PetSmart
1,634 reviews

PetSmart Employer Reviews

Fun workplace with pets
Cashier/Groomer/Stocker (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDMarch 3, 2015
Pros: get to play with dogs and cats and kids
Cons: constant heavy lifting
I enjoy working at petsmart i learned a lot of new information about pets how to keep them in better health. Everyday at work i will help and greet customers with what ever they need from carrying there items to there vehicles to giving them advice on there pets. most of my co-workers are great at team work for the most part. The hardest part of my job is the constant heavy lifting. the most enjoyable thing i get to do threw the day is get to help customers with there pets i like to help customers with there issues that they are having at home and mostly they will come find me personally at the store to thank me and to show what a difference i have made.
fun, interesting job
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Glendale, AZMarch 3, 2015
grooming 5 to 7 dogs a day, I was taught to groom there and will always be grateful for that.
management was always changing that was a drawback
I loved my co workers and still talk to some of them today.

The physical part was difficult, working with the animals.
Productive and fun workplace
Bather/ Receptionist (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMarch 3, 2015
Pros: hour break
Cons: limited hours
A typical day at work consists of straight to work as soon as i clock in. I had phones immediately to answer, questions waiting for response to answers, files that needed to be reviewed, marked, and shredded. After all those duties had to was up to 10 dogs in less than 5 hours.
Very fun workplace and lots of trust given
Cashier, Sales Associate, & Stocker (Former Employee), Chandler, AZMarch 2, 2015
Managers were very willing to help associates on any tasks. Also gave a lot of responsibility to employees on selling, negotiating, or saving a sale.
friendly enviorment, management not so undertsanding, rude customers, very clean
Pets Hotel Associate (seasonal) (Former Employee), Glendora, CAMarch 2, 2015
I wouldn't say it was the best place to work but I did have fun working with all the animals and being around them al day. management wasn't so understanding of my medical issue and not very organized.
Fun Place to Work
Pet Care Specialist/ Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Merced, CAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: not a lot of hours
Love working with people and animals. Great management, and overall fun environment to work in. Just wish they gave more hours.
Fun place to work
Pet Care (Former Employee), Mount Pleasant, SCMarch 2, 2015
I found that the environment of working in a pet store was once that I employed, however there were issues within the structure of the system and daily tasks that led me to leave this position.
productive and fun workplace working with animals
Night Care Specialist & Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), willow grove, paMarch 2, 2015
working with animals, medically assist them, and cleaning to make a safe and clean environment. lifting and moving items up to 50 lbs.
Petsmart Week by Week
Early Morning Stocker (Current Employee), Sand City, CAMarch 1, 2015
Petsmart overall is a pretty reasonable place to work DEPENDING on certain things.
1) Your Managers!
-if you have managers that arent organized then you are in for a hard work experience full of repeating the same tasks because people keep messing up.
-if you have an inexperienced Operations Manager then your hours will fluctuate. so if you are looking for constant hours ask your operations manager NOT your General manager.
2) Your Team!
-Wether it be the early stock team, petcare, cashier, or grooming you need to have a reliable team. If not then you are in for extended hours and a tough day of work.
-if you have experienced team members to ask questions and help learn things from them then you can get some easy tips on your job.
3)Yourself!
-You have to be responsible and learn as fast as you can to learn tips and tricks on your own.
-If interested ask the Presentation manager about getting certified on the Forklift! if a great thing to have on your resume and good to know how to drive heavy machinery.

