Peterson Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Always short staffed to save money
Registered Nurse RN Labor & Delivery (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXApril 27, 2016
No work life balance...I was constantly asked to work crazy hours nights and days flipping back and forth without regard for my family or children. We were ALWAYS SHORT STAFFED and staffed with nurses that should still be training and that were still asking for training.
...no retention program...friends that have worked there for 20 years gone because they offended someone by getting to the point...seriously? We are saving lives here people...not playing patty cake at Sunday school.
The management has no appreciation for critical thinking skills. They expect you to stop everything in an emergency while trying to save a life and use your best manners wasting precious time of a persons life saying..."oh could you please hand me that unit of O+ blood while my patient is bleeding out and thank you so much and how is your day?"
The CNO is burned out and hates her job and it is obvious to everyone. The new director of Women's Services came in from a big hospital and decided she knew everything and we were all a bunch of idiots and proceeded to treat us as such.
It was demeaning and depressing.

HOWEVER....I DO WANT TO SAY I WORKED WITH SOME OF THE MOST AMAZING DOCTORS, NURSES, MIDWIVES, & TECHS...THEY ARE AWESOME.
Pros
Awesome Fellow Nurses, Doctors, Midwives, Techs
Cons
ALWAYS SHORT STAFFED TO SAVE MONEY
Fun place to work with nice staff
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXNovember 20, 2015
Good place to work and start off in the medical field.
There really wasn't that much room for growth as a Patient Care Technician, but all in all I would recommend working here to someone wanting a medical career.
Cons
Lunches are always cut short
It is a good place to start your first job as a Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Kerrville, TXAugust 17, 2015
Night shift isn't busy. Co-workers are great but management is poor.
Hardest part of the job is trying to stay awake at night
Pros
Lots of PTO, pickup extra shifts
Cons
Poor Management
peterson hospital
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXJuly 16, 2015
Hostile environment ! Picture taking of employees "wrongs"
management bulling
for the most part the workers get along.
The whole hospitals management has a lot to be desired. they are not employee friendly. Fast to fire!
Pros
working with the RNs, being there for the paticents
Focused, caring workplace, committed to patient care.
Perioperative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXJune 29, 2015
I worked in this hospital's Operating Room, cleaning/sterilizing the rooms after operations and making sure equipment was prepared and organized.

A typical day at work for me began after the morning's first surgery. The type of surgery would dictate what kind of cleaning needed to be done following. A no-incision scope or colonoscopy required minimal cleanup. A hip replacement or other orthopedic procedure required more thorough cleaning, which would include mopping/sterilizing the floors, cleaning the beds/equipment. Emptying the bio-waste and trash containers and replacing the bags. Making sure the equipment in the room was clean and ready for the next surgery.

In a workplace that prioritizes a clean, sterile environment, this job required organization and attention to detail. This job taught me how to be cognizant of how my work affects other employees.

My co-workers (nurses and doctors) were very friendly and were committed to making the patients feel comfortable, and to performing their duties with great care.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the many surgeries that could be finishing at a single time, and making sure the rooms were cleaned in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of a team of doctors and nurses, and being able to see surgery first hand.
Pros
Great staff.
Friendly environment
NUCLEAR MEDICINE TECHNOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Kerrville TexasMay 2, 2015
I love my independence in taking care of my patient to provide the utmost care they deserve. Workload is reasonably busy but not to the point of getting overwhelmed. Management is receptive to our needs. My co-worker is great to work with and very helpful in every way. We accomplish our workload in a timely manner by providing exceptional care to each and every patient.
Pros
Interaction with other care providers
Cons
Part time position
Fun place to work
LVN Scrub Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMarch 3, 2015
Very challenging fun work environment. The co-workers are so much fun to work with and there was never a dull moment. Nice new hospital, new equipment, and they have a DaVinci robot.
Productive and fun work place. Good team work.
Biller / Patient Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXDecember 10, 2014
A typical day consisted of getting to our desks and calling Insurance Companies for statements not paid or statements declined.Call the doctor's office to get correct ICD codes or whatever it was to get the bill paid for the patient. Write up Appeal Letters to fight for pay-ment.Work off of a graph that had all the Insurance Companies used by the patient. Call patient's if the insurance information was incorrect and re-bill. Answer calls from patient's or nurses ,doctor's and follow up on the problem. Co-workers should of all been doing their own work and we were in a room with man made walls in between us. I learned how to communicate with people , even the angry one's.As for management she stayed in her office visiting with her friends for most of the day ,we could go in the office if we had questions. I loved my job and did not get up with the not wanting to go to work attitude.
Pros
i had no one standing over me and could ask questions if i had a problem
Cons
when ever we would go in the bisses office her friends, the women that worked there, were always in her office. they got paid for visiting all day .
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXAugust 20, 2014
Learned other skills beyond doing secretarial work such as EKGs and EEGs. Which improved department efficiency. My director and supervisor were easy to work with and willing to listen and make changes within the department when necessary. The hardest part of the job was staying up with paper charts, but that changed when we changed over to the EMR and moved the client's charts to Medical Records where they belonged for easier access for the client and to be HIPAA compliant. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work as a team everyday and get all of our needed tasks done.
Pros
cafeteria available at a discount for employees
Nice place to work
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kerrville, TXApril 24, 2014
Very stressful job and it doesn't let up. Nice people to work with
great over all team of nurses to work with
OR Circulating nurse (Current Employee) –  Kerrville, TXJanuary 30, 2014
Peterson Regional is a small hospital with limited services. But what they do they do very well. This facility is ranked in the top 5% for orthopedic positive outcomes having recently received Joint Commission Certification in total knee replacement. The infection rate is minimal and their efforts to exceed in patient satisfaction are on going.
Very good job with great knowledge
unit clerk (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJanuary 21, 2014
My day would start with admissions or discharges and from there we would go to a morning meeting to meet the patient's needs. I learned a lot from doctor's and nurse's about how to read labs, etc. management would go the extra mile to teach you about your job. my hardest part of my job is seeing a patient dying and I would have to comfort the family. I loved my job cause of the people I worked with. it makes a difference when you have a great team to work for.
Pros
never the same every day
Cons
more time with patients
Good people to work with but pay and benfits are low.
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kerrville, TXAugust 5, 2013
I currently work nights. On an average shift I will take two patients. Charting is done every hour (vital signs,Hourly rounding, Medicine admin, etc.). Pt's recieve baths in the a.m.. Orders are reviewed and documented. Ventilators are monitored. Blood draws for morning labs. Multiple proedures are done at the bed side such as Xray, NG tube placement and Central line placement.
Pros
some good people to work with
Cons
minimal pay and benefits
Clinical setting
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXJuly 8, 2013
This clinical setting was a new setting for the hospital. A management company was supposed to manage, but did not, causing a lot of problems in the clinical setting. Additionally, there was a lack of communication between the management personnel.
Pros
the patients who came were sweet--and often very patient.
Cons
politics and stress
Great co-works
Central Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMarch 6, 2013
Cleaned and sterilized all surgical instruments after each use.