PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,526 reviews matching the search
Great place to learn about grooming
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZMarch 22, 2017
Working in the grooming salon at PetSmart is nice because we're like a little family in the back. All of us have been back there for years and we've really connected. We have each other's backs when it's needed and you can count on your co-workers. I love working with pets all day bit it can be extremely stressful when a dog is difficult. If any incidents happen with cutting or hurting a dog it's heart breaking.
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDMarch 22, 2017
Not sure if it was just the location I worked but management was awful. Preached all these values but then would sit in their office all day and not assist the employees when needed.
Corporate doesn't know what they're doing
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 21, 2017
Ever since the buy out the managers have been micro managing like crazy.. new and stricter policies come up every week and we are constantly getting yelled at for things that didn't matter a month ago. They are on our a55es to sell a product that is overpriced and underperforming. Petsmart doesn't care about the animals anymore, not like they used to. They only care about the dollar signs and the store numbers.

On the flip side I have met a lot of great people at Petsmart outside of the managers that are clearly corporate puppets
Pros
Some full time benefits
Cons
Bad management
Fun company to work for.
Merchandising Inventory Leader (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAMarch 21, 2017
Working with pets and their pet parents is the best part of the job. The culture in the store needs some work. The people I work with make the job worthwhile.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Poor health coverage, poor upper management.
I worked at one of the few good ones left before the buy out.
Bather (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 21, 2017
Too much drama in the salon. Cashiering is easy, the management was nice. Though the grooming manager at the time wasn't even trained to groom. The corporation as a whole is money based and has little care about pets.
Pros
Nice management
Cons
Bad corporation
Productive and fun work place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMarch 21, 2017
I usually produces more work than expected, and often completed my work ahead of schedule. I demonstrated a strong commitment to increasing productivity.
Great Job with Great people
Cashier / Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVMarch 20, 2017
I loved working at petsmart. Petsmart was my first job and gave me an amazing ammount of experience. i enjoyed meeting all the customers and talking about their pets. i also enjoyed the "bather" part of my job at petsmart.
Pros
good pay, plenty of hours, no down time
Cons
management issues, inconsistent hours
Productive and Fun
DC Operations and Fish Health Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 20, 2017
Awesome work place, learning new thing every day, with an excellent wok culture, very diverse work place. Enyoing learning day after day from my peers and associates.
Pros
Excellent culture and senior mangement
Cons
No cons
great place to work
Merchandise Inventory Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 20, 2017
great place to work plenty of opportunity to advance. management was very flexible when working with my schedule. also had great benefits and team work environment was very friendly .
Good place to work.
Leader (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2017
You get to be around animals all day. You are constantly cleaning. You feed the animals and take care of them. It does get stressful at time. Especially during the hoildays.
Great place to work with animals.
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2017
A typical day at work is quite easy and very rarely stressful. You will learn how to handle pets safely and about their products. Management is okay depending on location. Hardest part of the job is to memorize all the product information. Most enjoyable part of the day and its everyday, is playing with the animals and helping pet parent find what they need.
Pros
Easy work, great environment
Good Smart Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJMarch 20, 2017
Strong structure and resources. The store support group was available any time and very dedicated. Safety and culture was the most important aspect of daily routine.
Pros
Strong leadership and developed plan
Cons
revolving door at DM level
A Company that prides itself on outstanding customer service
Certified Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAMarch 20, 2017
What's not to love about working at PetSmart? I get to work with and care for animals every day! I enjoy working for a company that prides itself on providing outstanding customer service. PetSmart goes above and beyond in ensuring that every Pet Parent leaves their stores feeling confident that they have received proper care and quality products for their pets. I also enjoy caring for the animals in the store, learning about their needs and sharing my knowledge with others so that every pet receives the proper care.
Pros
Great work environment
Good workplace
Stocker / Bather (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHMarch 19, 2017
I loved working at Petsmart. Everyone was very nice. I made some very good friends while working at Petsmart. I loved being a bether in the salon and working with the dogs.
Good place to work for first time jobseekers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYMarch 17, 2017
This was overall a great experience for me especially a my first job PetSmart was definitely a place to get used to, learning different ways to work like the register and stocking and gathering carts at closing was definitely something to get used to, especially being in high school at the time. Overall a good experience working here.
Pros
Sweet employees, friends
Cons
Short breaks, benefits
fun and challenging pet friendly work environment
Groomer (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXMarch 17, 2017
As a groomer, a day starts with a list of up to 10 dogs (per groomer) to bath, dry, and groom in a timely manner. Time management is important. Some dogs have a specific early pick up time, others were scheduled for after work pick up. There is very little time for a break. Often the grooming process is slowed or paused for any number of reasons: pet parent client check in, pet parent product consultations, aggressive and/or undisciplined pet behavior. Management was somewhat lax in the salon. The team of groomers got along well. Each groomer had their own pet client list. Groomers paused personal work to help fellow groomers with challenging dogs. It was a necessary protection not only to the dog, but also the groomer. Dogs dispositions change when they are faced with unfamiliar environments, loud noises, and uncomfortable tools cutting near their faces.
Productive and fun
DOG TRAINING INSTRUCTOR/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 17, 2017
Petsmart was a fun job to have. I loved being a dog trainer. The people were great and I loved my customers. I learned a lot about training as well as about dog breeds and other animals. The store was very clean. And the employees were very helpful, always willing to lend a hand. The customers were the best and it was always fun when they brought in their dogs, whether for training, grooming, or just a day of shopping.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Healthcare
Great place to work.
Distribution Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 17, 2017
I was on a great team that traveled to all of the distribution centers throughout the year. My manager was always there to assist me with whatever I needed. Workplace culture was mostly good, however there was a bonus that we competed for and I didn't see that as fair to all of the people on the supply chain team.
Pros
Travel, compensation, bring your pets to work
Picker (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAMarch 17, 2017
Come to work on time do your job make it a family environment get along with your peers and higher up and perform all work duties and everything will work out
Pros
Job dinners
Cons
Short breaks
Fun, Fast paced workplace
Petstylist (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NY 14127March 16, 2017
Petsmart is a fast paced environment that always keeps you on your toes. It promotes confidence and courtesy with customers and co-workers alike. They always put quality over quantity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.