Petco Employee Reviews

Found 2,057 reviews matching the search
Not a bad place to work
Companion Animal Leader (Former Employee) –  Antelope, CAApril 25, 2017
It changes a lot, and that can be a pain, but I was able to move up pretty fast. It was easy to get time off, even full weeks. If you work in ca you will see corporate a lot, but the visits were never that bad.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Corporate visits
Rewarding working with animals
Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 25, 2017
Of all types of retail, pet retail is very rewarding. It is difficult though to balance workload with the unpredictability of needed vet visits, etc.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Not enough payroll to service guests and complete tasks
Understandimg management, easy going job, simple duties
Stocker and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAApril 25, 2017
I really enjoyed working there as the co workers and management were very friendly. The job gets very repetitive after a while so it's not the ideal job for energetic people.
It was an experience
Senior Dog Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 25, 2017
It has its pros and cons, m the coworkers I had made it worth while. The corporate management is cutthroat and headed in the wrong direction but on a local level it's great
Productive and fun place of work.
Pallet Jack Operator (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GAApril 25, 2017
Great company to work for. Excellent benefits with a great opportunity for advancement. Great people to work with and never shy on work. Supervisors/Managers are well respected and looked up to.
Can be fun but mostly stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2017
Throughout the years of working for the corporation it was very obvious that Petco is in it just for the money. They are not educated about animals what so ever and actually recommend and sell products that HARM pets. They do not train their employees well at all, you kind of learn on your own or do your own research. There isn't any job security, HR is a joke. They truly under compensate and over work you. I truly feel sorry for all the animals under Petcos care.
Was great before payroll became tight
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2017
Worked there long ago before the market crashed in 2008. Used to provide amazing animal care and hired great team who were dedicated to animals. After the crash, understandably, most companies cut payroll to save costs. I left the company when I felt the need for payroll was crucial for the proper care for the large amount of pets in our care. Could have gotten better in the decade since I left.
Pros
Fun and interactive with pets and people who love animals
Cons
Normal business needs gets in the way of enjoying all the animals
terrible
Dog Trainer/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarence, NYApril 24, 2017
The hours were long and boring and the work was tedious and a waste of employees effort, so boring and management was not on top of things and it was just so boring.
Pros
co workers are nice
Cons
boring and slow
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAApril 24, 2017
Hours are a little rough, depending on the type of work you are looking for. The animals are fun, but they are a lot of work and there are some animals they carry that a lot of people are uncomfortable with. Management is varying store to store.
Constantly changing work environment
Store Leader - Store 738 (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYApril 23, 2017
Great opportunity to work with people and animals and try and help the community. Changes at work (business models, focus and goals etc.) change very frequently and can be a struggle to keep up once you have a good rhythm down. If you can keep up in an environment like this it is a great fit for you.
Pros
Good opportunity for experience in changing work environment
Cons
healthcare
morale killer
Dog trainer, Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAApril 23, 2017
Employees drop like flies. We came in motivated to learn and help people but management was terrible. Scheduling was off, store was not clean, manager disappeared on the regular, etc.
Great place
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXApril 23, 2017
Great management. They work with your schedule. They will give you full time or part time. It is a great place if you love animals and want to learn about them. Great for college students or first time job
Petco
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 23, 2017
Petco is a great place to work, it gives you an opportunity to learn, and for me, the opportunity to share knowledge and my enthusiasm about animals. I make deep connections with customers and have met many amazing people. In all,my time with petco has been very fulfilling.
Fun job
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 22, 2017
i would definitely recommend working here again. Had a blast with all the coworkers and managers and was very pleased on how neat and set up the store was. Stocking and merchandising was the most fun as well
Low Pay not enough Training
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2017
I wish the pay was more competitive. And training for management should be structured.

Communication is not great.

No strategic plan to control theft.

Systems are ancient.
relaxed work place, fun coworkers and routine jobs
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 20, 2017
PetCo was a good experience with lots of new opportunities and experience for me in retail. I was able to try and do things I normally wouldn't, and working with lots of different animals and their owners was a good experience.
Pros
relaxed, good atmosphere, animals well cared for
Cons
short breaks, small discounts
Company is a Mess
Customer Advisor Specialist (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILApril 20, 2017
After 2 years with this dead-end company, I could not take it any further. Pay was only a few cents higher than minimum wage, management couldn't care less about employees, and there is not opportunity for significant advancement.
I enjoy a fast pace job
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILApril 19, 2017
I was hired for 3 days 12 hour shifts and they Changed it.A typical day I love to work independently gathering product on my rider with pallets and packing,weighing and loading trucks that i really enjoyed.The hardest part was the more you worked the more they expected.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not payed enough
a positive working experience
Cashier / Maintenance / Stock (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 19, 2017
The people i worked with were friendly. This was a positive and enjoyable place to work at. I maintained and kept the place clean. I worked the cash register.
cool place to work
Animal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 18, 2017
Easy place to work. customer service and animal welfare are the number one concern. Great people and management. Doesn't pay very much. If you need part time work or go to school this would be perfect.
Pros
cool environment
Cons
minimum wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.