PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 2,184 reviews matching the search
Terrible management
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hills, PAFebruary 1, 2014
A typical day at work for the pet products manager, was arriving at the location at approximately 3:50am to let the rest of the team into the building to begin work. This would consist of a little bit of paperwork, while your team moves displays and pulls out the pallets, working, with the team to unload all pallets, stock shelves, move overstock into places, and correct wrong overstock placement from the previous evening. The next person comes in around 7:45.

I would like to state before you read the rest of this: I LOVED my job. The reason I left so quickly was because of the upper management within the store. The general manager and the operational manager became some of the most awful people I have ever met, but they weren't always that way.

When I first accepted the job, I was very excited to be working there with them. They were both very nice, even leaving me cute “welcome to the family” notes. I was in heaven. I felt like I had finally made it to a place where I belonged. But during my first few weeks all of my coworkers told me about the two upper managers and about how awful they were, a few of the girls even told me to run! I laughed them off and assured them that they were really nice to me and I would keep an eye out. Then, about 3 weeks in they started being short with me, after that downright rude, even mean.
The Operations Manager actually shut a door in my face while I asked her for help one day. Another example, I had used a forklift at my previous job so I was well aware of the rules, precautions, and general operation. The Operations Manager was in the
  more... stock room with me arguing with me about the height at which to have my forks raised. She wanted them up about a foot off the ground. I kept disagreeing with her and finally, I gave in. As I was pulling pallets out of the truck, the General Manager then came back. She started screaming at me asking me why on earth I would have my forks that high. During the shouting the Operations Manager slipped out while neither of us were looking. I replied that the Operations Manager had asked me to do it that way and that I was abiding. When I turned to get her to agree she was gone. She had not stuck around to have my back.

The General Manager on the other hand was not so much as rude, but downright mean. She continually berated me in front of my team. She cut my team down from four to two, and demanded that not only that I keep up the level of quality work we were doing but we do it in less time than the four of us took. She would continually embarrass and emasculate one of the men on my team (i.e. the only member of my team I had left).

Finally, I had enough; I called the corporate hotline, which is a third party HR company, about what was going on there. I mean really, not only did they leave me feeling awful, they were verbally brutalizing my team, and they continually left the pet care girls crying in their wake. I felt like they had to be stopped. I called, left my message, even told them to look at the recent People Pulse review they had had. After another week, I called back to see what they were going to do and I was told, “They haven’t left notes asking for any further material so it is under review.” I then called the following week and was told the same message. In the mean time, I started to ask around as to why the person before me had left, the standard reply was that the man before me had gone through the same thing. I waited and called after a third week and was then told, “nothing has been posted” and with that I hung up. I went in the next day and put in my two weeks notice. After letting everyone know that I was leaving, a few of the girls told me they had called corporate in the last few weeks as well because they also felt mistreated. So, this third party company received not one but several complaints about two members of their management team and they did nothing about it. It’s sad really. I looked though the HR email the store received once a month and found out that I was the 14th person to have left that year, only 1 of those were fired. For reference, I left during the first week of October.
Pros
great pay, nice benefits, bonuses, petting puppies, its a work out
Cons
rude management, terrible hr department, weird hours, continued work in sweaty clothes
Excellent place for retail work.
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northville, MIAugust 18, 2015
For a typical day, which was for me a closing shift in the Pet Care Department, I would 'do my rounds' and check the animals for food, water, health, proper sign-age, habitat display, etc., as well as assist customers throughout the day. I would also spend time cleaning up messes, scrubbing tanks, organizing the department, as well as backing up cashiers, and occasionally getting carts. I would break for lunch, repeat all that stuff I just mentioned, then go home.
I learned that my favorite part of working at a pet store wasn't the animals, although that was a huge chunk of it, it was working with the customers. I LOVE interacting with people, especially educating them on the proper care of their pets. I quickly found out that if it didn't bark or meow, people often had no idea what the flip they were doing to take care of their pet, to put it crudely. So, I really got into reading books and magazines on those various types of pets to really provide them with the best possible knowledge to do so.
With a couple of exceptions that are now all thankfully gone, I got along great with the management. I personally had very few problems with them, save for some that had poor attitudes or who just tanked at interfacing with people politely.
Co-workers at my location are super-crazy awesome. With one exception or two, everyone has been real nice and easy to work with. There's a great sense of teamwork in my department, especially.
The absolute hardest part of my job was getting people to give two schrumps about caring for goldfish the proper way! It
  more... may sound silly to you, but for someone who cares greatly for animals, it's maddening to see people over-indulge the schrump out of dogs and cats and refuse to see goldfish as a pet instead of a cheap, disposable commodity that is undeserving of having money spent on them for the proper care they deserve. I cringe whenever anybody, especially a family, came in to look at goldfish because I knew that I had the odds stacked against me that they would listen to my explanation as to why goldfish bowls are bad and why treating them as they would any other fish and putting them in a properly-sized fish tank would be the correct way to care for them. Instead, the typical response I got was apathetic indifference and the insistence that they are not a creature deserving of proper care, but rather a temporary amusement for their child, whose banal needs were more important than that of a living thing's quality of life. I use the term 'temporary' here to mean both the child's fleeting interest in the pet as well as the short-lived life of the animal, doomed to languish in a bowl because the parent was more concerned for their pocket book being full rather than the creatures quantity and quality of life. But I digress. . .
Besides having grateful customers take my advice on pet care to heart and follow it, no greater high for me was when people didn't want to torture goldfish and instead actually kept them as pets! They listened to my advice, treated them like deserving beings, and actually bought a properly-sized fish tank and kept them for, what surprised the schrump out of them, years! Seriously, it made me want to do cartwheels! Unfortunately, this phenomenon is extremely rare.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, great work environment, working with pets.
Cons
Customers not caring about goldfish and having to sell them to them knowing that, over and over again.
A Season Dog Watcher.
Guest Service Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAFebruary 25, 2015
When I first went into this interview it was just as a seasonal Cashier position but when I got to talking with the manager I told her about my interest in hotels and she was really excited that I wanted to work in that area. 5 minutes into the interview I was already told that she liked me and we went over to the hotel in the store to take a tour of the place. It was really amazing that I would be able to get hotel experience and work with some of my favorite animals.

