Petland Employee Reviews

NOT a good company. Management does not care about employees or animals.
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILNovember 9, 2017
NOT a good company. Management does not care about employees or animals.Terrible pay, I had to meet sales goals that were not reachable while being constantly reminded that my job was on the line so I was basically forced to be crazy pushy with sales (while I do enjoy sales) to the point that people (and myself) were uncomfortable. I had to lie about where the animals, primarily the puppies, came from. They do in fact come from puppy mills and the conditions they came in were deplorable.I was told on more than one occasion to take an animal outside and kill it for one reason or another, for example; a parakeet we had at one point had a deformed wing and would not sell so my manager told me to "take it out back" (kill the bird making sure no one saw) I ended up putting him in my car and still have him. More than once a customer pointed out a puppy that didn't look well, one of the employees would take the puppy to the vet (if he was available) and the puppy died on the way, so that shows how much attention was actually paid to them. I could go on and on but I'll stop here. DON'T work here, DON'T shop here, shut them down and go save an animal from a shelter. I've been working since 2007 and this is by far the worst place I've ever worked.
sad
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 2, 2017
I didn't really ENJOY working there the company only cared about money the animals weren't treated very well I would never recommend anyone working there it was sad too watch the dogs grow up and be in such small cages the didn't buy dogs from breeders it was from a puppy farm very sad
Excellent place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYOctober 5, 2017
I started as a stocker and worked my way up to management, if you work hard here and show that you care you will be promoted. pay was good and the store i worked at was amazing with the right group of coworkers
Stressful and competitive
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILSeptember 22, 2017
They’re selling dogs for $2000 + and get upset when you do not sell enough which is difficult with such expensive products. It is extremely stressful and competitive and very misleading.
Pros
Cute puppies
Cons
Everything else
Fun, fast paced environment.
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 19, 2017
I would open at Petland first by cleaning the petters and feeding the animals. Then when the I unlocked the doors I helped customers to the best of my ability with any questions or concerns they had.
Okay temporary job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 19, 2017
I worked here over the holiday season. It was an exciting change of pace from working at a grocery store. I enjoyed my co-workers and the level of interaction with customers and animals. I do not agree with the amount they charge for their puppies but I did like getting to play with them.
Stressful environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GASeptember 7, 2017
There is so much work to be on a daily basis but never enough time to accomplish everything, projects are started but never finished due to the fact that new projects are started continuously. There is no confidentiality among management and drama is completely allowed to keep co-workers arguing and stay competitive. The best part of the job there is working with live animals and people who are animal lovers.
I loved working at Petland
Sales floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 7, 2017
I worked for a family owned Petland and had both ore fun there than ever. I would work there again in a hearbeat if I could afford to. The people were great and and I became great friends with several of my coworkers even after leaving.
Productive and competitive workplace
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  South Point, OHAugust 28, 2017
Management was very poor, favoritism was huge, however the joy of customers and pet interactions overcome emotional stress of the job. Customer rapport was the best part, because often "regulars" are the only ones to come into the store and you're able to get to know them on a first name basis
Pros
Easy promotion
Cons
No benefits
Easy going with a exciting work environment
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 15, 2017
A typical day at Petland is greeting customers, pulling puppies from their kennel and hopefully finding them a good home. While working at Petland, I learned how to do paperwork on all the dogs I sold, negotiate prices that was more comfortable for the customer and finding wonderful dogs a beautiful home and family to go to. Management was not appropriate and very unprofessional. The hardest part of the job is getting families approved to finance puppies. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new puppies and finding them good homes.
Pros
Hour break, Pay
Cons
Healthcare
very stressful, unrewarding work.
Pet Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILAugust 3, 2017
fast paced work environment, with no benefits aside from the hope for commission with commonly unattainable goals to receive it. as well as an unfriendly co-workers.
Pros
free water bottles, %10 discount.
Cons
unattainable goals, unfriendly management
good environment
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 30, 2017
a great environment to work although sales commission can be cut throat. some employees are there more for a paycheck rather than the well being of the animals. recent management is hardly ever physically around to attend to management duties, so supervisors are to pick up slack. customers are next to always a pleasure to work with. extra cuddles from the animals are a major plus
Good company
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 26, 2017
I was in sales and worked in the kennel. I got the animals ready to go to their new home. Baths , meds and lots of love.i really enjoyed working with the animals.
This business has been closed for many years
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 25, 2017
This business has been closed for many years. You should have an opt out option for closed businesses as it is a huge waste of time to review a place no longer in business
Pros
closed
Cons
closed
Good Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 21, 2017
Not great care for the animals no matter how much you care. Some of the pets are from good and responsible breeders but others are not. ..........................
Happy fun place to work
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 16, 2017
This was a franchise. The owners were exceptional, caring people who loved both the animals and the employees. I learned much about animal care and maintenance while there and expanded my comfort level and knowledge of reptiles and insects. The pay was good and the atmosphere comfortable.
Pros
puppy love
Cons
sales and shift work
BS place to work
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 13, 2017
I honestly wouldn't wish upon anyone to work here. The management treats lower employees very poorly. They don't take care of their puppies properly either.
Amazing Workplace
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of monitoring dogs in the kennel. I administered medicine and tracked their daily health. The staff gets to listen to music in the kennel so that makes it go by quick and fun. management is really close with everyone and treats you like family. The hardest part about the job is learning everything the first few days because its a lot to remember at first but once you get the hang of it itll be better. The most enjoyable part about the job is getting to be around playful puppys all day. This job is great for someone in college living at home with parents or jus trying to get some extra income. It's like $8 an hour but nobody gets full time so its best to have anoher job if you work here if your trying to support yourself.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Discounts, Friendly atmosphere, paid 15 min break
Cons
Not enough pay, Not full time, dont always get your break if its busy
fast paced, amazing owner
Pet Counselor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 28, 2017
the owner of petland Janesville is one of the best bosses to have, you are not just am employee to him, you are a person, and any health issues you have he cares and works with you. some of the management is hard to get along with but that is when you just of there and do your job. it is a very faced paced job and you always have something to do there
Fast pace but fun environment
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJune 20, 2017
Working at Petland was definitely an experience for me. I had so much fun overall, but I realized I wanted to go a different path. It is a fast-pasted environment that can be stressful at times since it is commission based. You also have to learn quickly being that you are working with live animals and sometimes impatient customers.