Petco

Petco United States Employee Reviews

Loved the job but TURN OVER
Customer Advisor (Former Employee), Cumming, GAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: part time health insurance
Cons: turnover & no promised hours
We went through around 4 general managers and 3 assistant managers and 3 salon managers in under 2 years. It was terrible. I was being trained to be a shift manager but every turn over I had to start over
Smyrna store is a uncomfortable place to work
Customer Advisor/Inventory Pricing Manager (Current Employee), GAMarch 4, 2015
Cons: vindictive management
Too much micromanagement by the General Manager and Assistant Store Manager. Prevents employees from growth in their positions.
Productive and a fun place where the pets are welcome along with their human companions.
Cashier (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMarch 3, 2015
A typical day at work for me at Petco will me going in making sure every area was up to the customer's expertise. I learned how to work with so many different species of animals. The hardest part of my job was knowing that I couldn't have all the rescues animals come there and I couldn't take them home. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the dogs that came in with there owners and me being able to give them a treat. It makes their human companion happy too.
An enjoyable career for those that love animals
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Vienna, VAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: benefits, on the job training, clientele list provided
Cons: lots of corporate red tape, coupons and sales promotions cut into commissions
Overall, I have enjoyed working at Petco grooming salon for the past three years. I have worked in two salons in two different parts of the country and found that my availability was usually respected. I was always given time off for vacation or PTO when requested in a timely manner.

I started as a bather in the salon and was trained to become a groomer within 6 months. The main reason I chose the job was because Petco provides on the job training for grooming and provides all the supplies needed to do the job.

Working in a well-functioning salon is key to job satisfaction. If stylists are squabbling, and management doesn't take action immediately, then the sales and reputation will suffer. These types of issues are common, but will vary by each salon.

The biggest issue I have is the endless onslaught of paperwork that corporate expects stylists and groomers to fill out each day on top of meeting sales expectations. Corporate has new rules for grooming each quarter, but often these rules are not made by someone that has worked in grooming. I have found many of the restrictions and rules to make my job more difficult and even more difficult to book new clients. Such as, a new rule to no longer accepting dogs that require a muzzle for any service. This would exclude two thirds of the dogs I groomed today. Thus driving down my ability to make money. No one is required to accept any animal they are not comfortable working with as it is, but some of us are not concerned about a nippy dog during a nail trim. I feel that rules like this are made by lawyers not groomers and limit – more... my ability to work with and train my clients.

Another down side is when the corporation runs sales on baths without notifying salon staff ahead of the promotion. This literally reduces bathers income for the entire time of the promotion, with no way to opt out. Also, coupons are taken out of your commission. This seems unfair since the groomer did not provide the coupon and does not get to decide how much money will be reduced from the service.

Benefits are provided and can be a great reason to work here for those in need of insurance. – less
1st job
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Lakewood, CAMarch 2, 2015
I was able to get this job through my schooling. I wasn't there for a long time due to limited internship. It was 4 hour shifts, I was stocking merchandise, maintaining store appearance, and giving customer service.
Excellent place to work
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee), Port Charlotte, FLMarch 2, 2015
Great, fun place to work with pets and pet parents. Management skills have grown tremendously since working at Petco-Port Charlotte. Great management team.
Favorite Place to Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Plover, WIMarch 2, 2015
Pros: good hours, pay, environment, coworkers
Cons: sometimes intense labor involved
Petco is the best place I ever worked. I loved everyone who worked there and the management team was great! I loved working with all the animals, big or small. I would go back there in a heartbeat.
neat, clean, organized place to work at.
manager (Current Employee), Encinitas, CAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: i love working with animals, theres nothing better than seeing a happy dog filled with so much excitment
Cons: it could pay a little bit better
I start my day by checking on all the animals to make sure none are sick or injured. Customer service is key to our success in order to keep our customers coming back so I make sure that everyone is doing ok and finds everything they need. After I would begin to work the wear house in the back. Stocking the shelves, filling and organizing the product. At the end of the day I count down all the registers and make a drop.
very nice place to work
Student Worker through Workability Program (Former Employee), Victorville, CAMarch 1, 2015
It was one of the best places i worked at.They still even greet me like family even though i don't work there anymore. Could have more people working in grooming and training.
very fun with a lot of animal friendly experience
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Burke, VAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: you get a discount on what you buy in the store, you get to be around animals all the time.
Cons: short breaks, not the best hours
i love the people i work with. the managers could use a little work though. being round the animals though is a lot of fun. i love talking to the customers and helping them out. it feels nice to make a pet parent very happy and satisfied.
To obtain a position with a striving company with growth potential.
Store Manager (Former Employee), New YorkFebruary 25, 2015
This company strives to make every customer feel unique, if not unique, at the very least welcomed. Every customer is to have the "Starbucks Experience", which is to be greeted, spoken with, educate, learn about them as a customer and make their stop with us an event. Hard to imagine doing this when there are 40 customers in the store at a time some days, but it made it all the more fun and interesting. The company showed it's gratitude through its benefit system towards their employees. Their care towards us never made us feel like we were just working a job, but a career.
If the job itself was ever difficult it would have only been during the times where a machine breaks down unexpectedly in the middle of a rush. The system for work flow was very fine tuned in the stores. Would I work for this company again, yes. The days where a simple conversation and a cup of coffee turns another persons' day around is a good day.
Good place to work, depending on the people
Store Manager (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits and salary was pretty good
Cons: regional management
Great place for animal lovers that are quick learners and thorough with execution of direction. Customers are generally friendly, products are a good quality although overpriced.
The staff I worked with for the most part were like a family in most cases.
The most difficult part of the job is completing the tasks given to the store with the amount of payroll allotted. If you are willing to put in 55+ hours a week on a fairly regular basis, this may be a good job for you. If you aren't, I'd look elsewhere.
Best part about the job was the people that I worked with, and the friendly customers that would bring in their pets.
Unprofessional
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2015
Would not work at this location again. Very unprofessional and lack of customer service. Petco is a great company overall but they need to reconsider the management team that gets hired.
Great People, Mediocre Work Environment
Marketing (Current Employee), San DiegoFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: you can bring pets to work
Cons: very little perks, old office
I have worked at Petco for a number of years and have had many great experiences and have built a solid foundation to build my career on. But overall their is little room for advancement and you may have to look elsewhere to advance your career.
Good place to work.
Aquatics Specialist (Current Employee), Longmont, COFebruary 20, 2015
The tasks varied from day to day.

