PetSmart

2.3K reviews

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 2,183 reviews matching the search
Loved working with the animals
Bather (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 7, 2016
Petsmart was a good place to work. I felt as though I was undermined, like I was not capable of doing some of the task they gave me. I did enjoy and loved being a bather though.
pet smart its a fun place to work at.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  CAJanuary 5, 2016
the fun part about working at pet smart is the managers. they are always willing to work with you and i'm really grateful for that because if it wasn't for them i would have quite school long time ago.

working with pets is so fun. i get to see puppy's and kitties all the time and i get to hold them all the time.

i get to help customers find what they need for there pets.
or inform them about allergies the pets may have.

the hardest thing will be to quite pet smart. i have to much fun there.
Pros
coworkers, pets, customers
Cons
its only part time
No Full Time or Room for Growth
Stocker (Current Employee) –  San Clemente CaJanuary 5, 2016
Won't allow associates to get full time. Abusing hard workers while the lazy workers can do what they want. Management has no care for anyone and just sits in office majority of time on their phones. The pay is not worth the job. Fun working with animals and meeting new people.
Pros
Meeting animals/customers
Cons
Poor pay, overworking hard workers.
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 4, 2016
I worked with PetSmart for 2 years. I loved it there. I learned to communicate better with the general public. Great management, and employees. Seeing and meeting all the pets and animals was my favorite part of the job.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
sceduling
Dog Grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJanuary 3, 2016
Shaving and general maintenance of dogs

Making appointments as well as answering phone calls

REALLY STRESSFUL ENVIRONMENT

Stressful management

Co-workers were amazing

No room for any social life

Pay is not worth all the tasks that were demanded upon us
horrible managemant
Cashier/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAJanuary 2, 2016
Management was lazy, never backed up employees for enforcing company policy, medical insurance was expensive and went up in price every year as benefits got smaller-like not offering dental anymore.
Great Learning Enviroment
Pets Hotel Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 1, 2016
Fun, fast paced, energetic working enviroment! I would recommend for anyone that loves pets, small animals or just helping others to work here
Great manager, great job
Customer service associate (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILDecember 28, 2015
I loved working there. I had to quit because I was falling behind in school. I loved when customers bring their pets. Co-workers were ok. Some were lazy and some worked.
Pros
Meeting pets
Productive busy work environment
Bather (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, TXDecember 28, 2015
I learned how to bathe dogs. Management was good and i didnt really communicate with my coworkers, The hardest part was lifting big dogs and bathing them fast paced.
Pros
breaks, long lunch
Cons
heavy dogs
Store Manager is an absolute troll.
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 28, 2015
The salon Manager at Petsmart was great. Very concerned about groomer's well-being. Original Store Manager was great.
In comes the new store manager,who initially was very nice. He turned out to be a snake in the grass.
Pros
Nice salon employees.
Cons
Backstabbing, lying store Manager.

Want to know more about PetSmart?

Ask a question
Fun place to work
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WADecember 26, 2015
I really enjoyed my experience at Petsmart overall. Wish they could keep managers for longer periods of time (when switching from Manager to Manager all the time, it can make the rules and regulations and how everyone does things complicated or varied. So then when someone who HAS been working there a long time has a manager tell them something completely different than what you were taught.. can make life irritating.)
Communication is definitely key. If everyone could be on the same page it would be 10X's better. The environment was always nice and it was hardly ever boring. I miss it everyday since I had to leave. Best place I've worked at so far. Felt like family.
Pros
cute puppies, 15% off your purchases if you work there
Cons
healthcare is a bit expensive every week, wish groomers got Commission raises (makes more sense then hourly)
n/a
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 25, 2015
The Associates are very friendly and helpful! There Are a few managers who are fun to work with. The store enviroment is very clean and kept up by the team.
good productivity and etc
shipping (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 24, 2015
Good working environment with good safety training and enforcement. Good communications, teamwork, flexible schedule, equal opportunity for all employees in various departments.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches
Cons
15minutes break and healthcare benefits
my job
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 22, 2015
well I came in clocked in set up for all petpernts to come in and check my dogs in and get started on grooming my dog,s as well helping the bathers if needed nail trims short cut with a nail trim helping on the flower with customers
Pros
more help if you need it
It's a job
Groomer's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 21, 2015
I work part time, with odd, shifting hours. I enjoyed it at first, but I no longer do. I enjoy working with animals, but I am ready for a change.
Pros
15% employee discount
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Good for a student that required flexible hours
Petcare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 21, 2015
I've been working here for about 3 years as a Petcare Specialist for the PetsHotel. I've never been interested in moving up because I am a full-time student, had a second part-time job and additional volunteer work. I kept this job because it was very stable, and very flexible in my hours and they paid the bills. I like my coworkers for the most part, so it was a good fit for me.

I love working with the animals, and sometimes it really is great to have dozens of dogs to just cuddle. However, that said, it is a very MESSY job. You will basically be picking up #2's all day. Cleaning is important, and it is necessary to pay attention. It's not really a job you can kinda skate by on, because the dogs/cats lives are directly affected. I personally don't mind the messiness, and I just like caring for animals in general. Some others are more grossed out, so beware.

Its very physically demanding, since I get dragged around by dogs on leashes all day long, run back and forth across the facility, and occasionally have to restrain dogs. Plus though is that it's generally not boring since there's so much to do.

Management is variable. I've had fantastic supervisors that I absolutely loved and it made the job great. My manager was great and very accommodating to my schedule and any days I needed off. She recently left the company, so we shall see if that continues. That said, I've had terrible supervisors as well. People who go on power trips, force us to work later than scheduled when things are too busy, then chastise us for not so great work: basically a "can do
  more... no right" sort of environment. I almost quit in those few months. (I don't mind extra work... but maybe not for a minimum wage retail sort of job!)

Talking to coworkers from different stores it really boils down to the individual store. Each hotel is run differently, as they are all not built the same, (individual kennels vs. play space), or have the same clientele (busy w/ lots of boarding vs. day to day daycampers). Corporate will try to implement different rules, but they generally don't make any sense. Corporate attempts to run the Hotels like the retail store, but again, that doesn't work well. They want everything run in a specific way all of the time, but unfortunately working with animals and clients in this way means that every day is different and unpredictable. A good manager will make or break this job. Management is not well trained on how to be good managers, so there tends to be people who either become too authoritarian, or are too friendly with their employees.

If you're looking to move up, I've seen lots of coworkers move up in this job. Mostly by being friends with the management. One downside is that they are very cliquey and political. You have to be friends and play the game, which is sort've annoying.
Pros
flexible hours, nice coworkers
Cons
on your feet all the time, bad management
fun place to work
Hotel Manager (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 21, 2015
A fun place to work. Have to work every major Holiday not a fan but i love the job. Wish leadership can be more understanding and work more as a team.
Pros
love pets
Cons
way to many leaders
productive and positive work environment
excellent customer service (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 21, 2015
My overall experience at this establishment has been a wonderful experience. I have been given oppurtunity to advance and contribute my unique abilities to the overall workplace culture.
Fun and happy
Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIDecember 19, 2015
Great place to work if you love animals and enjoy taking care of them. Customer service is key to making people happy. It is always nice working with animals.
Pros
fun with animals
Great Company
Assistant Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCDecember 19, 2015
Company was sold in March 2015. A lot of great associates, managers and district managers have lost their careers due to the restructuring of the store operations. Very sad