PetSmart

2.3K reviews

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 2,165 reviews matching the search
Review of PetsHotel in PetsMart
Associate/Doggy Daycamp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Darien, ILDecember 10, 2015
Current management needs work. Employees are not valued, often are told to deal with issues, and therefore, there is a lot of turn over. Other employees are nice to work with and the job can be fun and rewarding. There is a chance of moving up in the company but that is not readily available. Full time is not offered and is very hard to get. Hours are varied and work is not steady but this is understandable because of the business type. Working on holidays is required. Schedules often change.
Pros
discount
Cons
hours vary, no full time, bad management
It is what you make it
Dog Bather / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CADecember 9, 2015
A great jumping off point to make your way into animal related fields. Different stores will have different experiences. Some are great, some not so much.
Fun and not Fun
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 9, 2015
Working at petsmart was fun depending on what you were doing. Working stock and mechandise was great. But the people that come into that store are horrible. And not to mention the horrible customer service that some of the employees give.
Everyday was a new experience, full of opportunities and the chance to work with pets.
CASHIER LEAD (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 9, 2015
Working with Petsmart has been life changing its gives you the opportunity to work with individuals that share the same passion as you.
Love working with Animals
Bather (Former Employee) –  Arvada, CODecember 8, 2015
A typical day at PetSmart in the grooming salon as a bather was exhausting. On top of having 8+ dogs to groom (expectations were 16 dogs, 2 every hour), bathers are also responsible for ALL the walk-in services (each ranging 5-10 minutes to do), so all in all, a bather would be handling 20+ dogs a day. I have learned a great deal working with pets while working at PetSmart. I have learned the how to keep up on health on pets health well as learning new things about pets that I would have never known. The management of PetSmart is either a hit or a miss. You have some managers who don't follow safety protocols at all (and even gets defensive when confronted about it) to managers who have dealt with so much, that they are at the point of not caring what customers have to say or corporate has to say. My co-workers in the salon, though, were the best group of people I have ever worked with. We always had something to talk about, to joke about, to laugh about and to cry about. Everyone was there for each other when needed, and the help was there when I needed. The hardest part of my job was the high expectations. Groomers made 50% commission, but I was hourly. Therefor, PetSmart was expecting me to do the most work. Well, a typical store has 4-6 bathers on their teams. I was the only bather for my store, so my workload was always a workload meant for four bathers. In perspective, in 4 days, I did $1,550 in sales, more than groomers did in 5 days. But as my salon manager always said, I'm a rockstar and did it all. The most enjoyable part about my job was working with Animals, helping  more... educate the public about animal health and safety and the staff I worked with.  less
Pros
Benefits, paid vacation, incentives
Cons
Management, expectations, stress levels
Good workplace that seems to be in transition.
order fill associate (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVDecember 7, 2015
Overall good place to work that actually works to satisfy both associates and management, though not ideal for individuals interested in quick advancement/
Fun, friendly work place
Cashier/Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GADecember 5, 2015
This job taught me a lot about working with people. I learned how to do inventory and work out on the floor, as well as how to stock and place everything corectly. I truly enjoyed and job, my only problem was there was no full time postitions.
Fun place to work
Lead Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 4, 2015
I loved working here! (I left for college). It was a fun environment to be in and work with people and animals. Best 5 years of work!
It was productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALDecember 4, 2015
I learned how to care of animals, how much to feed and water them, how to clean their habitats. The hardest part of the job was making sure that the animals did not get away because some of them were hard to catch.
Hectic
Animal Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, WIDecember 2, 2015
The only benefit I get out of working at Petsmart is making a difference in the pet owners lives when they have they're dog all groomed nice and clean.
Regular income and benefits, unfortunately management and other stylists lacked knowledge in my department.
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXDecember 2, 2015
I have always had business however, management refused to understand the duties in the salon. I maintained great client relations unfortunately I worked with a staff who lacked knowledge, and patience with animals and co-workers.
Pros
regular income, store discounts
Cons
hard to take breaks due to proper dog scheduling, lack of training support
Great first Job
North Brunswick - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJDecember 1, 2015
PetSmart is a good place to start when looking for that first job. A typical day at work consists of helping customer find the best products for their pets, interacting with all kinds of animals (big and small), helping out in the fish department(if asked), and of course cleaning up a few "oopsies" here and there. Despite having to clean some urine or feces once or twice per day, it was a great family and work environment. Its a great place to learn the basic work fundamentals such as team work, good customer service, time management, and multitasking. The managers were all great to work with as well as co-workers, they all stem from different backgrounds so you learn a lot about respecting others and accepting cultural differences. The hardest part of the job was acquiring more hours, there was a large amount of employees which meant you'd have a smaller amount of hours unless you were a groomer and or a trainer. The most enjoyable aspect of PetSmart is interacting with the animals as well as all sorts of intriguing customers.
Pros
Work Environment, Flexibility, Understanding Employers
Cons
Little Pay, Little Hours, Not Much Advancement
puductive and fun work place
asst manager (Current Employee) –  Laplace, LANovember 30, 2015
I love to interact with pets and people....help them with finding the best solution for there pets. I love animals.The company is very helpful if u fave pets of your own..
Pros
good company to work for
Pets are always great
P et Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 30, 2015
As a Pet Care Specialist, I learned that people can really be a drag on your day, but if you find that one thing that keeps your spirits up, all is good. I am mixed, because on one hand I loved it, but I know I also couldn't stand the way things were done.
Fun workplace environment with amazing staff members
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLNovember 30, 2015
Staff members always made my day. I could have used better support and respect from the members of upper management. High turnover rate
Outgoing place with wonderful people and pets
Cashier/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Lauderhill, FLNovember 29, 2015
A typical day at work was calm always to me never to extreme, I was pretty familiar with cashier system and stocking wasn't so different from what I learned previously so it wasn't a hard day at work.
Pros
Great benefits for your personal pet
Cons
Poor working hours
Customer service
Professional Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYNovember 27, 2015
Customer service in number one and each associate will go over and above to make sure each customer finds what they came for.
Just love working pets.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 27, 2015
Love being around animals and people who love animals. The environment of work is great and the management. I replenish the store and answered questions to pet parents.
Easy if you know what your doing.
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 25, 2015
I worked at Petsmart for 2 years. I enjoyed it and it became fun as long as you are knowledgable about animals. I found the management somewhat lacking and had to "self manage" the department I was working in. This job is great as long as you are experienced with animals.
Pros
Work with Animals!
Cons
Customers expect more from you.
Fun place to work with room for advancement!
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 23, 2015
Petsmart is a corporate box store, which such tends to get a bad reputation. However, in my short tenure here, I have found the pay structure to be above average, the atmosphere to be quite refreshing, and the potential to advance in the company to be very realistic. Great place to work and I love animals!
Pros
Pays well for a retail box store, and the atmosphere is positive with room for advancements
Cons
if you don't love animals, its not for you.