PetSmart Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
friendly work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mohegan Lake, NYSeptember 15, 2017
As a cashier, I most often dealt with customers and their furry friends, so the job environment was very enjoyable. The managers that I worked with were always willing to help in situations where a customer was unhappy which made my job a lot easier.
Pros
working with and around animals
Cons
hours/ changing shifts
Great place to learn basic skills
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  NCSeptember 15, 2017
There are some things I love and some things I despise about working at PetSmart.
-Great coworkers who love animals
-Learning basics about caring for and handling animals you may not have held before

But
-You are NOT valued in Pet Care
-You do NOT make close to the amount of money you are worth
-The training for the Pet Care area is horrendous and almost nonexistent

Basically, my store is an extremely busy one, and we never have enough people on the floor to get everything done as well as help customers. Management has their hands tied by corporate as to how many hours they can dish out, so basically our new staff go very undertrained and are working all alone with no idea what they are doing. This can be disastrous, as they are supposed to know how to CARE for the animals, and tell other people how to care for their animals.

In short, it comes down to complete lack of value for their employees. Pet stores get crapped on for poor animal care, but the day to day workers bust their butts to try and make sure everything is as good as it can be, for the animals' sakes. It is corporate offices who are clueless about time needed for tasking in a busy store that ruin the care the animals receive.

