PetSmart Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,925 reviews matching the search
Great employer to work for with great advancement opportunities.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAMarch 27, 2016
Petsmart was a great place to work for. There is always opportunities to learn things that excel your chances of
advancement. Management and regular associates work well with
each other and there is an understanding between everyone. The best part about working here though, in my opinion, was the interaction between people and there pets. If you are a TRUE pet lover this is the perfect company to work for!
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, good work/life balance, development opportunities
Cons
None that I can recall
Good for entry-level retail positions
Petcare/Warehouse/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJanuary 21, 2016
The job itself isn't bad, if not enjoyable most of the time. However, there isn't much, if any, room to move up in the company. Unless you can stand getting paid minimum wage and only working 20-30 hours a week. The company doesn't have many full time positions available, and the few it has are more than likely going to be filled by people who are more than comfortable in it. With persistence, patience(Like a lot), and a good attitude, PetSmart seems to have promising corporate careers.
Pros
15% Discount, Animal rich environment, easy going.
Cons
No benefits for part time, minimum wage with morsels for raises, lack of hours, secretive management <- (My store in particular), no room to move up
Terrible Corporate Environment
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Happy Valley, ORFebruary 20, 2016
I have been working there since 2010. Management at store is a disaster, lots of decisions based on favoritism. Mild sexism coming from upper level management, who are ALL male now. Quality of store/customer service/employee benefits/etc. has declined rapidly. Do not work at Petsmart!! Especially in the Portland/Tigard area.
Pros
all the pets are lovely, customers who are happy to take care of their babies
Cons
bad pay, overworked, no praise, no appreciation for hard work, blatant disregard from management
Great benefits, but management is lacking
Pet Care Lead (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILFebruary 29, 2016
Working for PetSmart was pretty enjoyable, up until the buy-out. Ever since then, it's become all about profit and less and less about animal care and customer service. The management lacks communication and team building skills. Also, it's very difficult to advance within the company. The company does not like to hold associates accountable for their actions, and it appears HR doesn't want to deal with any disciplinary issues that may arise and need taking care of, hence driving all the good employees out and ensuring the unsatisfactory ones stay.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management, animal care
fun place to work if you're young
Pet care specialist (Current Employee) –  Owasso, OK 74055March 30, 2016
great company but associates in certain stores can of course hinder that. ive been with them for a year and have been listed as a part time employee but I work full time hours and don't get the benefits and haven't been elected for an advancement despite my extremely hard work. im cross trained in almost all departments. there is a high turnover rate so it can be frustrating because there is so much to learn.
Pros
freedom, decent pay
Cons
understaffed, not much room for advancement, high turnover
Good money for busy periods, awful management
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR and Louisville, KYJanuary 22, 2016
I worked for the company for almost 2 years in two different states as a bather at the start and a groomer after 6 months of working there. They train you completely and expect the upmost respect of safety and always letting the customers run over you. Which then ends in you losing money after grooming a dog if they "don't like it". If it's a busy season, it's good money. If it's not, you make your hourly rate if you don't commission enough. My store in Oregon had a few issues with teamwork and following guidelines. The store in Kentucky I worked with had poor management and is the reason why I quit the job. The company was bought out January 2015 which caused a lot of changes that made the job nearly impossible sometimes. If you want a job that will train you to become a groomer, have a place to rely on for benefits, and travel a lot, go for it. Grooming is a hard business sometimes.
Pros
Benefits, some stores have good teams.
Cons
Management, varying income
fighting against a negative workplace
Receptionist/Professional Bather/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 18, 2016
A mixture of cleaning the entire store and bathing pets all in a days work.
I learned how to Bathe dogs and name each breed, how to handle a problem dog or a concerned Customer.
Manager did not show leadership, spoke negatively of staff when encouragement shouldve been the replacement.
very few coworkers were very helpful, worked as a Team, others shared same traits as manager.
Hardest part is not getting bit or attacked by dogs, or keeping them away from other dogs to prevent dog fights.
Most enjoyable part was bathing the dogs.
promised to be moved up in position, did not happen.
Pros
Bathing dogs
Cons
no advancements, lack of management
Fun place to work
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WADecember 26, 2015
I really enjoyed my experience at Petsmart overall. Wish they could keep managers for longer periods of time (when switching from Manager to Manager all the time, it can make the rules and regulations and how everyone does things complicated or varied. So then when someone who HAS been working there a long time has a manager tell them something completely different than what you were taught.. can make life irritating.)
Communication is definitely key. If everyone could be on the same page it would be 10X's better. The environment was always nice and it was hardly ever boring. I miss it everyday since I had to leave. Best place I've worked at so far. Felt like family.
Pros
cute puppies, 15% off your purchases if you work there
Cons
healthcare is a bit expensive every week, wish groomers got Commission raises (makes more sense then hourly)
Overworked and Undervalued
Customer Engagement Leader/Pet Care Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 1, 2015
It was a great place to work at when I started but now that it has new ownership it has taken a downturn. The concept is great. I worked nearly every holiday and I basically had no friends because there was no time for me. Probably one of the lower paying companies in retail. Benefits were fine. My job was never threatened but coworkers had spoke of this before. Room for advancement is a joke, they say they will develop you but there is no time and no one dedicated to training you unless your manager/leader is pushing for you. People are put into positions purely due to necessity and convenience FOR THE COMPANY, not much stock is put into what the employee wants or needs. Upper management puts lots of pressure for sales (which is normal) but there is no follow through. There is not consistent feedback on performance. I was lucky to find out anything during my annual review. The culture could be great if managment would actually pay attention to its employees instead of being lazy or trying to hide from customers. Signed, overworked and undervalued.
Pros
concept, benefits, culture
Cons
ownership, work/life balance, holidays worked, low pay, training, mangement, no feedback
Bad place to work
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMOctober 24, 2015
I go in at 3 am to unload and work the truck. You have a 20 footprint truck with 2 or 3 guys. Management expects the truck to be done by the 2 or 3 guys that are there (because there are times that people call in) to finish the truck, put all the back stock back nice and organize, face all the shelves, throw the trash, sweep the entire store, re-stage all drops in a 5 hour period. There are days that it is possible because everyone shows up, and the truck is not that big. Management is a micro managing guy that does not appreciate what is done. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I clock out to go home. Another thing is that you practically have to beg for a 10 cent raise.
Cons
Stocker and some much more
Everything (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutFebruary 15, 2016
The company's recent restructure in order to save the corporate big wigs money and to help continue their outrageous salaried truly spread the underdogs very thin. Eliminating certain full time positions so there would no long be a expense/cost (to corporate) of providing these worker health benefits. Along with cutting payroll to meet sales goal to keep the company's revenue in the green, has taken the toll on most associates. At the store level you have your associates that are key players that are pretty much doormats for management; I myself being one of them. The job itself is incredible easy. However, trying to hire help with the ability to do it is a whole other situation. The turn around of new faces is constant change. I took this job fresh out of college and in a struggling economy and poor job market, I am thankful for the job but it is you typical retail toxic environment. I truly wish I could the entity itself truly cared for animals/pets but it all boils down to $$$. Yes there are those who do care about animals. I truly wish I could be more positive about this company but as I said the recent restructuring is all for greed and revenue.
Pros
Pets, discount
Cons
Great coworkers and support from management
Presentations manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 10, 2016
Management is awesome depending on what store you are at but support higher than store level is lacking severely. If there is a serious concern they pay no attention to it. If you apply yourself and really take in everything that they teach you it is easy to move up a few levels.
Pros
Room for advancement and decent pay for students.
Cons
short breaks and lack of higher support.
The corporation isn't the best, but individual stores can be all right.
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, INMarch 20, 2016
I started as a cashier for a part time job to work my way through graduate school. This was a fine as a retail job can be, though being a cashier does get mind numbing after a while. I was asked to go through the program to become a dog trainer because they needed one and agreed that my personality was a good fit for it. I was reluctant at first because I did not want to get too involved there and then leave after school. They assured me it would not be a problem so I took it. Our store manager then quit and we lost two more managers over a period of a couple of months without replacing any. It was very stressful and the corporation would not accept any reason for why the store was struggling. It got better for a bit, but then it started getting bad again and people were quitting left and right.
Pros
Great coworkers at my particular store, working with animals
Cons
Work life balance not taken into account, general corporate shenanigans, annoying customers
Great Place to work if you want to learn.
Petcare Specialist (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 30, 2016
Although I have loved working for this company and my team the past 2 years, I have reached a point where I am no longer growing career wise.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement.
Great environment for both managers and associates
Outbound Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bethel, PAMarch 19, 2016
Petsmart DC is a great place to work. The management has a pro associate philosophy. As a supervisor the work was not stressful and I had plenty of time with my family.
Pros
strong culture
Cons
still identifying itself after the recent aquisition
Loving and Friendly Environment
Bather/Associate (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INMarch 11, 2016
A typical day at work: easy to do, fun to do, able to get experience in all aspects of the store

What you learned: I learned better time management skills to finish one dogs appointment before the next or within 3 hours.

Management: The management in the salon was wonderful, some management otherwise was also wonderful.

You co-workers: Friendly, helpful, funny, and always willing to give advice.

The hardest part of the job: learning time management skills on a completely different aspect of employment.

The most enjoyable part of the job: seeing the appointments for the day and having your favorite clients.
Pros
New skills, new clients
Cons
Upset Customers, Unfriendly dogs
great place to work and had some live animals we could pet and play with.
customer service representative/cashier (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 9, 2016
i would start by greeting costumers and showing interest in there needs and if i could help. Then i would cash costumers out. I learned alot of useful information about animals and there eating habits and chooses of foods.My management was okay at the time we were in limbo with managers so as employees we mostly managed ourselves and carried the store. My coworkers were very awesome people theyt cared about our customers and their pets as much as I did and showed it as well by going above and beyond on a daily basis. There really wasn't a hard part of the job i enjoyed it at all times and my coworkers and i were always in tune.
Pros
fun coworkers made new friends
Cons
good health benefits and work/life balance
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Holmdel, NJFebruary 23, 2016
typical day at work could be loud and noisy with dogs barking, excitable kids, training classes, cleaning up accidents on the floor, customer interaction,organizing and blocking shelves, listening to workers complain, listening to satisfied customers, customer compliments and appreciating the assistance given to them by employees. listening to customer complaints. resolving customer inquiries and complaints. research customer problems, analyzing customer problems and solving the problem in a timely manner. offering the best solutions possible to the customer. selling puppy starter kits, signing puppies and older dogs up for training classes. accepting payments for products purchased.
learned many things. among them working in a very diverse environment can be very challenging at times. learning more and more about people and pets. knowing cannot please everyone in a more diverse environment.
management could be better. too much of a revolving door. many managers appear to be inexperienced. don't believe some actually have what it takes. co-workers are very young. they come and go like the wind. i enjoy being a mentor to them at times. when need someone more experienced, glad i can be there to help and guide them along. some have a very good and positive attitude, others do not, like almost anywhere you go.
hardest part of the job is realizing cannot please everyone. that is only human nature.
most enjoyable is making a difference in someone's life.
Pros
good health benefits, work/life balance, making a difference in someone today
Cons
too noisy at times
Unproductive, management only cares about money
Senior Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAApril 2, 2016
The current store i work for only cares about the money they make and has no consideration for the care of the animals who are in the care of the employees. The management also does not care about the well being of their employees as well. I will admit some of the employees do care about their job and a few managers care but the main store director and our manager above our store director does not care for the well being of the animals or employees in their care.
Pros
you get to work with animals and make them happy
Cons
management does not care about animals or employees
I love working around the animals and with my customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMarch 21, 2016
Working at Petsmart is awesome because I love working with my customers and seeing different animals everyday. I enjoy working with my co workers.
Pros
animals
Cons
management, n benefits