I was offered the job the same day to work at the front desk but I just needed to take a urinalysis to make sure that I was drug free. I was fine with that and did it the same day and called up the manager (this was on a Thursday). That Sunday was my first day of training and it was really interesting.

Now my job as a Guest Service Associate varied depending on what time my shift was but here's the run down. Getting there in the early morning meant that I would go through the paperwork that the previous night had done. Going through Master Boarding Agreements (MBA) to ensure everything is correct and update it in the TouchPoint system. This time is also the heaviest time in regards to check-ins because most people drop their dogs off for Doggy Day Camp so they can go to work. The check in goes something like this:

If the Pet Parent (PP) is a regular we already know the name and dog so we do a quick look-up and pull out the paperwork. We go over what the pet will do for the day, if they'll be fed, if they have medications, what time they'll get picked up and do a quick check of the pet to make sure everything
  more... is in order. Then we print out a service card, inventory the items that they brought and by this time the pet is already in the back.

After the main host of PP come in we go through confirmation calls to ensure the PP is knows about our policy on vaccines, if they need a new MBA and to ensure the dates of their pet's stay. Once the calls are done we make set packets to ensure whomever does the check-ins knows of any special circumstances like if the PP is bringing in medication, if the dog is individual or group play and if they need updated vaccines or MBA.

When the set packets and confirmation calls are done then it goes onto writing the PAWgress Reports for both cats and dogs. This is a record of how the pet liked their stay and has a comment section for the Pet Care Specialist to make notes but can also be done by the Guest Service Associate if it's too busy in the back. It goes over how playful the pet was, if they ate all their food, if they had trouble going potty and a sort of general behavior or if they made any friends during their stay.

