PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,434 reviews matching the search
Easy Paced and Time Oriented
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIFebruary 1, 2017
It was a cool job, I ran into a lot of enjoyment everyday and learned much more about animals. Also I was able to work another job with this one. The were very lenient and understanding.
Enjoyed learning about the animals.
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Surfside Beach, SCFebruary 1, 2017
I learned a vast amount about different types of animals. I also became better at speaking to people and selling products. The managers used us and were difficult to work with.
Pros
The animals
Cons
Short breaks, managers
Fun and busy environment
Customer Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WA 98036February 1, 2017
Fun place to start of your day. Filled with greetings from both people and animals. Always a happy and relaxing environment, learned a lot about the animals.
All around great job for true animal lover
Bather/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, NCFebruary 1, 2017
If you truly love caring for animals, this job is great. They do teach you valuable skills, as well as the offer to become a fully trained groomer after attending academy. There are the usual hazards when working with dogs and cats, scratching, biting, etc. But honestly if you have a fully engaged staff around you, this doesn't even feel that much like work.
Very fun workplace with a happy and close knit atmosphere.
Petcare Associate, Customer Care, Inventory Team (Current Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 31, 2017
Working at PetSmart definitely reminds me of my love for animals each and every day. I love to be around and care for them. They are my passion.
Before working at PetSmart, I was very shy and anxious around most people. Without PetSmart, I would have never come out of my shell. I now love customer service, and spending my work days helping customers learn about their new pets and what each animal we carry needs to live a happy, stress free, healthy life. My management team and coworkers are all amazing at encouraging and being there for everyone they work with. It is a very uplifting, rewarding feeling to work with each and every one of them.
PetSmart helped me discover that I have a love for Inventory work. I absolutely love to organize and know where everything is and how much of each product we have.
Ok company to work for
PetsHotel Associate (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 31, 2017
Is a nice company but theres no team effort meaning alot of people slack. You end up doing someone elses work alot and the manager cares but the workers dont listen. So you get stuck with work you shouldnt be doing.
Pros
Not boring nice people Free snacks
Cons
Time management, work ethic of others
Good family oriented vibe.
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAJanuary 30, 2017
good overall company. steady scheduling. overtime is lovely. management for weekend nights are the best. attendance is a key. very productive job.
Very fun place to work at with pets.
CASHIER/CASHIER LEAD (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Slow-high traffic/customers, learned a lot about the nutrients and ingredients food, specifically about pets. Management is great. Workplace culture is great.
Hardest part of job: dealing with fraudulent returns.
Most enjoyable: customers and dealing with pets.
Mostly a great place to work
Pet Care Manager - Customer Engagement Leader (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJanuary 30, 2017
You really have to care to learn stuff other than what the training tells you other wise you wont make it up the ranks. The hardest part of the job is having to meet the labor laws for the company
Cashier Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FL 33710January 30, 2017
really great place to work. met so many great people and enjoyed doing what i did everyday. You can learn a lot from the people you work with and it is not a hard job
Great Place to Start as an animal lover
Pet Care Lead (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJJanuary 30, 2017
I learned a lot about exotic pets while working here. I also knew that PetSmart is retail, so the objective is to sell, sell, sell. Because of that I wanted to work somewhere were the objective was truly animal care, which is why I left in September of 2012 to work as a Veterinary Technician.
Productive work environment
Early Morning Stocker (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJJanuary 30, 2017
My time with Petsmart was good, I enjoyed my time there and the employees were all really easy going and helpful. The only thing I didn't like about the company was the lack of available hours.
Great place to work for an animal lover
Cashier (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJanuary 30, 2017
typical day at work is coming in to the store to the weird smell of all different animals not just dogs. Typical worker will face the store and work with products from animals to treats to heavy lifting of dog houses and dog food. They maintain the store clean, animals and the floors from animal wastes. cleaning animal tanks from snakes to birds,skorpions, fishes, birds and sick animals as well. The management aren't the best but there are some great store managers that i worked with that were excellent managers. The hardest part of working in this job is sometimes the coworkers but most importantly the kinds of dogs you get in the store. You will never know if you will be working with a nice or bad pet. Most enjoyable part of the job is that you encounter lots of different kinds of animals not just dogs and cats.
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
work with sick animals and very weird smells
Fun place to work. Amazing people
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Horseheads, NYJanuary 30, 2017
Besides during the holidays hours Dwinddle and they hire like every 6 months. It's a nice place to work. Some friendly staff.
Petsmart
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 29, 2017
Assisting with questions and answers about pet supplies and pets. Stocking of shelves, Taking of fish inventory when it come in. Cleaning of fish tanks
Pros
Customers
Cons
Slow times
Fun place to work if you enjoy animals of all kinds
Day camp associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 29, 2017
I learned a lot about dogs and dog care while working at pet smart, the management was decent and enjoyable to work with prior to managers changing. it was a great experience when i first started working at pet smart, my favorite parts of the job were spending my days in camp with the dogs and being around the associates that were working there.
High expectations, low pay
Pet Care Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 29, 2017
I find it hard to leave a positive review about this company.

I was a Team Lead for a group of 5 total employees. When employees didn't show up, I was expected to pick up the shift- despite the fact that I'd already worked 8 hours and live an hour away.

It is obvious that the corporate side of this company places very little importance in the care and well-being of the animals in the store- even when improvements in care cost nothing.

For the amount of work that I and many of my team members put in, the pay was lacking. There are also no opportunities for upward momentum in the company at the store level. Managers came from outside hiring. The best hope for someone to advance at the store level is a horizontal promotion with no pay increase.
I loved working at PetSmart
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJanuary 28, 2017
I enjoyed working at PetSmart. I was a pet care specialist. I have had a lifetime of experience working with pets and exotic animals. I raised reptiles while in college to help pay my way. This job was a way for me to be around animals daily. I helped pet owners with questions and was able to provide information that was of great value to them. The animals were also a great responsibility, we had to make sure they were well fed and in great health. I had so much previous experience working with animals as I was also an assistant manager at a Pet Store in Minnesota.
Pros
Loved working with the animals and helping Pet Owners with their own pets.
Cons
There weren't any cons except the pay wasn't all that great.
Very hands on with animals and assist customers
Pet care Associate/Retail (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJJanuary 28, 2017
Where I am currently working, in my daily basis routine I take care of animals and make sure they are healthy and well taken care of. Give the best of my knowledge to pet parents with any questions or worries they have about their dog, cat and any exotic animal. Management where I am working at the moment is the best I have seen. Everyone respects each other. I could definitely say the hardest part of my job is that there are days where customers can be ignorant about how an animal should be taken care of. But when a pet parent does have interest of how an animal should be taken care of and not because it is only an animal but a living creature, it is something I enjoy and don't mind doing.
fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Upland, CAJanuary 28, 2017
i truly enjoyed working here. It was a very happy and helpful job to me. Especially because i love animals, i was able to learn a lot about animals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

65%