Petco Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,534 reviews matching the search
It's a lot of work but its a lot of fun, especially if you are an animal lover.
Team Leader/Customer Advisor/Aquatics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 10, 2016
I had daily goals every day, goals which required a lot of interaction with the animals (fish, too). The job is a lot of work but also a lot of fun. I would highly recommend Petco for beginners who are interested in retail jobs in high-school or college.
Pros
10 minute breaks and animals!
Cons
Low staff, hours are tight. Flexibility is still great!
Educating and learning
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAApril 13, 2016
Daily Operating functions include but not limited to
Opening store, customer service, managing sales, P&L, Human Resources, cleanliness of store, productivity

Enjoying learning about all the different animals and how to maintain their health and well being. I enjoy interviewing candidates and then finding out their passion and them teaching them all the tasks to be able to assist the customers and take care of the animals according to their normal lifestyle.
Productive and growing company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson Heights, NYAugust 25, 2015
Petco is a growing company that is expanding all over which gives many employees room to grow with hard work and dedication.
Pros
Benefits, Discounts, 401k Offered
Petco
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 5, 2015
Petco is a great starting management position. it however is not something you want to spend the rest of your life in unless you are really passionate about animals and don't mind a small salary.
Pros
discounts on food
Cons
salary is low
Petco Life
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 6, 2016
If I were to open which I do more often than anything I would have to clean all the animal habitats and insure that they had clean water food and cage. I would also have to inspect each animal and see if they had any injuries or sickness.

I also had to check the fish habitats and remove the dead fish and wipe the glass of algae.

At the registers I had to check out each guest and talk with them at the same time to make sure they liked and found everything to their liking. At the same time I was checking out people I had to clean up around me and keep a close eye on the animals to make sure that they still were safe, healthy, and finally alive.

At closing we would insure each animal was okay and had enough water for the night.

The managers love animals just as much and I do and they were even more deicated to making everything perfect just to insure that everyone and everything was safe. and everything was fun for you, the animals, and the guests.

the managers are the most enjoyable as well as other employees.
Where the pets go
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTApril 17, 2015
The hardest part of my job is finding good, reliable, hard working employees. We may be working with animals, but there is always a job to do. It's not always fun and games. Salaried manager have a lot on their plates and are stressed out all of the time. It's a fine balancing act that can take years to learn. The job is good, benefits are good , and I'll continue to perfect my balancing act.
Seeing my customers happy and their animals healthy is my success. I love watching animals grow up. I know I'm doing my job when my customers come back and ask for me, or look for me to share success stories.
Pros
Working with animals and helping homeless animals find homes
Cons
heterosexual domestic partnerships don't count for benefits
Our store was great but then we got new management and ruined everything
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYJune 20, 2016
It was great for the first two months but then something happened to my gm and we ended getting the management.The GM is super rude to customers who are rude my old manager would take customers yelling and being difficult and still provide great customer service rarely would any customer leave dissatisfied.
Pros
20% off purchase
Cons
everything
Awesome Exp
Sales Associate/ Aquatics Specialist Trainee (Former Employee) –  Clifton Heights, PAMay 11, 2016
Everyday was fun i would say. Being around all the animals definitely made every shift enjoyable. Co-workers were great and the management was pretty good as well. I learned so many things about every animal in the store. I learned animal safety, habitats, Food consumption, species, and most of important how to hold and take care of them. It was over all a great experience.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Bites and scratches
Hours are so budgeted and does not have enough hours for employee
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Some people work hard some people are just taking their time when they are doing their job. Hours are so budgeted and does not have enough hours for employees.
Pros
free lunch once in a while
Cons
30 minutes break
Customer Care
Sales Partner, Dog & Cat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Glenwood Springs, CO/Branson, MOJuly 5, 2016
Customer service is what is most important and taking care of animals. If you still work hard others will take advantage of those things. Making sure items stay stocked and having enough employees to help the pet customers. Getting to see animals all day is a perk. They sure brighten your day.
Pros
Full time if great employee, benefits are decent, PTO compensation is good
Cons
No breaks
Great place to work if you love animals!
Aquatic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMarch 18, 2016
Typical day at work would include:

-Opening and closing the facility in a timely manner, while sustaining reptile and aquatic life.
-Informing customers about aquatic care and animals.
- Cosmetic Maintenance.
-Ensure that customers are making the proper purchases according to their pets needs.