I'll say that this is one of the more favorite jobs that I've worked before and the people were really great. Every time I went to work we'd great each other and have a little small talk and there was even a holiday pot luck while I was here as well because everyone ended up working a short shift on Christmas. My favorite thing to learn about was TouchPoint because I've been wanting to get into hotels and this was a little taste of what to expect with a check-in system. Overall it was a fun job and I'm a little sad that it ended because I was only there for the holiday season.
Pros
great co-workers, working with pets is great, connecting with people in a different way.
Cons
pay was just over minimum wage, hours died down near the end to only work a couple days a week, some pet parents were very rude.
Great place to get to work with animals, not the best management
Day/Overnight Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 23, 2015
I loved working with the cats and dogs, I started out doing overnight in the hotel which I didn't mind, and then got switched to day shift which I was pretty psyched about. When I first started, I would wake up looking forward to going! It all seemed almost perfect at first, but I realized that was because the hotel manager wasn't there pretty much my first 4 months there, she always called out with some reason or another, and right when I started was when she promoted one of the employees to assistant manager, and pretty much made the assistant manager run the place the whole time I was there, even on days the manager did come in, she did nothing and more often than not, ended up crying and/or leaving. Then to make things better, I got my 3 month review finally (during my 5th month there) and even the assistant manager reminded me when she handed it to me (bc of course the manager wasn't there) that she didn't write it, the manager did, which immediately made me uneasy. Once I read it, and got my oh so amazing raise of 10 cents, I, and my coworkers, noticed that she pretty much just guessed on the majority of the review because she wasn't there to actually properly observe me, which was her job. And now to get to the nitty gritty: the holidays....the hotel and management was so unorganized, they expected things of you that you had no clue how to do bc you were Never trained for it, management would get so overwhelmed that they would turn nasty and more often than not they would tell at us when they lost their cool. At times, when we're almost at max capacity (which is 200 animals  more... and we would get up to 197, so you'd think they'd have it a bit more under control if they expect to be able to take care of that many!) and we were getting meals ready for whoever was boarding, some tags didn't have the room # of the pet, and so when I would ask, the 2 answers I would get were: "I dunno" or "oh I forgot they were here" and those would come from management most of the time, and we always had regulars, every now and then a new dog or cat, but rarely. Also, there would be times where the manager would screw up the schedule and understaff us during holidays and busy times (but of course she wouldn't be there) and you would end up not getting your break. Oh, and you also don't get a break if you work a 4 hour shift. After a while, I would get so stressed just thinking about having to go in, my boyfriend kept telling me I needed to quit because it was taking a huge toll on me mentally. Eventually I had put myself through so much mental and physical damage with that place, I knew I deserved better, so I quit. Come to find out, after I left, things got worse, moist of the employees quit, and the assistant manager left to work the Banfield clinic in the same store, it got to the point where if one more person quit, they wouldn't have enough employees and would have to shut down for a while. They couldn't keep any of their new hires for more than 3 days. Honestly, I would go back in a heartbeat if it were under new management, but for now, I'm not holding my breath.  less
Pros
Get to be around animals, decent pay.
Cons
Management was awful, sometimes you didn't get a break, very unorganized.
Relative to interests, needs improved management standards.
Pet Care Specialist/ Retail (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 11, 2013
My career at PetSmart was that of a "Petcare Specialist". We were trained and responsible for the diet, hygiene, health, habitat upkeep of animals, as well as proper resource and education distribution. As well as daily corporate reports evaluating the "expiration" of any animal, health and conditions.
Every morning before opening we would begin the feeding regimen; this was divided into animal groups (reptiles, birds, fish, small animals) to ensure no feeding contamination took place and were usually accomplished by two specialists. Duties each morning included proper diet administration, inspection of habitats for sick, injured or dead animals, proper cleaning and rearranging of habitat, internal habitat temperature/humidity, minor veterinary care and reports of quarantined sick/injured animals and management of Petcare Specialist employee logs.
Each Petcare Specialist is required to undergo extensive training pertaining to health and habitat standards, as well as the completion of many mandatory tests. Proper procedures must be adhered to at all times, any feeding, use of medicines, and access to certain sensitive areas are signed and recorded by every associate before and after use.
Many of my coworkers were animal-enthusiasts, volunteers at local shelters and even local school teachers. We were passionate about our job, always doing our best to preserve the happiness and health of the animals in our charge. Oversights or mistakes were always quickly ironed out, and we made sure to support each-other as a team.
I left the store, after four of my fellow Petcare Specialists,
  more... due to improper management and concerns over the animals' health. The newly assigned Manager of our Department, and of all Petcare Specialists, had failed the required tests and had not undergone any related pet-care training. Over the next month my coworkers and I began to notice gross violations such as gaps in sign in/sign out logs, improper administration of medical treatment to animals, an increase in preventable deaths and constant neglect in relation to habitat health. These issues were made known to upper management levels, however no actions to rectify the situation were made.
The most difficult part of the job involved ethics; it is difficult to report the daily deaths of any living thing. Each animal that passed away required a three-page clinical report to corporate offices. These reports themselves were very simple and straight-forward, however as time progressed and the reports grew in number, it became a difficult task.
Being able to bond with the animals and like-minded people added to the work environment. You became invested in the lives of so many living things, nurturing and caring for what you hoped would someday become part of someone's family. You saw new and old faces daily, worked the entire day to ensure a stable environment and provided your customers with an extensive knowledge that may have otherwise remained unknown.
Pros
busy environment, animal interaction
Cons
management oversight, can be demoralizing
Do not work for Petsmart. Do not take your pet there.
professional bather (Former Employee) –  Glendale, COMay 25, 2012
I first applied to Petsmart back in 2005, but wasn't hired because even though they liked me they hadn't made enough sales so that store couldn't hire me. A couple years later I worked at PetCo until I moved and had to quit. In 2008 I applied to Petsmart again as an experienced bather/brusher for their grooming salon. I told them upon hiring that I did not want to go through their grooming program. I knew other people who had worked in grooming at Petsmart and I had no interest in becoming a groomer for them.
I had to repeatedly call back to find out when I started work after I was already told I had been hired. When I finally got to go to work, I was in "training" for a week before I ever went into the grooming salon. During this time I was even put on the cash register when they were short-handed. During the time I worked there, I was full-time and would work up to twelve days straight.
At PetCo I was paid minimum wage, but made commission if it was over what I made hourly. At Petsmart I only got paid hourly, no commission. I did not get my own clients, did not get to choose how my dogs were scheduled and was required to drop everything to help the groomers. Many dogs I was perfectly capable of doing were taken by the groomers because they cost more so the groomer wanted the commission.
The products in the salon were low grade. They didn't even have any sensitive, non-scented shampoos and were missing many other standard products I used at Petco. I had to bring all my own supplies from my old job. There were no actual tubs to wash the dogs in. The shampoos were put into a
  more... sprayer system which was very wasteful and did not clean the dogs well.
The bathers were forced into the grooming program whether they wanted to or not. The groomers were miserable and not well trained. I felt more knowledgeable and capable than my "seniors" coworkers.
While I worked at PetCo, we would often get customers from Petsmart who needed us to redo their groom or were turned away for some reason. Many of the horror stories I heard from customers about the grooming at Petsmart were proven true. They did not know how to handle dogs. Many times I had to take over someone else's dog because they could not handle it.
One time there was a pembroke welsh corgi, apparently notorious for not liking his nails done said my coworker. This dog was so fearful of these people it fled it's cage when my coworker took it out to get it's bath and ran away from everyone, biting at anyone who came near. They were about to use a dog catcher's pole and bite gloves to get the corgi. I simply sat on the floor and let the dog come to me, then put it in the bath for the girl who was suppose to be washing him. Not two minutes later, the girl called me back because the corgi wouldn't let her touch him. I ended up doing the entire bath myself and got his nails done without a problem.
After three weeks I was fired without warning. Of course they waited until I got to work then immediately sent me home. When I applied for unemployment, it took two months for them to reject it citing I was fired for insubordination.
Fast-paced environment with large focus on care for associates and pet parents.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAOctober 26, 2013
At PetSmart our team continuously strived to perform better than the day before. Our performance did not just depend on meeting our sales numbers, but our ability to be good leaders. Our district focused on coaching our sales associates in order to help them reach their highest potential thereby creating a work environment that proved beneficial for the associates, managers and ultimately the pet parents. As an Operations Manager I was responsible to maintain the store's operations, including assisting all sales associates with issues or questions, store maintenance, and ordering store supplies, while staying within a budget. In addition, coordinate payroll for a staff of 35 to ensure that hours, commission, holiday, vacation and sick time were applied accordingly.

