Petland Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Salesperson (Former Employee), Deerfield Beach, FLAugust 26, 2015
working for petland it really fun because you get to play with all the animals, and at the same time you help the customer on how take care of their future pet
Awesome atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Bayonne, NJAugust 3, 2015
Great staff, fun place to work! Working with animals is a great atmosphere to be in while also providing a great place to learn about and how to care for different pets.
Fun Place To Work
Kennel Manager (Former Employee), Frisco, TXJuly 6, 2015
Fun place to work. Loved my coworkers and Manager. An overall great place to start off at. Lot of experience to be gained.
Petland
Pet Consular (Former Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILJune 24, 2015
It was alright, there is a lot of compitition, you work in sales, you need to sell expensive dogs.There was long shift. It was easy taking off days. There was a lot to learn, about every animal. When customers come in we were basically doctors to their dogs
Productive work place in selling puppies
Inventory Control Manager (Former Employee), FloridaJune 22, 2015
A typical day of working at Petland consisted of me ordering retail for the entire store, receiving everything that was shipped at the store and putting away the inventory that I ordered.
Great place for animal lovers to work but terrible management & animal living conditions
Kennel Technician (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJune 18, 2015
I disliked Petland. Poor management. Terrible animal conditions. Rarely any job advancement. No security. Outrageous pricing on animals.
was ok
Kennel Technician (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 5, 2015
Pros: adding new skilles
I love working there cause i love helping the dogs.I was a kennel tech. I learn how to medicate the puppy's meaning giving shots and deworming, if they was sick I learn how to isolate and care for a sick puppy. it was hard but a good learning experience. Petland was the place that made me want to help dogs.
Enjoy great customer service with cuddly animals
PET COUNSELOR (Former Employee), Pembroke Pines, FLMay 30, 2015
Assist customers in animal care needs as well as selling and showing new potential pets.

From selling to inventory, the store consists of a healthy team effort to make Petland the ideal pet store.
upper manangment
Store Manager (Current Employee), Patchogue, NYApril 17, 2015
Pros: paid lunch hour
Cons: working open to close
the hardest part about my job is I'm pulled 2 different ways because the company is family owned so one person tells you to do one thing then a week later someone else tells you another way to do it then when you tell them this what you were asked to do they say to you "im here and they are there" so you do as I ask
Petland
Stock Associate (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 30, 2015
Stocking Associate. Maintaining full stock on floor. Receiving the shipment, account for products, and place items in proper bins and shelves. Flexible employee; also helped in the kennel, opening and closing the store.
Bad Manager
Kennel Technician (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 23, 2015
- I loved working with the animals
- My boss did not let me do my job right because he was too worried about money
- A lot of animals got sick because of this
- He didn't care about employees
- Nice co-workers
- I loved that I was always busy
Very upbeat fast pace environment
Kennel Technician (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 15, 2015
Pros: fashion trends, discounts, variety of people, social life.
Cons: hours, recovery.
Number one priority-customers.
Sales floor care.
Learned organizational Skills.
Communicating Skills.
Management very easy going.
Multiple personalities.
Overnights are rough.
Some what flexible schedule.
Boring unless a Customer came in
Pet Councilor (Former Employee), Strongsville, OHFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: discounts off animal care and animals themselves
Cons: very money hungry
I personally didn't like it there. It was all about money and stepping on your co-workers to get the sale because while we had a base pay, we also made commission. It became a very hostile environment – more... to work in.
There was no cleaning crew, the employees had to decide between taking care of customers and cleaning the store. Either one we chose we would get in trouble, for the simple fact that we weren't doing the exact opposite thing.
The manager was always hypocritical, basically a "do as I say not as I do" sort of person. It was very easy for her to get angry at the smallest thing.
My co-workers were great 90% of the time. We usually got along unless it was a high stress day. The store was inside the mall so we were always busy.
The hardest part of the job was keeping everyone happy. Customers and co-workers and the boss. It was a difficult part of the job but it was also a great challenge.
The absolute best part of the job was sending an animal home or helping families with animals already at home. My job wasn't just about selling. It was about making families happy and making the animals happy with a forever home. – less
Fast pace environment.
Right Side Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 4, 2015
Very busy day with extreme amount of children through out the day. Through the years this job has helped me learn to stay calm and collected under pressure. Management has been supportive but if sales slip then support slips away as well.
Kennel manager
Kennel manager (Former Employee), Topeka, KSFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: i was in charged.
Cons: my job required me to choose work over family.
Manage the kennels, clean cages, feed cats and dogs, educating customers about the animal they are thinking or going to buy, laundry, dishes, making sure everything stays clean, on Fridays, I would work – more... with the veterinarian, check out the new dogs/cats/birds/small animals that come in every week and any other animal that are starting to become sick or have become sick since the last time the veterinarian came, administer medication, determine what medication fits appropriate symptoms, paper work for each animal and input into the computer, having weekly meetings with my kennel staff of 5, and schedule hours for the month. – less
Fun Workplace but bad management
Small Animal Caretaker (Former Employee), Lake Saint Louis, MOJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: always have something to do
Cons: one break a day for 6 hrs or more, management needs improvement, needs better job security
A typical day at work varied, as I was in 2 positions within the company. Small Animal Caretaker was the same tasks every day, clean cages, feed and water animals, clean up my mess. Occasionally there – more... would be a sick animal that needed attention but it never usually took long. As a pet counselor, it was different every day. Customers would come in and be looking at the puppies or the kittens and pet counselors were required to pull out whatever animal they were looking at and take the animal and customer to a play room to play with the animal. If they said no to playing, we were trained to rebuttal their answers with things like "Well this puppy hasn't gotten to play yet today." or "Just for a few minutes?" because the goal was to get the customer to play. Playing means bonding, and bonding means they wouldn't be able to go home without the animal. After the customer decided they wanted to take home the animal, there was a long process in sending it home. Paperwork would need to be filled out, we would need to take them around the store to show them things the new pet would need, and finally the sale.
My Co-workers were for the most part great people, but since it was a commissioned job, of course there was competition. I tended to stay away from the ones who were unfair and worked closely with the ones that I trusted. Management was okay, training was basically obsolete and there were many MANY things that would get you fired on the spot. Most of them were common sense, some of them didn't make sense. There was no job security there because it was either sell or be fired.
Hardest part of the job was overcoming objections to taking home a new pet. Some objections we just couldn't work through, some of them we already had pre-set ways of overcoming them. Other than that, it was a fairly simple job. The most enjoyable part was working with other people who shared a love for animals and getting to converse with customers about previous or current pets and getting to tell stories of my own pets. I also got to play with puppies on a daily basis and one could never go wrong with that! – less
Pet Consular
Pet Consular (Current Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: 30 minute breaks for over 7 hour shift, play with cute dogs, i have learned how to be a better pet owner and everything about pets
Cons: long shift 9-10 hours
This is my current job at the moment, would like to leave as soon as possible. My job was min wage, however employees can hit commission if they hit over their job. However the goals are impossibles while – more... prices for dogs are 1,500 dollars and up. Costumers think I am insane when I tell them the price. Don't get me wrong I have sold over 100 dogs for the 6 months I have been there. But I do way too much to get min wage. – less
Excellent company to work for with fun people, employee incentives, commission bonuses and fast career advancement
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FLJanuary 16, 2015
This is a great company to work for at entry-level for young people. Requires self motivation, out going personality, love for animals and people skills.
stressful but fun
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 28, 2014
its a fun place to work but its high stress, always be on your toes, and if there is a favorite then they get what they want. Its not always fair but it is cut throat, and you have to be a shark or you'll be bait.
Was a great place to work at
Pet Counselor (Former Employee), Medina, OHOctober 25, 2014
You would try to sell animals to people and figure out the best approach to it