I learned a lot about customer service and efficiency.

Management was good, the co-workers were nice.

Customer service was the hardest part, but the work was fairly simple.
productive
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), las vegas, nvFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: animal adoptions
Cons: no advancement opportunities
Make sure payroll was submitted, and all animal habitats were clean. Running a register when lines got long,restocking the shelves
Do Not Recommend
GM (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: helping pet parents with their questions, discount, benefits
Cons: no room for advancement, company is money driven with no exceptions
Company used to be all about animals always come first. Now it's all about making more money for corporates pockets (but let's give the associates a 15 cent raise for a successful yearly review) you have to sell 3 minimum dog training classes a week or else (at $120 a class) not easy! I never saw anyone from corporate sell one but they say it's so easy. Waaaay too many projects, conference calls and no extra payroll given to help complete these tasks. Everything that is given to store is so easy to compete on paper but no help or direction when it comes time to introduce it into the stores. Short staffed with no help from other stores. Corporate having favorite stores and sharing recent visits from your store with their favorites. Too many new faces brought in from other company's (no animal background) rather than offering it to well deserved seasoned GM's. Staff in my
store was great to work with, everything
ran great until we received a walk from corporate taking up all the time in your day and keeping you from completing anything.
Productive & fun workplace
Customer Advisor/ Adoption Captain (Current Employee), Willow Grove, PAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: wages/ hourly. not enough to support independancy
-A typical day at work is what you make of it. I enjoy time spent at Petco & in that time I have learned more about animal care, nutrition, teamwork and personal development than I ever would have imagined.
- You learn a lot about animal care & it is important to have an enthusiastic interest in it
- For me Petco is not just a job but so much more & animal care is a lifestyle choice
- The hardest part of the job is dealing with coworkers who may not have an interest or care about animals the way you might. Also customers who are not compliant. Customers believe that they are always right but teaching them about proper animal care techniques is a big part of the job. Be an advocate for the animals
- The most enjoyable part of the job only takes up about 1% of the job, which is playing with the animals. But I also enjoy advising customers on animal care techniques that they listen to & follow instructions enthusiastically.
Petco
Cashier/Small Animal caretaker (Former Employee), Middletown, RIFebruary 15, 2015
I learned how to interact with animals and their owners. I also learned how to handle pets and learn about many different species of animals and fish while working there.
productive easy going
Customer Service Receptionist (Team Lead) (Former Employee), waldorf mdFebruary 15, 2015
typical day at work getting cages prep and cleaned for incoming clients (cats/dogs) and making sure all towels cleaned dried folded and bottle refilled and tubs clean and sanitized.
I've learned how to communicate better with clients to assist their needs properly and professionally.
management was horrible, coworkers was a very strong team pushing threw everyday.
the hardest part of the job was management in grooming salon .
the most enjoyable was being able to connect and help the animals .

About Petco

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more

Petco Salaries