I worked very closely with a team of six managers, the Store Director being one of them. As second in command, I was responsible for each Department Manager and had to ensure that each manager was following all policies and procedures. As a team, we worked together to figure out how to be more productive under the strict guidelines we were under. The Policies and Procedures needed in a retail environment were difficult to work under given the outcome that was expected. This made it a unique challenge to complete tasks assigned to Operations Manager while also acting as customer service. While I feel that one of my strengths is multi-tasking, this was an area of the position that proved to be a stressful challenge every day.

I enjoyed working with the management team to develop better strategies which would ultimately
  more... lead to success or an area of opportunity. In addition to working with the management team, I thoroughly enjoyed working with the sales associates. As Operations Managers I was also responsible to provide a caring work environment for the sales associates and I enjoyed that very much. Through the CARE initiative I was able to focus more on the development of each associate and develop their skills in critical thinking, problem solving and general customer service skills. I was also able to work on more of the fun aspect such as redesigning the break room and providing recognition rewards.

Throughout this position I developed leadership skills that I feel are very unique. Given the work environment, I was able to learn how to lead sales associates and a team of managers. I was also appointed to a six-member District Development Committee and learned how to teach other Operations Managers as well as Store Managers different Leadership Techniques. In addition to Leadership skills, I also further developed my skills in multi-tasking, team work and responsibility. In addition, I gained skills in talent searching, developing and implementing action plans, coordinating payroll and scheduling.
Pros
freedom to encourage and inspire within petsmart guidelines
Cons
ten to twelve hour days, work on holidays.
Good for a student that required flexible hours
Petcare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 21, 2015
I've been working here for about 3 years as a Petcare Specialist for the PetsHotel. I've never been interested in moving up because I am a full-time student, had a second part-time job and additional volunteer work. I kept this job because it was very stable, and very flexible in my hours and they paid the bills. I like my coworkers for the most part, so it was a good fit for me.

I love working with the animals, and sometimes it really is great to have dozens of dogs to just cuddle. However, that said, it is a very MESSY job. You will basically be picking up #2's all day. Cleaning is important, and it is necessary to pay attention. It's not really a job you can kinda skate by on, because the dogs/cats lives are directly affected. I personally don't mind the messiness, and I just like caring for animals in general. Some others are more grossed out, so beware.

Its very physically demanding, since I get dragged around by dogs on leashes all day long, run back and forth across the facility, and occasionally have to restrain dogs. Plus though is that it's generally not boring since there's so much to do.

Management is variable. I've had fantastic supervisors that I absolutely loved and it made the job great. My manager was great and very accommodating to my schedule and any days I needed off. She recently left the company, so we shall see if that continues. That said, I've had terrible supervisors as well. People who go on power trips, force us to work later than scheduled when things are too busy, then chastise us for not so great work: basically a "can do
  more... no right" sort of environment. I almost quit in those few months. (I don't mind extra work... but maybe not for a minimum wage retail sort of job!)

Talking to coworkers from different stores it really boils down to the individual store. Each hotel is run differently, as they are all not built the same, (individual kennels vs. play space), or have the same clientele (busy w/ lots of boarding vs. day to day daycampers). Corporate will try to implement different rules, but they generally don't make any sense. Corporate attempts to run the Hotels like the retail store, but again, that doesn't work well. They want everything run in a specific way all of the time, but unfortunately working with animals and clients in this way means that every day is different and unpredictable. A good manager will make or break this job. Management is not well trained on how to be good managers, so there tends to be people who either become too authoritarian, or are too friendly with their employees.

