PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 3,843 reviews matching the search
Fun place but that's it
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIMay 15, 2017
This company is so micromanaged that if you work there as a store employee, you are in complete dark about any decision being made. Even stuff that store managers know is not frequently passed down to employees and promises of promotions are broken often. You as an employee are left with the perception of being lied to often. I loved the pets and the customers but this is the first job I ever quit without having one lined up for a reason.
Treats employees unfair
Pet Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2017
I learned the proper care of a wide variety of small animals, birds, fish and the higher management is not willing to put forth the funds to keep these animals healthy and happy.
Fun but is stress inducing
Pet Care Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  New JerseyMay 14, 2017
The other associates are great but management is terrible in my location. Scheduling is also horrible and will only let you get out of working everyday without a regular day off if you have another job right after and even then, that's rarely.
Pros
Discounts, great coworkers
Cons
Bad scheduling, crooked management
Stock boy
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 14, 2017
Mainly spent my times stocking shelves. Interaction with customers was focused on finding what they needed. Transitioning them into better quality of products to better their pets lives.
Pros
Discounts, be around animals, easy tasks
Cons
lazy pet parents, animal waste, early morings
Decent Employer
Pet Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTMay 13, 2017
I enjoyed working at PetSmart. I was promoted very quickly from an entry level associate to third in charge of the store in about nine months. My store management was amazing and the the team of employees I trained were incredible.
Pros
Employees, customers, promotion
Cons
wage
Very Enjoyable work place
Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 13, 2017
Very upbeat environment , alway busy. Big on teamwork and cleanliness. the hardest part of this job is to try and not git bit by a dog. The most enjoyable part has to be how friendly our customers are.
Great in the past, skeptical of the future
Merchandise & Inventory Leader (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 12, 2017
Lots of changes have been made since the buy out. If you ask a lot of the managers who have been with the company for a long time, we all will agree that we have seen better days.

They also eliminated a lot of positions that I felt were necessary, such as department leads that would of been a managers "go to" person for help and support.

But with that said, it is still a good company to work for and constantly growing.
Pros
If full time, great pay and benefits
Cons
Stressful and demanding
Bad turnover made it hard to continue working
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COMay 12, 2017
People would come in and get very little training for registers/policies/etc and within a week they would be gone which meant the more experienced workers were constantly covering shifts and getting called in. There was a lot of drama in the grooming salon that filtered out onto the floor which created a negative working environment no matter how positive I tried to stay.
Pros
good discount on pet stuff, great to see all the animals that came in
Cons
Part-time workers really get the short stick
Eciting
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 12, 2017
I enjoyed working for PetSmart, I get to meet new people along knowing their pets, its very proactive never a doll moment the Coworkers and Supervisor where very cool and courteous. if I would get the opportunity to work for PetSmart I definitely would.
okay entry job
Associate (Former Employee) –  ColoradoMay 12, 2017
okay as an enrty level job. not much in terms of advancement. lots of turnover. job duties/rules not enforced evenly across all employees. some people work hard while other barely work
Pros
discounts on pet supplies
Petsmart Woburn MA
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAMay 12, 2017
Awful management, constantly asking what you are doing even if you were just told to do a task and are doing it. Very demeaning and aggressive. Even asks what you are doing when you go to the bathroom for 60 seconds. Expected to tell everyone where you are or plan to go in the store at all times. Pay is low. You have to deal with nasty people like any retail job. You clean up a lot of dog excrement daily because owners just leave it in the middle of the store and expect you to clean up after their own dogs. Get guilt tripped if you happen to call in sick. NOT recommended.
Pros
dog friendly environment
Cons
management, customers, pay
Too serious for a low wage part-time job, they'll deny your raise every review.
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 11, 2017
Work days are repetitive with nothing new ever happening. You'll learn a lot about the animals that you care for there as well as solutions for maintaining the health of multiple animals. Most of management will try to overwork you and won't let you stop for even a minute. People generally don't stay for long and most of the people that do eventually stop caring. Cleaning reptile tanks is the hardest thing to do in my opinion, because you don't get enough time to do it properly and if you don't finish management will get mad at you. Only enjoyable part about it is learning and holding the animals when you get the time to.
Pros
Free food sometimes, animals
Cons
Overworked, under paid, very short days, not enough people, never good enough
Great if you need a first time job, or plan on moving into management.
Pet Care Lead (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 11, 2017
If you intend to move to management they give you opportunity to advance, however if you don't take the first opportunity to advance then they may over look you for the next advancement. Customer service is a must, but easy if you are good with this skill.
Pros
Ability to interact with different people and have different work day every day.
Cons
can be slow at times. Some early shifts if you are stocking.
first retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXMay 11, 2017
great place, got to great people and their pets. most people are kind. needs better management, they are pretty good but do have favorites like most people.
Typical Day At Work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 11, 2017
Fulfilled with working and helping for the care of all animals. Great people to work with. Very informative and learning new things all the time!!!!!!
Its been fun, and ive learned a lot of information
Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 11, 2017
I enjoyed my job more as an associate. I love my fellow associates and then manager as all nice and helpful. It just feels like a ton of work and I feel burnt out.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Customers can be brutal
Maybe just the location?
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDMay 11, 2017
I worked back in pet care so I would prepare the animals for the day, feed them, clean their cages, and interact with them. I would clean fish tanks, count fish, and remove dead fish. I prepared animals for purchase, gathered crickets and feeder fish, and removed any sick animals from the floor and took care of them separately. I actually enjoyed the work, honestly. The issue was with the people working there and how they handled their jobs. Other people working in pet care would disappear and I would have to cover for them, or they would neglect their duties openly until I did them. Management was incredibly harsh and particular about how things were done. Any discretion was treated as a major infraction. One manager told me to leave fifteen minutes early; I was publicly berated the next day by another manager in front of other employees and customers. I loved working with the animals. I didn't even mind having to scrub fish tanks as long as someone else was there to handle customers. I ended up having to quit due to medical issues and moving away, but I can't imagine having stayed too much longer anyway.
Pros
Animal handling, discounts
Cons
No part-time benefits, harsh management, lazy coworkers
Enjoyable
Cashier/Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 11, 2017
I love everyone at Petsmart. Working here is great.I worked with amazing people and customers. I close the store and managed the money. I have dealt with some customers who are not happy but i think over all i dealt with them great.
Fun work place
Petcare specialist (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLMay 11, 2017
Great company to work for. Easy group of people to work for. And yet to g to play with animals all day is a plus. My work day consist of feeding all the small animals, feeding and cleaning fish tanks, making sure the birds are feed and watered. Helping customers with finding the right kind off food for there fur baby's.
Super lame
Animal Care Lead (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAMay 10, 2017
Not such a great place to work if you have bills to pay. boring work, poorly educated staff, poor management, inconsistent hours, no accountability, place sucks.
Pros
none really
Cons
all of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval