PetSmart Employee Review

Fast-paced environment with large focus on care for associates and pet parents.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAOctober 26, 2013
At PetSmart our team continuously strived to perform better than the day before. Our performance did not just depend on meeting our sales numbers, but our ability to be good leaders. Our district focused on coaching our sales associates in order to help them reach their highest potential thereby creating a work environment that proved beneficial for the associates, managers and ultimately the pet parents. As an Operations Manager I was responsible to maintain the store's operations, including assisting all sales associates with issues or questions, store maintenance, and ordering store supplies, while staying within a budget. In addition, coordinate payroll for a staff of 35 to ensure that hours, commission, holiday, vacation and sick time were applied accordingly.

I worked very closely with a team of six managers, the Store Director being one of them. As second in command, I was responsible for each Department Manager and had to ensure that each manager was following all policies and procedures. As a team, we worked together to figure out how to be more productive under the strict guidelines we were under. The Policies and Procedures needed in a retail environment were difficult to work under given the outcome that was expected. This made it a unique challenge to complete tasks assigned to Operations Manager while also acting as customer service. While I feel that one of my strengths is multi-tasking, this was an area of the position that proved to be a stressful challenge every day.

I enjoyed working with the management team to develop better strategies which would
  more... ultimately lead to success or an area of opportunity. In addition to working with the management team, I thoroughly enjoyed working with the sales associates. As Operations Managers I was also responsible to provide a caring work environment for the sales associates and I enjoyed that very much. Through the CARE initiative I was able to focus more on the development of each associate and develop their skills in critical thinking, problem solving and general customer service skills. I was also able to work on more of the fun aspect such as redesigning the break room and providing recognition rewards.

Throughout this position I developed leadership skills that I feel are very unique. Given the work environment, I was able to learn how to lead sales associates and a team of managers. I was also appointed to a six-member District Development Committee and learned how to teach other Operations Managers as well as Store Managers different Leadership Techniques. In addition to Leadership skills, I also further developed my skills in multi-tasking, team work and responsibility. In addition, I gained skills in talent searching, developing and implementing action plans, coordinating payroll and scheduling.
Pros
Freedom to encourage and inspire within PetSmart guidelines
Cons
Ten to twelve hour days, work on Holidays.

Other PetSmart Employee Reviews

Nightmare
Manager (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJFebruary 17, 2018
I worked at the Moorestown, NJ PetSmart on Nixon Drive. When I started my job there, it was great. I had great managers and coworkers. It was a job that I loved to do and the customers came to know me. I was always busy working there and had work to do.
The reason why I am giving it low ratings is because of the new management. A new store manager took over and the store is now a living nightmare to work at. The store manager is the cause of dozens and dozens of former employees and managers to lose their jobs or livelihoods. Employees either walked out, never to return or has gotten fired due to the store manager L'erin Gaines. If you apply there make sure that he's no longer there, if he is still there RUN.
Great for Beginners, Needs work to keep established employees
PetStylist/ Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, IN and Noblesville INFebruary 17, 2018
Working there was great, until they started to take away some of the things that made being an established, long term employee, attractive. They capped the amount of vacation time received. Rarely got reviews or was told anything until there was a list of things I had done wrong to go through.
Pros
Good safety rule if they are followed; relationships with clients
Cons
unrealistic expectations; management turn-over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K