If you're looking to move up, I've seen lots of coworkers move up in this job. Mostly by being friends with the management. One downside is that they are very cliquey and political. You have to be friends and play the game, which is sort've annoying.
Pros
flexible hours, nice coworkers
Cons
on your feet all the time, bad management
Never forget that PetSmart is in the business to SELL
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CaliforniaOctober 18, 2012
I know many people will say you get to play with animals all day. That they learned a lot about animals. But I have a degree in Animal Science ( and worked at a PetSmart for two years for fun. You may think you learned a lot but most of it is wrong. You learned how to sell. PetSmart is extremely successful at marketing and hiring young 20 somethings that can be molded into the PetSmart philosophy which is not necessary the right philosophy. PetSmart is also expert at protecting themselves legally as far as employment laws but not so good at following its own policies within the store. It is an awesome job for a young person but certainly not a career move unless you are interested in corporate stuff. If you are interested in truly caring about animals ...this is a business people! Pets are a huge marketing niche right now and PetSmart is running with it. Smart business move but don't fool yourself that you are actually 'saving' lives as their moto says. Their trainers are useless, on average, and aren't allowed to train any dogs with 'real' problems so what lives are they saving? Oh..that's right..they donate money to animal groups and allow them to adopt out animals through their stores. That actually gets customers in to the store...its not all altruistic. You can not, or should not, take some 20 year old person with no background and have them sit through some PetSmart training classes over a period of two weeks and then suddenly hand them a classroom! That is cruelty to dogs in my book because that person has no clue about the psychology behind any of it. They have weekly  more... sales goals that they have to make as far as signing up dogs for classes and they make commissions on those sales. Groomers have to do whatever to please the customer even if it means shaving a dog to the skin that needs its coat for insulation. So PetSmart is extremely hypocritical in a large variety of ways. You may not notice them until you've worked there a bit. BTW, drama is also a HUGE part of the ambiance at PetSmart due to the average age of managers and employees. Don't fool yourself into thinking you will put up with it long enough to advance and then help change things. Advancement is almost nonexistent in this corporation and is completely unavailable to trainers. They also do NOT provide any kind of ongoing education which explains why PetSmart employees spread so much misinformation to unsuspecting customers but they do it so sweetly the customer is actually appreciate for the misdirection.  less
Pros
good place to learn communication and sales techniques
Cons
hypocritical and not really saving lives.
decent part-time job
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCFebruary 10, 2014
I worked in the pet care department, so a typical day was bagging fish and crickets for customers, assisting them and answering any questions they had about any of the animals we sold. I was mainly a closer, so for closing we misted all the reptiles, make sure everyones water bottles and food bowls are filled, change any bedding that looks like it needs to be changed, also you medicate the sick animals, keep up with each of their charts and write down their progress. You also keep up with food and water for the animals in the new arrival room.
My store specifically really focused on customer service, I learned a lot about putting the customers first, greeting everybody with a smile, they really held us to a high standard. I also learned about all the animals in our care, and then some. Customers taught me alot too, about animals that we dont even sell.
Management was okay, the GM was very fake and tried to play all the managers against eachother. A couple of the managers who are in their 20's buddied up and you would catch them sitting in the office for hours at a time just chatting, but the second they saw you not working, they would yell at you. If everything in the Pet Care department wasnt perfect, you would get yelled at, they acted like we were idiots if we messed up. Definitely very nit-picky.
Hardest part of the job was getting yelled at if something wasn't perfect. Also, a lot of the time it was pretty dead in the store, never really picks up till around 5. So a lot of the time I was walking around bored, so time went by VERY slow. Also dealing with customers who were
  more... mad, or who wouldn't take your word for anything. We were allowed to refuse a sale of an animal if we don't think the animal's living conditions or whatever were what they needed to be, so management definitely had to step in a few times to handle irate customers.
It's impossible to get a full-time position there without being a manager or dog groomer, so part time employees could only be shceduled a max of 28 hours/week. But most everyone's hours ranged between 20-25. If your looking to make money and pay bills, its probably not the job for you. Overall I quit because it got boring after a while, dealing with the same animals day after day. Hamsters and birds, etc become very boring! Also I felt like there was never anything to do if the store was dead, and you couldn't start closing duties till way later, so time went by very slow. If your the type that always needs something to be doing, it may not be the job for you.
Pros
good benefits, steady raises
Cons
management, short breaks
Ran out by groomers
Bather/ Pet stylist trainee (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MdSeptember 15, 2013
Its been my dream for years to attend grooming school, and I am in school now, but before it came to this petsmart hired me as a bather with the intentions of sending me to grooming school after a 60 day probationary period as a bather (standard practice).

I worked in a very high volume fast paced salon where most of the groomers were very young (under 24), and most had the potential to make 6 figures a year.

I guess the mistake that I made was telling them that I was hired to goto school. They immediately told me that I wouldn't be a groomer because they didn't want or need any more groomers because that meant that they would all make less money.

What I witnessed was then an extreme hazing period during which time they tried to get me to quit. They were all extremely nasty and mean... sprayed me with water I "accidentally", and verbally harassed me most days...not a day went by when they weren't vocal about "hey guys we don't need any more groomers do we?"... when I walked into the room.

It was a VERY HOSTILE work environment.