In a less busy store, this may not be the case, I'm not sure. I've never ever witnessed actual animal abuse that some others have described at their stores. My coworkers all care deeply for animals on an emotional level and would never perpetrate or condone such behavior. I can only hope other stores are like this.
Pros
Discount, experience, community
Cons
Low pay, Little training
My Experience
Professional Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 15, 2017
I absolutely love grooming at PetSmart, and I am grateful for the one month long training experience I was given; however, this is not the job I see myself having for the rest of my life. It is a new trade I have acquired and that I can use in the future. I am hopeful of moving up to the corporate level of PetSmart because it is an excellent company, I'm just following a different approach.
Interesting job, I learned a lot about pet products especially dog and cat food
Manager (Former Employee) –  BuckeyeSeptember 15, 2017
Interesting job, I learned a lot about pet products especially dog and cat food.I also worked with a dog and cat rescue group who brought their animals to the store. I also worked with a dog and cat rescue group who brought their animals to the store. I was also in charge of closing the registers in the evening, closing down the grooming salon and making sure that all the animals in the store were in clean cages and had food and water. I enjoyed working with the customers and working out any issues they had with the store or its employees. All in all it was a fun and challenging job and I would still be working there if I had not had to relocate!
Pros
Insurance, 401(k) and employee discount
Cons
Felt at times to be overworked and under paid
I liked working there
Cashier/sales associate/pet care specialist (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CASeptember 14, 2017
I enjoyed working at petsmart at the time but realized how much they don't seem to really care about animals like they claim to. A typical day working there consisted of taking money and making change. Taking care of the animals.
Was ok to work there just for a as needed job
Cashier/Stocker/Maintenance/Sales/ (Former Employee) –  Macon, GASeptember 14, 2017
I was left outside 6 times at least once a month by the manger they would never tell you if they were coming in later and i was supposed be there ealry like 5 to 6 am to clean and unload trucks and was left outside in cold and rain once because of lack and care of them
Pros
People were nice some
Cons
loved the animals and customers who came in
Depends
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INSeptember 14, 2017
The salon is a click and you aren't welcome unless you go over the top for them, and even then you are still not an equal. The dog bather is like the 'bus boy' to the grooming salon. You are expected to set up everything for them and even if you help them when they are backed up they'll get on your case for something else. It's also corporate run so when you answer the phone the district manager will pretend to be a customer so they can get you in trouble for whatever you forgot to mention.
Pros
Work with animals
Cons
Corporate is always watching
Great place to get your foot in the door.
Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 14, 2017
Relaxed environment. Great place to start and move up. Hours are flexible and they will work around school schedule or additional jobs. Training is fast and easy.
Great place yet run horribly.
Pet Specialist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delran, NJSeptember 13, 2017
the location I worked at started out great but took a turn when the GM quit and left us hanging. it was a hard situation to overcome, and in my opinion they could not overcome it. the new stand in GM was horrible and started scheduling me without consulting my availability. multiple people quit and I only had one day during the week that I couldn't work and was continuously scheduled. I finally quit because my stress levels were through the roof from working close to 40 hours a week and not getting the recognized or offered a true full time position. so no benefits.
Hickory NC petsmart
Professional Pet Bather / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 13, 2017
Hickory NC petsmart was a great job. Interact with pet clients, dogs, cats, and outgoing staff. I am an inwardly religious person but it shows in how I dress and there was no room for that in the grooming salon. I was continuously subject to improper language, behavior, and insults. Manager was great but didn't take much action to correct any of those issues. Overall a good and fun job but super hectic, busy, stressful... All of the walk in nail trims were given to the inexperienced/new bathers which made the workload worse.
Pros
Benefits for full time only, reward system, opportunity to get training and move up
Cons
Bad language and insults in grooming salon
Fun place to work
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 13, 2017
Fun and challenging job as a dog groomer. Long shifts but decent pay. Pretty well managed. Room for advancement. High stress and not the job for you if you don't like to get dirty.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
This job is wonderful if you adore animals.
Sign Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 13, 2017
Typical day of work started at four in the morning. I would do price changes if need be or stocking also. I learned so much more about taking care of different types of animals. Reptiles and aquatics. My management was really wonderful. Workplace culture was really nice. We had an almost family type vibe about it. The hardest part of the job was making the judgement about the next step to do with customers and their returns without a receipt. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customers happy and then visiting with all the animals.
Pros
The pay, the staff, this company was really one of my favorite jobs.
Associate
Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILSeptember 13, 2017
PetSmart is a great place to work and they have a great culture. The culture is very in favor of the hourly associates and they take very good care of them.
Ridiculous Hiring Process
DC warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXSeptember 12, 2017
Very low pay and low raises. The Petsmart Distribution Ennis Texas location does not care about its employees or its new hires. They require physical tests to be passed for employment that the management themselves are clearly too fat to ever pass. They will waste your time and not care one bit. Starts out at 12 per hour and with in a year you can only make 12.50 per hour...
Pros
location
Cons
25 cent raise after one year
Productivity
Part-Time Retail Customer Service Positions (Former Employee) –  Port Chester, NYSeptember 12, 2017
I am a cashier at Pet-Smart. I come in contact with all the customers at the store. Try to help answer any questions they may have regarding cat and dog food, the Pet Hotel, Grooming Salon, Banfield Hospital etc.
Pros
People
Cons
Short Breaks
upc specialist
Upc Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 12, 2017
Had fun working in petsmart, relaxed environment, got promoted fairly fast. Management was very nice, I loved working with the animals. stocking freight .
Pros
Great staffing
Cons
lunch time
Nice
Professional Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, MOSeptember 12, 2017
It is a very competitive and nice place to work. I recommened this for anyone looking to get a skill that they can take with them the rest of their life.
What a nice place
United States - Pet Care / Stocker (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXSeptember 12, 2017
I Highly recommend you shoot for a job at petsmart. Fun people, fun job. Its never a boring day playing with dogs. The managers where I worked were very cool and fair people.
Pros
Fun atmosphere. Work with animals.
Cons
not much to say
Its great if you work with the right people , but the managers tell you broken promises
Bather/Brusher (Current Employee) –  Pooler, GASeptember 11, 2017
I love the girls I work with. I love what I do that's why I haven't quit in 2 years, but I have been promised for a yr an half to go to grooming school ,but won't give me a good reason not to
Pros
15% discount
Cons
No hoilday pay
Overall a good company
Merchandising and Inventory Leader (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCSeptember 11, 2017
Work experience will vary depending on which store you work at. Hires mostly part-time positions working 20-25 hours a week, 4-6 hours a day. Great for animal lovers.
Pros
Learn a lot about all pets
Cons
Poor job advancement due to few full time postions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval