PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,444 reviews matching the search
Fun workplace
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 28, 2017
You have the opportunity to work with animals in any avenue, whether it's with mostly dogs and cats through the PetsHotel, or with reptiles, fish, and birds, to name a few. Your schedule can be very flexible, but can change a lot based on the needs for that week.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Sometimes unpredictable hours
I love animals, not so much the pet parents
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 27, 2017
You are always busy early morning and closing shifts at PetSmart. As for the middle of the day, you are dying of boredom. Working up close with the animals was amazing. You got to socialize with them, care of them, and make sure they are living in a comfortable environment. The management wasn't that great where I worked, but I have heard differently from other stores. Work schedule was pretty good, breaks were on time, and if you love animals, it is a fun job! Pet parents are TERRIBLE though. Worst kind of customers you'll ever have to deal with when it comes to retail.
fun workplace
Petcare Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 27, 2017
Give animals clean water/food, Assisting Pet Parents,Caring for kind of animals,Cleaning
fish tanks,reptiles habitat,small pets and bird cages,Provide customer Service,Making sure
all Pet Parents leave the store happy.
I loved the pets!
Groomer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2017
I worked for this company twice and the first time was back in 2002 and i enjoyed it very much... The second time around I did not enjoy it as much. The moral and management just went downhill and it was not the same environment as before. Managers cared more about overworking there employees for profit... Not working with employees on days off or request off days etc. Just very unpleasant environment at the end. If you take care of your employees and show you appreciate them can go a long way...
Fun workplace with cute animals
Pet Care Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Turnersville, NJFebruary 26, 2017
A typical day at work consists of cleaning, handling animals and providing the proper care for them, helping customers with various questions and issues, cleaning, and organizing. The workplace culture at my particular store was nice, we are like one big family. We all get along for the most part but can push buttons on occasion. Management is good but there is a running theme of communication problems between them and the associates. I learned how to handle rude, impatient, and flustered customers. I learned that its better to go to a manager when there is a problem rather than figuring it out on your own. The hardest part of the job is making sure everything stays clean for the health of the animals. The most enjoyable part of the job is a tie between playing with the animals and getting to work with friends that I made at work.
Pros
Nice break room, nice location
Cons
communication issues
Great job for animal lovers
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FL 33709February 26, 2017
You learn a lot of information on different pet foods and how to take care of the pets. Many things that most people don't know. You are expected to help everyone with whatever they need.
Puppies!
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLFebruary 26, 2017
I loved the customers and all the animals, but the management was awful and so was the building. Found dead rats, and black mold everywhere. Not to mention the creepy managers that stare at you butt all day. No thanks.
Dog Training fun
Pet Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLFebruary 26, 2017
I enjoyed training pets and their parents. I learned how to do all aspects of working in retail including pricing, stocking, and more.
Amazing experience
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Arvada, COFebruary 25, 2017
My location was very fast paced on weekends and nights after a work day. You had to be able to multitask and communicate efficiently in order to succeed.
dont do it
Customer Engagement manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 25, 2017
they sucker you In with your love of pets when in all actuality its all about them making money, and making people who cant afford the most expensive dog food feel bad.
Pros
discount on food and services, enteractions with the customers and pets
Cons
managment, constant change in policy
Great!
Professional Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Morehead City, NCFebruary 24, 2017
Amazing starter job! Moving up in petsmart if your willing to work is very easy! They will help you the whole way through if youre willing to help yourself!
Fun place to work at and great learning experiences.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 24, 2017
Different job titles. Great learning experiences with different animals. Employees are great to work with. Fun interacting with customers and their animals.
Pros
Getting to work with animals
Cons
N/A
very high employee turnaround
Groomer/Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXFebruary 23, 2017
It was a good job as long as you didn't make any mistakes. There is a completely different staff there now from when i first started 3 years ago.
Pros
good fellow workers
Cons
poor managment
A fun job where I learned a lot
Dog Boarding Manager (Current Employee) –  Milford, OHFebruary 23, 2017
I get to work with an immediate team that is great and productive. I deal with customers, dogs, coworkers, paperwork, and cleaning. I've learned how to give the best customer service, managing skills, organization skills, dealing with coworkers during good and bad periods, how to care for living things, dog nutrition, dog training, dog bathing, and more. The company could focus more on their employees and teaching managers better people skills.
Company that values customers but not employees
Professional Stylist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 22, 2017
Like a typical retail chain, Petsmart holds their customer satisfaction as the highest priority. Unfortunately Petsmarts biggest downfall is just this. They uphold their "Look Great" guarantee at the expense of their employees. In my last 7+ years, I've had my ups and downs with the company. The worse of which was going through harassment by my Operations Manager and having HR turn a blind eye.
However, after transferring stores (and some internal shifting with the company) Petsmart has shaped itself into a brand new environment to work in with a stronger work culture of teamwork. A few things are left to work on, like pet scheduling in the salon, the new system they use to do this that is riddled with bugs and other problems, and refusing to hire "eager people" which is leading to a shortage on coverage.
For the most part though, if you are willing to work and do your job, Petsmart is a fair place to work.
Pros
Work with college schedules
Cons
Constant schedule changes
Very nice place full of nice people
Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2017
As a dog bather, this job was a very stressful job. Phones going off all the time, having to stop what you're doing to accommodate walk-ins.
I loved the dogs. Even the ones that were aggressive. I understood that they were nervous.
But the job takes its toll on you. Everything starts to ache, all the people yelling at you and having to wash over 8 large dogs in a shift full of never-ending phone calls and walk-ins... It's tough.
Management didn't care much about what happened in the grooming salon, and that was hard on groomers and bathers because we interacted with so many dogs and we needed them to deal with problems that were bound to happen.
I loved my coworkers though. They wouldn't be doing the job if they didn't love animals. They were a lovely group of women who always tried their best to take away some of my stress.
Pros
Nice coworkers, dogs, tips
Cons
walk-ins, management, stress
Customer Service
Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 22, 2017
My job is pretty much customer service and making sure associates are where they are supposed to be at any given time. I do enjoy working there. My coworkers are awesome and customers are friendly.
Fun place to work
Receptionist / Dog Bather/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 22, 2017
I loved what I did ! Definitely a lot of fun and can get a little stressful when overbooked but the dogs make it fun and interesting.
Cons
Favoritism
Fun but not easy to get a promotion
Manager (Current Employee) –  Paragould, ARFebruary 22, 2017
Promotions are hard to come by. You are never "ready" to be promoted. It is a great company to work for though. Very fun and eventful.
Customer service is the only thing that matters and taking care of the animals.
Pet care associate/cashier/dog bather/stocker (Former Employee) –  Wilkesboro, NCFebruary 21, 2017
Customer service, cashier, pet care associate, dog bather, stocker. Got things that customers needed, answered any questions, took care of the dogs and other animals that were there. Make sure everything is stocked and all shelves looked good and items were rotated properly. Being short handed really made for a long day but the job always got done.
Pros
Animals, customer service
Cons
Being part time, no insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.