The salon manager was rarely there and when she was offered no support and was in her own little world most of the time.. not interested in my little problems with her employees.

So they finally refused to let up when I refused to quit, and accused me of animal cruelty and hitting a dog off of the camera.

At that point management had had so many problems with their groomers running out potential school candidates (as I had been telling them everything going on) so they transferred in a groomer from a slower store, much to the dismay of the other
  more... groomers, and told me that they had to "immediately take me off of the schedule" because of the animal cruelty accusations, and that I wouldn't even be allowed to go near the gold fish from then on out as a result.

They said they'd call to retrain me for another position....but of course they never did.

This is a horrible company to work for, and I would never recommend it to anyone. I also won't be giving them my business EVER from now on.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
extreme salon competitiveness, nasty coworkers, mean managers, very little training, high stress, highly competitive work environment, wrongful termination
This place was a good company and I did not want to leave as soon as I did.
Pet Care Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 13, 2012
Going into work at Petsmart was one of my favorite jobs ever. I started out as a stocker then became Lead stocker after 4 months, that was until I hurt my back in when I was out at training in my guard unit.Then I was transferred into the petcare department and learned about fish and hamsters. I learned all the needs of the animals in that department. I was already a bird specialist as I bred them for several years, so I became the expert on every animal we carried. I still am more knowledgeable about animals to this day. I was trained in learning how to do epog's ( electronic planograms) which was very easy and I began to do them frequently and very often. I was a stickler for presentation and wanted to go into that position, but was denied several times from having an upfront attitude.I didn't sugar coat things like most people do. The hardest part of working for this company was there time management. They did not give the proper scheduling for customer service in certain areas of the store that was necessary to keep customers satisfied with their needs.The manager was never there enough to see what was needed for the weekly schedule.It was hard being the only one in the section when you had fifteen people waiting to be helped for live fish, crickets, hamsters, etc. The complaining on staff happened quite often and was not changed. It wasn't the complaining on the person in the section it was for the understaffing of the section itself. I did like and get along with all my co-workers, but yet there is always one you don't get along with. I had became Lead in my section after  more... 8 months in the section and it at first was a little hard telling the co-workers something needed to get done and it not get done,but it all came easy after a few months and went pretty well. The most thing i enjoyed working here was the people I got to meet everyday. I was able to help them with their needs and see them leaving happy. I got to meet a few people that are still my friends even to this day even after being out of PetSmart. All in all it was one of the best companies I have worked for.  less
Horrible job experience
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Okemos MIApril 10, 2013
Hours: I was first given about 30 hours a week, then suddenly, without notice was cut down to 3 a week (and having to drive 30 miles to and from work). When asking my manager why my hours were cut, they stated there was no work.

Over staffed: While being told there was no work, therefore they were cutting hours, they hired more people and cut everyone's hours more.

Schedule: One night I would work 5pm to 2am, the next I would work 3am to 10am. At least until they cut the hours back. There was no set schedule, and was horrible for a sleep schedule.

Breaks: The company requires you to take breaks. This is great if you have an 8 hour shift. However when given a 4 hour shift, they require you to take a 30 minute break instead of letting you leave 30 minutes early.

Poor training: While an employee, I purchased a tetra for my community tetra tank. The fish department assured me that the serpae tetra was a community fish, even their little sign said the same. After being in my tank for a few hours they killed my female beta, and three of my tetras. Upon further research online serpae tetra are territorial fish. I informed the manager who refused to replace my beta or my tetras at their fault. They did let me return the serpae fish that I had placed back into their small travel container.

Pay: At times, PetSmart hires outside companies to merchandise their products, they pay $10 an hour to these workers. I worked for one of these outside companies and it was much better than doing the work for $7.60 an hour.

Management: It was rather confusing when there was three managers. There
  more... were times that each manager would say three different things. I sent the managers to go talk to one another, then report back to me.

Over all having to lift 50 pound bags of dog food, and plow though a 7 foot tall pallet in under 30 minutes was not worth it for minimum wage. I can see someone strong being able to accomplish this, but at 103 lbs it was rather impossible. The three months I was here it was horrible. I also find that the turn over rate is rather high. To me, this says something.
Pros
guaranteed breaks, set raises
Cons
lack of management, low pay
Enjoyable work environment, though not enough hours/pay for bills
Stocker/Petcare Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALSeptember 14, 2015
To make enough money to really support yourself working at Petsmart, you really need to be a full-time associate-- this means being a dog trainer, a certified groomer, or a manager of some kind. A regular part-time associate would need another job or supplimental income to pay regular bills.

That being said, I really enjoy working for Petsmart. The managers know when to be friends and when to be managers; that is, they're friendly and never overbearing, though they can be strict and know how to get work done when the need arises. The store that I work for, at least, hires competent associates who know how to pull their own weight. Working with animals provides for a unique and enjoyable retail environment in which you handle birds, hamsters, lizards, and snakes on a regular basis-- I even had the opportunity to interact with a guest's pet spider monkey! Though there are boring shifts and uneventful days, there are also exciting opportunities and I am able to teach countless guests of ours how to properly care for their pets.

I was also surprised at how well the store cares for its animals-- of course I had heard horror stories of animal cruelty, but everyone I've met during my time as a petcare associate seems to genuinely love and care about the animals we have. Vet appointments are regularly scheduled for any animal that needs them, and any sick animals are isolated to prevent possible contagious diseases from spreading; latex gloves, face masks, goggles, and nylon aprons are all readily available when they're needed.

Though I can't see myself spending the rest of
  more... my working life at Petsmart (or, realistically, any very lengthy amount of time), it's definitely a job I'd reccomend to someone who wants a retail or pet store experience.  less
Pros
Working with animals, paid fifteen-minute breaks, having puppies/kittens around constantly, meeting interesting people, clean break room with vending machines/lockers/fridge/microwave/sink
Cons
Pay could be better, would prefer a full-time position
High Stressed/Volume Work Environment undergoing major changes since buyout.
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJAugust 23, 2015
I've been working at PetSmart for two years and I wish I still worked with the team I began with. In just two short years, the company has undergone major changes including a buyout. There is no longer managers in our stores. We have "leaders". Each leader is different and some more difficult to work with than others. It all depends on luck of the draw and how the changes with the store are impacting them personally. Many expectations have been raised without fixing minimal issues in the store before implementing new policies. Where once we worked for the love of pets, we now work to meet numbers and I believe the company is going through a rough patch. One can only hope the road smoothes over soon. Overall the company is not bad to work for as long as you stay on top of yourself. In the first year you get three raises: three months, six months, and one year. Afterwards you get a yearly raise based on performance. My co-workers are all very knowledgable and the amount of facts and information you come to pick up on is amazing. The hardest part of the job is building a tough skin. Retail can break a person who cannot deal with repetitive actions and sayings and dealing with certain customers who will do anything to get a "good deal" while working high volume and fast-paced days. The most enjoyable part of my job is the connections I make not only with my co-workers but with my customers and their pets. I have people who only come back just to see me and ask me about my day. When I graduated school one of them even bought me a present. (Which we are allowed to accept so long as  more... it fits in the qualifications in our handbook.) Overall I would say working for PetSmart is slightly better than working in other retail stores.  less
Pros
Associate lunches during the holidays, 15% discount, coupons for company brand food, and co-workers
Cons
Fighting for your breaks, being forced to go into Petcare if you are not comfortable with insects and reptiles, changes in company, and high turnover rate of employees
Productive and fun work environment.
Presentation Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 31, 2015
PetSmart is a fun and educational place to work. I started off as a part-time cashier and am currently a Presentation Manager. I work directly under the Store and Operations Managers. There are so many opportunities to grow with the company. A typical day for me would be making sure inventory for the previous day was taken out of the system correctly, stocking the entire store with product and making sure there are no empty shelves so the customers are able to purchase what they need. I am responsible for about 60 employees in my store, so I am always checking the departments to make sure the employees have what they need, that there is a good amount of coverage on the floor and for the customers, and helping in anyway I need to if a problem arises. My employees and fellow managers are always happy to come into work. The morale of the store is always high and if any of my employees every have issues that need resolving, they know they can always come to me and I will help no matter what. Working in a pet store, you get customers with many different questions and problems. That is probably the most difficult AND enjoyable part of my day. Figuring out if a customer needs a certain type of medication or food for an animal with allergies or infections is always a challenge. I want to make sure that I always provide excellent customer service to my customers and get them the product that will benefit them most. The most rewarding aspect is when a customer that I have helped in the past returns to the store just to let me know how much I have helped them and their pet.  more... I have been with this company for six years, and it has been the most exciting, busiest, tedious and all around happiest six years of my adult life. I have learned about inventory control, and the hiring process for recruiting new associates. I have been able to grow my skills in team work, management and time management. This company has helped me in so many different ways to better myself for my next job endeavor.  less
Fun at first until you realize you won't go anywhere
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 18, 2013
I was a groomer for them for 4 years. It started out really good and I was eager to get better. Then I realized that once I got to doing 6-7 dogs a day comfortably, I was stuck there with no room to really grow or get better. The only thing you can do after you cap your dog amount is to become a salon manager. Which, I heard, used to be a good step up but they've actually increased the workload on salon managers a ton! You'd be losing money being one!

I only had ONE good Store Manager and he worked in that position for about 3 months then he got moved to a corporate job and they hired someone from a completely different company. They seem to NOT hire from within or move people up from within. So many people were moved into management positions from outside the company. We had people working for petsmart for 5+ years wanting to move up to be a manager and they were deemed "unskilled"

Being a groomer, all of management thinks they know more about it than you do. Since, they're, y'know. Management. I don't know how many times my profession or abilities were talked down about. If I said I had an aggressive dog, I had to PROVE it was aggressive to send it home. If I had issues with any dog, I always had to PROVE to management. They have no trust in their groomers.

Coworkers can be okay but it can also be a lot of unneeded drama. We had a pretty good group but one bad hire and it can ruin everything. I lost my job because someone who didn't like me said I did something I didn't do. and because of the extreme of what I supposedly did, I was fired. Later, I found out the person that
  more... lied about me quit!

As a groomer you make 50% commission which might sound like a lot but you'll reach a glass ceiling fast. And that glass ceiling is low. Unless you open your own salon or get your own business going, don't expect anything else from this company.
Pros
work with animals, relationship with customers, tips
Cons
management, pay, high stress, no growth
Best suited for college students only
Former bather, cashier (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, orMay 13, 2013
I started with petsmart one year ago as a dog bather. The work is hard, hot, and stressful. They expect the bathers to do a large amount of dogs no matter what temperament. My coworkers were so helpful and friendly though! Corporate pushes hard to move bathers into grooming positions, even if you don't wish to be a groomer. I didn't, so I was moved to a cashier. My hours dropped when this move happened. Coworkers where great again, helpful and cheerful. Management was fair and also helpful. The customers where friendly almost all of the time, and I truly enjoyed the work!

But little things creeped in. It became apparent that their way to fill hours was to hire more people, and give them few hours. I frequently had a work week filled with shifts only three hours long, often mid-day, and stay under 20 hours a week. One week, my hours where 34 and had been for weeks, then they dropped to 11. And stated that low for weeks with no warning. I tryed many times to get answers from the managers, and was never given a strait answer. I only got answers talking candidly to a coworker who had been there many years, and a former employee from the same store that happens to be a friend. They both said they whete treated the same way. I will miss all these great people. It's truly a shame that a company stoops to this. It hurts them in the long run, and they loose some great people.

Bottom line: it's designed to draw in college students, cater to them, and, if you don't want to be a groomer of a manager, it's a dead-end.
Pros
lots of friendly people and pets, learning about pets, and fair management in my store
Cons
ow pay, few hours in odd places making no family life or openings for a second job, no opportunity for full-time advancement unless you want to be a groomer or a manager, defaults built into the system to keep you from getting overtime, and a docking of the next 3 weeks hours if you do. and now, loss of part-time employee insurance.
Disaster 0147!!!
Hotel associste (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 2, 2014
Alright store 0147 is a disaster in the hotel!!! The main manager chooses her favorites so the same five people are out of a playroom which is NOT far to the rest of the staff. She is condescending to the rest of the staff as well. I've had customers wonder why someone is always in a room and I've just had to shrug and change the subject. It bothers me how they're supposed to train associates up front after a few months of working in the pet hotel, however, there are 3-4 associates that have yet to even get out of a playroom for more than their 15 or their half hour lunch. Also some of their staff will look to others to figure out what they should do (which normally would be fine) but then complain to a supervisor or manager that the person they looked to was being bossy or rude. Also a few associates are extremely lazy about the work in the hotel; like the cleaning. Or they don't pay attention in the playrooms. They just stand in the playroom, twirling leads in their hands, leaning against the walls or practically ignoring the dogs (even if they're doing something they shouldn't like eating another pups poo or humping another dog). The only thing that seems to phase them, is when a dog starts getting snappy.
Half the staff currently in the hotel needs to be fired and the same with the hotel management. The rest of the staff that agrees with me on this are looking for other jobs because they can't stand the management and the favoritism that occurs. Another thing, the main manager is slightly racist and pretty judgmental which isn't something that the main manager should be.
  more...
I am in the process of finding a new job because I can't stand the manager anymore. Happy job hunting. I would NOT recommend Store 0147 unless the management and half the staff quit or get fired; which sadly, is VERY unlikely.
Pros
the few hard-working associates, woring with animals
Cons
management!!!, people being lazy, managers with severe favoritism
Work experience at PetSmart
Stock/Recieving/Cashier/Coustomer Service (Former Employee) –  Bradley, ILAugust 20, 2014
-As a stock/receiver and occasional cashier. A typical day at work was interaction with customers, handling different forms of payment, and working in receiving was a job that depended on speed, efficiency, and order.

- I learned how to manage my time to the best of my abilities and I learned interesting facts about the animals.

- Management was not very good at this particular PetSmart. They treated the Receiving/Stock team like we we're machines setting unrealistic goals and standards. A good day in receiving still was not good enough. Management always said we we're not fast enough even if we finished on time or ahead of schedule! Management constantly bickered behind employees backs I know this because they did a lot or the bickering in the receiving room, they acted like as if I couldn't hear them. Management also gave more hours to the younger employees. Which we're all females between 18-19 years old, and still lived with their parents. ( the store manager and operations manager are both male by the way.) The older employees constantly received fewer hours then the young kids, besides a select few like the pet trainers and groomers. Management would often call employees out on the sales floor during store hours in front of customers and other employees, rather then call them into the office. This was generally the Operations Manager and the Pet Care Specialist Manager, and on occasion the Store Manager. None of the other managers ever did this type of thing.

-Most co-workers we're enjoyable to work with especially the cashiers, Presentation Manager and the Stock team.
  more...

- This job was fairly easy besides the constant nagging from the Store and Operations Managers.

- Most enjoyable part of this job was Cashiering, and honestly clocking out/lunch.
Pros
15% discount for employees.
Cons
poor camaraderie, communication, and management