PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,677 reviews matching the search
Never a dull day
Assistant Store Leader/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 16, 2017
Each day is different. There are different tasks to complete, different pet parents to assist, and different questions asked. I've learned how to properly care for animals and how to recommend the proper pet for pet parents along with operational skills including interviewing, hiring, coaching, training, payroll, and managing different types of associates. Hardest part about the job is the commute. Benefits and advancement opportunities are great. Workplace culture is fun but is changing under new company leadership.
Pros
seeing dogs and puppies daily
Cons
commute
best job ever
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHApril 16, 2017
i love working at petsmart because i love animals and having the chance to work with them everyday makes me feel as if i would not care if i was paid a check because i love the job that much
Nice environment
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDApril 15, 2017
All of my coworkers are very nice to me. I never had an issue with any of my managers. I liked working there to see all the different animals and i learned something new everyday about all of them.
benefits
Cons
having to clean up after dogs
Nice place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MAApril 15, 2017
Great place to work, always busy day to day. Never the same routine every day and enjoyes working the pets and customers that came into the store everyday
Great place to start
Stocking Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 15, 2017
Petsmart has changed a lot over the years but still maintains a high standard when it comes to the product that they deliver and services they provide.
Pros
Benefits, Training, get to work with animals.
Cons
No room for growth, turning into entry level work force.
Great Starter Job
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 14, 2017
Quick advancement from entry-level positions. A wide array of advancement opportunities. Easy to transfer from store to store and department to department within the stores too.
Pros
Quick advancement
Cons
Short breaks
Fun place to work
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 13, 2017
A great place to work if you get to work in the reptile and small animal department. You learn a lot and get to handle a lot of different species. You can also advance in the company.
Overall a great place to work if you're just starting out
Pet-Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 13, 2017
The overall work environment at my store was pleasant. I had an excellent management team that was always accommodating when I needed time off to study for exams, as I was also a full-time student. Additionally, they were always there for support when I needed assistance with something or when the occasional challenging customer came along.

Aside from the typical low wages offered in retail jobs, it's not a bad job for someone just entering the workforce or trying to make ends meet.

Obviously working with the store animals is a big plus if you enjoy animals.
Fun place if you like change and animals
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2017
the place is constantly under a state of change! The animals and customers do make it a fun daily environment. Hopefully it will return to a more stable environment.
Dog groomer
Dog Bath Trainee (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, NCApril 11, 2017
wasn't a fan of working here! they did alot of things wrong! they had a girl that hit a dog. went to the big guy and they didn't do anything about it!
Pros
very good health care
Cons
they showed alot of favoritism
Could be a fun place to work if management was friendly.
Customer Engagement Leader (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 11, 2017
Working with animals and customers is fun. Management has no experience with animals and insists on dictating the care and management of the animals. Management is also against the education of customers when they are buying animals and will let them get what ever they want without the concern of the animals in question.
Always something to do and great customer interacction
Specialty Associate (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAApril 11, 2017
Working with and helping educate pet parents was and always will be a joy for me. What I learned in animal husbandry is invaluable. However, the management at the store where I worked played politics; what I mean by that is they played favorites, enforced policy on the unlucky select few and not everyone. Our store seemed to be where the corporate office sent all the managers that needed retraining or where biding their time before getting fired.
Pros
great customers, loved working with the animals
Cons
management and compensation where both lacking
review
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAApril 11, 2017
To much high stress comes with any position working at Pet Smart. Very unorganized and to many disgruntled employees. Ones that worked hard were not recognized.
Wrong place for me to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALApril 11, 2017
A typical workday proceeded in picking up the slack of other associates not doing their part. I learned that favoritism is not easy to work with. Some management was good where others were bad. Workplace culture was judgmental and not very nice. The hardest part of thejob was dealing with some of the other associates and managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was my customers. I loved my regulars and enjoyed helping new customers.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours, Favoritism
Great job only if you LOVE animals
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDApril 11, 2017
It is an okay job, dealing with the animals is so fun, but you do a lot of work for not that much pay. People in the same position can also make a lot more than you. They say you can get lots of advances but you really don't, no room for full time unless you are a manager.
Pros
animals
Cons
low pay
Best Retail company to work for
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 10, 2017
Petsmart is as laid back as it gets. With the right management, and a great team, being a pet care associate is the dream job. You can learn so much about your basic pets that you never knew about before. the training and resources here equip you to always have the right answers for customers. Working with customers can be rewarding because they are usually laid back people if they have a pet. Task completion can be complicated on a busy day so time management is essential. Helping a customer save money is more rewarding than you may think. What goes around, comes around.
Pros
flexible scheduling, room to advance and promote
Cons
as a part time employee, hours can be hard to keep constant
Wouldn't Recommend
PET CARE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 10, 2017
The communication between the entire staff, especially between the different departments, is horrible. The lack of universal training between people in pet care is very annoying for the customers.
Not Great but learned alot
Manager (Promoted up from Associate) (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAApril 10, 2017
Petsmart does alot of great things. My review is solely based on my last manager who couldn't find his way out of a paperbag if it was stuck on his head.
Pros
Dogs
Fun place to work for
Pet care Specialist (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXApril 10, 2017
Its a pretty good place to work because you get to interact with all types of people and animals. You have to have some type of passion about animals to work here because this is the reason you come to work for,
Pros
Nice Hours
Cons
Short Breaks
Great environment and great people
Cashier/ Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  Seneca, SCApril 10, 2017
They really work around what you need it have two jobs and go to school but they give me the hours they can. They also work with you as far as cross training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval