PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,172 reviews matching the search
Job itself not bad, company is super mis-managed
Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 1, 2016
As a retain Job, PetSmart was not as bad as most other stores. The job itself was great, working with animals was great and I did learn a lot. I started at this job with 0 retail experience and will be leaving with a year of management under my belt.
However, the company is super mis-managed and run very poorly. In my district alone, almost all store leaders were either fired or transferred. there was little to no accountability among managers or associates. people did things they should have been fired for but management often did nothing. We had a thief at my store who stole over $1000.00 dollars and I had to go behind my leaders backs to get an investigation done from corporate.
the company definitely needs to hire some managers that arent afraid to stick to established rules.
Pros
Not your typical retail job, get to work with animals
Cons
bad rate if pay, mis-managed stores, hard to get full time
fun
Cashier/Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 1, 2016
Definite a fun place to work at. I made a lot of new friends and there was never a dull moment. Every day I loved going to work. Would go back there again.
Not a very good place to work.
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  McCarran, NVNovember 30, 2016
The company wasn't ran to good. Management only focused on getting production numbers up. Employees became frustrated with the way numbers where put ahead for anything.
(Feedwire Location)
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  4333 Feedwire Rd.November 30, 2016
Very team oriented. Lots of fun with good people and good managers. A hard job to give up when looking for better wages. If you need reliable pet information work in the grooming salon.
Pros
Hands on animal experience
Cons
Vending machines will steal your money
New owners trying to make a quick profit off what is left of their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MANovember 30, 2016
New ownership is terrible.. They expect the impossible, which is why they are always short-staffed. More and more good employees are leaving due to ridiculous demands, and incompetence at the corporate level. If you like to be micromanaged by people who have no clue what they are doing, then this is the place to be.
Pros
Cons
Ownership
If you love a variety of pets it's great.
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nags Head, NCNovember 29, 2016
Not many hours. Management not to good. Need to have store cleaned. Pet parents are great. Training not where it should be. Prices to high for the products sold.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Dirty store
Productive and flexible
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 29, 2016
Every day at work in fulfilling. Through PetSmart I have learned to enjoy my occupation. The management is fair and respectful of their employees, always understanding. My co-workers rock and are such team players! There is no part of the job too hard for me. The most enjoyable part is communicating with the guest.
Pros
paid 15 minute breaks
No room for advancement
Petcare Associate (Current Employee) –  Mokena, ILNovember 29, 2016
This job is very demanding and not rewarding. The management asks a lot and gives very little in return. There is no room for advancement in the company.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
short breaks, bad hours, bad management
great place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CANovember 29, 2016
Just keep busy and stay positive. And you will get raises and position advancements. And will receive extra hours. The employees and management were all easy to get along with and the atmosphere was always fun and positive. All and all its a great place to work.
Pros
good people
Cons
not enough hours
Nice good working place
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Houma, LANovember 28, 2016
They had all the machinery that was needed to get floors and restrooms clean. And doors and windows cleaning to keep the store clean and trash out . I really appreciate working there the years that I was working there.
Great atmosphere for all types of animal lovers
Petcare Specialist & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 28, 2016
I enjoy working at Petsmart very much. A typical day involves putting customers and their pets first which is the greatest feeling in the world. I have learned how to read body language of dogs and that has helped me become a better pet parent. The co-workers and managers are very helpful and always looking out for the well being of you and your clients which is all you can ever ask for.
Pros
Helping animals every single day
Exciting and stimulating environment
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WINovember 27, 2016
Working with Animals...

Working with the pet parents...

Great co-workers

The best part of the job was matching the right pet parents with the right pet and making sure they had all their needs met before going home.

The toughest part of the job was seeing the animals go. You take care of them in the sick room when they're not well, you clean them, socialize with them, get attached to them, then they're gone with someone else. It's kind of sad, but I loved it.
Pros
working with animals and people
Cons
no medical leave for part time workers, so I couldn't keep my job after my car accident
Great animals, terrible management
Salon worker (Former Employee) –  Ross Township, PANovember 26, 2016
I loved the actual job, unfortunately the managers are unqualified, petty, and immature. Multiple people quit because of new managers. It is a high school like environment filled with drama. PetSmart cares more about money than animals.
Pros
Working with the dogs
Cons
Management, overbooked, no one cares about you, rude customers
petsmart is an amazing job! love my managers and co-workers!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 26, 2016
amazing work place. he managers are amazing and the job is just awesome. couldnt ask for better people or a better work place. I love working with them
I loved my job BUT
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sevierville, TNNovember 22, 2016
I loved my job and I have met many great people through my job at Petsmart BUT the ultimate decision to leave the company came from the "set in their way" managers whom were inefficient and burnt out on retail work. They are more concerned with how much money they can put in their pockets than the well being of the company and customer base. It's sad because greed will break the spirits of some amazing employees and I had seen it happen way to often with absolutely no remorse.
Pros
Animals, flexible scheduling, laid back environment
Cons
Upper management issues, little communication between employees and management, greed over customers and animals wellbeing
Made great friends, regular raises and room to grow
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  McHenry, ILNovember 22, 2016
A typical day at work was always great, hanging out with animals is my favorite thing as I have five pets of my own.
I learned a lot about how to properly clean their homes and care for them, including administering medications to sick or hurt animals.
I also learned how to properly bathe and dry dogs as well as cleaning their ears, teeth, eyes and also cutting and grinding their nails.
The hardest part of the job was definitely working with grooming the dogs since you never know how they will act or cooperate.
Pros
So much room to grow in the company
Cons
I was only part-time
Highly educational environment, but management is very out of touch with associates
Lead Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CANovember 22, 2016
This job was physically exhausting but could be very rewarding at times. The amount of work one person was expected to do was very unrealistic and didn't always appear to have the pets' best interest in mind. Working with pets was fun and incredibly educational and customers wer generally vet pleasant and happy to share stories about their
pets.
Pros
Being able to work with animals and learn a lot, good leadership, experience
Cons
Expectations about the amount of work one person had to perform was unrealistic, not enough hours, sick pets
Great Place to Work
PetCare Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTNovember 22, 2016
The job is great and the customers are the best. Only thing I would say was bad is that the managers have their favorite workers and make it known.
Working at Petsmart
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GANovember 21, 2016
It was good until idiots started cheating the system by cancelling orders to boost rates doing the ones they wanted. After the system changed because of employees taking shortcuts the job got a lot harder due to rate changes.
Pros
pay every wk, work 4 days and off 3
Cons
too many unexpected changes at one time, supervisors encouraged bad ideas that lead to people losing their jobs.
If you like animals and cant get a job at the zoo this is the place for you
Presentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLNovember 19, 2016
As a manager in any retail establishment you have your good days and bad days but seeing the animals that would come in would brighten up anyone's day.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Long Days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.