Petco
1,045 reviews

Petco Employee Reviews

Might be a great place to work, if they knew how to train people!
Inventory and Pricing Manager (Former Employee), ArizonaJune 16, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: lack of training
After being interviewed for one management position, two weeks later I was hired in as an Inventory and Pricing Dept. Manager. The person who was responsible to train me had never trained anyone before. She was horrible at explaining any aspect of the job, and seemed to be bothered if I had any questions after she ran through something. What was NOT explained at the interview is that there are only 3 employees in the store, at most, at any given time. The manager on duty is responsible to run around from department to department while trying to perform managerial duties. After 4 nights of being trained on closing shift, I was on my own to deal with everything and everyone within the store. Overwhelming is an understatement! Unless you are ready to run your a** off, don't bother applying for a dept. Manager position with this company.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Jasper, ALJune 16, 2015
Pros: Randomness and entertainment
Cons: Short breaks, if any. you're on your own...... A LOT, and by on your own I mean you have to leave the store to find your Co-workers sometimes.
These guys and gal's are a hoot :) I love all of them and they have become a family to me and each other. You'll learn a ton about all the animals here, even if you're not directly involved with them. The hardest part about the job by far if you're an animal lover is dealing with the pet parents who haven't and don't care to properly take care of their fur or scale babies.
Exciting and fulfilling job with animals and good coworkers
Team Leader (Former Employee), Denver, COJune 15, 2015
Pros: Worked closely with friends
Cons: Employees with a lack of care for the success of the group
Morning shift began with "Open Of Day" duties. Ran sales from the night before, cared for animals and performed daily counts. Counted pets to make sure none have died or taken ill. Counted drawers to make sure correct amount was left in each till. Counted the deposits from the previous day to make sure all money was accounted for. Ran "Start of day" program on the computers to begin the tracking of the day's sales as well as logging employees in and out. Night Shift began with counting of each drawer and logging into the systems as management change. Ran the store until the doors closed. Handled "End Of Day" Duties. Ran sales from the day, cared for animals and made nightly counts. Counted pets to make sure none had died or taken ill. Counted drawers and made sure to leave only 100 dollars for the following day. Counted and made nightly deposit into the safe. Ran end of day program on computer to close the store and log out sales for the day. I learned animal care and facts to best help me place the right animals with people based on their personalities. Learned how best to fill sales for the day and manage money. I enjoyed my direct management, store manager, assistant manager and other shift leaders.. My coworkers were mostly hard working and handled their tasks to completion. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was call ins and no shows as well as firing. It was hard to make best use of a day if employees didn't show up or called in sick, leaving the rest of the staff short handed. I doubt anyone likes to tell an employees they no longer have a job so that was my least favorite part. The most enjoyable part of the job had to be the customers. Many personalities and different preferences showed me how best to serve anyone that would come through the doors. Meeting new people was enjoyable and educating.
Work
Grooming Salon Manager (Current Employee), Boise, IDJune 15, 2015
You work hard. I had an awesome General Manager that helped me build a team with the groom shop. I liked dealing with the customer and the pets to make them happy.
Volunteer
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee), Monroe, LAJune 14, 2015
Pros: dream job
Cons: n/a
A place ill n ever forget. very helpful and nice. my dream job. no pay but i enjoed being there. i learned alot at a young age to where today i still want to become a veterinarian. the manager was super sweet nice and helpful. the most enjoyable part was being able to watch and asst. her in an thing she needed help with.
Training Was Difficult to Schedule/Complete
Dog Trainer (Former Employee), Boise, IDJune 13, 2015
Pros: Got to see lots of dogs
Cons: Lousy management and training
I was promised training as a dog trainer and it took an extremely long time to actually get it started. The main dog trainer had not completed the training. Some of the managers could be extremely rude, unprofessional, and immature at times.I was extremely excited for the opportunities I thought that this job would present and very disappointed in how it turned out.
Depends on your boss
Inventory Pricing Department Manager (Current Employee), PAJune 13, 2015
Pros: Great team that I work with
Cons: Overbearing corporate
I am an hourly manager at a store and my area manager was not the best one out there. The short way of saying the problems, we were under staffed in are management team with her being the only one who could fix it but instead she stood by did nothing and then called the store "week" for under preforming. I don't know how it would be if she did her job however I am on indeed looking for another job.
Good place to learn about animals and work with new people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Lakewood, CAJune 13, 2015
Pros: Breaks when you needed one.
Cons: lack of promotion opportunities.
