Petsense Employee Reviews in United States

Great!
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJuly 25, 2016
Great Place to work if you love Animals in your everyday life! Work staff is always great, teamwork and just overall care for your pets. Learning is simple with their great training and simple computer programs!
Pros
Dogs and Animals, Great Team
Cons
Hours were hard to get had to have a second job
Fun place to work with Animals
Sales Associate- cashier, stock person, cleaner (Current Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCMay 15, 2016
Slow work day putting up stock checking people out. Working with the cats and customers pets that come in and visit us. I learned how to care for pets more and different types of products for peoples animals. Management isn't so bad. They do intend not to be helpful with employees or seem to care about them. My co-workers have their days some people nice or mean towards you. hardest part of work day put up stock on truck days and do the cats. enjoyable part of my day talking with customers and playing with the pets.
Pros
playing with awesome animals and ac when its hot
Cons
not getting help when asked for it
productive and a fun work place.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 20, 2016
I learned a lot of what management is suppose to do and what to expect. I learned about animal diets as well as how to keep your pet happy with the amazing things the store had.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAMarch 20, 2016
On a typical day at work, I was responsible for receiving and stocking merchandise, assisting customers in finding the right products for their animals. I handled the end of day cash balance and made sure that the store was clean for the opening the next day.
Pros
Working with animals, customer service experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
Not enough time given to animal care!!!
Customer Service is first and foremost (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 16, 2016
I have worked at past pet stores, this one is the worst!. I work 4 hours a day, 4 days a week and have less than an hour with the animals. That means if Im lucky, I might get to clean a cage or 2. The Manager does nothing to help with the animals and the key holders like to stay in the office alot. So the animals are neglected untill they are really bad, then they are cleaned. The rescue cats that we house are cared for by me and I Clean bedding water and food every morning. We have a bigger cage that I put them in everyday so they can stretch their legs, I give lots of love, but Im the only one that does this.
Pros
Sort of get to be around animals
Cons
Pay is bad and so is the managment
bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNNovember 27, 2015
worst managers I have ever worked with. could be a great company to work for, if they could train there managers. both store/regional managers were very bad.
Great customers but too small a company without the proper support in a remote location.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NENovember 14, 2015
I would not recommend a management position with this company unless you are willing to work way more than the minimum of 45 hours. There was never any encouragement only criticism from Market Manager. It was a hands on position which is ok but you were not given enough payroll hrs to cover the store in order to do those tasks and sales suffered. You were "hauled on the carpet" for not meeting those goals. I worked in a failing store...it was that way when I was hired and I was expected to perform miracles in turning it around w/o the support. Very high stress with no support.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
No support for management

Comment – December 7, 2015

Reading some of these other reviews since I entered mine, I see that I was not the exception but the rule. I've tried contacting corporate to discuss this situation but they are obviously not interested as I've never received any kind of response. After 35 yrs in retail management, I can say out of experience that this store I worked in will never succeed and I'd be willing to bet it will keep going downhill and they will find someone else to blame. I felt bad about the whole situation when I left and even blamed myself, because that's what I do....BUT now I can finally see that what happened to me, happens in all of their stores. I've never failed at any store I've managed and now I can honestly say, I did not fail Petsense, they failed me. Good Riddens......

