PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,152 reviews matching the search
You get to pet animals, what else do you need?!?
Customer Engagement Leader (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 24, 2017
Working here is both fun and challenging. The people are great and the Managers are really nice. It's a real education here, with all the various creatures we have here.
Pros
Getting to meet and great all the cute dogs and cats.
Cons
Rude customers, who don't clean up after their pets.
Easy money
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Berlin, CTJuly 24, 2017
Easy money, all you do is stand at the cash register for cashier/sales associate position. Good environment, good people, get to play with the animals, but boring.
Pros
flexible scheduling, lots of freedom, easy money
Cons
no direction from managers unless prompted by me, boring
Productive work place
DOG GROOMER AND RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  San Juan Capistrano, CAJuly 24, 2017
Very fast paced and well managed work space. They are very welcoming and do as much as they can to assist and provide for their employees. The benefits are fair and the people I experienced working with were very level headed and educated individuals.
Big companies suck
Pet Care Specialist and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 24, 2017
In any big company you are easily replaceable to them. Petsmart treated me like trash I was hired and told oh you'll get 20+ hours a week but the moment you request time off say hello to 9 hours a week and those are 2 4.5 hour days of closing on the weekend absolutely ridiculous
Overly stressful
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJuly 24, 2017
The thing that made this a stressful place to work was the very unbalanced workforce. There were more people employed as supervisors than any other position, making it hard for them to do their job as they were constantly in the back assisting the small numbers of associates.
Pros
Good learning experience for anyone who loves animals
Cons
Bad management, REALLY bad environment (loud, congested, etc.)
Petsmart
Merchandise & Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 24, 2017
It's a great place to work. Typical day consent of puppies and the occasional irate customer, but that kinda situation is easy to diffuse. The workplace culture is all about SELLING.
Fun place to work, great people
Lead Stocker (Former Employee) –  889 NE 25th Ave, Hillsboro, OR 97124July 24, 2017
One of my favorite jobs i ever had. Pet people are naturally empathetic so every customer i worked with was in their own way very kind. My coworkers were interesting and the job itself paid ok with various tasks to mix it up.
Pros
Interesting people, regular interactions with animals.
Cons
Less sanitary than typical stores
Petsmart
Lead Cashier and Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 23, 2017
I was a cashier for petsmart for 3 years. The work is easy. The managers were nice in my store and I never really had a problem taking days of when I needed them.
Good way to shape your work ethic
Cashier/Pet Care Specialist/ Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 22, 2017
Working for a place that has constant people in and out of the store really keeps you on your toes. You learn to multi task helping multiple customers at once while also still performing your job duties.
Its great but....
Dog bather (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 22, 2017
As a bather I love the work I do but not the corporation who runs it. The higher ups care more about profit than quality and safety of pets and employees. They expect you to churn out up to 8 dogs a day regardless of size and age for the most part and drop everything to take care of walk ins. On top of answering phones and checking dogs in and out and helping customers. Which results in rarely getting lunch breaks and leaving late which between the low blood sugar, dehydration (due to how hot and humid it is) and complete exhaustion potentially risking safety to the animals and staff. Salon managers have to go along with whatever expectation corporate deems possible despite knowing the reality.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
No breaks, overbooked, company cares more about money than anything else
Petsmart Review
Pet Trainer, GSA, Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 22, 2017
This job is great at first but then you quickly get overloaded. Management does not care about your well-being or about how hard you work for them, they clearly only care about productivity of the company. Also, they fail to promote within the company or give adequate raises.
Poor Managment and Terrible Organization
Cashier and Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYJuly 22, 2017
This review is only for the Newburgh, NY store.

The Management there is overwhelmingly tough. They seem to treat their employees like machines, expecting them to do more jobs than physically possible at one time.

The manager of Pet care has never worked in Pet Care and doesn't even want to touch half the animals in the department. The Store manager has out right told employees that she hates some of the pets they house in the shop.

Something needs to be done about the store and despite multiple complaints from fellow employees, things haven't changed.
Slave Drivers
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Rockaway, NJJuly 22, 2017
You lose your connection to the outside world, you can't purse grooming outside of PetSmart, you have no time for hobbies, or family and friends. Very draining on mental health. I would choose somewhere else.
Great workplace
Pet Care Associate / Safety Team Co-Captain (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 21, 2017
Absolutely love this job. At my store we have amazing staff and managers who are a joy to be around and make work fun to be at. I have met many friends here and everybody at the store feels like family. Sometimes we get unpleasant customers but we get full support from co-workers so it doesn't usually affect us throughout the day and we can get over it relatively quickly. There are a lot of regulars who are very nice and are quick to tell you how thankful they are for your help. I have gained valuable experience working here that will help me further my career in animal care as I worked with animals everyday I worked there. Would recommend this store to anybody.
about Petsmart
Order Filler (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILJuly 21, 2017
on a neutral ground training can be good but it depends on who you get as a trainer because not all trainers or technical trainers are good. they have bad turnover ration so a lot a people don't last very long. If you are looking for help try to ask people who have been there for awhile. You need to have a strong work ethic to work here. If you are willing to work around problems on the floor and follow safety rules you will do good at this job.
Pros
great pay, good benefits, fellow workers are nice, get pay for performance, if the building goes so many days safe you get a free lunch
Cons
Mangement is always changing rules. They are not consistent on how they want to get things done, You don't get alot of sick time so you have to plan how to use your sick time, sometimes have to clean up messes that people leave behind, Supervisors don't go above and beyond like there suppose to get assoicates to succeed at there job.
Not to bad of a place to work
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  11101 clive iaJuly 21, 2017
It wasnt thag bad of a job just wanted to do something differnt to do.i had help customers be on cash registir.
I had to stock the shevles anf face the store
Pros
Sometime we got to leave early
Cons
Heathcare
Used to be great, not so much anymore.
Customer Engagement Leader (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLJuly 21, 2017
After being bought out by a British firm in 2015, the company has taken a down turn. With only caring about profit, the associate benefits and incentives habe gone out the window, and with Amazon becoming the great force that it is, retail as a whole is going down.
Pros
Work with animals, partly
Cons
Corporate, Pay
Fun , upbeat place to work
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CAJuly 20, 2017
Petsmart is a fun environment with caring, knowledgeable and compassionate staff.they provide a competitive environment for advancement. Management makes genuine connections with staff and customers.
Love working with animals
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 20, 2017
Sometimes unorganized rabble. Would be a fine job if everyone in grooming gets along, but that does not happen. Prepare for drama. If you love animals more than you hate gossip and petty bickering this is a good job for you. You will learn a lot about animals in grooming. No full-time unless you sign a 2-year grooming contract. If you quit before then, you have to pay back the grooming school.
Pros
Working with animals, having first access to adoptions, set schedule
Cons
No real healthcare, cramped working space
quick paced
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAJuly 20, 2017
great place to work. Management is understanding and team is supportive. Some people are chatty (gossip) so I don't recommend getting to personal with people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval