PetSmart
1,814 reviews

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Productive and Challenging Workplace Undergoing Change
IS/SUPPLY CHAIN SYSTEMS ANALYST (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 2, 2015
Pros: Onsite Gym and Toastmasters Club
PetSmart Corporate Office is an environment where strategy, team, and leadership penetrate all levels and all roles within the business.
I loved working with the dogs
Groomer/ Receptionist (Former Employee), Chandler, AZJune 1, 2015
Pros: Pet parents being happy seeing the finished product
Cons: Pet parents not knowing what they wanted
It was a very difficult job, very stressful, a parent parent asked for 1 thing, you do it and that really wasn't they wanted. Too late to fix it, but some how I would make it better for them. I never did have an owner bring a dog back for a redo.
Set Management up to fail
Presentation Manager (Former Employee), Weatherford, TXJune 1, 2015
Atmosphere is fun. Loved working around the animals. However the policies and procedures that the management team have to follow is ridiculous. It sets everyone to fail. You will never be able to complete all tasks in the time given.
Fun place to work
Sales Assoc (Former Employee), Magnolia, TXJune 1, 2015
Pros: Wonderful coworkers
Cons: Hard to find spare time
I loved working at petsmart but I couldn't manage working their and going to school full time. I also wanted to find a job in the medical field or in a pharmacy.
fast paced work environment
Call Center Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2015
From the moment I log on in the morning, it is back to back phone calls assisting customers with Support, making Salon and Hotel reservations.
Productive and fun work environment.
Presentation Manager (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COMay 31, 2015
PetSmart is a fun and educational place to work. I started off as a part-time cashier and am currently a Presentation Manager. I work directly under the Store and Operations Managers. There are so many opportunities to grow with the company. A typical day for me would be making sure inventory for the previous day was taken out of the system correctly, stocking the entire store with product and making sure there are no empty shelves so the customers are able to purchase what they need. I am responsible for about 60 employees in my store, so I am always checking the departments to make sure the employees have what they need, that there is a good amount of coverage on the floor and for the customers, and helping in anyway I need to if a problem arises. My employees and fellow managers are always happy to come into work. The morale of the store is always high and if any of my employees every have issues that need resolving, they know they can always come to me and I will help no matter what. Working in a pet store, you get customers with many different questions and problems. That is probably the most difficult AND enjoyable part of my day. Figuring out if a customer needs a certain type of medication or food for an animal with allergies or infections is always a challenge. I want to make sure that I always provide excellent customer service to my customers and get them the product that will benefit them most. The most rewarding aspect is when a customer that I have helped in the past returns to the store just to let me know how much I have helped them and their pet. – more... I have been with this company for six years, and it has been the most exciting, busiest, tedious and all around happiest six years of my adult life. I have learned about inventory control, and the hiring process for recruiting new associates. I have been able to grow my skills in team work, management and time management. This company has helped me in so many different ways to better myself for my next job endeavor. – less
Productive and Active Job
LEAD CASHIER/BATHER-BRUSHER (Current Employee), Hartford, NYMay 31, 2015
Customer service, time management, reviewing products and services with customers, promoting and executing sales.
Decent place to work
Petcare Specialist (Former Employee), East Hanover, NJMay 31, 2015
Pros: Nice location, friendly customers
Decent place to work. The coworkers I had when I was there weren't great. Slacking off on the job wasn't dealt with in a timely fashion and hard-work was often rewarded with having to do the work that others wouldn't do.
PetSmart was a great company to have been employed with
Bather (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working at PetSmart was being able to be part of the customers experience. I learned so many new things at PetSmart having to deal with a lot of different animals.
Hostile environment, poor management
assist customers (Current Employee), Lufkin, TXMay 27, 2015
Management is awful. No one is on the same page. Everyone has drama, poor customer assistance, not very clean, poor groomers in the grooming salon
bad place
Stocker (Former Employee), Stockton CAMay 27, 2015
no where to go you get stuck at the same spot same pay no way to move up in the company without being there your whole life.managers are very stingy and greedy
Great place to work if you love animals
Bather/Brusher (Current Employee), Salem, NHMay 27, 2015
Working in the grooming salon you do meet a lot of new friends. A typical day as a bather would be to look at your schedule of dogs coming in, making sure you stay on time with dogs coming in and out, answering phones, taking walk in services, and reminder calls for next day appointments. I came into the company not knowing anything and now I know how to properly cut and grind a dogs nails, express glands, and the safety precautions of working with animals. You're co-workers and managers become your second family, but I have heard horror stories from other stores of employees not getting along.
A company that is quickly going down the drain.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Stevenson Ranch, CAMay 26, 2015
When I started working at Petsmart in 2010, I was enamored by the company ideals. The store genuinely cared about customer needs, the management treated employees well, and the company knew the key to success was customer satisfaction, not cheap sales gimmicks. As time went on, however, I noticed a change in the dynamic of the store. Instead of being about keeping customers happy, the emphasis changed to badgering them with sales. Unfortunately, the store turned into a numbers game, and I feel the employees and customers suffered because of it. Instead of cheerily getting customers out in a hassle-free environment, cashiers are required to get their email addresses (which is akin to pulling teeth for some of these people), then push specific items that they didn't need, then add something else to their sale. While this is happening, lines would build and there would almost never be anything to help ameliorate the situation of increasingly dissatisfied customers.
All of this would have been perhaps less rage inducing if there was any incentive to go along with this charade. Alas, it took me four years to even get a 75 cent wage increase, despite my always stellar employee reviews. With the wages I received, I could barely afford the gas I used to get there, let alone anything else. If you're trying to advance in the company, forget it. They will cross-train you out of desperation, but they will never actually promote you.

That's not to say the situation is all doom and gloom. I've found the store management to be fair more often than not, and requesting days off is a relatively simple process. The crew is a good crew, although the nature of the company has created a perfect storm of a rotating door of team members.
A good place to get your foot in the door
Pet Trainer (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 26, 2015
Pros: working with animals
Cons: constantly cutting back hours
I learned a great deal about dog training and gained valuable experience. I enjoyed working with dogs and their owners.
the hour where not all that grat but the people where good and the pay was ok
Back room stocker (Former Employee), slam NHMay 26, 2015
get in beteew 0400 and 0600 then move all of the pallets that came off the truck to the floor then off lode the pallets to the shelf s
It was a retail job
Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Washington, MDMay 26, 2015
Petsmart was fun to work for. I enjoyed working with Pet Parents and helping them find something for their pet.

I used to work as a stocker then moved to daytime shifts.. Honestly, the stocking was my favorite part of the job.
Work place environment was fun, caring and productive.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Yuba City, CAMay 25, 2015
petsmart is a great place to work! Everyone including the customers are wonderful to be around. Management cares about your well being and development.Fellow associates all work as a team and are outgoing. Customers are always welcomed with smiles and give them right back.
Tough spot
Store Manager (Current Employee), New YorkMay 25, 2015
Pros: Great quality of life and were able to live mission statement
Cons: Change in ownership had quickly eroded all confidence in the new leadership.
This was a great place to work for a long time. The former executives put a lot in place to actually live the mission that they wanted, which is rare in this industry. The metrics were tough but obtainable. They rewarded well those who performed, and performed consistently. Under the new ownership, there is a lot of concern regarding the direction they are taking the company. The culture of CARE is out the window, and replaced with the typical micromanagement. While there were areas to improve, the Payless-ification of the company will be its downfall.
Fast pace and fun job
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Aliso Viejo, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Picked the hours I wanted
Cons: Minimum Wage
Being a Pet Care Specialist was my first official job. It was very fast pace, always having something that needed to be done. This pace allowed for shifts to go by quickly, and kept me active because I was always doing multiple things. This job strengthened my skills of multi-tasking, communication with customers and coworkers, time management, and problem-solving.
Good College job, not long term.
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Florence, KYMay 22, 2015
Pros: the Animals and people
Cons: little benefits and few hours
Very little employees get 40 hours a week. Not a great job for long term. Best part of the job is my coworkers. My typical day was consumer service.

1 2 3 4 5

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more

PetSmart Salaries