Not worthwhile
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nowheresville, SomewhereinthemidsouthNovember 12, 2015
I do not recommend this company to anyone, for any reason. First the prices were higher--and continuing to rise higher--than several other pet supply stores. Second, for the staff of various levels, the workload was not balanced, reasonable, or feasible. The company also spent too much time sending emails from the corporate office for the staff to be able to get things on the floor done. Also, as expected from most retail stores, hours were cut if sales were down, forcing certain supervisors to be alone in the store from 8a-3p or longer, meanwhile it is a statewide law that staff must take an off the clock break every 6 hours. 8-3 is 7 hours! Tell me how one is to cashier, do inventory counts, order stock, receive stock, proceed with a ridiculous amount of paperwork for those tasks for 2015, price items, properly take care of customers who are the primary reason for retail stores to be what they are, and take a lunch? All by oneself? I'd have to clock out, for legal purposes, but still help customers if they came in, because there was NO one else there! That's NOT a lunch break. The managers and staff at corporate don't realize what they're doing to their staff, and they don't seem to care when these things are communicated. They turn a blind eye. Also, loading in pallets of literally dozens of 40 lbs bags of dog food is back breaking to do alone. Alone. Did you see the remainder of things to do? I'd spend hours doing the said list of things, and my manager would ask why I had missed an email. The same day, I'd have gotten compliments from customers on how hard I was working,  more... because THEY could see it--the sweat on my face and the quickness to my pace. The place is a joke. They might care about pets, but they don't care about people--customers or staff.  less
Pros
Cons
Ridiculous workload. Slacking management.
Loved working with the animals
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Palestine, TXNovember 10, 2015
I really enjoyed helping people care for there animals. I liked working with the public. Helping the animals find there forever homes was very rewarding.
Fun & rewarding
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Columbus, ohOctober 2, 2015
Great work environment with the opportunity to advance. I wish I stayed with the company. Great benefits for management.
Pros
advancement
Cons
pay
Fun and enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 24, 2015
A typical day at Petsense you get to see dogs and all kinds if animals. I learned how to be a keyholder and how to be a manger when he was not there. The management was really cool nice to work for it a laid back store to work for. I really enjoy working with my co-workers we are almost like a family we get along with each other. the hardest is picking up the heavy bags of foods I enjoy just being there.
New Corporate location that wasn't given much direction
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXAugust 25, 2015
Mangement did their best with the little bit of information, that they were given from corporate. Most employees worked well together.
Slow advancing
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Tifton, GaAugust 10, 2015
Love my co-workers, but you're not always lucky enough to have co-workers you like. Corporate micro manages so its harder on regular associates. They apparently don't believe in pay raises either.
Pros
Starting wages above minimum.
Cons
No benefits.
A lot of standing around not knowing what to do
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, KYJuly 9, 2015
This up and coming company changed faces many times in my short time with the company. Many of the upper level mangers and directors left for unknown reasons. Another retail company that loads to much work unto the district managers and store managers then gets upset when things aren't completed. The district manager had to much on her plate to effectively control the number of stores she has. I put in for store management or assist management when I first started but upon what I saw I withdrew my resume.
Pros
Paying with dogs
Cons
Boredom, Standing around doing nothing, bad leadership
Bad experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 3, 2015
There are people who have worked with this company and come out with a positive experience. Unfortunately I was not so fortunate. My manager left very abruptly, leaving the store in the hands of our district manager. I was instructed to run the store with almost no training at all while they searched for a new manager. After an extremely stressful three months I was informed that the new manager they had hired had not even shown up to his training, although I was assured that I would have help soon. After 4 total months of 6-7 day work weeks with a few 7am-9pm shifts here and there I had finally decided to address the issue. I let my DM know that I had been operating this whole time with the same pay as a key holder. I was reassured that this would be resolved. I am sent letter by the vice president of operations offering me the position of "manager intern." To this day I'm not totally sure of what that is. Eventually after much more self training I become a store manager. I thought my situation was unique, but at a district manager meeting I find that 3 of the 6 people there had the same exact problems. In conclusion, if you are planning on moving up, some have to claw for a position while others get to stride.
excellent place to work
Retail service associate (Former Employee) –  Ponca City, OKApril 15, 2015
I only worked part-time but the job was stress-free as you were dealing with pet-owners, who are generally very loving people.
Pros
stress-free
Cons
lifting 50 pound of dogfood when you only weigh 100!
Groomer assosiate
Groomer (Current Employee) –  Norton vAMarch 29, 2015
Working with petsense was ok at first. Then the drama rolls in and poor management. They promise you this and that and you don't see it. Benefits are too expensive. The manager has gotten so hard to work for that ppl are quiting. Rules keep changing and the store manager forces the groomers to do more dogs than your comfortable with and she wasn't allowed to do that.( Not sure how she was getting away with that.) Even if your already overbooked. Used to have a bather and mgr took her to register. Was really hard when we had difficult dogs to groom. I wouldn't go back to this place due to the stress of being over worked. Working through lunch and breaks was enough to make you want to just walk out. To stressful of a place to work. You order supplies you need in grooming and takes a month to get them. You try and talk to the store mgr and all she does is bite your head off and no matter the issue. Worst place I've worked by far, all you get its promised lies. Should have stayed with Petsmart if I knew I was gonna get treated worse. Prolly will go back if this doesn't change.......Soon.
Pros
Clients were amazing
Cons
Benefits, poor management, understaffed
Wonderful Company
Key Holder (Shift Manager) (Current Employee) –  Norton, VAFebruary 16, 2015
Petsense is a small business-based retail pet store that specializes mostly in pet supplies more than the sale of pets. I have learned a great deal about customer service and retail management from this company. I worked with several different store managers from surrounding states while we were setting up the store. Corporate offices are always willing and able to help when needed.
Pros
wonderful work environment, excellent management, good pay
Cons
low hours
I worked here part time, not much room for advancement, it's retail and things were always changing
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZDecember 29, 2014
It was honestly just a part time job for me to pick up some extra cash to save up.
Good experience
Employee (Former Employee) –  Hinesville, GAOctober 29, 2014
I was there from the beginning. It is a very fun environment especially if you like animals. Hours varied from week to week. Hours were not promised unless you were management.