PetSmart
1,444 reviews

PetSmart Employer Reviews

Great place to start
Salon Manager (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INOctober 24, 2014
Great place to start as a bather and work your way up the ladder.
Cute and many fun Animals
Early morning stocker/cashier - Customer Service (Former Employee), Plainville, CTOctober 24, 2014
Pros: animals - work with some good people
Cons: low pay- no advancement
I worked almost every posistion ther was
Stocker
Cashier
Price Changer
bather
Customer service

no room for advancement
low pay
often dirty
injured on job and not given medical care- (my write were in cast for 1 full year) instead my hours were cut from full time to 6 a week- A year ago I hear they let the manager that was doing that go- but I havn't – more... been back since – less
Fun work place
Cashier/Grooming receptionist (Former Employee), Durham, NCOctober 22, 2014
fun workplace but no room to grow. learned a lot of new things.
great people and enviroment
animal care and cashier (Former Employee), Lansing, ILOctober 21, 2014
Pros: variety of selections
Cons: crazy people
Large selections to choose and shop within. Pets always welcome and always have new stuff every week.
Think twice before commiting
associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ILOctober 21, 2014
Pros: there is nothing good, but a quick paycheck, only reason people like the d/c is because of other associates
Cons: everything
The company overall is on a steady decline laying off 200+ people throughout the network in the last couple of months with more to come . a 20% share holder stock from another company is trying to get out of PetSmart because of the decline in sales.

management hides in the office all day, yet preaches they are there to support you when you never see – more... them .

only people to rely on are co workers

The door is a revolving door worse then any company I have ever seen on a average they let go 5-20 associates a week only to hire new associates which will ultimately be let go.

Management likes to trick the staff with lies, if there is a ultimate snow day they might give everyone off with pay, but its a guarantee they will make you work overtime on regular pay to recoop that free day they gave you .

the benefits just suck, you can get better benefits working at a gas station.

Mice and roach infestations everywhere including safety issues throughout the building . – less
Productive good work.
Stocker and cashier (Former Employee), Bellingham, MAOctober 19, 2014
Great work done here. Fun place to work. Nice managers very helpful people. great environment.
Good workplace, but requires a lot of work.
Petcare Associate (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXOctober 18, 2014
The overall job as petcare associate is great but be prepared to clean a lot and you maybe asked to show up very early or stay late.
Full of learning experiences
Pet Hotel Associate (Current Employee), Chelmsford, MAOctober 18, 2014
Every day you would learn something new about some type of animal.
Review Cascade Mechanical
Fixed Assets Staff Accountant II (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2014
I learned a lot while working at Cascade Mechanical, they are a small business that kept me moving. I learned about union due and how to deal with the unions.
Nice place to work but lack of hours.
Hotel Associate (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 16, 2014
Pros: playing with the dogs and cats
Cons: not enough hours and too many people
It was a nice place to work and had friendly staff. However, management only scheduled 4 hour days once or twice a week and continued to hire more people than were needed. People could not afford the gas to get there on their pay.

Caring for the pets was enjoyable but it was difficult to care for aggressive dogs. I learned to stock supplies and manage – more... my time better. – less
Excellent place to work and I hated to leave!
Executive Assistant / Meeting Planner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 16, 2014
Pros: you can bring your pet to work everyday, a dog park outside the offices.
Cons: none.
One of the best jobs I've ever had. It was hard work but fun at the same time from top management on down. The culture is easy going but don't let that fool you - alot goes on and everyone is looking for the best and brightest to work in their groups. They are always looking for the next big thing.

Working with the PetSmart management team, vendor – more... CEO's and their executives was exciting and fun to get to know everyone. – less
Great Place for Those New to Retail or Animal Lovers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Tucker, GAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: great coworkers and customers (for the most part), the adorable animals that come in, everyone works as a team
Cons: 30 minute lunch breaks barely give you enough time to devour your food, corporate and dm (district manager) are uncaring and unrealistic about everything- yes, everything, last but certainly not least, the pay is terrible, and upward mobility is equivalent to winning the lottery, especially if you lack male reproductive parts., this is evident in the lack of gender diversity in upper level management.
Working at Petsmart is a great way to gain retail experience for those fresh out of high school or working while in college. I've gained a new family over the years there. My coworkers are amazing and store management is fair. Customers are passionate about their animals and are incredibly sweet if you have the right attitude.

