Petsense Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working at Petsense.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMJune 29, 2017
Working at Petsense was a great pleasure. Eveyone was so nuce. Petsense will do what they can to save animals. There were events in the store every weekend. There was great customer service. Customers enjoyed coming into the store; I believe more than the animals.
Pros
Great to see different animals, getting to know the customers and their pets, the different events in the store.
Cons
No cons
Try again
Lead Key Holder / Groomer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2017
The company upper management is still in it's learning phase. Unless you are at the top you are of no concern. As a part time job it's good but if you want to move up, your efforts are best place else where. There aren't ways to hold employees accountable and the store manager is expected to clean up after everyone else and can't redirect employees for fear they might leave.
Pros
Very relaxed
Cons
No structure as a company
Interesting
Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Brownwood, TXMay 15, 2017
Great people to work with. The animals were my favorite part of working there. Management was difficult with some things and sometimes did not listen to associates
Awful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TNMay 14, 2017
This is the worst company to work for. They let the market managers get away with being bullies. Said market managers don't answer calls or emails but are the first to throw blame. I would never recommend anyone to work here. They want their managers there 50 hours a week and to make Petsense their life even if you have kids.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKMay 14, 2017
If you love pets, this is the absolute best place to be. It is always so fun to communicate with the awesome people that come in. I loved helping people pick out the right products.
Good
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Reidsville, NC 27320April 18, 2017
Cleaning out the cat cages is a nasty smelly job. But if you like working with animals then that is a job for you. But sometimes you might get hurt by a dog or a cat
Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager/ Lead key Holder (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAApril 14, 2017
a job where you are usy but its very fun. Getting to play with the animals that come in and just being able to help the customers. Very laid back and easy going for the most part. Lots of responsibility as an associate or key holder.
Pros
very laid back
Cons
dont offer many hours
Focused Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCFebruary 24, 2017
On a typical day, employees come in, find out goals for the shift and complete those goals while assisting customers. I learned how to use the register, talk with customers, back stock, and perform date checks. Employees are overall friendly people. The hardest part of the job can be time management when there are many goals for the shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is friendly coworkers and customers.
Interesting and positive place to work
Customer Service/Stock Room (Current Employee) –  Reidsville, NCJanuary 17, 2017
A day on the job is usually filled with meeting and getting to know interesting people. People who are invested in the care of animals and causes greater than themselves. The management and co-workers are friendly and easy to be around. The hardest part of the job are heavy lifting of dog food bags and making sure money is counted back right to customers.
Pros
30 minute lunch and a 15 minute break while on work
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement
Helping others with their pet problems
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tullahoma, TNDecember 2, 2016
The Petsense community is a great place to work if you love animals. They truly strive to give the customer the best advice possible to help their pets.
enjoyed job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYNovember 28, 2016
I enjoyed this position, the interaction with the public and animals. this employer does have a high turnover and management seems to be under considerable pressure due to this.
Pros
pets
Cons
management
Great!
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJuly 25, 2016
Great Place to work if you love Animals in your everyday life! Work staff is always great, teamwork and just overall care for your pets. Learning is simple with their great training and simple computer programs!
Pros
Dogs and Animals, Great Team
Cons
Hours were hard to get had to have a second job
Fun place to work with Animals
Sales Associate- cashier, stock person, cleaner (Current Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCMay 15, 2016
Slow work day putting up stock checking people out. Working with the cats and customers pets that come in and visit us. I learned how to care for pets more and different types of products for peoples animals. Management isn't so bad. They do intend not to be helpful with employees or seem to care about them. My co-workers have their days some people nice or mean towards you. hardest part of work day put up stock on truck days and do the cats. enjoyable part of my day talking with customers and playing with the pets.
Pros
playing with awesome animals and ac when its hot
Cons
not getting help when asked for it
Productive and easy going job with animals
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Sulphur Springs, TXMay 10, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of ringing customers up, cleaning the store, etc.
I enjoyed working with my coworkers because we were all trained well by management.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that we were sometimes very slow and it got boring at work.
The best part of my job was that I got to see all different types of animals walk i
I learned a lot of skills such as team cooperation and cash register comprehension.

I highly recommend Pet Sense to anyone who has a passion for animals with a flexible schedule and friendly personality. It's a fun work environment and you learn a lot about all different types of animals!
Pros
Laid-back, not physically demanding job, good management, nice customers
Cons
Short breaks, asking for time off can be complicated at times due to not many employees
productive and a fun work place.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 20, 2016
I learned a lot of what management is suppose to do and what to expect. I learned about animal diets as well as how to keep your pet happy with the amazing things the store had.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAMarch 20, 2016
On a typical day at work, I was responsible for receiving and stocking merchandise, assisting customers in finding the right products for their animals. I handled the end of day cash balance and made sure that the store was clean for the opening the next day.
Pros
Working with animals, customer service experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
Not enough time given to animal care!!!
Customer Service is first and foremost (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 16, 2016
I have worked at past pet stores, this one is the worst!. I work 4 hours a day, 4 days a week and have less than an hour with the animals. That means if Im lucky, I might get to clean a cage or 2. The Manager does nothing to help with the animals and the key holders like to stay in the office alot. So the animals are neglected untill they are really bad, then they are cleaned. The rescue cats that we house are cared for by me and I Clean bedding water and food every morning. We have a bigger cage that I put them in everyday so they can stretch their legs, I give lots of love, but Im the only one that does this.
Pros
Sort of get to be around animals
Cons
Pay is bad and so is the managment
bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNNovember 27, 2015
worst managers I have ever worked with. could be a great company to work for, if they could train there managers. both store/regional managers were very bad.
Great customers but too small a company without the proper support in a remote location.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NENovember 14, 2015
I would not recommend a management position with this company unless you are willing to work way more than the minimum of 45 hours. There was never any encouragement only criticism from Market Manager. It was a hands on position which is ok but you were not given enough payroll hrs to cover the store in order to do those tasks and sales suffered. You were "hauled on the carpet" for not meeting those goals. I worked in a failing store...it was that way when I was hired and I was expected to perform miracles in turning it around w/o the support. Very high stress with no support.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
No support for management

Comment – December 7, 2015

Reading some of these other reviews since I entered mine, I see that I was not the exception but the rule. I've tried contacting corporate to discuss this situation but they are obviously not interested as I've never received any kind of response. After 35 yrs in retail management, I can say out of experience that this store I worked in will never succeed and I'd be willing to bet it will keep going downhill and they will find someone else to blame. I felt bad about the whole situation when I left and even blamed myself, because that's what I do....BUT now I can finally see that what happened to me, happens in all of their stores. I've never failed at any store I've managed and now I can honestly say, I did not fail Petsense, they failed me. Good Riddens......

Not worthwhile
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nowheresville, SomewhereinthemidsouthNovember 12, 2015
I do not recommend this company to anyone, for any reason. First the prices were higher--and continuing to rise higher--than several other pet supply stores. Second, for the staff of various levels, the workload was not balanced, reasonable, or feasible. The company also spent too much time sending emails from the corporate office for the staff to be able to get things on the floor done. Also, as expected from most retail stores, hours were cut if sales were down, forcing certain supervisors to be alone in the store from 8a-3p or longer, meanwhile it is a statewide law that staff must take an off the clock break every 6 hours. 8-3 is 7 hours! Tell me how one is to cashier, do inventory counts, order stock, receive stock, proceed with a ridiculous amount of paperwork for those tasks for 2015, price items, properly take care of customers who are the primary reason for retail stores to be what they are, and take a lunch? All by oneself? I'd have to clock out, for legal purposes, but still help customers if they came in, because there was NO one else there! That's NOT a lunch break. The managers and staff at corporate don't realize what they're doing to their staff, and they don't seem to care when these things are communicated. They turn a blind eye. Also, loading in pallets of literally dozens of 40 lbs bags of dog food is back breaking to do alone. Alone. Did you see the remainder of things to do? I'd spend hours doing the said list of things, and my manager would ask why I had missed an email. The same day, I'd have gotten compliments from customers on how hard I was working,  more... because THEY could see it--the sweat on my face and the quickness to my pace. The place is a joke. They might care about pets, but they don't care about people--customers or staff.  less
Pros
Cons
Ridiculous workload. Slacking management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petsense. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval