hardest part was was none, but just my sinus getting to me when I was cleaning the dusk and dirt. The most enjoyable part of the job was looking at all the wonderful pets jumping and sometimes smiling.
Each store has its charm
manager (Current Employee), Southington ctDecember 27, 2014
Pros: flexible schedual
Cons: under paid
Under staffed, under paid, limited hours given to the store to be able to perform everything a corporation ask for on a daily base. Co- workers and management team are great to work with.
Worst managment ever!
GROOMING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZDecember 20, 2014
Pros: employee discount, regular clients
Cons: managment, high school like workplace, benefits
I worked for two stores while i was working for Petco and I can honestly say the job was awesome but the management, the Petco politics are the worst I have ever seen. If you try to ask for a managers help they will just pick at your flaws instead of giving you a solution to your problem at hand. Unreasonable, unreliable, hypocritical, very immature, the worst management I've ever worked with. I would never work for this company ever again.
Interesting work place
o Animal maintenance, Cashier (Former Employee), Lakewood, CADecember 18, 2014
Typical day for work is usually messy and having to clean up and care for many animals. Ive learned many new things on how to maintain and keep birds, reptiles, and aquatic pets well taken care of. Management was nice. Co-workers were helpful and didnt mind teaching me things. Hardest part of the job was doing deep cleaning days and dealing with customers and still complete everything in my shift. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and teaching customers what I know about certain animals. Also being able to hold and "tame" some birds and other creatures.
Steady paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Ogden, UTDecember 16, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: one manager in particular that had a bad attitude!
I learned a lot from working at Petco! I learned about feeding habits about all the animals and how to take care of them when they are sick! The hardest part of the day had to be trying to answer customer questions when there is not a better educated employee around to assist that customer.
vancouver wa location hazeldell
Customer Advisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, WADecember 16, 2014
Pros: working with animals
Cons: bad management
change in management unfortunately effected the positive work life this place once had. Every store is different depending on the manager. when we had our old manager that was nice and cared about their employees. it was fun to come to work and enjoyable.

with the new management many people have quit and its just not the same as it use to be.
Great Ideas, Bad Execution
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), LouisianaDecember 15, 2014
Pros: great customer interactions, awesome team of passionate people
Cons: overworked with no end in sight
My job as the Assistant Store Manager was a great job when I started. I handled all of the operations tasks of the business. I also did the hiring, training and coaching. I ensured that all new policies and merchandising information was communicated to my team and ensured execution. I am very passionate about animal husbandry. So, I also enjoyed the customer interactions as well.

Then came the budget cuts. Over the course of a year. We went from having a decent payroll budget and store use supply budget to having to scrape to get by. My role went from the ASM position to ASM, cashier, stocker, animal habitat cleaner, and custodian. As one of two salaried positions at the location, I went from working a standard 40 hours a week to working between 55 and 60 hours a week. There was not a good work/life balance at all.

The company had great ideas to try and get back on track, but was not very good at executing those ideas and programs.
Petco is a horrible company to work for
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Hillsboro, ORDecember 14, 2014
Pros: you get to interact with numerous types of pets, and meeting all the pet parents who love talking about their babies
Cons: animal neglect, poor management, employee neglect.
Not a good place to work, poor management, along with animal and employee neglect.
Great place if you love animals!
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), Hickory, NCDecember 13, 2014
Pros: getting to play with animals of all kinds
Cons: having to deal with the death of some animals
Was a fun and exciting environment that changed on a hourly basis. There were always animals running around and playing with associates, customers and other animals. It was a great place to work and there was always something to do. Petco strived to make sure that all the animals in the store were properly taken care of and took great pride in their love for animals of all kinds. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with the death of animals, whether it was the death of an animal that we were trying to nurse back to health so if could find a forever home or if it was consoling a customer who has lost their pet. So it is not the place for those who are too tender-hearted to be able to deal with death on a frequent basis.
I loved working at Petco.
Clerk (Temp Work Program-school (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CADecember 9, 2014
When I worked at Petco, I would organize shelves, sort through the stock room, clean up the isles, and help out customers that needed help looking for something.
Lots to work on
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 9, 2014
Pros: amazing work/life balance
Cons: no financial aspiration from corporate mindset.
Not a horrible company but there are a ton of opportunities to succeed here if the mindset of higher ups to this privately owned company were to open up slightly and try new things. Overall, they care significantly about the employee (line-level) and customer experience, although financials and profit margins take a back seat, which make the field managers jobs difficult in managing store operations including but not limited to labor management and staffing guidelines.
Fun Job, stressful workload
Lead Canine Instructor (Former Employee), Prescott, AZDecember 8, 2014
Pros: great working with the animals!
Cons: corporate, and little to no benefits.
The staff I worked with was great and kept every day entertaining. Working with the customers was almost always a positive experience! If you are going to work in retail this is the best way to do it! Its much funner stocking squeaky toys than clothes any day!
The down falls are that the corporate doesn't care about their employees and the incentives are less than desirable. The benefits are unavailable to anyone who works less than 40 hours which is just about everyone except for GM. There is very little room for growth opportunities within the company.
Typical Day
Dog Trainer (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 8, 2014
I loved dog training and I still love it to this day. I actually looked forward to going into work everyday because I knew I was going to be doing what I loved. But eventually it got to a point where my mangers werent allowing me to do my job as a dog trainer and wanted me to do someone elses job at the cash register. That was the worst part of working there not being able to do my job because I had to do someone elses.
educational
Preperration and assisting groomer in animals (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLDecember 6, 2014
i Learned how to be a leader not a manager i learned that with hard work i could be anything i wanted to be but i most importantly i learned that team work is a must and no matter how hard you work you must think about everyone involved i had a wonderful chance to learn peoples wants and needs and to make a cake for a special day and see their happiness is what lead me to want to be where i am today
Terrible Management
Senior Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Annandale, NJDecember 6, 2014
Good place to start employment. Groom salon can be lucrative if you work hard. Educating clients on animals can be rewarding.
The animals were wonderful
Aquatic and Reptile Specialist (Former Employee), Whitehall Township, PADecember 5, 2014
Pros: animals
Cons: ...
Work was very busy and fun the customers were wonderful. Managers were not professional at all.
Loved the staff and customers.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Seaford, DEDecember 5, 2014
Pros: got discount on items.
Cons: couldn't get enough hrs. per wk. to survive.
Fun place to work. Like all the animals.The customers were friendly and were treated the way I wanted to be treated.
awesome place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lighthouse Point, FLDecember 4, 2014
Pros: awesome people and nice to work with animals
Cons: no benefits/ low wages
I love working here and my co workers are great if it weren't for the low wage I would probably stay here.

About PETCO

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more