PETRA INDUSTRIES

PETRA INDUSTRIES Employee Reviews

No comment
Supervisor, Renard Bell, PH (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKAugust 29, 2015
After working at Petra for 1 plus years, I felt that management did not truly appreciate its employees. The work environment was not very good due to lack of heating and air conditioning
Multiple labor law violations, no leadership
Operations (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKApril 28, 2015
There is a reason this company has such a terrible reputation. Steer clear. Eventually they will get sued by an employee not willing to take it. EEOC should love to get ahold of this place. Unaffordable benefits, ridiculous policies, constant wage and hour violations.
Find somewhere that actually lives by their core values and mission, instead of pretending. You don't deserve to have to work here.
Don't do it
RTO Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 7, 2015
I worked there for 6 years. They claim they are an open door company but once you talk to upper management about something that you think will help the company out they act like they listen but in reality you are on your way out. The best part of my job was working along my team the worst part is knowing that you never know where you stand with this company for instance I was told 2 months ago I would be making the move with the company the new facility but yesterday I was told they wouldnt need me.
Pros
Comp days my manager gave me without the VP knowing
Cons
long hours and don't treat there employees good
productive workplace with great people
Manifest Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKAugust 22, 2014
- The ideal shift is eight hours, which usually ends up as ten or eleven.

- The hardest part of the job is the holiday season, which is mid-November to mid-February. This year, it hasn't really slowed down.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
long, variable hours, longer and more variable holiday hours, no air conditioning
GREAT WORKPLACE
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKJune 4, 2014
The enviroment is great and the people are great

They really take care of the employees and care about our well being. I have seen them help so many people here
Great Opportunities for Advancement & Care factor
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OklahomaMay 5, 2014
I have seen multiple people over the last few years get promotions. Hard work and patience does pay off if you want a place to grow.

There has been a positive cultural shift in the last year and I believe the company is moving in very positive direction.

I have repeatedly seen people (from all levels) rise up and rally around employees that are going through difficult times.
Pros
very casual enviroment.
Great Place to Work!!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKApril 29, 2014
The environment is pretty casual and easy going. Employees are very friendly and are always willing to help one another. I also enjoy our management team; they seem to really care about the employees and want them to succeed in every way.
Pros
pay, hours, management, work life balance
Great work life balance
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKApril 25, 2014
It is a very casual work environment. I enjoy the easy-going atmosphere. The employees are all extremely friendly.
Pros
good hours, decent pay
Sellig sunglasses
Distribution Center SKU Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKApril 24, 2014
A day consist of cleaning sunglasses. arranging them in a visually appealing manner and helping customers find the right fit for them.
Pros
flexible hours, easy work, nice co-workers
Cons
work holidays and weekends
warehouse
Order Processor-Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKApril 5, 2014
hands down the worst place to work. if I had my way I would never have worked there.
Fun atmosphere, challenging, good vendor relations, but unfullfilling on compensation
Wireless Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmond OkMarch 11, 2014
I helped establish the new wireless department back in 2012 when vendors made new account requirement causing some shake ups in the industry. My daily routine included calling on scheduled customers that placed weekly orders, advising customers of items that were back in stock, and contacting existing customers to update them on new product lines that showed success in the market place. I also was responsible for contacting vendor leads and prospecting new businesses and bring them on to purchase with Petra.
Pros
free vendor lunches, free parking, free donuts on fridays, and customer relationships
Cons
management would find ways to pull compensation based off technicalities, or pull large accounts with large goals and still hold you accountable for those goals
Ok place to work
A/P Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKFebruary 25, 2014
Massive turn over, poor management and not very friendly employees.
Horrible
Sales (Former Employee) –  EdmondAugust 13, 2013
Horrible place to work! Bad Bad Management who don't have a clue. Sales people who have been there for years are lazy but get rewarded. They hate new employees and won't help out a new person. Terrible place to work.
Cons
everything
Employee
NON DISTRIBUTION EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Edmond OKMay 6, 2013
Turn over seems excessive, Yes there are very nice people there. The entrenched management run the business, if you not an agreeing person, your not kept long and ideas are not allowed to be shared unless its from management.
Pros
good people & nice people
Cons
management - different than most
No leadership
Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKApril 27, 2013
They lied to me during the interview. They said I would have 200 establish accounts that had an average of $8,000 in sales, that I would have no problem booking $32,000 per day. The day I started my manager said we changed some things.... I had 2 accounts that we averaging $300 every 3 days in sales. I was given a cold call list with over 1,000 numbers that had been recycled. They were disconnect, or tried of someone from Petra calling them. When you get a large account the management did everything they could to kill the deal, from making the new customer pay up front, to delaying delivery, giving the pre paid order to another customer that had been buying from them longer. They lied about
ow much commission you can earn, and about their sad health insurance, the longer you are there the less you any, its the new employees that pays 1/2 of your check for health care!!!
The most enjoyable day was the day I gave my 2 weeks notice.
Pros
giving my 2 wees notice
Cons
management

