PetSmart
1,947 reviews

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Fun work place but flawed
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), smyrnaJuly 30, 2015
Pros: great job
Cons: management, co workers
I love the tasks that my job entails: working with the pet parents, providing the best information and product reviews to assist parents on their journey to happy healthy pets, and taking care of the selection of pets we do provide. However the culture of the workplace is off, there is no sense of real teamwork, there was no real training and no consideration of the skills that I have and how to use those skills to make the environment a happier place, Management takes no responsibility for the lack of training and mistakes made but instead blame the new people for mistakes made in the work place. there are benefits but they are only provided for those who work full time and the ones for part time workers do no apply to me( I know I sounds biased). When I first started my co workers were not helpful in assisting my learning the new rules of the workplace, when I asked questions I was bounced from employee to employee and in the end had to help the customer off of the limited knowledge of pet specialty items that I already possessed.
Great Co-Workers, Poor Management
Care Associate (Current Employee), Jacksonville, NCJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Great Co-Worker environment, Friendly
Cons: Bad management, Short breaks
It is difficult for employees to get raises and grow. Some get management positions even though not as qualified as someone else. Its politics based. They have discriminated against my disabilities, since my disabilities are not necessarily physical. Am tasked to do more physical work because others either complain or claim to not be able to physically do it. Others are given breaks but I always have to ask for mine since I'm forgotten about.
Pet stylist
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Cumming, GAJuly 30, 2015
Great people and great enviroment, Grooming academy was awesome and very well informed with great grooming training where you know you are prepared for the Grooming Technical along with great salon managers to let you fly !
Pet care specialist
Sales associate (Former Employee), Annopolis,MDJuly 30, 2015
Pros: weekly pay
Cons: unfriendly employee treatment, never got a break even on slow days, all the other employees(even the newest part time member) got 30 minute breaks
A typical day at work only lasted 4 hours at max. I constantly got left with cleaning after everything because my co-worker at the time(s) would never want to do it. They would tell my boss that i was lazy and didnt want to do anything but in reality i was the one who did everything without saying a word because i didnt want to lose my job. The things i learned were things that i already knew from the start. Things like feeding animals cleaning habitats and good customer service. The management of this building was a little harsh and seemed as if they always had something against me. As far as co-workers i have only worked with 4 other people, two of which were friendly and understanding however, the other two were just pushing it and bossing me around just because i was new there. The hardest part about this job was making everyone else happy for their sake instead of everyone being treated fairly and equaly. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with all the dofferent kinds of animals.
fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 30, 2015
I personally loved working for this company because I love animals so much. I was able to wake up, go to work, and see adorable animals.
working with animals
Pet Care Associate - Volunteer (Former Employee), Canoga Park, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: keep myself busy
Cons: short hours, less experience
I really enjoy working at pet-smart as volunteer, it keeps me busy and it really make me feel good to work around animals. I learn to build confidence with animals.
Fun Place to Work
Cashier and Pet Care Associate (Current Employee), Bluffton, SCJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Cons: Short lunches
Petsmart is a wonderful place to work if you love animals and people. The people who work there are are wonderful and kind.
Caring and friendly environment
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee), Mohegan Lake, NYJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Paid vacation, paid sicks days, discretionary days, bonuses, time and a half
Cons: Not enough room for advancement, proper training not provided
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the variety of animals that come into our stores. The pet parents as well as the pets have varying personalities and are always a pleasure to help. A typical day at work does involve a lot of running around to help customers, stock shelves, and manage associates. What I have have learned from my experience at Petsmart is that everyday may bring a new challenge but challenges equal growth. I have also learned that every person has a soft spot for an animal.
Not too bad as long as you can handle stress.
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), San Antonio TXJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Benefits, decent pay
Cons: Over worked staff
Before the buyout the company was pretty good. Good benefits, decent hours, most managers work with you. Each department has its pros and cons. Salon is hectic but good money. downside is they over hire and results in more stress. PetsHotel is very easy but just requires a lot of attention to detail. Both to pets and facility. Store side is good as long as you have productive managers. Once things fall behind there is no getting back.
With the buyout things have gotten tense.
Loved my job
Presentation Manager (Current Employee), Monaca, PAJuly 26, 2015
Loved my job until the new corporation bought us out and now I'm out of a position. Sad that they can't keep management and those of us that truly enjoyed and felt passionate about our jobs.
Rewarding job with no rewards
Dog Groomer (Former Employee), Liberty, MOJuly 26, 2015
I would not ever work for Petsmart again. Being a groomer was great and making animals look good and connect with the Pet Parents. But they have horrible management and do not treat their employees well at all. I tried to advance multiple times and they would never give anyone a chance. Total favortisim in Petsmart.
Fun place to work
Call Center Rep (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Free goodies, Lunches once in a while and awards
Cons: none
I loved it here, this company it's fun with great management and the supervisors and the workforce here are great. It's just the health benefits take to long to be able to acquire them since you have to be a full time associate but other than that I love this company.
Love the People!
Bather/Sales/Cashier (Former Employee), Hickory, NCJuly 25, 2015
I love the people at PetSmart! It is a great place to work if you are there for the people. The job security and advancement is a bit lacking and the management style was not too good. But it was still a very enjoyable job.
Fun Place
Team Member (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 25, 2015
This is a great place to work if you love animals, They are very well tended to the staff really seem to act as if these pets are they're own.
great place to work until the company was sold.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Morrow, GAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: getting fired for stupid stuff
i learned how to be a dedicated hardworking manager who was in charge of 40 or more associates. opened the store, controlled inventory, profit and loss
Fun place to work
Pet Products Manager (Current Employee), SavannahJuly 24, 2015
Its a great job. Hard work is demanded everyday, always something to get done. You can move up quickly in the company if you get the job done and show them that you want to. Hardest part was just the truck day and that's just because there is so much to get done in so little time and it is not an option to not get it done. I loved playing with the animals the most. The customers were usually happy and that made my job easier knowing that they were going to leave happy.
PetSmart is rapidly changing
Petcare manager (Current Employee), North Haven, CTJuly 23, 2015
Pros: working with animals.
Cons: rapid policy changes
PetSmart was recently bought out by private investors. Policies are rapidly changing. Many people are now out of a job. If corporate was as caring as the individual stores, then this company would still be a good one in my eyes. Unfortunately, PetSmart is taking a turn for the worse.
productive team work
Independent Contractor/Opener-Closer (Former Employee), Centerville, OHJuly 23, 2015
Pros: salon manager buys us lunch when we hit certain goals
Cons: short breaks
Cool environment and great staff. Dogs loved it there and so does the pet parents. When u love your job its not hard to want to go to work everyday.
Awesome first job
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 23, 2015
I enjoyed PetSmart as my first job.
It was fun and exciting to work with customers with their pets.
I learned how to approach customers to assist them with store items.
Great for dog lovers
PetsHotel Senior (Shift Supervisor) (Former Employee), Yorba Linda, CAJuly 23, 2015
Pros: 15% off everything
Cons: in Hotel: work ALL holidays no exceptions
Store is much more relaxed environment, the PetsHotel is high stress, high turn over rate, but less customer interaction and more puppy love.

1 2 3 4 5

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more

PetSmart Salaries