I have worked at both a great store and a store that needed a lot of help so i can say that i have a good sense of BOTH sides.
The biggest problem for me is the hours. My hours have gone from 30 hours a week down to about 10 hours in a few months.
slow paced
bather (Current Employee), dundalk marylandMarch 1, 2015
Pros: works well with other schedules
Cons: if you dont have time for a break you cant take it, hours are always different
depending on the day it is typically slow. the people i work with i like but the customers not so much. they do work very well with me with my school, it is a good job if you are looking for something extra to do but not a life long job
Retail with multiple services. Plus pets!
Store Manager (Former Employee), Stamford, CTMarch 1, 2015
Pros: pay & benefits
Cons: company going through a lot of change.
If you love pets and have a strong passion for business PetSmart might be the place for you. Typical day consisted of following up on work delegated, verifying standards of the store are being upheld, delegating new work, district wide communication, customer service a must in the afternoon. Oversight of the multiple services (salon, training, hotel). Store managers typically have enough staff but if you think that you won't have to scoop some fish or bag some crickets every now and then you are mistaken. Especially during breaks. Customers are generally nice but there is definitely the customer every now and then who comes in that probably spends too much time with their pet and should maybe spend more time properly interacting will other people.
A decent place to work
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Monrovia, CAFebruary 28, 2015
PetSmart as a company is a great company to idealize, until you work for them. The facade that they maintain is that they are people and animal friendly; however like many other retail giants they only care about the money. Sure they run adoption fairs and community events but the employees are treated unfairly and the politics of the place a something that need to go.
Productive Place to work
Professional Bather (Current Employee), Oviedo, FLFebruary 27, 2015
A typical day at the grooming salon consists of phone calls and setting appointments and depending on the day you usually have 4 or more dogs to do. The management is alright where I work I jut wish they worked better with you when it comes to the schedule and hours. My co-workers are very friendly and treat you like family and I enjoy where I work I am just looking for something that will give me better hours and that will work with me when it comes to my schedule because I am a full time student.
Very good company to work for.
Presentation Manager (Current Employee), Burlington NCFebruary 26, 2015
I always had a great time working for this company. I have met a lot pets and people. Making sure my store is full so the wonderful pets always had reasons to visit us made the job easier.
Very Fun Place to Work
Pet Trainer (Current Employee), Abilene, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: the animals and the coworkers
I have been with this compyany for 2 years, and everything with our management is awesome, they come and help you if you need help. The coworkers are excellent they have an upbeat personality and vibe that makes working there so much fun. I would say the hardest part of the job is selling salon add ons and selling classes. The best part of the job is having all of those excellent pets coming into the store.
Fun workplace with great peers and management. Flexible scheduling.
Pet Trainer/ cashier (Former Employee), Ashland, KYFebruary 26, 2015
A typical work day would be, coming in and clocking in. Then making sure my classes are in order. I learned so much more communication skills than what I had. The management there was amazing, and so friendly. My co-workers were some of the best and very easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was scheduling the classes to fit my hours for the week. The most enjoyable part was just the people that I worked with were awesome.
Good company to grow your skills with.
Salon Manager/Stylist (Current Employee), Manahawkin, NJFebruary 26, 2015
Many advancement opportunities and some good managers to learn from. However, at a certain point the work becomes boring and there isn't enough to do. Wasn't happy and needed a challenge.
A Season Dog Watcher.
Guest Service Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Fremont, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, working with pets is great, connecting with people in a different way.
Cons: pay was just over minimum wage, hours died down near the end to only work a couple days a week, some pet parents were very rude.
When I first went into this interview it was just as a seasonal Cashier position but when I got to talking with the manager I told her about my interest in hotels and she was really excited that I wanted to work in that area. 5 minutes into the interview I was already told that she liked me and we went over to the hotel in the store to take a tour of the place. It was really amazing that I would be able to get hotel experience and work with some of my favorite animals.

I was offered the job the same day to work at the front desk but I just needed to take a urinalysis to make sure that I was drug free. I was fine with that and did it the same day and called up the manager (this was on a Thursday). That Sunday was my first day of training and it was really interesting.

Now my job as a Guest Service Associate varied depending on what time my shift was but here's the run down. Getting there in the early morning meant that I would go through the paperwork that the previous night had done. Going through Master Boarding Agreements (MBA) to ensure everything is correct and update it in the TouchPoint system. This time is also the heaviest time in regards to check-ins because most people drop their dogs off for Doggy Day Camp so they can go to work. The check in goes something like this:

If the Pet Parent (PP) is a regular we already know the name and dog so we do a quick look-up and pull out the paperwork. We go over what the pet will do for the day, if they'll be fed, if they have medications, what time they'll get picked up and do a quick check of the pet to make sure everything – more... is in order. Then we print out a service card, inventory the items that they brought and by this time the pet is already in the back.

After the main host of PP come in we go through confirmation calls to ensure the PP is knows about our policy on vaccines, if they need a new MBA and to ensure the dates of their pet's stay. Once the calls are done we make set packets to ensure whomever does the check-ins knows of any special circumstances like if the PP is bringing in medication, if the dog is individual or group play and if they need updated vaccines or MBA.

When the set packets and confirmation calls are done then it goes onto writing the PAWgress Reports for both cats and dogs. This is a record of how the pet liked their stay and has a comment section for the Pet Care Specialist to make notes but can also be done by the Guest Service Associate if it's too busy in the back. It goes over how playful the pet was, if they ate all their food, if they had trouble going potty and a sort of general behavior or if they made any friends during their stay.

I'll say that this is one of the more favorite jobs that I've worked before and the people were really great. Every time I went to work we'd great each other and have a little small talk and there was even a holiday pot luck while I was here as well because everyone ended up working a short shift on Christmas. My favorite thing to learn about was TouchPoint because I've been wanting to get into hotels and this was a little taste of what to expect with a check-in system. Overall it was a fun job and I'm a little sad that it ended because I was only there for the holiday season. – less
Great Benefits
Designer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 25, 2015
PetSmart is a fun environment to work in. The company offers lots of perks to its employees. It isn't the greatest creative environment if you are looking for a job in a creative field, however.
Fantastic Place to Work
Pet Trainer / Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Fountain Valley, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great managent, firm but fair
Cons: none really
I loved working for Petsmart! Being an animal person, working in a pet environment couldn't be better. I was the lead dog trainer and I loved meeting new pet parents all of the time and watching them learn and grow with their furry friends.

1 2 3 4 5

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more