Comment – May 6, 2013

I was also told that there was an ton of established accounts and when i started contacting them from this list that was given to me, many were disconnected or hadn't heard from us in years. Plus many of the larger accounts were taken away from me right away. They could have left some meat on the bone for me!!! I know exactly who you are referring to as the manager. He's worthless. I can't believe that they would allow someone like that to work there. I feel bad for the CEO because he's such a nice guy and has no idea what these people are doing to his business.

High energy vibrant growing company
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKMarch 30, 2013
This company has honest and caring management. The work place is fairly relaxed and easy going. Expect to have plenty to do and always be busy.
Pros
great work atmosphere, honest and caring management
Cons
expensive benefits, wages at the lower end of the market.
Poor management, great employees
Sales (Former Employee) –  OkMarch 26, 2013
I loved my job at Petra. I couldn't stand the poor management or should I say lack of management. The sales director is a joke. He thinks that he is a drill sergeant. He's more like a hand puppet and the VP/ President of the company has his hand in him telling him what to do. On multiple occasions I've seen him come out of his office and start yelling at his whole sales staff (while they are on the phone with customers) telling them that they need to sell more. This person needs some serious management training. It's like he's trying to compensate for something missing in his life. I would also love to see the president of the company make a decision or talk to his employees about things rather than hide behind his desk and send crypted emails. If you have something on your mind, talk to me about it. Don't send some idiot to talk to me. The founder of the company is great. I hope these people don't destroy what he has built because he is a very nice person.

Benefits are a joke as well. They pay next to nothing towards them so the employee has half their paycheck go towards medical coverage.

Don't get too attached to working here because they will find a way to get rid of you. Even if you do everything they ask and perform well.

If I had to do it all over again, I would stay far away from this employer.
Pros
good work/life balance
Cons
very poor management.
Don't do it!!!!
Truck loader (Former Employee) –  Edmond OklahomaFebruary 9, 2013
If your thinking about this job please don't do it! The employees are great but the supervisors are horribleee! Worst thing about working there by far, plus there's other warehouses that's so much better than Petra where you will get wayy better pay and treated way bettrr
Pros
you get doughnuts every friday lol
Cons
don't be even a minute late they are quick to write you up
Awful place to work...
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJanuary 22, 2013
I was hired full time (not temporary) for receiving at the Blastrac building. I worked there during the week. We came in early and worked til the work for the day was done. On the weekends, we were sent to the main Petra building during the weekends to work for the other manager to do HIS employees work (they had the weekends off). He had us work til late in the evening. They worked us to the bone, it was ridiculous. No wonder they have such a high turnaround. I needed the job, so I kept my mouth shut. Eventually, they told me that they didn't need me at the Blastrac building anymore, and they were working hard to find another place for me. This went on for weeks. I kept calling and emailing and I was told the same thing, they were working on finding a spot for me. Obviously they were not, and were waiting for me to "quit" so they didn't have to fire me. I was unable to get unemployment because of this. Completely unprofessional and sleazy. Not to mention all of the gossip and inappropriate behavior that went on. The Human Resource department was a joke. Don't mess with this horrible company.
Pros
they would occasionally buy us pizza when we had to work late
Cons
awful human resources, irradic and unreliable hours, gossip, poor wages
Productive place to work
Purchasing Assistant/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKNovember 23, 2012
A great place to work. You need to have good communication skills because you will have to communicate with vendors and different levels of management.

2.7