PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,047 reviews matching the search
Great interaction with customers and passionate employees around care and well being of pets.
District leader (Former Employee) –  Tri state areaJuly 7, 2016
The Petsmart model at its core is a very positive and fun environment at Store level. The interaction with leaders and associates is the high point of the job. Great passionate team to better connect and drive customer experience. Teams are passionate about pets and is a fantastic pet lovers environment.
Challenges with direction as many, many new leaders in home office and in field create inconsistant goals and expectations.
This is not the same company from a year ago. Private equity firm has changed not just the culture but the approach to the business and customer.
Pros
Relations between customers and employees, providing a meaningful products and solutions to pet owners, community involvment.
Cons
Becoming private changed the culture dramatically, systemic directional challenges
WAS my fav job. More cons then pro
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 25, 2016
I got hired on as a dog bather at the south store in Rochester. To begin with this was my favorite job I've ever had. It can be hard but fun work if you get along with your Co workers. The Co wokers there were the groomers, they have been there for many years. I kept to myself a lot because the only fun part was working with the dogs. My Co workers talked behind my back I don't know what was said but they must have said something mean enough to have the Manager of the store want to move me. I know I did nothing wrong. I complained many times about the drama and the girls just being plain mean to me. They didn't do anything about it. I quit when I found out they didn't want me in the salon anymore. So I feel the managers took there words over mine. I looked at my store leader and said I did nothing wrong and your making me quit pretty much. It's favoritism to the max. I loved that job but just couldn't handle it anymore. I was only there for about 6 months.
Pros
Play with animals
Cons
Co workers and managememnt.
Great Place
Early Morning Stocker (Former Employee) –  Union, NJAugust 22, 2015
Loved working at PetSmart and would advise more people starting out to work there as well. Met a lot of great people there and the hours worked well with my schedule outside work. Managers were very understanding if something came up whether it is an emergency or sickness. Associates worked together and had fun working while getting the job done. Plus you get to see dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles, etc... Great place if you are a lover of animals, reptiles, and fish. Pay is low, but it is a retail job. Don't expect a high salary. More than minimum wage.
Pros
Management, Schedule, Co-workers
Cons
Sometimes gets slow with hours.
good work place
chashier (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJune 15, 2016
typical day at work:
arrive and you clock in then you go to the register if its in the morning and there are no costumers you help stock and organize the store until business picked up. when you close you are expected to put away sell-able returns back on the shelves and the non-sell-able products in the back, you have to clean all oops stations, sometimes remove tags, and return all shopping carts inside. you then clock out. you get 10 min breaks and 30 min lunches depending on how long your shift is.

what i learned:
i learned how to effectively deal with mad customers
how to FACE (organize the store)
and how to effectively work in different stressful situations.

management:
they were amazing they listened to you and help you as much as possible.

co-workers:
they were nice and helpful

hardest part:
angry customers

most enjoyable part:
being able to work with animals and people
A fun work environment
Petcare Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAJune 15, 2016
This was a great place to work with ample opportunity and encouragement for advancement. I learned the COACHing method of leading the team, Connect Outline Agree, Commit, Help. I was trained on proper care of every kind of animal and this is knowledge I apply still. I am still in contact with all my associates they were like family. The hardest part of the job was telling customers they couldn't have certain fish due to inadequate habitats The most enjoyable part of my job was playing with all the puppies that came into the store.
Pros
good bennefits, if you are management you get free vet care for your pet
Cons
some positions held in the store feel like they dont have to help with the whole of the store upkeep
great place to work
Pet Groomer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 3, 2016
Fast paced but well managed. Great job and learning experience. Your receptionist resume should include your experience using phone systems, copiers and printers. Word processing skills are a must, while familiarity with Excel, desktop publishing or industry-specific software can give you an edge. Be sure to play up these assets.
6. Interpersonal skills

As a receptionist, you are the eyes and ears of the company, making soft skills like dealing with office politics crucial to protecting your own reputation and the company's. Note your ability to maintain good relationships with employees at all levels of the company, including executives.
7. Initiative and problem-solving abilities

In a recent OfficeTeam survey, administrative professionals noted how they are taking on a multitude of tasks beyond their conventional role, including event planning and controlling costs. In th
Fun place to work with great benefits
Stocker/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 23, 2016
a typical day at work was very fast paced, could be stressful but days would always go by quickly.

I learned to groom dogs

Management could have been better

Co workers were great

Hardest part of job was frequent policy changes and poor upper management

Most enjoyable part was working with animals.

