PetSmart Employee Reviews

Just a pleasant place to work.
Petcare Lead (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 26, 2017
I loved my job and if I hadn't needed more money to make ends meet, I would still be there. Everyone worked together, laughed together, and we knew our customers by name as well as their pets' names.
Productive & great place to work at.
Reach Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXNovember 26, 2017
I would still be working here if I lived closer. The hours required to work here coincided with my kids school schedule. The fact that I have to get my kids up & ready for school dictates the type of job/schedule I need.
Pros
Great managers
Cons
Inconsisten hours
Overall ok place to work
SHIPPING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GANovember 25, 2017
I liked working for this company but the hours were not good for me, and if you don't meet quota during the holidays you have to stay and work even though you have been there 12 plus hours. Management is ok, but if you have a family don't plan on seeing them on a regular basis because you will be working all of the time.
Pros
Great benifits and pay.
Cons
Long hours, hard back breaking work.
A wonderful resource for pets and pet parents
Bather (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 25, 2017
The happiest place to work, other than Disneyland. The entire building is committed to the care of pets, a cherished part of every community and family. The selection and special vendor interaction events offer direct consumer knowledge of products before committing your pet to a product.
Very fast paced, always on your feet
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 25, 2017
Working at petsmart was overall really fun and you learn a lot about animals and environments you never even knew about. The customers who came into petsmart were my favorite because we both shared a love for animals so everyone was always so nice. If you have a lot of allergies or even the slightest allergies to animals or HAY then i wouldn’t suggest working here because i was miserable every time i had to do bedding changes. As a pet care Associate you’re always doing something, if you have down time you’re scrubbing tanks. If you’re done scrubbing tanks you’re cleaning out bedding. You practically get into trouble when you aren’t doing anything. Make sure if you get this job that you have comfortable shoes because you will be on your feet the entire shift. Also the animals DO bite. The hamsters have broken my skin many times and have even bitten customers.
I would suggest doing a bite test with either a chew stick or your knuckle(it hurts way less than just sticking your finger into their face)
Pros
Animals, nice customers, gaining knowledge
Cons
Always on your feet, allergies
fun work place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 25, 2017
i had a great time working for petsmart the environment was nice the store was always clean the customers were always amazing petting dogs and cats was a plus
Cashier/Bather
Customer Service, Bather (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INNovember 24, 2017
The job itself wasn't bad at all, I more-so couldn't afford the distance to pay ratio. I had to manage my priorities, while I loved the job I just couldn't afford to work there.
Pros
Customers/managers
Cons
Pay
Forklift Operator
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GANovember 24, 2017
I was just driving a forklift picking up and dropping off loading and loading them in the right trucks. but overall it was a great work environment and very safe.
Pros
Great Equipment
Cons
Breaks to short, Point System
Team was amazing, management was not
Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 24, 2017
Made lots of empty promises, often screwed up my schedule and then blamed me for it. Management picks favorites and insults employees. Discriminated against a pregnant coworker. The manager never actually did any work, only ever sat in his office on the phone gossiping. Often called employees incompetent. Pet care manager does not do her job. Often kills fish on purpose or just let's them die. Needless to say this place is not worth it.
Pros
Discounts, cute animals
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 24, 2017
I had fun working at petsmart and learning the different care the animals needed. The coworkers were fun and usually happy to be there. I loved working the different shifts they had to offer and had the oppertunity to learn the different areas.
Play with animals all day
Pets Hotel Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 24, 2017
Come and play with dogs and cat, help customer to make the best decision for the pet, teach the dogs behaviors and people friendly. When we have a customer for many years and the pet pass.
Pros
Food for the holidays
Cons
managers
Honestly the worst job I ever had.
Pet Training Instructor/Bather (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GANovember 22, 2017
My managers called me names, made fun of customers, and didnnot care about any of the animals. We went through managers more than you should change your underwear. It was insane how often we had new employees and managers bc they were so awful. Nobody was properly trained on animals and it was the main reason I decided to leave. I was cross-trained on register, pet care, salon, and training and I made less than EVERYONE there.
Pros
Discount? I guess. That’s really it.
Cons
Literally everything.
Terrible
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Casselberry, FLNovember 22, 2017
work you literally like a dog!!!!! Rude managers and DM's that could careless for your well being! I worked here for 3 years and I barely have the time to breathe!
It was fantastic until a shift in managenent.
PetsHotel Senior (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSNovember 22, 2017
I loved my job until they gave my boss a promotion. The new manager lets a lot of in-fighting happen and it's become increasingly uncomfortable. No one likes getting yelled at. If I could have a calmer team, it'd be a fantastic place.
Pros
Stable pay, career advancement
Cons
short lunch, stressful, unaccomodating
I think petsmart is good the way it is.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXNovember 22, 2017
I really would like to help out with the dogs please. I will start my job December 1st. And I will always always come after school. I also have a disability including Autism, assburgers, OCD and another one I totally forgot just to let you know.
Pros
I will definitely be bringing a lunch from home.
Cons
I would like probaly a couple short breaks at least.
Poor Operations
Acting store manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 22, 2017
PetSmart doesn't use operational common sense in running their business. They focus on the smallest of details and the most irrelevant things, but then turn around and cut payroll to the point that you can't even maintain day to day operations without your salaried managers working 60 plus hours a week.
Fun place for pet lovers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKNovember 21, 2017
Great place to work. must be able to lift 50 lbs. many times per day. Not a fast pace place except during the holidays. Very early mornings, 5:00am. Nights are not too late, 8:00pm - 9:00pm.
Pros
Off early
Cons
Struggle to get 40 hours a week
Petsmart
Cashier / Custodial (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NC 28105November 21, 2017
PetSmart was my first job it was the most fun job I have ever had, a typical day was BUSY but it was great and I very much enjoyed it.

I loved seeing the animals that would come in with the pet parents. I even volunteered for the cat adoption just so i could work one-on- one with the sweet animals.

Every one there was fun to work with sometimes the managers had their bad days, but who doesn't? They were still fun to be around.

Hardest part was having to quit because I was unknowingly having gallbladder issues and I was the RCA and it was causing me a lot of pain and there was certain things I could not lift which affected other jobs I had. Even though I didn't officially quit I was in and out of the hospital and had no way to contact them because half the time i was asleep trying to get better. Which they probably weren't very happy about but I had a lot going on at the time and i have worked on my communication with my past employers since.

The most enjoyable part was cleaning the store, I absolutely love to clean and volunteering with the cats one day I was put in pet care with the birds although I am terrified of birds it was fun!
Pros
Doing something I loved
Cons
Short breaks
Good part time
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Melville, MONovember 21, 2017
I enjoyed management and co workers, Work combined with fun. The work was fast pace and I enjoyed the customers Lost of opportunity to learn and grow no matter what department you start in.
Pros
fun parties in break room
Cons
No health benefits for part timers
Enjoyed working with animals
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LANovember 20, 2017
Love working with and around animals daily. dealing with customers and answering their questions about their animals was a daily challenge I looked forward to, not only as a sales associate but becoming a part of their family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.