PetSmart Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Fun entry level job
Grooming Salon Stylist (Current Employee) –  Manahawkin, NJSeptember 21, 2017
A fun environment to work in. You are hands on with animals everyday! PetSmart appreciates employees that work for them for many years and gives opportunities to advance. However, salary is not enough to support an independent lifestyle.
Productive and very fast paced
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PASeptember 20, 2017
I worked at a PetSmart and although I enjoyed it, I had some issues. The managers treated everyone poorly at most times, lied about pay increases, and lied about other small things as well. I loved the environment and working with the various animals however, it was a great experience for me.
Energy Draining job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COSeptember 20, 2017
They only care about small unimportant things that don't actually consider your actual work ethic when they are considering you in comparison to other employees.
Great place
Professional Bather (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hills, PASeptember 20, 2017
Working with dogs was the best part of my shift. As a bather I saw between 4-6 dogs a day. Time management was pretty important - depending on the size of a dog and the services requested, I usually have about an hour to get a dog done and ready to send home. Teamwork was a big deal and I could always rely on my coworkers to lend a hand when needed.
Nice place to work.
Presentation Mngr, Pet Products Mngr, Hotel Senior (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 20, 2017
Pet parents are great. Enjoyed working in the PetsHotel. Working in the hotel was very fast paced but never boring. Management was very easy to work with along with other co-workers.
Only problem is pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYSeptember 20, 2017
My only issue with PetSmart, is that for being there for more over 6 years; I am making JUST over min. wage.

The people are great to work with, the customers are usually pretty nice. Perk, you get to see adorable puppies and other interesting pets!
Cons
Pay
Base pay is good, but new bonus plan is unattainable
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 20, 2017
Company pays well, but when they were bought out, they fired half of the corperate office. Since Pet Smart was a ground up company, that meant that they pushed out the culture that brought most of us to the company. They claim that one of their key values is "Do the right thng," but that only applies to the Store Management to the customer, not the company to the employees.
Pros
Base pay, benefits, people
Cons
Changing bonus plan, that isn't posted with calculations, so you can't check the math to determine if they are correct.
Became a different job and culture from when I first started
Lead Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 20, 2017
When I first started the focus was on pets and customers. When I left it was only about conversion and sales, customer service was unimportant, and the culture became one that didn't care even about its employees.
It became a place where you go in, work your hours, and leave. You anticipate leaving because it wasn't a nice place to work.
Management was incredibly incompetent. My store manager harassed me until I quit. I had exhausted all options to transfer and to try to find conflict resolution but the entire company including HR did not care. They lie and abuse and don't care an ounce about their employees.
Nobody cares about anybody else.
The hardest part of the job is the incredible disappointment and nonexistent job satisfaction. The physical nature is also hard. The management doesn't care if you get injured.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that, when I first started, it was about helping pet parents and pets get what they were looking for and helping them be happy. That, unfortunately, was no longer allowed or focused on when I left.
Pros
You get to see pets
Cons
Management harassment, disregard for employees and customers, almost everything else
terrible
Sales Associate/Petcare (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJSeptember 19, 2017
The worst job I've ever had, with the rudest managers. terrible hours management would never work with availability and would get angry when i wouldn't be able to work due to college when informed many times schedule and class times.
If you want to work at a place run by children...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bourne, MASeptember 19, 2017
It's cut throat and sales driven. You aren't treated like a person and the expectations are disgustingly high. If I didn't need a job so badly I'd leave
Ok
Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  Millburn, NJSeptember 19, 2017
It's a good place to work, but advancing takes time. Like all retail places the hours you work are all over the place. I wish there were better selections of pet food, toys etc
Pros
Good people
Cons
Shift work
Poor Work environment very cut throat and unprofessional
Dog Groomer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 19, 2017
A typical day at work as a bather at PetSmart was often as simple as coming in and beginning your work on a dog. While the Dogs helped keep your job exciting and fresh as every day was never the same, the co-workers were very harsh and irritable. While not speaking for all PetSmart's the one I went to often was caught up in drama and bullying that wasn't proper of any work environment. Management even allowed the other employees to come to a store meeting drunk and berate me on my performance. I was often thrown all the dogs the groomers didn't want to do leaving me with over the amount I was capable of finishing in an orderly manner, thus stressing the dogs and owners. Management wasn't really there over my short time there as I couldn't continue in a toxic and stressful environment. My health issues were ignored when brought to light even though they affected my performance. Work problems included, placing more than the state allowed two kennel dryers on kennels to dry dogs, (up to seven), drinking during work hours, harming dogs, ignoring health issues, and even management discussing shooting an endangered bird after hours that had broken into the store. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to work with dogs and making the customers so happy when they got to see their pet shine at the end of the day.
Pros
Working with animals and making customers happy
Cons
30 minute lunch breaks, limited smoke breaks, very unprofessional management and staff
Stressful, dramatic environment.
Pet Care Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXSeptember 19, 2017
No matter how much you do it is never enough. They will call you in every day of the week. I have worked 13 hour days because coworkers refused to come in. It's very unprofessional and dramatic. They don't care for the animals. The turtles are in horrible shape and the company only cares about sales. They don't care for the animals
Pros
15% discount
great for seasonal or students
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2017
Ours is a busy store and oftentimes we do not have the hours to grant to associates to enable us to take care of not only the animals in our care as well as the customers. They provide training, but it is very minimal and all associates will benefit for a more thorough training process. It is enjoyable creating relationships with the Pet Parents and seeing our regulars come through. There isn't as much animal contact as one would think unless you work in the hotel or grooming salon. Full time associates are also few and far between, but there is lot of flexibility for students
dog bather
Inventory Specialist & Pet Bather (Former Employee) –  Chino, CASeptember 19, 2017
I worked for the company for almost a year. i went from being on the floor graveyard hours, to cashier and a dog bather. If your interested in a certain department they are more then willing to take time to teach you anything you need to know. If your looking to be a dog groomer you work commission based if you do not make your minimum of what your hourly wage would be then they will give you that instead of the commission. they will also pay for your grooming school and expenses with a year contract at signing. my girlfriends are still with the company and have relocated to different states where the company is located. they have paid vacations 401Ks and health insurance. I learned a lot during my time there that I still use on my own animals. I made life long friends there that have carried on every where i've related for the military.
Passionate place to work
Pet Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 19, 2017
Very good place to work. Id you are passionate about animals, then this is the perfect place for you! I love working here with all my favourite animals and even with my own dog!
Great place
Bather/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2017
Great place to work. Animals and workers were great to be around. Manager at the time was not that great or reliable. Learned a lot about grooming animals
poor upper management but good starting out job
Lead Stocker (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 18, 2017
The poor upper management can cause some uncertainty in the work place but other than that the pay and hours your are expected to work are average. With that in mind it is a unique place to work with various pets coming through the doors. Overall it is a good place to start working out during or out of high school.
Hard work but rewarding
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 18, 2017
The store I worked at was a cut-throat,stressful, environment with to many people working in the groom shop. The manager and her friends were prejudice, critical and gossiped. They took all the easy regular pets and gave out the matted hard to do ones. But the company was fun to work for. It was a good learning experience and I was able teach associates along with clients about animals.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
to much girls in one place.
Great animals and employees
Pet Hotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 18, 2017
I absolutely loved the interactions with customers and their pets. Fellow employees were amazing and helpful, even when the management was not. If I was offered a job back, I would definitely take it
Pros
Discount on pet food and anything in the store
Cons
management is not always the best

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.