PetSmart
1,559 reviews

PetSmart Employer Reviews

not a very good work place
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee), lady lake flJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: workig with animals
Cons: dos not care to much about there animals or emploryees
when I first started there it was awesome but after I have been there for a while they desided that I was not part of there clickes and they do not care about there emploryees or there any of there animales
great customer care
Dog Groomer/Bather Trainer (Former Employee), Houston, TxJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: daily interaction with customers and pets
Cons: constant changes to the schedule.
A typical day at work is to greet, discuss services, check in, provide the service and follow through with the pet parent. I have already been trained in customer service but this job taught me how to even become more familiar with repeat customers, customer complaints and overall satisfaction of customers. I enjoyed my management team because they gave me the direction and tools to do my job and than followed up with me to ensure a happy and enjoyable work environment. My coworkers were a great team. They were always ready to give a hand when needed. The hardest part of the job was controlling the environment to suite the pets needs first. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know my customers, and mastering the art of grooming.
Productive and fun workplace
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), Marietta, GAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: working with animals
Cons: short breaks
A typical day consisted of all tank maintenance for the assigned animal group that day(birds, small animals, reptiles, fish, etc.), morning or night feedings of all the animals(if opening or closing shift), assisting customers with any questions they may have regarding pet care information or pet product recommendations, opening cages to let interested customers interact with the animals, catching fish and crickets, cleaning and restocking all pet care supplies, and running the cash register. I learned tons of background information on a variety of animals and animal care products in order to provide the best customer service possible. My managers were the best. They were very understanding, helpful, constructive, and genuinely had my best interest in mind. All of my co-workers were great as well. The hardest or worst part of the job was having to cover cashier shifts when we were short our normal cashiers. The most enjoyable part of the job was connecting excited new pet owners with the perfect pet for them!
Fast Paced Environment
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Utica, MIJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: job security, good vacation benefits
Cons: short breaks, stressful environment, small work space
Check in dogs scheduled for you by discussing, in detail, what the pet parent is looking for. Bathe and dry your dog, clip its nails and provide the haircut. Answer phone calls, book new appointments, and provide walk-in services, simultaneously. Manage time wisely while sticking to a strict schedule. Finish your scheduled dogs in time to check in your next appointments. Follow all safety policies and regulations. The hardest part of job would be dealing with difficult dogs that do not agree with what you are doing as well as difficult pet parents that feel the same way. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are making a difference in a pet's life and making them look and feel better. It was very easy to get along with most of my co-workers and we all quickly become close friends from working in tight places together. Management could be a little difficult. Most managers have never worked a day in a grooming salon in their life so they do not understand the amount of work it takes, some worry more about the money instead of the groomer and pets involved.
Challenging but rewarding
Support Manager (Current Employee), NYJanuary 24, 2015
Retail is always a challenging work environment, but seeing the pets that come into the store and the all the ones that get adopted makes it worth it. The hours leave a lot to be desired but that is the nature of the industry.
not enough hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Watchung, NJJanuary 24, 2015
manager at the time i was working there gave me a lot of issues with my school schedule
A good stepping stone or long term company
Operation Supervisor (Former Employee), Richardson, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: animals
Cons: under staffed
this company is great to their employees easy to move up based on skills this company is one I recommend for high school students to learn how customer service is taught
Pet CARE
Early Morning Stocker (Current Employee), Renton, WAJanuary 23, 2015
Typical day at petsmart is stocking merchandise, helping customers and making sure of a neat/organized backroom. I learned more about stocking and general backroom skills from this job. My co-workers are great teachers throughout my learning experience. The hardest part of the job was the physically labor but it is also the most rewarding part of the job.
great
Stocker (Former Employee), Wakeforest, NCJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: postive work enviorment
Cons: wakeing up early
A typical day at work includes
-unloading the truck
-stocking product on shelf's
-cleaning up work area
-putting up left over back stock

What I have learned
-how to complete a job in a timely matter
-how to maintain a work area
-how to take pride in work

