PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,300 reviews matching the search
non stop moving
Order Filler (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2017
you are given tasks and a certain amount of time to complete them. must have complete awareness of your surrounding and the product being picked. everyone has to develop a plan of attack that fits their abilities because you can fall behind.
Dog bather (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAAugust 13, 2017
I enjoyed the staff that I worked with. But I started working there at a really bad time in my life, where I couldn't focus on work. So my time there was very brief and I did not give my best. The company is great to work for and I wish they would rehire me.
Good mixed with bad
Early Morning Stocker (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 13, 2017
Each manager will tell you how to do you job their way. They expect a lot for a little pay. Don't work morning if you cant do well with lifting heavy things in the mornings. The good things are some bosses will give you free lunches/donuts. Get to see dogs every day. But that's about it. The staff is friendly but the company wants way too much done in way too short of time.
Pros
Dogs/Lunches and coffee
Cons
Bad pay, hours, etc.
Bad managers, do not follow policy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 12, 2017
A lot of the managers disregarded policy rules, whether it be about cleaning/stocking or pet care. Also a lot of workplace drama and gossip among managers and associates.Not enough hours either.
Good for a Paycheck
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  MissouriAugust 12, 2017
PetSmart is a good place to work for a paycheck. The business is very fast paced and can be very stressful. Since the company was sold it has become about the money rather than the pets. For employees, it went from our safety to how quickly we can do our job. As a groomer we are pushed to fit more dogs into a day, if we can handle it or not. My current manager makes the employees feel as if we are just numbers rather than people.
Pros
Discounts on services and goods, for sure paycheck
Cons
All about the money, employees are just numbers to management
Fast paced but hard working environment.
Cashier/Customer Service/truck receiver (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 11, 2017
Working here I ensured that customers had everything they could need for any problem or situation they were in related to their animals. From the foods and what went in them to the care, love, and help of their furry friends... I did it all. I worked as a cashier leading customers to products as well as a stock crew lead to ensure goods were present for customers if and when they needed them. By working in all aspects of the store I was able to see to it running like a well oiled machine as well as realize the potential of many positions and skills throughout my experience. Working with customers allowed me to develop personal skills and a more empathetic approach to dealing with sticky situations. I also learned how to receive a truck, work an electric pallet jack, worked hand in hand with managers to close and open all aspects of the store.I worked many different shift lengths and experienced a work environment with peoples of a variety of backgrounds and ages. One of my most demanding challenges I experienced was the physical labor involved in working many pallet trucks with a small crews help. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see new pet adoptions and animals of all sorts and shapes.
Pros
Discount, Making funny furry friends
Cons
Sometimes hear sad stories of animal accidents
very good oppertunity
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHAugust 11, 2017
I had a great experience working at Petsmart. I loved the atmosphere and how the customers got to know you. It was my first job and I would recommend working there to anyone.
bather
Bather (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHAugust 11, 2017
love the job and the work
love the animals that come through
good people to work with
good benefits
good bosses that know their stuff and are easy to work with
You'll never advance
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CaliforniaAugust 11, 2017
Getting full time is impossible. There are very few opportunities to advance yourself and even though you'll only be part-time they manage to take 6 days out of your week for work. Some managers are great and others are terrible, they aren't grateful for their employees and treat you like you're expendable.
Pros
Yearly chances for raises
Cons
no advancement, when minimum wages go up you're given the next minimum wage your raises earned done stack onto that
Animals are number one
Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 10, 2017
If you love animals this is the place to work, you get training for all the animals, you get the knowledge of brands of food for the animals. They also have rescues in all store very rewarding.
Pros
you get to be with animals
Cons
snakes
No orginazation hire too many people and gave 16hrs a piece
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Poland, OHAugust 10, 2017
No communication between the 6 managers and they all has there own ideas of right and wrong so you always got yelled at for something. And there was so much drama I. Felt I was in highschool
Pros
Get to see dogs
Cons
Bad managers unrealistic quotas
good job if you love animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 10, 2017
I loved my job and being able to see and meet different animals and different types of family pets. The hardest part of my job was when I became pregnant and couldn't perform all of my previous duties. a typical workday for me was checking customers out, helping customers find certain items, giving customers advice and answering questions by the customers.
Amazing place to work...if you have the time for it
Bather (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 10, 2017
Not a great job for students! You have to stick with the availability you signed on with or else they'll give you the boot. While they accommodated to my class schedules... literally told me I had to quit my extracurricular activities although I could still work 30 hours a week (???).
But if you are looking for a well-paying career, want to work with animals, and are NOT a student this is the place!
Pros
Room for career growth, amazing management, crazy benefits ( especially for full time salon groomers), lots of communication with corporate
Cons
Not a flexible schedule
Fun place to meet new people.
Bather (Former Employee) –  Millcreek, UTAugust 10, 2017
I washed dogs. I answered phones. Checked in and out dogs. Light clean up. I had allot of fun and met some of my best friends there! I also learned to work customer service at the register sometimes.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Short breaks. Had to stand alot
Fun work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 10, 2017
It's fun to see all the animals and their people. Pay was fair, and I was always happy to help the customers. Other coworkers were pretty happy as well and management was pretty good overall.
Needs work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Yukon, OKAugust 10, 2017
Feel sorry for the owner of this company! Management have customers free store items all the time that would have normally costed over $100.
Poorly managed!
Pros
No pros!
Cons
No hours!
Fun workplace with great co-workers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, MA 02019August 10, 2017
I have had the pleasure of working here for nearly five years, the staff and management have been nothing short of great to work with. Throughout my time here as a pet care associate, I have not only learned how to interact with customers, but also learned how to work with a team that shares the same passion, and interests as I do. In my department, we are responsible for caring for the small animals, reptiles, and fish, as well as preparing and educating pet parents on the needs of their new pets. I love it because we continue to learn something new every day, from each other, as well as pet parents. I enjoy working with the animals every day, although sometimes it can be tough to send them to their new homes once you create a connection with them!
Pros
Great workplace culture
Cons
Low pay
Not exactly my cup of tea
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTAugust 10, 2017
I started working for Petsmart when they first opened their store locally about 16 years ago. It was fun and exciting to work there. Met lots of people and pets. Hours were good at first but as the years went by and the company was bought out it was not as fun to work there. I quit a year ago because the management expected a lot of extra things done but no extra compensation. Benefits are very poor with no insurance because they only hire part time except for management. I rarely got a break when working a four hour shift. Scheduling was poor. I never knew from one week to the next how many hours I would be getting, what days I would be working, and it made it difficult to schedule anything else in my life. It is a good job if you are not looking to make a lot of money and are very flexible with scheduling. Really wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
Social with people and pets, discount on pet food
Cons
Seldom breaks, poor benefits and pay, scheduling, and upper management
Fun and Fulfilling place to work
Cashier to Manager (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SC & Charlotte, NCAugust 10, 2017
Great mission and goals.
Great animal care standards.
Great training for new associates.
Ability to move up in company easily/quickly.
Ability to gain certifications (forklift, grooming).

Working for PetSmart was a great first step into the pet care world!
Cons
short breaks, low full-time hiring rate
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLAugust 9, 2017
Staff was easy to get along with. Management was great, very open for communication and easy to talk to regarding concerns. The training was slightly laxed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.