Working here I learned how to work with all types of people; people that are indecisive, people that are new pet owners and people that come in with just the biggest attitudes possible. The management while I was working there could have been a lot better there was no communication. The hardest part would have had to of been getting promotions, there weren't many promotion opportunities there. I really enjoyed the customers while I worked there. meeting new people was great.
N/A
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Calumet City, ILJune 12, 2015
Management needs a lot of work. Other than that, working with the animals and people was great. You get the chance to educate customers on proper animal techniques as well.
benefits are great
Dog and Cat Manager (Current Employee), Santee, CAJune 11, 2015
Pros: benefit
Cons: teamwork
great benefits, typical 8 hours days,
hard to deal with customers
load are heavy
management to close store every night
accountable for register
Hard work with little reward
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJune 11, 2015
Petco's heart is in the right place but sometimes upper management and corporate has severely unreal expectations for stores. Animal care is consistent and time consuming with no payroll compensation. Store team seems positive and driven but often defeated by never doing enough. Very thorough training program that clearly states expectations, policy and procedure which provides team members the knowledge needed for confident product selling and animal care. Working with all the animals is rewarding and stress relieving. Team communicates well with each other.
Great Job
Dog and Cat Department Manager (Former Employee), Rio Piedras, PRJune 10, 2015
Pros: Grow opportunity.
Cons: Short breaks
I had the opportunity to work at Petco and grow from been a cashier to a Dog and Cat Department manager. There is grow opportunity in this company. Great relationship with co-workers. The company encourage partners to create not just a great costumer service a real interest in pet parents needs. Excellent experience.
Great Place
aquatics specialist (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORJune 9, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere
Cons: commute
Great company friendly people lots to learn good opportunity for moving up and very willing to cross train people. Good pay.
Corporate environment and Pet Grooming do not mesh.
Groomer (Former Employee), Aurora, COJune 7, 2015
Pros: Commission and Benefits
Cons: Corporate Retail environment clashing with a Service industry
The company is a cookie cutter operation all about turning out product... "groomers and the services they provide in the shortest amount of time. They don't properly teach and mentor new groomers and give them time to learn and grow and make mistakes. A new groomer can't be held to the same standards as a groomer with 5 years or more experience..
Fun and never boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Henderson, NVJune 5, 2015
taking care of animals running cash registers unloading trucks with inventory and customer service. made this job very fun and fast paced no day was ever the same and no day was a based day management was very helpful and supportive of the staff. I only left this job because I needed to move back to California to help my sick mother.
Unprofessional management, but great atmosphere.
Receptionist/Salon Assistant (Former Employee), Covington, LAJune 4, 2015
Pros: Long breaks, high-energy, clean establishment.
Cons: Poor management, low compensation, low commission.
- Management was poor and unprofessional.
- Business was fast-paced and clientele was demanding.
- Right up my ally with animal care and reception.
- Learned what is appropriate in the work place as far as social life goes with unprofessional and lude managers.
Very productive and time consuming job.
Cashier & Sales Associate (Former Employee), Port Charlotte, FLJune 3, 2015
Pros: Working with animals, somewhat good pay.
Cons: A lot of injuries, rude co workers and long after hours and labor.
I loved this job mostly because of the animals and being able to interact with them whenever I could. I took care of these animals every morning and watched over them throughout the day. I also took over the cashier, and whenever I had free time I kept the store organized and cleaned.
Ok Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Annandale, VAJune 3, 2015
Pros: working with pet companions
Cons: lots of work for very little pay
I think that Petco is a place for someone that is either 1. a person looking to gain experience in retail or b. a management position.
Not a goodplacetowork
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Fridley, MNJune 3, 2015
Pros: Animals
Cons: Management
Very busy place,the animals were wonderful, but the staff especially management is bad.They do not like to allow anyone time off for vacations or family issues. I do not recommend this job to my worst enemy
Not a positive experience
Companion Animal Manager/Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 3, 2015
Pros: scheduling flexibility
Cons: extremely poor training.
If you are experienced in animal care. And have a passion for animals. This is not a position for you.. Although they claim that animals come first, their focus is more on the sale and merchandising than proper animal care. Staff is not trained appropriately to assist customers with problems that may arise in the care of their animals. There is more of a focus on dogs and cats than anything else in the store. And because of this, aquatics, birds, reptiles , and small animals (which are termed by the company as companion animals) are considered ancillary. Therefore, not as much attention is given to properly maintaining these animals. And many customers are not fully advised of the appropriate care that is needed to maintain these animals as pets.

About Petco

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more

Petco Salaries