PetSmart
1,681 reviews

PetSmart Employer Reviews

Fun and Friendly
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Oswego, ILMarch 16, 2015
Most of the day is spent monitoring the dogs and cleaning up any mess that they make.
This job has taught me patience and compassion.
The staff are always really helpful and understanding.
The hardest part of the job is standing in one area for a long period of time but the most enjoyable part is getting to connect with the pet parents and their dogs.
fun & supportive workplace
Cashier/Stock clerk (Current Employee), Springfield, PAMarch 15, 2015
I really enjoy my coworkers and management is fair and supportive. It's flexible with my school schedule. I enjoy coming to work and having fun.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier and Pet Care Lead (Former Employee), Frederick, MDMarch 15, 2015
Pros: seeing new animals every day
Cons: a lot of work for little pay
Very upbeat place of work, and let's face it, not many places you cant work where you are surrounded by animals all day! Petsmart is also involved with many animal charities and pet adoption agencies.
Ok
Stocker (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VAMarch 15, 2015
Long hours and demanding work for not enough pay. Started work at 4am everyday until 12pm. Boss was not very understanding about me having a new born child.
Fun place to work
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Wilsonville, ORMarch 14, 2015
Every day began with cleaning animal habitats and providing fresh food and water. I learned different things about reptiles, fish and birds. My co-workers were fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was feeding the snakes.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Latham, NYMarch 13, 2015
Pros: animals
Cons: messy
Cashier at front of store and helped customers upon need.
Learned a lot about customer service.
Management was excellent.
Co-workers wonderful.
Decent experience.
work enviroment
Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Plainville, CTMarch 13, 2015
great place to work at once you understand all policies and procedures.
enjoyed working with co workers and managers
very high energy and fast paced
Enjoyable and fun workplace
Supervisor- Mike (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2015
Pros: seeing cute animals all day
Cons: getting bit by cute animals
If you live nearby its worth it, short 4 hr shifts made my commute pointless. No chance of advancement and no chance at full time. No benefits. Pay was alright.
Great teamwork
Grommer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: great team work
Cons: lack of hours
On typical day at Petsmart, I come in greet my staff members and check my appointment book to see how many dogs i have in a day. I start washing the dog that was checked in and work my way down the line. My co workers are a lot of fun we help each other when help is needed and we make the workplace as enjoyable as possible. Everyone get along so well. My managers are hardly around but they are pretty cool and chill. They always check in on us every blue moon to make sure, everything is ok and to make sure we have all the products we need. The hardest part about our job is when we get aggressive dogs, sometimes is a challenge to deal them with so when have to send them back home. I just enjoy working with a great team.
Good workplace with the right management
Presentation Manager (Current Employee), Somers Point, NJMarch 12, 2015
Extreme micromanagement company. Coworkers, customers, and pets make it worth it to work there. As presentation manager you're required to be extremely detail oriented and able to make plans for the day, week, and upcoming months of promotions. Rapidly changing store promotions and company initiatives.
Hard but enjoyable
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 11, 2015
Stocking products was the hardest part of the job.
Helping customers with their pets and the needs of those pets was highly satisfying.
Management could be very rude at times. Co-workers were very easy to get a long with and extremely helpful.
I learned a lot about animals and pet products.
Typical day
Pet Products Manager (Current Employee), Southlake, TXMarch 7, 2015
Pros: discount on products
Cons: lack of staffing on daily basis, hours being cut.
A typical day involves morning paperwork, checking emails, breaking down trucks. Also managing staff when store opens daily.
I learned how to use a fork lift and got certification.
Management, lack of communication poor coverage.
Co-workers lack of will to want to work.
Hardest part of job, lack of staff on a daily basis.
Most enjoyable part is discount on all products and working with pets.
Loved this place so much
Pet Care Lead / Cashier Lead (Former Employee), las vegasMarch 7, 2015
Pros: great management, raises, hours, lunches, awesome company culture
Cons: nonev
Nothing but good things to say about this company. I loved working here so so much.
If you want a good place to work at, this company is it. Nothing but good people, with an awesome job.
not a great place to work
Lead Stocker (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 6, 2015
Pros: animals everywhere all the time.
Cons: management is absolutley terrible.
If you absolutely love animals and are capable of putting up with unprofessional, rude, and generally uneducated management then this is the job for you. Not one person I was working with said they were happy with their job. One exception was of one of my managers who was able to get away with being completely lazy: texting more often than working. This may only apply to the store I was working at but the management idea applies to many others. I was "kicked out" of one store for asking for a raise (to stock associate base wage) to compensate for the fact that I was hired as a cashier and was frequently scheduled to stock, at hours outside of my posted availability. I was more than willing to help out and expressed this desire to excel, but after being lied to about base wage rates I simply felt used. This was confirmed by multiple managers and by HR, however, nothing was ever done to correct it which led to my bold action of asking for the raise. The Manager that "kicked" me out was eventually fired for various racially charged exclamations in front of a racially and ethnically diverse group of associates AND CUSTOMERS. The last straw, which added to a metaphorical bale already too heavy to carry, was hearing my manager openly brag, in front of many customers and myself, about how poorly she treated customers. She is still employed and has not been reprimanded in any way. I take pride in my work and consider my efforts and accomplishments as an extension of my person, this company turned into a poison for me. I do not wish to "bash" the company as a whole; I am not necessarily a disgruntled employee; I try to remain as objective as possible.
Note: I received 2 major recognitions as was promoted. I wished I could have stayed to help improve the condition but after a while it was just too much.
horrible
pet stylist (Former Employee), walden aveMarch 6, 2015
horrible horrible place to work. If you don't want to feel like a person and just part of the system then work here I don't really know what else to say except i will never set foot in another petsmart as long as I live
Dog Adoption Event
Volunteer Member (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 5, 2015
Pros: ppl @ petsmart were respectful.
Cons: no refreshments you had to buy your own food & drink during break.
My friend called me about a dog adoption event @ PetSmart Northwest area in Southern Nevada so I said okay. I walk the dogs feed & clean cages it was fun. @ the end I got free Disneyland pass. This was in early 2010. All in all I had a great time there no problems ppl were friendly weather nice & love dogs.
Lots of energy with a very loud store manager
Presentation Manager (Former Employee), Signal Hill and Huntington BeachMarch 5, 2015
Pros: friends and family events, saving 30% off total purchases.
Cons: no matter how well one performs, always treated like nothing is good enough. very negative culture.
Getting to meet all kinds of pets was generally the high light of my day. Cleaning up after them, not so much. Wore several hats as a manager with an ever increasing level of expectation with very little support.
Workplace
Support Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: handling pets, contests/ store engagements
Cons: under-appreciated/ high high expectations
Overall it's an exciting place to work if you have a passion for pets! Ok benefits, hands on training and competitive atmosphere. Mission statement and goals are clear if you want to move up in the company own it and lead by example.
Good place to work as an associate. Terriable place to be a manager.
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Lansing, MIMarch 4, 2015
Pros: associates are fun and caring people.
Cons: everything else
The corporate side of the company is completely disconnected from the actual in and outs at the store level. Constantly making mistakes that store management is responsible for fixing.
Every holiday we had a mini party!
PetCare Associate (Former Employee), Lawton, OKMarch 4, 2015
Pros: working with animals, the morning shift, my management
Cons: advancement opportunities
The Petcare team at Petsmart was a family to me. I dedicated my mornings to go in and help the animals, feed, bathe, provide medicine and clean all the animals before anyone else go there. I enjoyed my independence in the mornings and learning about animals in great detail.

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more

PetSmart Salaries