Petco
1,009 reviews

Petco Employee Reviews

I spent my days Grooming Dogs.
Groomer (Former Employee), Norman, OKApril 18, 2015
My favorite part of grooming dogs is seeing the transformation when a dog is brought in in terrible condition and the owner come back hours later to pick them up and not only has to dog's physical appearance changed but so has it's personality.
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Warwick, RIApril 18, 2015
-Do not value employees
-Do not take customers needs into account
-Cooperate management does not follow their own policy
-Policy changes by store
-Confusing customers and employees by rolling out new methods and systems only to change them 3 months later
Poor Management and an unpleasant work enviornment
Dog amd Cat Department Manager (Former Employee), North Amdover, MAApril 17, 2015
Cons: poor management, very difficult to reach human resource department
I use to work for the Petco out of North Andover, MA and I will have to say it was the worst job ever. The General Manager lived by the phrase, "do as I say, not as I do". I was the only male employee at the time and one of the 5 managers that worked, and alI was always tasked with the heavy lifting which screwed me in the long run and led to back problems. The work load was never distributed equally amongst the employees and the if you got on the GM's bad side, she would write you up with our you even knowing until it was time to fire you. And if you had a conplaint about saying or need to talk to human resources, you couldnt. They were based out of some country in India I think.
A great place to work during college (at least my location)
Stock Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), La Cañada Flintridge, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, nice atmosphere, good management
Cons: Crazy stock shift hours
I actually ended up loving working here. I was a stocking associate and cashier, and while I liked working as a cashier more, the stocking part of the job had crazy hours (10pm to 7am shifts), but the guys I worked with were awesome and had great personality and humor. I'm still friends with half the employees that work there. Work/life balance was good, and full shifts didn't feel that long most days. I really liked most of the managers and my coworkers. I think the hardest part of the job was just learning everything as quick as possibly (especially cleaning the animal habitats quickly, that was the hardest part). I really enjoyed helping people in the store, but sometimes the people who came into the store were super rude [I think it has to do with the attitude of the town (self entitled affluent people)]. If it paid more and the job had more variety, I probably would have continued working there for longer.
petco
Grooming Receptionist/Grooming Assistant (Current Employee), Vallejo, CAApril 16, 2015
I love working for petco because I love the animals that come in, I just which the environment had a better vibe. It would be a lot better if everyone got along and were able to settle problems in a mature manner.
I enjoyed working with animals. I enjoy customer service , retail and working with the public.
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Working with the public
Cons: Constant managment changes
As an assistant manager I helped in overseeing the day to day activities of running a retail environment. I was a key holder. I opened and closed the store which included making bank deposits
Overall good if you are desperate for work
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee), Murrieta, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Long breaks, Kind managers
Cons: Little pay, some underhanded practices
My personal experience was pretty bad with Petco. I enjoyed working with and near animals but I feel I was treated in a very underhanded manner. I was hired for a specific job title and told that I would ALSO be needed for a remodel, and after that I would begin my regular work as a Sales associate. However after the remodel was finished, I called to ask for my schedule and was crudely told that I was simply "Only needed for the remodel." I was considerably disappointed, but I at least got a paycheck and some experience out of it. However they held my paycheck for about two weeks without ever calling me about it - once again I had to contact them and ask them about to which I was told "Oh yes it's been in the backroom for a while, come in and get it."
Petco was an interesting job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Henrietta, NYApril 15, 2015
It was fun working around all the small pets and fish. I developed a great obsession for fish from my employment there. They were a nice company, as well, very fair and good to me.
great place to work
Cashier/Customer Service/Grooming Manager (Former Employee), Olympia, WAApril 14, 2015
loved working here also loved the people i worked with it made it easy to come to work everyday love animals and cashiering so what a better place to be. loved grooming being able to work closely with dogs and there owners everyday was amazing.
Great Place to work
Whole Pets Specialist/ Sales associate (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 12, 2015
Pros: Flexable hours
Petco is a customer relations based pet store. Animal safety is top priority but customer service is a very close second place. The most difficult part of work is learning about all the animals and how to properly assist customers. Once those skills are mastered the job is fairly easy.
It changed so quickly
Cashier (Former Employee), Conroe, TXApril 12, 2015
It was always busy and impossible to move away from the register. Coworkers were lazy never wanting to clean after themselves. I overall enjoyed all the animals and help pet owners find what they needed.
my review
Pet Groomer (Former Employee), Durham, NCApril 8, 2015
Pros: loved the people I worked with and love my customers
Cons: I didnt like the hours and weekend work.
My job position was pet groomer. I schedule my treatments. Interact with my customers and their pets. I maintain treatment/grooming rooms in a professional manner. Experience in taking and understanding the importance of taking good notes. Monitoring the pets, making sure they maintained to be healthy and happy at all times
Love the Co-Workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Bellevue, NEApril 8, 2015
Pros: Animals, Co-workers, Pay, Vacation
Cons: Management, No chance for advancement
My co-workers were the best perk about the job I held at PetCo. I was an employee at PetCo for two years without any chance of advancement due to my status of being a military spouse. I was told that "since my spouse was a high risk for transfer that I was not worth investing in".

I spent my days catering to the customers, caring for the pets, and completing my daily work chores before the days end. All in all, it was only a job and not a career.
Great Company with Amazing Philosophy!
General Store Manager (Current Employee), Venice, FLApril 7, 2015
I have worked for Petco for over 7 years, in all different positions, and although I have had good and bad leaders over the years, the company remains strong.

I appreciate the company and their philosophy on helping animals, and their need to promote talent from within.

Love this company!
LOVE THIS PLACE
BATHER (Former Employee), Laveen, AZApril 7, 2015
PetCo is also a great place to work. The environment was amazing, they were amazingly organized (especially during the SUPER busy days), we were like our own mini family. The employers understood all of the employees needs and they were very flexible.
Im a animal lover
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Rochester, NYApril 7, 2015
I worked in a pet store and i got to learn about many diffident kinds of animals like fish, birds and snakes. I got to feed and handle many animal's and care for them. I was also able to meet customers and their pets and help them with selections and questions. The management was fine and my co worker were fine i also. I had a cat at the time so having the perks of being a pet owner was working in a pet store. Discount !!!!!
Overall Good place to work
General Manager (Former Employee), Houston TxApril 7, 2015
day to day operations emphasis on Customer Service.
Good employees, Having a bad day...always find a pet to take away the stress
Great Fun Job
Aquatic Specialist (Current Employee), Lawton, OKApril 4, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Sometimes gets really busy but I love my job there and the people I work with. Great place to work and get to play with all the animals.
Fun place to work
Dept. Manager (Former Employee), Staunton, VAApril 3, 2015
Pros: Getting to do something i enjoyed
Cons: management turnover
A typical day would consist of cleaning animal cages & fish aquariums. Also playing with animals. Teaching new pet parents how to care for their pet. Taking sick or injured animals to the vet. I learned a lot at this job. Management had a lot of turn over. my co-workers were wonderful. The hardest part of this job was the sick or injured animals as I have a very soft heart. The most enjoyable part of my job was playing with the animals. Getting the ready for their new homes.
Great job to get started working with animals.
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MIApril 3, 2015
Pros: Room for advancement.
Cons: Low pay, not enough benefits.
I learned a lot about different people's preferences, and the needs of their pets. Management was friendly. The hardest part of the job was competing with other employees for making commission wages. The best part was making pets and their owners happy.

About Petco

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more

Petco Salaries