I left this job because of the changes that took place when petsmart sold the company. I did not like that the Care aspect of petsmart disappeared and that it was no longer about the pets and pet parents but strictly about money.
Pros
fun place
Cons
poor upper management
Outgoing place with wonderful people and pets
Cashier/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Lauderhill, FLNovember 29, 2015
A typical day at work was calm always to me never to extreme, I was pretty familiar with cashier system and stocking wasn't so different from what I learned previously so it wasn't a hard day at work.
Pros
Great benefits for your personal pet
Cons
Poor working hours
fighting against a negative workplace
Receptionist/Professional Bather/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 18, 2016
A mixture of cleaning the entire store and bathing pets all in a days work.
I learned how to Bathe dogs and name each breed, how to handle a problem dog or a concerned Customer.
Manager did not show leadership, spoke negatively of staff when encouragement shouldve been the replacement.
very few coworkers were very helpful, worked as a Team, others shared same traits as manager.
Hardest part is not getting bit or attacked by dogs, or keeping them away from other dogs to prevent dog fights.
Most enjoyable part was bathing the dogs.
promised to be moved up in position, did not happen.
Pros
Bathing dogs
Cons
no advancements, lack of management
Productive learning environment for a first job!
Head Cashier/Pet Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2016
It was a great learning environment for a first job. I learned to deal with problem solving situations, deal with animals, and lastly to deal with customers. I learned that it was a productive and fun workplace since I had to learn how to deal with various animals. The management were always willing to work with you just in case some family emergency came up or school related activities I had to attend while I was in college. Overall my experience there helped me become more responsible, time oriented, work with people,and it also helped me realize my flaws.
Pros
Got to learn some management skills and responsibilities
Cons
Not enough hours given
Great Co-Workers, Poor Management
Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 30, 2015
It is difficult for employees to get raises and grow. Some get management positions even though not as qualified as someone else. Its politics based. They have discriminated against my disabilities, since my disabilities are not necessarily physical. Am tasked to do more physical work because others either complain or claim to not be able to physically do it. Others are given breaks but I always have to ask for mine since I'm forgotten about.
Pros
Great Co-Worker environment, Friendly
Cons
Bad management, Short breaks
if you really want to be a groomer
Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 8, 2016
As a bather you're expected to either quit or become a groomer, but to become a groomer you have to go to academy and sign a contract and purchase your own supplies. If you do not go to academy you will continue to be low man on the totem pole with look outlook for advancement. You will get bit and scratched and work your butt off for a high schoolers wage and no prospects of commission. There are so many managers that no one knows who's job is what so nothing actually gets done. But at least you get to see puppies all day.
Pros
get to see pups, move up to grooming pretty easily
Cons
pay, management, strain of bad dogs
It's a job
Groomer's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 21, 2015
I work part time, with odd, shifting hours. I enjoyed it at first, but I no longer do. I enjoy working with animals, but I am ready for a change.
Pros
15% employee discount
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Customer service with animals.
Cashier, Pet Care Associate, Stocker (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 8, 2016
I typically cashiered every day and I absolutely loved it. I love working hands on with customers and talking to pet parents. I quickly learned the ins and outs of pricing and stocking and I absolutely loved doing that as well. I asked to be trained to learn how to handle the fish and small animals we sold at Petsmart and that was one of the most rewarding things I've ever learned. Working with animals in some way is a huge passion of mine.

My managers and coworkers were extremely supportive of every decision made and were very reasonable with days off and emergencies. I always felt safe and open to talk about any issues I had, which made for a positive work environment.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with confused customers that misread the signs. Aside from that, the job was easy and enjoyable. As stated before, customer service is one of my biggest passions.
Pros
understanding of personal issues
Cons
short to no breaks
Love Working with the animals...
Pet Trainer, Pet Care Associate, Morning Stocker (Current Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 3, 2016
Since being sold, the company has definitely become more about the quantity and not the quality of service. Store policy seems to want to focus on micromanaging, which we all know doesn't do ANYBODY any good, and deny its transferred employees the minimum funds to even get to work. Unfortunately, in the two years I've worked for them, the company seems to continually sink further and further down the drain. It really is saddening.
Pros
Learning new things everyday
Cons
customer is ALWAYS right, micromanaging, underhanded management
Fun place to work with great benefits
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 22, 2016

I learned to groom dogs

Management could have been better

Co workers were great

Hardest part of job was frequent policy changes and poor upper management

Most enjoyable part was working with animals.

Pros
working with animals
Cons
poor upper management
Grooming department
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 17, 2016
My work environment is very enjoyable. I interact with customers daily checking in pets and checking out pets. I started as a bather and now am a groomer for 3 years. My salon manager is awesome she worked with my school schedule also if I have any questions with grooming I can ask and she will help. Salon manager has 20 plus years grooming. Managers in general at petsmart I don't think they handle the workers that are in subordinate properly. I love what I do and where I work the hardest or challenging thing for me would be speaking to a Spanish speaking customer. I am not fluent in Spanish but it has gotten better.
Pros
comission
Cons
no weekends off, co-workers
Receptionist are needed desperately! Poor management!
Pets Stylist (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLAugust 29, 2016
When I worked here I became easily frustrated, and exhausted due to pain in back, and long hours due to having to work on multiple dogs(varies sizes/weight) in a very limited time. Mentioning there were/are a major shortage of employee's at both salon's I worked for making it very difficult to focus on my dog's and pet parent's. I consistently had to put down my dog's to answer phones and book appointments. This made it impossible to stay on a safe,an successful track!
Pros
money
Cons
short breaks, poor management, no receptionist, short staff
Fun work place but flawed
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  smyrnaJuly 30, 2015
I love the tasks that my job entails: working with the pet parents, providing the best information and product reviews to assist parents on their journey to happy healthy pets, and taking care of the selection of pets we do provide. However the culture of the workplace is off, there is no sense of real teamwork, there was no real training and no consideration of the skills that I have and how to use those skills to make the environment a happier place, Management takes no responsibility for the lack of training and mistakes made but instead blame the new people for mistakes made in the work place. there are benefits but they are only provided for those who work full time and the ones for part time workers do no apply to me( I know I sounds biased). When I first started my co workers were not helpful in assisting my learning the new rules of the workplace, when I asked questions I was bounced from employee to employee and in the end had to help the customer off of the limited knowledge of pet specialty items that I already possessed.
Pros
great job
Cons
management, co workers
Productive workplaces that teaches work ethis and time management
Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 6, 2015
Working in the salon was a very hands on, on your toes type of job. You had to manage multiple appointments from check-in to check-out, learn how to properly handle pets of all sizes and stress levels, learn how to efficiently complete services, and how to manage digital and online appointments.
With all those chaotic and demanding things being said, I did get a chance to create some memorable meaningful relationships with pets and their parents; ensuring the pet's health and both their happiness. Animal care is a passion of mine and I feel I got to perform and spread that at this position.
Pros
Mandatory lunch breaks, paid weekly
Cons
Not enough compensation for all the work performed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.