PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,043 reviews matching the search
What I have learned
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pooler, GASeptember 15, 2016
I have learned many skills on how to make people and pets happier when they leave . Communication is the biggest skill i have learned to do better because you are always talking to customers and co-workers.
Pros
co-workers, benefits
Never loved a job more
Professional Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  West Rochester Hills, MISeptember 14, 2016
I love working with animals, and this job is the perfect opportunity. Good pay, good tips, and decently great coworkers. However, when something goes wrong with one coworker, everyone tends to jump on the band wagon, which can make it hard to feel comfortable being there. But all in all, it is worth it, to see my customers smile at their newly washed and great smelling dog. It is my pride and joy to take care of their animals.
Pros
Tips, great managment
Cons
cut hours, workplace drama
Wonderful place for pet lovers
Part Time Pet Care Associate/Overnight (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 14, 2016
working at petsmart was an absolute joy! i worked there for 3 years and it was a wonderful time. getting to take care of the dogs and cats that came into bard with us was the most important job ever.
Pets
HEAD STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALSeptember 14, 2016
I loved going to work and seeing all kinds of different animals and help pet parents in finding anything from medicine to food to hair care !!!! I like it here i didn't like the management though.
Fun environment great management
Order Filler (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 13, 2016
I love my job lots of room for advancement and your treated great fast paced and always on the go choice between 12 hours or 10 hour shifts management is great and respects you
Pros
Benefits plenty paid time off
Cons
Waiting 90 days for benefits
Fun place to work
Accredited Pet Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CASeptember 12, 2016
Being a Pet Trainer is a very fun job. I get to help many people who have never had a dog before or people that haven't had a dog in a while. I teach people how to better communicate with their pets and that makes for a rewarding workplace experience. Management is always changing which is sometimes hard to keep up with.
Worthwhile Place to Work.
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 12, 2016
A typical day consisted of doing group with the day care dogs & single play times for the dogs that couldn't be in groups. My co-workers were great, but the hardest part of the job was definitely during check ins and check outs.
Great Work Environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COSeptember 11, 2016
I always looked forward to working everyday. My co-workers were awesome and the animals loving. I learned skills in animal handling and feeding as well as care that I would have never gotten unless I had worked there.
Pros
Great People, caring for animals.
Cons
Low pay
Productive job that kept you on your feet, never a dull moment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 10, 2016
Absolutely love working at PetSmart. Every day was a whole new experience and always learned something new. My store is filled with friendly staff that care about animals. The best part as a pet care specialist was interacting with animals and customers every day.
fun friendly environment involves pets
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 9, 2016
a typical work day at PetSmart is interacting with the pets of families .must be animal friendly. u and co workers provide a fun and loving environment. performing great customer service. the hardest part of the job can be some lifting of products but with two people it can be done. interacting with different pets and learning about the was the most enjoyable part
Pros
learning about differentpts and their needs
Cons
cleaning
Fun to work at if in the right store
Manager (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PA 19426September 9, 2016
I worked at many different Petsmart locations and all though all of them are nice. They are not all the same and are run very differently from an employee stand point. I was a manager with the company and even in that position you can move stores and have different ways of doing the job. Overall I loved my time with Petsmart and I would say its a good High school college job but I wouldn't make it into a manager life job.
Wonderful place to work for
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 8, 2016
I truly enjoyed my time with this company and felt at home with them. The basic day to day stayed the same with assisting customers and running the business but every day was something new. Pet Care is an ever fluid area of change and in order to excel and stay in the industry for long periods of time you had to be adaptable and always willing to learn as new innovations were presented.
Productive and non-lenient workplace with basketball court.
Order Filler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Friendly coworkers' and just a great atmosphere. Always someone around willing to help you when in need. Hardest part about the job is staying on the supervisor's and/or person over the supervisors' good side. To many screw-ups will result in termination. For example, not making rate continuously or just not getting the hang of operating your PIT (Powered Industrial Truck). Even something as minuscule as bumping into something, again not full on crash but bumping into something (an exp. guardrail which is made specifically for that, debris that has been dropped and left on the work floor or racking where you retrieve merchandise) is cause for termination.You must be extremely careful at all times, as you should. They will look at you as a ticking time bomb that hasn't detonated yet if it happens more than once. So definitely not a category you want to fall into. I learned that your at work not to make friends but to do your job at the best of your ability, without error and there are times where you may need to kiss a little tush. Management here was uptight and covered their own BEHINDS but were also willing to help you. Most enjoyable part of the job were the people I got the pleasure to know during breaks and lunch when working there. A typical day at work would be me showing up early, they like it when you do that, putting the daily rate you had to reach that corporate set to shame and going home. This is what you'd expect on a typical day working at the Pet Smart Distribution Center.
Pros
Rewards/recognition for good work, helping others and making rate/quota.
Cons
No leniency on mistakes/accidents. No room for error at all.
PetSmart, but not always People Smart...
I currently work as a Pet-care Associate (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 8, 2016
PetSmart has been a learning experience where I've expanded my knowledge on more than just different species of reptiles and other small animals. I've learned quite a bit of what to do, and what not to do as a manager from the examples here. Typically my day was pleasant, interacting with customers and co-workers. But by the end of the day often my managers would be unprepared for the end of the shift, often forcing us to stay an hour after closing. The hardest part of the day was usually closing. The most enjoyable part was typically customer relations and pet care.
Pros
Interactions with different people and species.
Cons
Minimal breaks, disorganized scheduling (often last minute), poor management
Great work experience
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 7, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of animals, not very hard, co-workers are very sweet and helpful.
Management wasn't very helpful with scheduling
Pros
Long lunches
Great place
Certified Pet Trainer (Current Employee) –  Lake City, FLSeptember 7, 2016
Great company to work for and I really enjoy my job. It's amazing to help pet parents and their pets create an amazing bond to last for a life time. Plus is getting to visit with pets on a daily basis.
great learning experience
groomer and Bather (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 6, 2016
my Time at pet smart taught me that not all management is great management, and when you do have good management you will have a happy store. unfortunately our stores management was not the best at the time, and do to that and some unfortunate personal family issues PetSmart was not a good fit for me in the end.
Pros
great co workers, lovely people, always working with animals
Cons
unprofessional atmosphere at times, poor communication with managment
Loved Petsmart
PROFESSIONAL BATHER AND GROOMER (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LASeptember 6, 2016
I had an amazing store manager and I work with an amazing group of people, many of which I still keep in contact with. I only left when I finished my Vet Tech program, and went to look for work in a practice. Great company and the store I worked for was amazing as well.
The hardest job I've ever loved.
PET STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VASeptember 6, 2016
For the of love pets this is the perfect job for me. I enjoy interactions with the pets and pet parents. See a not so groomed dog transform into a beauty is the best feeling.
Petsmart
Housekeeping associate (Current Employee) –  Charter Township of Commerce, MISeptember 6, 2016
A friendly place to work. I am so just doing custodial which consists of cleaning public restrooms, staff break room, changing trash, some customer service, sweep, mop under shelves, buff floors, and clean bottom of shelves. I learned how to organize, help customers by keep products neat, and the store clean, and how to better serve customers and their pets. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful. Hardest part of job is trying to keep everything clean especially when customer's bring in their pets and they have 'little accidents' on the floor. I enjoy the schedule and how flexible it is to come in before the store opens and I can do what I need to do. Also the quietness. Although my position is only part time I wish it was longer. I do enjoy it so far.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
not enough hours - part time only

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.