-helped me grow and cultivate my work skills

My co-workers
-we were a team
-brought out the best in me

The hardest part of the job
-waking up early 3am

The most enjoyable part of the job
- being responsible for my own work area
Decent place to work, but not good for hours
Lead Pet Care (Former Employee), Lafayette, LAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: easy going environment and easy to take off
Cons: management doesn't always help out in departments and there aren't enough hours
Need a job just for fun? Then try PetSmart. I have been there for four years. It was a good job while I was in college, but now that I have graduated I can't afford the bills that I have working there. Management does really well in giving you the days you need off and working with you in emergencies. Corporate cut a lot of hours they can use, so now part timers are getting no more than 20 hours a week. They are good on giving raises, but after your third (and required) raise, it'll be hard to advance from there.
Company doesn't care
Presentation Manager (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: the pets
Cons: corporate doesn't listen
Typical day started at 3am, after two years this is what burned me out. Most enjoyable part of the job was the animals.
Interesting and fun
Stocker and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Gresham, OregonJanuary 22, 2015
I mainly worked doing stock and as a customer service representative. I learned about a pets health and the best brands of food for dogs and cats. Management was good but sometimes forgetful in trying to do extra training for individuals who were supposed to be doing more. Co-workers were nice and easy to work with and very helpful when needed. Hardest part of the job was keeping up to date of what was the best product. The best part of the job was working with the animals.
The co-workers were the best part
Cashier (Former Employee), Garden Grove, CAJanuary 22, 2015
I was hired as a part time associate therefore I did not have benefits. I learned a lot about different animals. The management was that very good expected too much from the associates. The customers were sometimes very rude. I am very nice and caring co-workers, which was the best part.
Pet Retail
Operations Manager (Current Employee), New HampshireJanuary 22, 2015
There is never a dull moment. At times, there most difficult part of my job is getting my associates to manage their time effectively and making sure they understand that the customer comes first. There are many days where this can be tough for me, too, as the company has become more demanding of time while cutting hours (this is seems to be happening all over the retail world). The best part is by far seeing the animals that venture into the store, along with helping customers with questions on the proper care of their animals. It can be very rewarding.
Another job doing what i loved
Pet Care Specialist & Cashier (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: working with animals
Cons: management didnt respect i had health issues during pregnancy
I got to work with the animals up til i was five months which i developed pre-eclampsia and caused my feet to swell something offer which then i moved to be a cashier and sat on a stool which i later had to leave when i was six months pregnant due to doctor putting me on bed rest
retail hours
Cashier/Petcare (Former Employee), Pembroke Pines, FLJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: discounts on pet food
Cons: short lunch break, pay is horrible because part time hours are about 18 hours a week.
Ringing up people at the cash register can drain you especially if you do it for 6 hours straight. Hardest part was standing around doing nothing for a couple hours. Most enjoyable part was getting to talk to fellow co-workers.
Very chaotic environment with constant change of management
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: working with pets and helping customers
Cons: very disorganized management
I enjoyed my job but it was very difficult to deal with the constant changing of management. It seemed like there was new department and/or store managers every couple of weeks. It was difficult to get a good relationship built with them.
Great oppurtunity to grow with the company.
Support Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great team to work with.
Cons: cleaning up dog fecal matter.
Fast paced, busy work, with plenty of heavy lifting exercise. The most enjoyable part of the job was working overnights building plan-o-grams and working the freight. I learned to reintegrate canines back into my life after having been attacked by one previously to working at Petsmart. My management and leader skills were finely tuned in the two years with the company.
It's okay depending what store you are in.
Senior Pet Care Specialist (SPCS) (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: hourly pay rate is good compared to other retails. yearly raises.
Cons: part timers do not get benefits. full time positions are not available as much.
The job is enjoyable overall for a retail job. Tons of customer service. Hours fluctuate depending on the business. Mandatory overnight shifts if needed. Tons of responsibility. Depending on which store your in, management could be great or bad. If management is great, the job is easy-going. If management is bad, they could be a bit annoying about policies and procedures and really stuck to the companies' rules and regulations.
Not the best place to work but can be decent.
Stocking/Cashier (Former Employee), Williston, VTJanuary 20, 2015
Not many positive things I can say about this job unfortunately. I was hired as a stocker that was told I would be a FT employee. That quickly turned into PT. When I sought more hours, the manager told he would get me into a program where I would be driving the kitties they have back and forth from the veterinary they get them from. I loved this idea....only to find out a week or two later after calling the actual vet, he made no call to them. I was hurt and disappointed to be lied to. I asked to be put on cashier and they did but barely. I was lied to on multiple occasions and asked them what was going on? They proceeded to cut my hours down to 3 hours per week rather than discuss any problems or issues they had with me rather than let me go outright. They clearly have favorites. I was upset with this place. Giving them a 2 star rating was considerate I felt.
On the flip side, I made a few good quality friends from this job which I still have to this day. Working hard behind the scenes doing grunt work while learning quickly where everything is to help guests as well as team members was a key quality I learned. Having morning pre-opening meetings/huddles was a great thing they did that put everyone on the same page. They had trivia questions about the stores and offered prizes to those who got them right. Without a doubt the best part of this job. Doing your absolute best while respecting everyone around you showed that sometimes it does pay off.

1 2 3 4 5

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more