I learned a lot about the upkeep of both salt water and fresh water fish. I also learned further information about house animals such as cats, dogs and birds that I did not know before an extensive period of time of working at Petco.

My co-workers were very helpful in all situations. We often worked as a team in order to accomplish one common goal.

The hardest part of my job was simply stocking merchandise in the back of warehouse. It was a very careful task because you had to make sure that each shipment had the correct amount of merchandise and it was not damaged.

I enjoyed talking to my customers on a daily basis. I had regular customers whom would come in simply to inform me on their latest fish collection and food changes. It was an rewarding experience.
Pros
Long Lunches, working with animals, flexible hours
Cons
Pay, growth
It's Corporate
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 4, 2016
This company only cares about warm bodies. They don't care that they have capable employees that know what they are doing. They will either make your work life so awful that you quit or get rid of you if you actually know what you are doing. Because, then they would have to pay you more.
This place was terrible. Too many "know it all" people working there.
Return Goods Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMarch 26, 2016
Fun co-workers.
Management and upper-management too bossy.
I learned they take talent, use it for everything they can, then fire you for doing the same thing everybody else in the company is doing.
Pros
I can't recall any pros.
Cons
Too much whining by management.
lousy gm at new distribution center in reno nevada
warehousing (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 9, 2015
I used to work for the gm, . He knows my work history, which was very good. , He had a job fair when opening and a lot of past employees from applied. He hired a lot of his past management team. .

. He did hire a lot of Past Latino employees. but they never challenge anything and most claim to know no English. All of this above is the same as being Black Balled by a company. At my interview at the job fair in August I know the Inventory Manager Liked my resume because of my experience.Petco you lose, because I would have been one heck of an employee for your company!!!
Unprofessional management, but great atmosphere.
Receptionist/Salon Assistant (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJune 4, 2015
- Management was poor and unprofessional.
- Business was fast-paced and clientele was demanding.
- Right up my ally with animal care and reception.
- Learned what is appropriate in the work place as far as social life goes with unprofessional and lude managers.
Pros
Long breaks, high-energy, clean establishment.
Cons
Poor management, low compensation, low commission.
I enjoyed woking here right out of high school
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Forestville, MDMarch 21, 2016
for this to be my first job i loved it, got to change my position if i wasn't happy. i was more animals to handle and take care of. i learned more stuff about animals that i didn't know
Pros
custmers, chance of advancement
Cons
not oargnized
A caring and simple Pet care Provider
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 22, 2016
A typical day at Petco is generally good. Depending on how heavy the store supply is will determine how heavy the work week will go. The job is overall simple however there are some tricky parts to it. The hardest part of the job is determining how to stack the pallets to which all the demanded items go.
Pros
Caring staff and good benefits
Cons
Some store orders can be tricky
Sammamish Store best Petco ever
Salon Manager/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Sammamish, WAMay 10, 2015
The staff at the Sammamish store are everything Petco hopes and dreams to be. They are caring, compassionate individuals who really have pets and their people best interests at heart. It was a difficult decision to leave this store, but the company at large decided to go in a direction that I felt made me no longer a good fit.
Pros
great health benefits, fun coworkers
Cons
PTO for groomers only minimum wage, a lack of communication with corperate management
Lots of physical labor, but the animals make it worth while.
Dog and Cat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COApril 25, 2016
 Performed daily procedures of payroll, register management, and cash drops
 Achieved department goals for sales, gross margin, merchandise shrinkage, and inventory levels
 Provided associate training and guidance to ensure the best possible customer service experience
 Executed weekly NPS customer callbacks to consistently improve department goals
An ok job for a young person
Customer Advisor Specialist (Current Employee) –  greensburgJuly 9, 2015
It is a very physical, dirty, and high energy job that would be an ok job for a young person's first place of work. The management is what you would expect out of a retail establishment (not much). The compensation is ok. Overall I would give the company a 2.5 out of 5 stars.