Petland Employee Reviews

selling
puppy counsler (Former Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 21, 2017
very unorganized, definitely not a good place. mess up your pay and they don't really even know how to run a business. terrible hours and never get scheduled then get yelled at for not meeting your quota.
Pros
good pay
Cons
terrible hours, poor working faci
nice place
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2017
I love love love love being with animals cleaning there cages sending to new home I love it's sooo much I cry leaving there I moss taking care of animals and picking them up and playing with them
Pros
great
Cons
nun
Corrupt
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLJanuary 20, 2017
The dogs are always so sickly, it breaks my heart. They buy puppy mill dogs for 300 dollars and sell them for thousands. After realizing the kind of franchise i worked for, i had to look for a more ethical job.
When I was working there, I found a frozen bunny in the fridge in the kennel. After informing management it was left there for months.
What really made me turn in my two week notice was a Parvo outbreak and a golden retriever died.
The turtles die everyday, they still sell yellow belly sliders and red ear turtles that develop puss sacks in their eyeballs. The bird seed aisle has a spider infestation and in the back where the office is, the back wall is filled with animals that are sick and waiting to die.
A job for starters
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 4, 2017
Unless you are wanting to try to get to a management position, this job has no real benefits. The pay isn't worth it and there are no benefits. The company isn't ran the best and I wouldn't go back given the choice.
Pros
You get paid and you see animals
Cons
Everything else
Fun environment, terrible management
Assist GM (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVDecember 29, 2016
I worked there and enjoyed my time learning how to care for what I'm passionate about, animals. The environment was fun but the management was less than ok at best. A huge lack of respect for employees as well as customers at times. The store I was at now has a new owner and manager and I hope they are setting things in a positive direction.
Cons
no benefits
Fun workplace
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILDecember 13, 2016
Friendly staff, fun work environment, flexible hours and days. You get to work with animals with is always a plus and can benefit later ani
Pros
puppies
Cons
some days are slow and some are crazy busy
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLNovember 12, 2016
I loved working at Petland. I had to memorize a lot of paperwork and help customers find their perfect pet. It can be a lot of work some days when its busy other days not so much with no customers. Overall great experience its a big family.
Not a good experience
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Independence, MONovember 2, 2016
Had alot of conflict and felt like i was taken advantage of and not treated fairly. Biased views toward other people who worked with me in the pet store.
Awesome Atmosphere
Left sider (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAOctober 25, 2016
At Petland Kennesaw (the #1 petland currently), the work itself isnt very hard all I really had to do was sell and clean up after every animal besides the puppies plus you can constantly talk to customers and fellow employees. The coworkers are super friendly and feel like family. Also my boss was very understanding and easy to talk to. While working they also play some good music over the store so its not uncommon to see us dancing alittle bit. The discounts are nice and every once and a while we do a raffle for expensive tech. The only cons is that breaks are scarce and if you dont hit commision you get paid minnimum wage, and we dont get any real benefits.
Pros
Great coworkers, great boss, potentially good pay
Cons
No breaks, no benefits besides discounts and occasional raffle
Busy work place: Always something to do.
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHOctober 23, 2016
Petland was a part time job while I was still in college. I really liked my job a lot. There was always something there to keep you busy. Getting to see animals all day was my favorite part. Co-workers were great. Management was a little unorganized. The hardest part of the job was the unorganization. The schedule would get switched and they would not let you know every time.
Pros
Always had fun on the job
Cons
They were very unorganized when it came to the schedule

Want to know more about Petland?

Ask a question
Any job where you work with animals should be fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OHOctober 16, 2016
Loved working with animals everyday, I learned so much working there, from animal husbandry, to nutrition ect. Its a very rewarding job, could be sad at times tho.
Pros
Learning to care for all different kinds of animals
Cons
pay wasn't very good, but it was worth it
Playfull puppies
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 6, 2016
As a franchise, every Petland is different, but they all have the same thing in common: Puppies and pets! It's pretty great to be able to snuggle a little ball of fluff if a customer or coworker upsets you!
Pros
Experience with animals, Commissionable sales
Cons
live animal risks
Very fun and energetic atmosphere
PET COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 5, 2016
Petland is the number one place to go to find any of your furry friends necessities. Highly knowledgable employees are more than willing to help you find whatever it is that you have come to their store for. From food and treats to cages and apparel, Petland has it all for all of your pets at home.
Loved the animals.
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHSeptember 4, 2016
I loved working with the animals but that was about it. The boss talks very poorly to his emplyees. If there is a problem he wants no part in it. Being in sales was just way to Much. It was not a team enviarment at all. He wouldn't risk the safety of his emplyees if a sale went wrong.
Pros
Animals
Cons
No one is a team
Really fun place to work. You get to learn a lot of new things about animals and other related information on animal/pet life and care
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCAugust 18, 2016
Petland is a really enjoyable place to work and is a ton of fun. You get to care for the pets and also handle the animals. Although my time working there was rather short, I am happy that i got a chance to work there.
Pros
Possibilities for an increse in pay
Cons
Disrespectful customers every now and then.
Wonderful work family; horrible management
Kennel Technician (Current Employee) –  Lewis Center, OHAugust 11, 2016
I love my kennel technician managers. But the"puppy match making" manager who is technically the stores manager is very rude and does not treat his employees very well. The work environment when he is not around is perfect and nobody is nearly as stressed out.
Pros
Working with a great work family
Cons
horrible management
Fun place to work but not very great employees
Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJuly 24, 2016
Awesome to be around puppies all day but the drama and competitiveness was sometimes too much to bear. I started the job when I was 15/16 years old and in high school. And let me tell you if you want a bunch of hours... they will sure give that to you. Being in high school and doing homework while juggling a part time job that worked you full time is very hard. But, since i have graduated I would love to go back and work there once again.
Pros
PUPPIES!
Cons
Drama and over worked.
Productive and rewarding workplace
Kennel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJuly 4, 2016
This was a very rewarding job experience being able to take care of the animals that came in from several shelters. Being able to see many of them adopted throughout my experience here had always made the days even brighter. A typical day of work consists of feeding and cleaning the animal's cages, making sure they had proper nutrition, to give special attention to those who were sick and in need of care, giving the proper information to those who wished to adopt particular animals, and more. I have learned very much in terms of what it takes to be able to care for these sick animals, and what to do for the future if any one of them are sick or in need of care. Management was always very supportive and looked to see how well we were doing to make sure these little ones were safe and protected. Co-workers were always very nice and worked in a team atmosphere in order to make sure everything was administered properly. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing these animals go towards a loving home and being able to have a lifelong companion to those wanting to adopt.
Pros
Helping sick animals, finding happy homes for them
Cons
Healthcare
Petland
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJune 29, 2016
I learned a vast amount of skills in a short period of time and was given the opportunity to use my self starting work ethic often. I worked my way up to kennel manager and at that point I knew that I was in the wrong field and needed to make a change. I am hoping to find new employment based on an overall disagreement on the level of care that the puppies deserve. I feel that this position has helped mold me into a fantastic worker but I can't grow any more here and and would love to transfer to a job that I can work my way up to a career in.
Pros
Educational environment, friendly coworkers
Cons
No benefits
Sign Waver
Promotion Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 27, 2016
Sign Waver at Petland I was paid under the table and was working in less than favorable conditions. Never worked with management, typical days were grueling and miserably hot, I knew no one because I worked alone standing on a street corner holding a sign. Hardest part of the job was being pestered by homeless that walked by, best part was the no tax reduction.
Pros
No tax reduction
Cons
No benefits or personal job experience gained.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petland. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7