PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,287 reviews matching the search
Unrealistic Expectations
Merchandising and Inventory Leader (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 17, 2017
Doing what used to be spread over 3 managers by myself, this became increasingly difficult. Honestly CEO really needs to reevaluate what they think people can do by themselves. They are asking way too much without any resources.
Just Fine
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAAugust 16, 2017
PetSmart has made recent changes to their customer service style that many existing employees are finding difficult to adjust to. The work is pleasant, for the most part. Customer service can be tricky until you've learnt about the products.
Pros
you get to be around animals
Cons
pay, unusual changes being made
Loving Staff
Petshotel Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 16, 2017
The staff here was very kind and open. Everyone there loves to help each other out. The hotel stinks at times. You break up dog fights all day long along with cleaning up after animals. if you love dogs you'll be happy but for sure stressed out. It takes strong people to work there.
A Great Pet Lover Industry
Pet Care Manager/Presentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Levittown, NYAugust 16, 2017
Great company to start working for. Great opportunity for advancement. Organized training and leadership. Safe and family oriented working conditions. Management is cohesive. Competitive wages.
Pros
Management is well organized
Cons
Company Policies Sometimes conflict with real life
Friendly co-workers, room for advancement
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHAugust 16, 2017
Typical day working with 8 to 10 dogs in addition to walk-ins. Learned time management skills. Enjoyed working with co-workers they definitely have your back.
Pros
Good co-workers, room for advancement if desired
Cons
Small salary adjustments
Corporate not caring about their workers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALAugust 16, 2017
I lay be the people I work with I just hate the hours. I would love more hours to work there. Management is fine. I wish corporate looked at up ashore then just workers. Me and a lot of the staff that worked there went through a dramatic change when our store manager passed away and the told us they were not closing the store that we would have to get shifts covered or not go to his funeral and I don't think that's right.
Pros
Friends you make
Cons
Hours
Pretty nice place
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 16, 2017
I would definitely recommend this job to someone who is a people person and has anxiety. This job is challenging at times but it is something that does not induce anxiety often
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Not many benefits to have unless fulltime
not a great place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Holland, OHAugust 15, 2017
management at my location is super unorganized and biased. You get told how to do something by one manager then get told it is completely wrong by the next. The pay sucks for what we do and the type of people that we deal with, especially because it's usually such a high stress job. Only planning on staying here long enough to get a decent amount of experience so i can go somewhere that i'm actually happy working at.
Pros
15% employee discount
Cons
rude customers, unorganized management
Stressful
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAAugust 15, 2017
pay was pretty good but advancing was not happening and i dont want a job im looking for a long term career goal not being stuck starting at the bottom and ending there too
I love Petsmart
Petcare, Bather, Cashier, Stocker (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCAugust 15, 2017
This is hands down the greatest company I have ever worked for. I wouldn't have left the company if it wasn't for the military relocating us over seas. Since I am back in the US am hoping to work for the company again. I loved the atmosphere, working with pet parents and their pets. Or helping a customer find their perfect pet.
Poor communication which made day to day proceeses struggle.
Assistant Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXAugust 15, 2017
Typical work day was coming in checking what the priorities were for the day, checking to make sure the morning paperwork was completed and price changes were completed. Checking with the salon to make sure their were no issues and the pets were safe and no issues, .making sure the day to day processes were getting completed, giving the direction to sales floor associates and department leads and follow up with them. Working on schedules and payroll is done.
Pros
Working with animals.
Cons
Very poor communication with store manager.
Fun Place to Work
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHAugust 15, 2017
The management team and co-workers are great people to work with. The work can be stressful or boring at times, but overall it's a great place to work. The pay could be better, but it's great for people looking for a part-time job while they are going to school.
PetSmart
Cashier and PetCare Associate (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 15, 2017
My typical day at work was fairly relaxed and easy going. The customers are great, you get to see all the pets that walk in and out the door. I learned many things in PetCare such as caring for the animals, medicating them, showing them to customers and educating them in a new future pet they be interested in buying. Hardest part of the job was probably the facing of the store overall not something to struggle with to much. I enjoyed the environment, my coworkers, the customers, and the many different pets!
Pros
15% Discount for Employees
Cons
Short Breaks, No Full-Time Positions
Decent job to advance pretty quickly in, but no long term benefits.
Grooming Salon - Bather (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 15, 2017
Worked as a bather for about a year and had plenty of opportunities to advance to a groomer because they're always looking to get more and they offer a paid training program after you show that you're capable, but it's a 2 year contract and you don't get any raises or bonuses, even after working for 10 years like some of my coworkers have. You can still rake in some really good money as a groomer if you actually work hard, but with dogs being unpredictable and often violent it can be a very high-stress job.

Management was pretty decent in store at least, but on a corporate level there is a huge disconnect from in store, and things get messed up all the time.
Pros
Fast advancement to groomer if capable, fully paid training, tips!
Cons
High stress, no long term benefits, mediocre starting pay for amount of work.
Good place
Associate Lead (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLAugust 15, 2017
For the most part, I really enjoyed working at PetSmart. I really needed Full-Time and they did not provide full time. I also did not really enjoy working with the store manager.
Ok place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 15, 2017
This job is part time with little room for advancing. Management is hit or miss. If you like working around pets you may like the job but don't expect much of a future with the company.
Nice friendly coworkers and 15% off discount
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALAugust 15, 2017
All of my coworkers are nice and make sure that things are going well and help when help is needed. I feel comfortable asking for assistance if needed. You also receive 15% off when you start working, which has definitely come handy.
Normal retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2017
This is just what you would expect from any retail job. They only real difference here is that you have to be some what knowledgeable of animals. People are very protective of their pets.
Pros
Good starter job
Cons
Retail
Petcare worker at PetSmart
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 14, 2017
The best part about working for petsmart were the animals and the returning customers.
I enjoyed teaching them about the products and animals, and it was also encouraged by my bosses.
The bosses werent mean but they could be more appreciative of the work done instead of only seeing what was left to do.
Pros
Working with animals and learning to administer medication
Cons
You can tell when the managers are having a bad day. The scheduling was always incorrect.
Be careful of upper management
Pethotel Senior/management (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 14, 2017
Employee moral was low at my location. Staff was over worked, animals were not cared for and management used many intimidation tactics to get what they wanted. If they didn't intimidate, they would either lie to your face or leave you to fend for yourself even when lives of animals were potentially at stake. Some locations are good...this one,...STAY AWAY FROM THE LARGE HOTELS. They won't staff approproately which leads to chaos. No one can keep up. All staff was tired and overwheamed.
Pros
Staff cared...
Cons
Some animal abuse occured and major sanitation issues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.