PetSmart
1,303 reviews

PetSmart Employer Reviews

its always busy
Store Manager (Current Employee), Madison, WIAugust 25, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: no balance
your part of the team, you are able to control your own business
Understaffed and low-paying, but a great group of people to work with
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee), Stevenson Ranch, CAAugust 25, 2014
Pros: management really tries taking availbility into account in scheduling, breaks are stressed at the store, working with dogs
Cons: low pay, infrequent staffing, little opportunities for advancement
A typical day at work involves me ringing up an average of 30 transactions an hour. Like all retailers, the customers vary from the incredibly kind and considerate, to the short fuses, to those who are less communicative than a wall. One problem I have, which I blame corporate for more than any of the store management, is that there seems to be improper – more... staffing at times we need it the most. Often, there is rarely ever more than one person on the floor, one person in pet care, and one person on register. This makes it a lot more difficult for me to properly do my job when many (impatient) customers have yet to get help.

That being said, I have few negative things to say about the management or the co-workers. The management really does work with your life/school schedule, and the co-workers are almost always supportive and willing to help.

The hardest part of the job is definitely juggling the multiple tasks (and customers) at hand during times when we are insufficiently staffed. Another frustrating part of the job is the fact that promotions are few and far between, and raises are almost negligible.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the overall positive energy emanating from the management and co-workers. Oh, and of course the dogs. – less
Fun place to work, a lot of responsibility
Dog trainer, Pet care (Current Employee), South ElginAugust 25, 2014
Pros: animal care
Cons: a lot of work for little pay
I found it is a very laborious job. It involves a lot of responsibility. It is fun and rewarding to be so needed by all of the animals, and having answers for the pet parents.
The best JOB
Cashier (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYAugust 22, 2014
Pros: the managers are fair, co workers was so nice. very adaptive.
Cons: could not get full time.
This was the best job for me because my managers were very understanding and as well I got along with all my co workers. I had a time when I left the job because of school but when I needed a job again, they had offer me my job back which I was really grateful.
They don't care about their associates.
DC Associate (Former Employee), Reno NVAugust 22, 2014
Pros: decent starting pay vacation time.
Cons: don't care about you, low raises or no raise at all. write you up for anything.
All they care about is numbers and then when you have an accident to keep up with their unrealistic goals they let you go. They don't give you good raises if you even get a raise. If you question anything there or make suggestions they try to turn it around any say you are complaining.
good
cashier (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXAugust 21, 2014
I got to learn how to use cash registers and stock and i loved being around the pets and dogs that come in the store
Work experience at PetSmart
Stock/Recieving/Cashier/Coustomer Service (Former Employee), Bradley, ILAugust 20, 2014
Pros: 15% discount for employees.
Cons: poor camaraderie, communication, and management
-As a stock/receiver and occasional cashier. A typical day at work was interaction with customers, handling different forms of payment, and working in receiving was a job that depended on speed, efficiency, and order.

- I learned how to manage my time to the best of my abilities and I learned interesting facts about the animals.

- Management was not – more... very good at this particular PetSmart. They treated the Receiving/Stock team like we we're machines setting unrealistic goals and standards. A good day in receiving still was not good enough. Management always said we we're not fast enough even if we finished on time or ahead of schedule! Management constantly bickered behind employees backs I know this because they did a lot or the bickering in the receiving room, they acted like as if I couldn't hear them. Management also gave more hours to the younger employees. Which we're all females between 18-19 years old, and still lived with their parents. ( the store manager and operations manager are both male by the way.) The older employees constantly received fewer hours then the young kids, besides a select few like the pet trainers and groomers. Management would often call employees out on the sales floor during store hours in front of customers and other employees, rather then call them into the office. This was generally the Operations Manager and the Pet Care Specialist Manager, and on occasion the Store Manager. None of the other managers ever did this type of thing.

-Most co-workers we're enjoyable to work with especially the cashiers, Presentation Manager and the Stock team.

- This job was fairly easy besides the constant nagging from the Store and Operations Managers.

- Most enjoyable part of this job was Cashiering, and honestly clocking out/lunch. – less
Work
Team Leader/Stocker (Former Employee), Savannah, GAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good and friendly enviroment
Cons: not good hours
Not long hours and you really cant provide for your family off of the hours given
Safe
Pet Care Specialist/Front Counter (Former Employee), mesquite, txAugust 19, 2014
Took care of pets and played with the. Learned pets are humans to we have to take care of them like we would take care of our self. Nice friendly people. dealing with big dogs. Playing and interacting with the pets and there parents
Good Place to work
Picker (Current Employee), Groveport, OHAugust 19, 2014
Job was okay the management was great! Employees was great to work around they helped out alot when needed. The hardest part of the job was the lifting. The most enjoyable part of the job was the breaks.
fun place to work
Cashier, customer service (Former Employee), murfreesboro tnAugust 19, 2014
opening the register making sure your work area is clean and has all the supplies you need, greet customers. talk to customers play with their pets provide customer service.
Fun and busy
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), Cedar Park, TXAugust 18, 2014
There was a big work load for the little amount of time given. I enjoyed working with the animals and helping the store gain credibility by higher ups. Management seemed all over the place and depended a lot on the associates. I had the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge which is much appreciated. It was a fun environment and everyone was, – more... at times, very relaxed and easy going. You are never not doing anything. Every minute of the day is busy and if you think you're done, think again. – less
Dog Trainer (Former Employee), Willow Grove, PAAugust 18, 2014
Received a lot of hands on training as well as accredited training through the corporation. The compensation could've been better, but I did get a lot of clients in the door because it was publicly advertised. Worked at 3 different stores. Longest I worked for the company was one year straight (Oct '09 -Oct '10) at the Jacksonville, NC store. I left – more... the stores because of my husband's job relocating. – less
took care of lots of diffrent animals
Pet Care Attendant (Former Employee), East Hanover, NJAugust 18, 2014
i wold go in and check on the cats and dogs, then record the dogs intake and out put, feed them fresh food and water every 3 hours, then buff the hotel floors and clean the hotel windows, and in the morning i would clean the cats cage and give fresh food and water.
Productive and Inclusive Workplace
PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Yorba Linda, CAAugust 17, 2014
I have been working at Petsmart for 3 years and have enjoyed my time there. My coworkers are very nice and inclusive of others. The managers and assistant managers are very nice and are always there to help the lower-ranked associates. Everyone tries their best to be considerate and understanding with our customers and make their pet's stay a good one.
Caring and creative people with a common goal
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2014
Pros: dogs and kitties
Cons: hard on feet
Petsmart is a second family to me. They hired me after my being a stay at home mom for 20 years. I have gained tons of knowledge and continue to do so on a daily basis.
Fun Company, but lacks critical information
Petcare Specialist (Former Employee), Warminster, PAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: customers were very receptive of the information given
Cons: management outside of the department did not know how to properly take care of specialty animals.
A typical day at work would have me feeding, cleaning, and maintaining the specialty animals and providing customers with the proper information if they wanted to purchase them. I learned about some unique pieces of information in regards to certain animals and even taught others due to my background as a biology major at the time. Unfortunately management – more... outside of my department did not understand how much effort it took to maintain proper habitats for the animals and would often rush myself and other coworkers to leave a job half done, which would influence the animal's health negatively. – less
Very fun workplace, where you get to deal with pets and their owners.
Store Manager / Operations Manager (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COAugust 15, 2014
Pros: 15% discount on pet supplies, with 30% events for employees several times a year.
Cons: not a lot of opportunity for senior management advancement.
As a manager, my day would consist of the supervising the day to day functions of our stocking team, the pet care department, grooming salon, as well as cashiers and other managers.
I have learned to deal with and care for all types of pets and the needs of their owners.
Most of the managers are very passionate and understand the needs of the customers, – more... while, as with any company, some managers are just there for a job.
Most of the associates care for the animals and their needs.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with the illness, injury or death of a pet.
The most enjoyable part of the job is visiting with all the different pets that come into our stores. Nothing like getting to know and play with the excited puppies that visit us daily. – less
Wow
Associate (Current Employee), Killeen, TXAugust 15, 2014
Its a great second job but they don't have any advance opportunities even tho they say they do.
good place to work
pet product specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 15, 2014
i enjoyed working around the animals and assiting customers with questions, mt day consisted of stocking shelves and assisting customers

1 2 3 4 5

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more