You must have compassion – more... to work here! – less
Wonderful life experience
Pet Trainer/ Per Care Associate (Former Employee), Morganton, NCOctober 14, 2014
The Marine Corps was the best decision i have ever made. The benefits of being in the Marine Corps has given me the chance to advance myself in the work field.
Fun and Friendly Place To Work With Puppy Kisses
Cashier/Pet Care Associate (Current Employee), Wichita, KSOctober 14, 2014
Pros: employee stock purchase plan, 401k plan, friendly atmosphere
Cons: no health insurance (part timers), schedule variance
A typical day at work for me includes connecting with Pet Parents and their animals and providing a warm and exciting experience where customers feel as though they are at a mini-amusement park. Yes I am mainly a cashier and pet care associate but I am also co-ring leader of a positive circus that requires me to make sure I go above and beyond the typical – more... duties of a traditional retail associate. Not only is customer satisfaction important, but more specifically the health and welfare of the animals is priority number one. Whether it is treating sick critters in the isolation room, or just educating customers on how to take care of the pets they have or are intending to have is key. I enjoy my job so much and love all my coworkers and we are truly like a family, however, recently hours have been slashed and therefore I am indeed looking for a career that both I am qualified for but that provides a decent amount of hours and compensation. Looking for ideally at minimum 30 hours a week with no max. Other than the lack of hours available, the only other hard part of the job is I am not the strongest suggestive seller but I believe I make up for it with the other skills I have. The most enjoyable part of the job is hands down interacting with the puppies and pet parents that come in. Even if one is having a bad day, nothing like petting a dog to make yourself feel better. – less
Customers were wonderful, products sold excellent
Opperations Manager (Former Employee), Gilroy, CAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: discounts on merchandise
Cons: no upper management support
A typical day would start at 6:00 AM opening the store. Check company e mails (addressing anything immediate), get cash boxes ready and to registers, walk the store to check all animals first, list inventory holes and other issues involving merchandise. Depending on the day, often there would be a delivery in the warehouse that needed to be received – more... and put out in stock.
Assure that cashiers and warehouse employees understood the days schedule and expected duties. Meet with all associates before opening the store in order to explain the goals for the day. Supervise and take care of any customer concerns or those of employees or "Specialty Managers".
I learned I really didn't like being part of a giant chain of stores. The upper management in this district was mostly non existent.
Co-workers were good and most tried very hard to grow in their position.
Hardest part of the job was having no support from the district manager when I was left in charge of the store for months without a manager.
Most enjoyable part of this job was dealing with customers when I could get away from all the corporate paper work.

I have worked for other large stores which had a superior, rewarding, and team oriented work environment. – less
Good people friendly environment
Pet Care Lead in Charge (Current Employee), manalapn, njOctober 13, 2014
Great place to work as a college graduate or as a secondary job. You get what you put in. If you want more you can advance up the corporate latter. Everyone who works there loves pets so there is always a common ground.
working experience
Sales associate, stocker, and cashier (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 13, 2014
Everyday was wonderful seeing the beautiful animals in and out of the store. Greeting each customer in and out of the store. The employees there were very generous and kind, enjoyed working with them. There really was not a hard part about my job I enjoyed everyday working there.
Alright job depending on the store
PET CARE SPECIALIST PETSMART (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKOctober 13, 2014
Pros: discount for associates, you get to work with animals
Cons: bad management, rude customers
I came from an amazing store in AK and then transferred to one in TX the store manager could not care less about his employees and that in turn makes his employees not care about the store at all. It looks very unorganized, employees walk around with their phones out, eat food while helping customers, don't ask customers for help unless they come and – more... ask for it first. All this would not have happened at my first store. The experience really varies by store. – less
Productive and fun workplace with very laid back employees
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCOctober 12, 2014
Pros: 15% employee discount, laid back atmosphere, friendly people.
Cons: wage, workload.
Working at Petsmart is a very enjoyable experience. Its extremely rewarding to create customer-employee relationships on a daily basis, along with their pets. Management is also pretty laid-back, making it easier to focus on what needs to be done rather than constantly getting yelled at. Co-workers are friendly and outgoing people, always willing to – more... help you if needed. The hardest part of working at Petsmart I would have to say is the wage, and work load. There is typically not much to do once morning fish chores have been done, and wage is very minimal for someone trying to afford bills and daily necessities. Work load is extremely minimal, which isnt rally my cup of tea. Ive always preferred to be busy all day. Aside from that, the most enjoyable part of my job would be working around the animals, Watching them in the grooming salon, and seeing how happy customers are to bring in their pets is a great feeling. On top of that, the adoption days bring a light to the store thats hard to find anywhere else. Working with animals is truly rewarding in its own way. – less
productive and fun place to work
Bather (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNOctober 12, 2014
fun and educational the co-workers was all ways willing to help you when they had a chance.
hardest part was a lot of heavy lifting

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more