PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,805 reviews matching the search
I love animals
Pet Care Specialist, cashier, stocker (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 22, 2017
I was a pet care specialist. I had to feed all animals fish, birds, small animals. Check for any sick. Test the aquariums water made sure all the levels were they were needed. Cleaned tanks and decors. Restocked shelves. Customer service answered phones. Did cashiering as well as answering phones.
Pros
I love animals
Cons
Low pay
fun place to work
Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 22, 2017
love working here and with all of the animals. I am a bather and find my day filled with excitement and I actually look forward to coming to work! Great place to work
Bather and groomer
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAMay 21, 2017
A typical work day included bathing and grooming dogs. If you were a groomer you were not allowed to just bath a dog. You would only bathe dogs that you were grooming. PetSmart did send me to their grooming academy where I learned the grooming techniques that PetSmart approved of. Attending seminars on my own gave me the opportunity to improve my grooming and learn new techniques. The hardest part of the jobe was that if I had no dogs to groom I was required to work on the sales floor and/or fill in as cashier. Working out of a satellite store I did not get to know any of the upper management. I only worked with store management.
Caring enviroment
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Fuquay-Varina, NCMay 21, 2017
Petmart loves pets. Sometimes it means that they don't stick up for the employees and take the customers side. Working for Petsmart is a great way to be able to meet like minded pet lovers.
Fun work Environment
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 21, 2017
Corporate office is fun with a gym and opportunity to bring your dog to work with you! Excellent work/life balance and definitely a work hard/play hard culture.
Fun environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 21, 2017
I loved working with the customers to find their forever new furry family member. I was in charge of opening the store and making sure our animals had all their needs met before we opened our doors for customers.
Fun workplace when working with the right people
front desk/ groomer / bather (Former Employee) –  Lauderhill, FL 33351May 20, 2017
Very fun, fast pace and energetic environment when working with the right people , the management staff at certain stores have favoritism and don't think about their employees as a person and more of a dollar sign .
Pros
Free lunch, discount
Lacking
Pet care associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 20, 2017
I absolutely loved working with the animals and learned a great deal from some members of staff.
There are some great ideas and intentions here but this particular store is lacking in authority and organisation.
Managers on different levels are not particularly supportive of their workers needs.
Pros
Lot's to learn and experience.
Cons
No support
Fun and fast paced environment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMay 20, 2017
Working with animals is great, the environment is fun and you learn many additional skills working at petsmart. However, advancement is a struggle and the work environment with associates is not desirable.
Pros
3 breaks with a 8 hour shIft
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIMay 19, 2017
I really loved my job here. Everyone was so nice an helpful.i was super sad when he had to leave to take care of my father before he passed away.the pay was great I thought sn I was always busy doing something.
Excellent Staff and Great Managment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 18, 2017
Working at petsmart was amazing. Many of the other employees are college aged but all are very knowledgeable in their respective fields. Hours are short but you have the possibility to work other peoples shifts. Overall an amazing work experience.
Pros
3 breaks with an 8-hour shift
Cons
less than 20+ hours per week
I love animals.
Pet-Care Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 18, 2017
I loved the animals and the regular customers. Its like working in a tiny zoo. It is a surprisingly technical job for all of the little details you must know about various animals.
Fun workplace! but pay could be better..
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 18, 2017
A typical day at work was kind of like ocean tides; it was either really quiet and calm, or chaotic. As far as retail jobs, the best part was that I learned a lot about animals and the best part was seeing the same lovely dogs every time I was scheduled to work. We even had regular customers stop by and say hello a few days at a time. However, sometimes I found myself doing a lot of duties that I was not required to do as a cashier. Nonetheless, I left because I felt like I deserved more pay.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
short breaks
Working with animals can be rewarding
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 18, 2017
I enjoyed grooming and working with animals, as well as having a creative outlet. The job can be stressful and demanding, but also very rewarding as well.
Was there 3 years & every Store Manager I knew was fired.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 18, 2017
Cutthroat culture in an environment that shouldn't be. It's a complicated business model to learn & HR & the DM's are just looking for reasons to fire you after a year or so.
Pros
Pay, Customers
Cons
Mgmt & the sense of feeling you're going to be fired any day
Productive place
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 18, 2017
You are constantly learning something new every day. Management is really good. You meet awesome pet parents who really care for their animals. Plus you get to prepare new pet parents as well for their new animals.
It's what you make of it
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 18, 2017
Petcare is fast paced and can be stressful. Things have to be done specific ways to ensure the health and safety of animals and yourself. Not everyone wants to play by the rules and not everyone is going to care as much as the next person. This is frustrating when you work very hard.
Animals make it worthwhile. I stay because I love these animals so much and because the benefits I receive are extremely well. The hardest part of the job is staying out of the drama, selling animals to people who are not taking optimal care of those animals or ignore your advice, and dealing with the injured animals or sick animals that customers return. Your day is what you make of it, In the end, we all love animals and that's what brought us to work at this store.
Pros
You learn a LOT about animals.The benefits are amazing.
Cons
Drama, It's hard to advance or get raises unless you want to be management.
Customer service associate
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 18, 2017
Greeted incoming guests and checked pets into the PetsHotel and Doggie Day Camp. Communicated with pet owners regarding each pet's unique needs and monitored activities to ensure a safe and healthy stay. Provided daily care, including feeding, exercising, bathing, dispensing medications, as needed, and facilities maintenance.
Pros
Good Summer good
Cons
low pay
It's ok.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  NCMay 18, 2017
This company could care less about how much work you do. You only advance to manager if you're friends with higher ups. Don't expect advancement at all unless you know the right people.

However, easy job. Been here 6 years, so if it was really that bad I'd be gone. You will not have a fixed schedule, and they usually won't even hire you if you have availability restrictions.

Animals are cool though and the employee discount is helpful with personal purchases.
Pros
Animals, having a job in general, decent, paid for the amount of work you do
Cons
Scheduling, no advancement, favoritism
Great without corporate
Cashier; Pet Care (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAMay 18, 2017
We can only get Part-time hours, no benefits, and lately they've been cutting our hours. Corporate is way too involved. They don't care about the animals, they just care about their money. I'm glad for the job experience though.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short lunches, hours cut, corporate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.