PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,546 reviews matching the search
Horrible management, no sense of teamwork
Cashier/Sales Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 29, 2017
Worked here for 3 years. The management skills are nonexistent and nobody works as a team to help one another out. Always short staffed. Favoritism is a key player in who benefits from anything from the store manager.
Pros
Flexible with hours, lots of dogs
Cons
Horrible management, lack of teamwork/organization
Very family like workspace
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEMarch 28, 2017
Excellent place to work but not a career. Great and fun co workers and managers. Very respectful and cooperative management teams. Great with balancing school, work, and personal life.
Great oppourtunity
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Rancho Santa Margarita, CAMarch 28, 2017
They require no experience and do all their training here. Everyone i worked with was really kind and truly cared for my well being. I loved working here!
Pros
Free training
Cons
Poor management
Product Potential
Customer Experience (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 28, 2017
PetSmart seems to be losing it's way since going private. I feel they've been abandoning core values that have fostered loyalty with both consumers and associates.
Overall Enjoyable
Presentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARMarch 27, 2017
Fun atmosphere and nice employees. The days go by fast and the work is overall fun and easy. I would recommend this job to someone who loves animals and enjoys working with the public.
New London CT
Petcare associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 27, 2017
The work day depends on the day.
Tasks are to be done in a certain time, Managers will time you.
I unrealistic expectations for task completion.

I learned about many animal types and how to care for them, how to manage my time and work load.

Management always changes company will move managers around. Upper management is rude self servicing dictator. Upper management talks down to you to make them feel better or threaten your job.

Cuture
Associates either are pushed out or have left since I been there The company has lost the foundation of ethics it use to follow.

Hardest aspect
Not having enough time to perform tasks and finish them.

Enjoyable aspect
I enjoyed working and caring for the animals and meeting and working new people.
Pros
Full time health Ins, Vacations
Cons
No part time health care, management
hands on work that doesn't get boring
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 27, 2017
A typical day for a salon associate consists of completing services for clients, cleaning/upkeep of the salon, reception (answering phones/making appointments). Two 15 minutes breaks that you take if necessary and not busy. Mandatory 30 minutes lunch if working over 5 hours. Learned how to work with animals safely. Learned how to groom dogs and general pet nutrition information. Salons tend to be pretty tight-knit groups. Working in the salon can be stressful so it is important to get along with co-workers and be supportive of one another. The hardest part of the job in my opinion is communicating with customers to give them the service they want while still supporting the needs of the pet. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing pets get excited because they feel clean and they know they are going home to get extra love and attention.
Pros
groomer's paycheck is commission based, opportunity to advance in management or to be trained if lacking grooming skills, great benefits for full time employees
Cons
must work weekends, can be a high stress environment during busy periods
Fun to Work
Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 27, 2017
This is a wonderful place to work if you are interested in becoming more knowledgeable about pets an how to interact correctly with animals of all varieties.
It can get hectic at some points but this a great place.
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYMarch 26, 2017
This place is fun and active. I love working at the Pets hotel. Taking care of cats and dogs is not the hars part. The hard part is seeing them go home because you end up bonding with the animals. The people that work here are so passionate for animals. The associates come back just to see which ones are there because they love them. Its a great, fun, energetic and understanding work environment.
Pros
45 minute lunch breaks
Fun place for animal lovers
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 26, 2017
It was quite literally part of my job to get on the ground and play with puppies when they came in. How can you go wrong with that? It really is a company with a great procedures in place, they take time to train you properly, and then have high expectations going forward. You've gotta love it!
Petsmart
Pet Care Lead & Bather (Grooming Salon) (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 25, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Petsmart, particularly in the Petcare department. You basically clean animal cages and assist with guests purchasing pets. Sometimes you may be asked to cashier. I've worked at two different Petsmarts and I will say that each experience was different. Management and co-worker attitudes do matter a lot with the overall happiness of the store.
A good first job.
Pet products manager (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 24, 2017
It's a good first job, particularly for people who love animals. It's one of those places that depends entirely on the blend of personalities to make or break the job. If there are intelligent, knowledgeable people in the top positions in the store it can be a great place to work. When to top spots are inadequately filled it becomes a place you dread having to face every day.
Pros
being able to interact with animals and the people who love them
Cons
Low starting pay.
Nice place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 24, 2017
It was a fun place to work, most of the management was great. Working with the animals and customers was fun. It can be stressful managing the care of the animals.
Fun Place to Work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TXMarch 24, 2017
This company has always worked with my schedule for myself and my family. They are very accomidating for kids still in school. The pay is ok for a part time job. Management is always fun and not overbearing.
Joyful and Passionate Work Environment
Pet Hotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 23, 2017
Working at PetSmart was one of the best employment experiences I have ever had. Though it was only seasonal, working with animals and looking after them was more than a way of income. It was getting to know the compassionate staff who set examples of hard work and meeting every animal's singular needs. We all had an important responsibility to look after, play with, and dedicate ourselves to the animals for their comfort and well being. Never did I wake up one morning, dreading going to work. It was in fact, quite the opposite.
Pros
Animal company, staff who always showed gratitude for one another
Cons
Fewer hours provided after some passing weeks
Fun for a time
Pet Care Lead (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89117March 23, 2017
Petsmart was a good place to work unless you were management. While I was regular associate it was enjoyable to come to work and be there helping customers and their pets. As soon as i was promoted to management however that all fell apart. They have a horrible training module for management and I had no one to help back me up when I needed it. However it is my understanding that things have changed now so I hope they do have a better training situation for manager.
Chance to meet different types of people
Sales Associate/Cashier/Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMarch 23, 2017
I enjoyed meeting the different pet parents that came in and being able to assist them in their proper selections for their pets. It was a great adventure when helping the parents with difficult needs for their pets.
It was a pleasure to help the parents train their dogs.
Very Productive company and focuses on accuracy of shipping product
Fork Lift Driver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILMarch 23, 2017
PetSmart distribution warehouse in Ottawa, IL is a well managed company that ships out more than over millions amount worth of pet products they're currently focusing on the accuracy of the products that are shipped out to the variety of stores. The management does an ok job at shifting others into the functions that is needed for the company to be successful no matter if its switching on to other equipment such as the reach truck, dock stocker, cherry picker and also the center rider [electric pallet jack]. The toughest part of being an associate at petsmart is making the rate that is required with major factors that can alter you to be successful and also the hours of the shift which is 10 hours for days a week. PetSmart holds a great culture there as always helping out others such as shelters for pets. The co-workers are great people and the understand that we need to work together in order for the company to be successful.
Pets First
Pet Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEMarch 23, 2017
The thing I really love about this company, and my store in particular, is that all the employees really care about the pets and want what is best for them.
PetSmart - it is what you make it
Bather (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNMarch 23, 2017
Management personnel didn't hesitate to jump in and do any job whenever necessary. The salon (where I worked) was very busy and weekends could be stressful for people and pets. Loud and crowded. Strong safety standards were reinforced and handling of all pets was done with care and compassion. Most people who work here don't do it for the money. Flexible schedules and a love of animals attracted a varied group who truly wanted the best for the pets.
Pros
Good people, animals!!, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Long days, weekend overload

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.