PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,684 reviews matching the search
Part time job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Walnut, CAApril 29, 2017
For this being a pet time job it wasn't bad. Store manager likes to play favoritism sometimes. But if you like animals it's a great place to work as a part time job.
Decent place to work
Petcare associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJApril 27, 2017
Comfortable work environment. Company makes sure employees are well trained in their respective departments. Employees are willing to go above and beyond in customer service.
Pros
Accumulative vacation days, health insurance.
Cons
Sometimes management cares more about the bottom line than well being of the animals.
fun and rewarding
bather (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAApril 27, 2017
Co-workers are nice and helpful. It's fun and not to demanding of a job. The customers are okay and the dogs are sometimes aggressive. But its rewarding and nice to work with the dogs. If your a dog lover then i recommend this job
The hardest part of the job is lack of communication
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIApril 27, 2017
Management lacks communication with each other and all associates in the store. multiple times where I've have to wait for management to show up and then found out we were supposed to be there later. Times where i was told to do to different things by assistant manager and store maneger
Its an ok work place
DC Associate (Current Employee) –  PhoenixApril 27, 2017
Management does not show or make you feel appreciated. Great employees, with good attitudes on weekend shift. When all is said and done, the company only sees you as a pawn, or a tool
Pros
fellow employees
Lots of changes
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAApril 27, 2017
too many conference calls, trackers...cant be customer focus with all the distractions from above management. You can't do everything by yourself, you have to have a strong management team that can quickly adjust and PetSmart lacks the training to prepare management for the business.
Pros
Interacting with pets
Cons
Company does not give you the hours to support certain task
fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXApril 26, 2017
Great first job i loved helping everyone and seeing all the animals that came in. I learned how to be a people person and learned alot about the products and to be fast pace as a cashier.
Pros
overtime available
Cons
pay is not enough and no room for advancement in the company
decent
Cashier/ Pet Care associate (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLApril 26, 2017
Managers are nice, Cashiering gets boring over time, many different job options to choose from, easy with the breaks, friendly co-workers, nice to see dogs everyday
Pros
15% discount
Pet loving enviroment with a positive experience!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Auburn, CAApril 26, 2017
A fun learning experience every day, management and associates are always in a happy mood and willing to help or serve whether it is a pet parent or employee. Most difficult part is lifting 50 lb bags of pet food and time flies before you know it is time to punch out!
Pros
Employee discounts, flexible hours, meeting new people and their pets.
Cons
Have not encountered any cons.
Meh
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 26, 2017
Poor management. Some leaders are swell. All in all its a place to start a career, but isn't a career. Its part time with unfair entry wage for new hires making more that long term employees.
Pros
Pets
Cons
Poor Store Leader
It is what you make it.
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, TNApril 26, 2017
I worked at petsmart for a year. First job i had ever had. But once I got to my full time position, things changed. I was forced to transfer between stores to actually earn a full time position and after leaving one of the stores, my hours were cut way down to 4 hours a day to barely any hours at all and I was commuting over an hour to & from work. At first, it's a wonderful experience because of all of the animals and it was a super friendly environment, but after my 6 month evaluation, I was tired of it. But i still stuck it out for another 6 months. I had one issue with a co-worker the entire time of being with petsmart and it never got resolved after I continuously cried infront of my bosses and tried to take it up the chain of command because nothing was being done. All in all, if you want something that's fun and involves animals, petsmart is the way to go. Just stay out of the little kid drama that goes on.
Pros
Getting to work with animals.
Cons
Management. Not easy to get promoted.
So sp
Salon Leader (grooming) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 26, 2017
I thought I would retired from this job was i there a long time then they where baught and everything changed I have been a manager for 10 years and the way there paying a can't pay my bills
Fun, easy going work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Broadview, ILApril 26, 2017
The management is very nice and understanding. They help you toward your goals and do not leave you behind. If you make a mistake, management shows you how you did wrong and how you can do better the next time. The hardest part of the job is the Email Capture. Email capture is when a customer gives you their email, and sometimes people do not have one or don't want to give you their email. So it's pretty hard to get above 30% (which is what they want everyday) But the key is to stay positive and not to give up. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with the customers about their pets. It fun to hear the stories and meet all types of animals. I've had a lady come in with a bearded dragon on her arm and let me pet him. I think that's pretty cool don't you?
Pros
paid 15 minute breaks, kind management, clean bathrooms
Cons
small checks
Awesome place but the time management of the store was awful
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 25, 2017
If you were scheduled to a certain time, plan to be there around another 2 hours. At my location nothing was ever done on time because of horrible under staffing, apart from that it was a fantastic place to work for
Pros
cute puppies
Cons
very short breaks
Could be great for hourly employees, poor for salaried managers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAApril 25, 2017
Lack of DM support and poor assistance with HR led to stressful environment 10-12 hour work days 6-7 days a week with time off being interrupted with constant phone calls...extremely poor work life balance.
Good student job
Pet Products Associate (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAApril 25, 2017
A good part time job if you don't expect to make very much money or advance quickly. Stores aren't allocated enough hours to allow things such as forklift training and/or cross training to make an employee more valuable. Also, entry level employees only get about 15 hours per week to work. It's a good job for a student living at home with minimal expenses.
Stressful.
Early morning stocker (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 25, 2017
Stressful,management is rude and clueless. Working hours constantly get changed, managers are contradictory in the things they say. Expect to get yelled and treated poorly by employees on a daily basis.
terrible company
PET CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Schererville, INApril 25, 2017
they don't care about the animals, or the people. The absolute worst company I have ever worked for. Employees were bullies, management didn't care about harassment.
productive great benefits
Grooming salon asscoiate- Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDApril 25, 2017
I liked working for this company but when I left they showed me that their employees were not their concern they had great benefits and made sure you kept to your hours, I loved grooming pets I met new people and animals daily
It isn't a bad place if you truly love pets.
Full Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Bergen, NJApril 25, 2017
Theres a lot of studying to do in regards to different protein sources for different pets. Some dogs are grain intolerant or allergic to even the smallest dose of anything they're allergic to. You'd be surprised how much dog food is mixed in regards to ingredients. And defintely alot more studying or experience should be had if you plan to work in the small pets section. I feel like its very difficult to move up or get promoted. They're hiring outside of the company for manager positions.
Pros
You see alot of dogs, play with pets, really bond with coworkers
Cons
Not many breaks, weekends are packed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval