Petco

Petco United States Employee Reviews

productive
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), las vegas, nvFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: animal adoptions
Cons: no advancement opportunities
Make sure payroll was submitted, and all animal habitats were clean. Running a register when lines got long,restocking the shelves
Do Not Recommend
GM (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: helping pet parents with their questions, discount, benefits
Cons: no room for advancement, company is money driven with no exceptions
Company used to be all about animals always come first. Now it's all about making more money for corporates pockets (but let's give the associates a 15 cent raise for a successful yearly review) you have to sell 3 minimum dog training classes a week or else (at $120 a class) not easy! I never saw anyone from corporate sell one but they say it's so easy. Waaaay too many projects, conference calls and no extra payroll given to help complete these tasks. Everything that is given to store is so easy to compete on paper but no help or direction when it comes time to introduce it into the stores. Short staffed with no help from other stores. Corporate having favorite stores and sharing recent visits from your store with their favorites. Too many new faces brought in from other company's (no animal background) rather than offering it to well deserved seasoned GM's. Staff in my
store was great to work with, everything
ran great until we received a walk from corporate taking up all the time in your day and keeping you from completing anything.
Productive & fun workplace
Customer Advisor/ Adoption Captain (Current Employee), Willow Grove, PAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: wages/ hourly. not enough to support independancy
-A typical day at work is what you make of it. I enjoy time spent at Petco & in that time I have learned more about animal care, nutrition, teamwork and personal development than I ever would have imagined.
- You learn a lot about animal care & it is important to have an enthusiastic interest in it
- For me Petco is not just a job but so much more & animal care is a lifestyle choice
- The hardest part of the job is dealing with coworkers who may not have an interest or care about animals the way you might. Also customers who are not compliant. Customers believe that they are always right but teaching them about proper animal care techniques is a big part of the job. Be an advocate for the animals
- The most enjoyable part of the job only takes up about 1% of the job, which is playing with the animals. But I also enjoy advising customers on animal care techniques that they listen to & follow instructions enthusiastically.
Petco
Cashier/Small Animal caretaker (Former Employee), Middletown, RIFebruary 15, 2015
I learned how to interact with animals and their owners. I also learned how to handle pets and learn about many different species of animals and fish while working there.
productive easy going
Customer Service Receptionist (Team Lead) (Former Employee), waldorf mdFebruary 15, 2015
typical day at work getting cages prep and cleaned for incoming clients (cats/dogs) and making sure all towels cleaned dried folded and bottle refilled and tubs clean and sanitized.
I've learned how to communicate better with clients to assist their needs properly and professionally.
management was horrible, coworkers was a very strong team pushing threw everyday.
the hardest part of the job was management in grooming salon .
the most enjoyable was being able to connect and help the animals .
Great brick and mortar company with solid income and repeat business throughout multiple chains. One of only two major players in industry.
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee), Mount Prospect, ILFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: discount on pet food and sundries
Very friendly company. Employees do stay with company and enjoy working in positive atmosphere. Really thorough training and good management. A lot of room for growth.
Keep moving and have fun!
Customer Services/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Beverly HillsFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: people and the animals
Cons: long hours on you feet/poor management
You learn a lot about animals and their needs.
The different range of products are great.
Co-workers were great and fun to work with and help you out when needed.
Dealing with inconsiderate customers were a hassle at time.
Family type workplace (store specific)
Inventory and Pricing Manager (Current Employee), Canton, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: working with animals
Cons: low pay
I have worked at two different Petco stores. Both were positive experiences. Employees are generally animal lovers, and lets be honest animal lovers are the best kind of people! Management styles vary by store. Customers can be demanding, but Petco generally is very laid back on pricing and customer service policies, which helps when solving problems. Animal care is structured and working with the animals is one of the best parts of the job.
Great stepping stone and skill building
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Nampa IDFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: playing with animals
Cons: hardwork and poor hours
I have learned many different things and skills that i can use in life, especially in my future work career. The best skill you can gain is customer service, its a skill i will take on with me to all of my future positions and opportunities.
Loved working there most times
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clive, IAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: most coworkers were great
Cons: hours, and conflict
I loved working with the company but getting told how something is suppose to be done 4 DIFFERENT ways was irritating. Also watching management get told to cut hours and make it understaffed was frustrating. Also don't come here thinking you will get full time.
Working with dogs all day is great!
Pet Stylist Apprentice (Current Employee), Medford, OregonFebruary 10, 2015
I applied to work at Petco's grooming salon because I love dogs and I wanted to work with them. I still do, grooming just isn't for me. All my co-workers are fantastic, and most of the managers are as well. Only one manager is difficult to work with. I would recommend working here if they replaced this particular manager.
Productive and reliable company
warehouse (Former Employee), Tulsa, OkFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: overtime
Cons: not a set schedule
For Petco, I worked to unload and load shipments. We stayed past closing to get inventory and boxes put up. This includes the understanding that everyone is on a time schedule. Work must be done quick and efficient with little to no errors. I was able to change positions quickly and adapt to my surrounding.
If you love working with pets, here you go
Cashier/Pet Care Assistant (Former Employee), Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: friendly staff, if you love animals you'll love it here
Cons: small fish selection, small break room
If you like working with pets, definitely work here. You can be a groomer or you can work with saltwater/freshwater fish, reptiles, invertebrates, birds, and small animals like hamsters, guinea pigs, ferrets, chinchillas, mice, rats, and gerbils.
fast pace.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Conroe, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: discount dog food
Cons: not enough hours.
loved anything about it im working here aagin, loved the people i work with they are great just to be honest the only bad thing about working here is you doint get enough hours.
High paced work environment with high standards
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Current Employee), Farmington, MOFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: working with animals, keeping customers happy
Cons: sometimes short staffed
Petco is very high paced with many things always needing to be done. Corporate standards are very high, and accomplishing them feels wonderful
Good place to work with co-workers, corporate not so good
General Manager (Current Employee), North Haven, CTFebruary 8, 2015
Petco corporate has really lost their grasp on the company and it's direction. They used to care for the animals and the employee's but greed has taken over.
Fun and interactive job
Customer Advisor (Current Employee), Draper, UTFebruary 6, 2015
I enjoy my job there but it has little room for fulfilling growth. You get to bag crickets and educate pet parents on nutrition and proper care, so its fulfulling like that i suppose.
Great place to be to help people and animals
Manager (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Loved working there was able to use my creative skills to help more traffic flow. There was plenty that i learned how to do the maintenance for the facility and the animals . Although some of the staff was difficult to work with I was still able to work professionally. the hardest part is dealing with difficult customers that just want something free.The greatest part is seeing a family excited about a new member addition to there home and coming to the store and getting everything they need.
Unproductive and horrible staff
Aquatic Specialist / Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Apple Valley, MNFebruary 5, 2015
Staff was always unproductive and they were not a fun place to work for. Horrible pay and impossible to get a decent raise or a fair decent schedule
Good place for animal lovers.
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Former Employee), Clinton, MDFebruary 5, 2015
Lovely place to work at. Closest place to a zoo (in a good way). They always come up with a program to better the customer service and experience for everyone.

About Petco

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more

Petco Salaries