PetSmart Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,768 reviews matching the search
fast pace work environment
Bather (Former Employee) –  Hiram, GAMay 1, 2016
Fun place to work. Very fast pace envirmoment. management just needs to get things in order and it will be a great place. Every day it was something different. I loved this about the company.
Pros
friendly customers, palying with animals
Cons
management
Too much work for very little compensation and the amount of employees
Customer Engagement Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAApril 29, 2016
The overall day at PetSmart was spent running around trying to do all the work that you had on your agenda as well as the work that was on the other managers' agenda. Upper management was constantly trying to implement new processes and new product display ideas, but they were all very last minute changes. So it always felt like you had to work overtime to finish everything on time.
Pros
Friendly Environment for the most part, got to help pet parents make healthy choices for their pets
Cons
Too much work for a small amount of employees, high turnover rate of employees
n/a
Aquatics Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDApril 29, 2016
Nice place to be if you love animals or your first job. You meet great people and animal lovers as yourself its just hard to not bring your work. (meaning the love of animals)
Productive, and fun place to work
Petcare Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 29, 2016
Working with animals was really fun. I ended up learning a lot about caring for animal's and their habitats. Managers were amazing, and really understanding.
was fun at first
Unloader/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAApril 28, 2016
was hard to deal with the store manager striping your overtime hrs and spreading it over to the next pay week hardest part is when the truck isn't on time to get the product to the floor to be stocked co-workers were a team players and fun to work for.
Fast-paced with ample multitasking requirements
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 28, 2016
PetSmart serves the pet parent community with many products and services.
There are many great people who are compassionate about animals and their welfare. We work every day to help save lives with training, keep pets healthy with our products and veterinary services and groom pets to keep them looking great.
Pros
Great purpose to help pets
workday
Bather (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 28, 2016
Bathed dogs in preparation for grooming.
Brushed fur to remove dead skin, using dog brush.
Drew bath water and regulated temperature.
washed dog, using perfumed soap or shampoo and hand brush, and repeated process until dog was clean.
Clipped toenails, using scissors and clippers.
Received, opened and unpacked cartons and crates of merchandise, checking invoice against items received.
Stocked storage areas and displays with new and transferred merchandise.
fun place to work
Bather (Current Employee) –  West Covina, CAApril 27, 2016
Fun place to work. Its like one big family. I love working and being with the animals on a daily basis. Being a bather in the grooming salon is very satisfying.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
compensation and hours
Educational
Volunteering at PetSmart Cat Kennel (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 26, 2016
I didn't actually work at Pet Smart, just volunteered there. It was a good learning experience, and fun to be with the cats, but all my work was done alone, unsupervised, and away from other employees.
Pros
Got to play with cats
Cons
Got scratched by cats
There was always something going on
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 26, 2016
I enjoyed working there. I loved helping customers and seeing the dogs and other animals come in. I got to know a few customers and knew them or at least their pet names. There was always something to do to keep busy.
Pros
Employee discount on all services
Cons
Other associates not doing their job
Company is great, store management can vary
Pet Grooming Stylist (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYApril 25, 2016
I worked for PetSmart for two years. During that time I cycled through several different managers, each worse than the last.
I started as a bather in the salon and was quickly promoted to go to grooming school. The opportunity to advance to a groomer was great, but after that theres nowhere else to go unless you want to be a salon leader, which I would not recommend.
The academy grooming school is a complete waste of time. You learn nothing. You're just filled with anxiety because you have no idea what you're doing. The learning starts when you get back to your salon and you complete your 100 dogs.
The managers for the salon they hire are usually young girls, who have no idea how to manage and take part in a lot of workplace drama. All three of my salon leaders were the center of the drama and encouraged it.
They expect a lot of you. It can be extremely stressful, but also very rewarding.
The company itself has decent benefits, especially the tuition reimbursement for college students.
But the management is terrible, and ultimately I had to leave because of it.
Pros
Rewarding to groom dogs
Cons
Stressful, they expect too much of you, management is awful
Stressful enviroment but fun to work with the dogs
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 25, 2016
The management is out of control. They seem to have no idea what they are doing and it makes the job more stressful then it should be. My co-workers are awesome and fun to be around but there can be some drama. The hardest part of my job is dealing with dogs who do not cooperate or are aggressive. The best part of my job is seeing the satisfied faces of the customers when they see their pet.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
Short breaks, crazy work schedual, stressful enviroment
my fun life at work
professional bather (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 23, 2016
love the job but i have to say bathers should be pay more for what we do its hard work sometimes and most days are very stressful the co-workers and my manager are all awesome people to work with very kind and help when you really need it what keeps me going for this job is only the animals i really love animals if i had all the money in the world i would probably try to own every animals there is
Love working with people and pets
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 22, 2016
It' a good company the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers. Management team needs to have more training, however they are trying to set up more training for their management team.
Pros
The people you work with varies on a day to day basis
Cons
Due to fast paced there are few breaks
It's a job..
Cashier/Pet Hotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 20, 2016
To be honest, the workplace is alright. I loved working with the animals and it was nice to meet and greet the pet owners. The hours were not very good. They could not give you more than so many hours in a week, because they didn't want to give out benefits and so no, there were no benefits. The opportunity for advancement is almost non existent because the managers there are not going anywhere.

You would be asked to come in on days off, a lot because there were not enough employees you could depend on. A lot of students and younger employees. They were very understanding when it came to doctor's appointments and what not, and I was usually able to get those days off.

It was also very hard to get to know anyone socially there. In the time I was there, only one employee took the time to kind of befriend me.
a great company
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pelham Manor, NYApril 19, 2016
pet smart has been there for me and helped me when i needed it. they were very understanding and patient with my transformation from working in a private company to a corporation company as a groomer. i will miss working for them.
one of the best jobs i had
Bather/Brusher (Former Employee) –  Mohegan Lake, NYApril 18, 2016
i loved working at petsmart. the whole salon team was so helpful and supportive. they shared their abundance of knowledge with me and allowed me to grow as a person.
Doggie gossip
Bathing Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2016
It was a nice place to work. you get to deal with dogs all day long, but behind closed doors that's when things get less glam. You are wet majority of the day from bathing all the dogs, you have to brush teeth, clip nails, blow dry them, brush and fluff them, make them smell pretty and put a bow on the girls and bandana if its a boy. Not to bad for a days work till a dog gets so nervous they have explosive diarrhea in the kennel, or you get bit from trying to clip nails or scratched. The customer where harder to deal with than the dogs. If the dog was to aggressive you had to tell the owner they weren't allowed back. They would make a huge seen about how their dog would never make the five inch gash on my face. But if you love dogs and don't mind all aspects that come with the job its a good place to be.
Pros
Lots of puppies to love
Cons
injuries happen
Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2016
Working at PetSmart as a cashier is very enjoyable. You get to meet new people everyday as well as their animals when they come up to the registers.
Productive, Fun Work Place
Cashier/Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOApril 18, 2016
This type of job is best suited for those looking to build their resume, like High School and new graduates. I had started working there because I needed a job after just moving to Missouri and losing my seasonal job. I had gone into the job knowing I wasn't there for the long term as I was looking for something within my field. However, I really did enjoy those I was working with which made coming to work so much easier. The opportunity to move up was never presented to me, even though I possess a degree in which I would have qualified to do so. I showed the manager several times my abilities to help out where needed but was not given such opportunities. It is difficult for one to want to excel at their job if they are not only not told how well they are doing or what they can do different to improve but also if they are not presented with opportunities to grow and learn more within the company. It was more of where you are placed is where you will stay which doesn't suit well, especially if you are running short handed and if nobody else has been trained in those departments how can you expect to give accurate customer service.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Ability to move up not present