PetSmart Employee Reviews

Fun company for animal-lovers
Pet Products Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2018
PetSmart is a fun place to work. They're a bit rigid in terms of ideas and implementation. Shelves and product placement must be precise; according to the guide book. PetSmart is the type of retail that emphasizes specificity and direction. Tasks must be completed a certain way, which should yield a specific-looking result.
Great atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COFebruary 7, 2018
Petsmart was a very fun place to work, the people and customer were wonderful and the atmosphere was great. A lot of learning opportunities and decent pay .
Pros
Fun, cheerful
Cons
Pay
Fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INFebruary 7, 2018
A typical day of work involved working the register, helping customers find items within our store, providing helpful information about the production PetSmart has to offer, promoting the services PetSmart has to offer, and providing a positive and upbeat checkout experience.
The management was very helpful and uplifting during my time at PetSmart, and the other coworkers were very friendly and helpful.
Too much drama and too much work.
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 7, 2018
Too much drama and too much work for the hours provided. Corporate doesn't know what they are doing and are ready to fire you at any second you take a chance or make a mistake.
Great Place
Cashier/stock (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 7, 2018
PetSmart is a really fun place to work. It is full of people who love animals and want to provide them and their owners with the best equipment for them and their pet.
Over all Great
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAFebruary 7, 2018
Enjoyed working at PetSmart, however I worked a shift that had me working 2-9am and it became too much. Job was great. People I worked with were polite and friendly.
Pros
Discount on certain products
Cons
Hours
Management Sucks
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 7, 2018
Whatever you do.... do NOT work at Petsmart located in Virginia Beach. I was in the salon... got one day of training before they sent me off on my own expecting to know how to answer phone calls, schedule appointments, clip dogs nails. On my third day of work they had given me two pitbulls, a dog who had never been to the grooming salon before and a Great Dane. I had come home many nights crying to my boyfriend because of how poorly they had treated me in there. And when I needed help they just gave me weird faces and act like it was soooo easy for what I was doing. Speaking of which my manager was only there to watch me my first two days. I had told them I needed more training but recieved none and they expected way to much out of me. They had even told me that 7 people had already quit this position within the past two months. So I know this wasn’t my fault... anyways.. luckily I had taken some time off for Christmas and asked to be switched to a different part of the store cause I could just not handle it in the grooming salon. Anywho... I go into the Pet Care area.. and a cool person trains me but explains to me that he’s only been working there for not even a month and still doesn’t know everything. So I’m like .. great. Anyways... the first few days were fine because I was mainly just watching but then they set me off on my own. Meanwhile I have a customer coming up to me every two seconds asking a question I do not know the answer too. So I have to ask someone to come over and help me which they proceed to do resentfully. Then they expect me to know how to capture a bird  more... , how to hold a hamster and a snake. When they NEVER TAUGHT ME OR WATCHED ME.. the worst of all this was scooping up crickets. Never again will I work at a PetSmart. Good luck to them finding new workers because their turnover rate is so high due to management. I quit mid shift one day and found a new job within the same week and am 200% more happy at my new job. So moral of this story...DONT WORK AT VIRGINIA BEACH( Hilltop) Petsmart.

Also quick side story...one day it had snowed a lot here and I hadn’t got a call saying work was canceled so I proceeded to get ready trying to call the store but their phone wasnt working.. 20 mins before I had to go in my store manager calls me to let me know work was cancled. I was furious. Like she couldn’t have called me an hour prior??? The store would have been open for two hours already and yet they still couldn’t have gave me more notice as I was already dressed In my work uniform and I was outside warming up my car even waking my boyfriend up to have him drive me to work because of how bad the roads were.
Pros
The dogs
Cons
Little to no breaks. Bad management.
Supportive team leaders
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2018
PetSmart is a great company to work for. They work hard to provide a warm, caring environment for employees. Salaries are fair for most positions. Leadership is well trained.
Fast paced environment with the added bonus of working with animals
Pet care specialist (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHFebruary 6, 2018
PetSmart was a fantastic company to work for. I loved working with dogs and cats on a daily basis. Stress levels at times were harrowing for me, but would definitely re-apply if necessary.
Pros
working with dogs
Cons
Loud noise levels
Friendly, Relaxed Environment
Bather/Groomer (Current Employee) –  Burbank, ILFebruary 6, 2018
Working as a Bather in the Grooming Salon is such a fun and interesting job for those who love animals (mostly dogs). Being able to be around dogs all the time working in this type of environment is such a good learning experience. You're really able to learn a lot about how to properly care for dogs and how grooming regularly can extend the life of a dog. Management is very particular about how they want things done to promote safety of all pets. Weekends are usually the busier days in the Salon for both Bathers and Groomers, but either way there is always something to do.
fast paced enviroment
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 6, 2018
it was a great place to work for that's where I learned all about animals and the care for them some of the management was good there were a few that were questionable I was there for awhile and people that go there after I did were getting raises and more hrs and I was getting nothing
Pros
discounts
Cons
poor management
Early morning stocker
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Broomall, PAFebruary 6, 2018
When i worked at Pet-smart I was mainly a early morning stocker from about 4am in the morning until 9 or 11 am. Making sure merchandise is in the right places. Also was a fork-lift operator pulling and putting up pallets of product.
Manager and Pet stylist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAFebruary 6, 2018
As a Manager of the grooming salon, Talk to customers when upset about their doggie haircut or bath, booked appointments. did a monthly budget paperwork, made schedules for the employees.
Pros
got monthly bonus for the Salon on Sales.
Cons
shortbreaks
Fun atmosphere
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAFebruary 5, 2018
Co-workers are fun to get to know even when you are new, they attend to make you feel welcomed even if you worl in different parts of the store. Playing and taking care of the dogs ia the best part of the day.
Can be a difficult first job, but well worth the experience.
Bather (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 5, 2018
Good managers and fun animals to work with. Can be difficult for a first job, lots of safety precautions to follow. It is worth it if you can get used to it.
Ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 5, 2018
Satisfactory atmosphere and environment. Working with others interested in helping others and their pets. It is wonderful to learn about other animals.
Pros
Get to interact with other people interested in animals.
Good job. A little to cooperate for me
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILFebruary 5, 2018
Good job. I enjoyed learning about different kinds of animals. I also enjoyed taking care of all the animals. Working for a cooperation is terrible. All they worry about is selling. So I took care of animals to the best of my ability with the lack of supplies and support from some of the management.
Pros
discounts. working with different animals
Cons
lack of supplies and support to take care of animals well
Management works hard
Persentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAFebruary 4, 2018
Management positions work 10 hr shifts that tend to be stressful but great if you can juggle the hours. If your part time, the discount is great if you have furry friends at home.
Pros
Great trainning, great discounts, cool customers
Cons
Long hours for managers, no flexibility if sick
Fun job
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GA 30096February 4, 2018
This was a fun job to have. Employees work together and management was fair and honest. They pay is pretty poor and don't expect to find a full time job here, but a good part time job.
It was an om place to work
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2018
It wasn't foo bad working there. They cut full time hours because management doesn't know how to schedule people there. There's so much favoritism its ridiculous. Its like a high school setting but worse because managers are involved in the gossip. The only redeeming factor was the pups. I worked at the hotel and that's the only thing that kept me going was the dogs. I was full and I closed 4 days out of my 5 work day week. They only let you call out if they like you. I've had to go into working not being able to walk or having fevers and they don't csre, but there were other's that called out because they didn't have rides and they didn't say anything to them.
Pros
Dogs and some coworkers
Cons
They cut full time hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K

2.3

Career Opportunities

Family Support
2.5

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight