Pflugerville ISD Employee Reviews

Substitute Teaching Isn't for Everyone
Substitute Teacher (K-12) (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXOctober 9, 2017
Personality makes a huge difference in how easy this job is for you. As a driven person, I found I did not enjoy being dropped into something different on a daily basis. I often felt like I was dropped into a moving machine and I had to figure out where my cog fit. Much of the job is establishing relationships and expectations. Unless you were in a longer assignment or you worked with a class repeatedly, there was a feeling of always covering the same ground. Are students interesting? Yes. Are students frustrating? Yes. Is there some simple solution to make this an easier job? I don't know.
Pros
Interesting people doing important things
Cons
People
Substitute
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXSeptember 21, 2017
Get a call or text, job available report to school check in front office, then find students and lesson plans.
What I learned is to be patient.
Having a break when students go to Specials Art, Music, PE.
Pros
flexible
Cons
You don't know what kind of students that you will have.
Great community to work in.
Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJuly 13, 2017
Great place to work. Administration always listen to employee concerns, suggestions and opportunity for growth is ever present. What I enjoy most is working with the students and faculty. Collaboration among teachers and special education teachers provide a more effective learning environment for students. There is plenty of time for planning. A great plus is being able to get into the building before, afterschool and on weekends. The school culture is very family oriented hosting several events throughout the school year such as Science Night, or Art Night. The PTO is very involved and provides lunch every month for the staff and faculty. Positive climate overall!
Pros
On site after school child care.
Cons
Some educational resources are lacking because of funding.
Fun place to work
Dual Language Literacy Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJuly 10, 2017
My school supports diversity and provides opportunities throughout the year for students to showcase their families and culture. District lack opportunities for advancement and does not provide equal compensation and benefits when compared to surrounding districts.

Professional development is offered throughout the year, although it is only given towards and group of teachers.
Cons
compensation and benefits
A fun work place
Educational Associate (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJuly 4, 2017
PISD is a very laid back environment, we have a lot of support from co-workers and supervision. The hours are great and the summers are off. I love it!
Pros
Work hours are great!
Cons
Short lunches
Good District
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2017
I had a great experience working for this district but the campus I worked at was not the greatest. We would get new principals at least every 2 years and behavior management was not very good either. Teachers would bring so much drama and made it hard to work there. On the bright side, I loved the kids and brought so much joy in my life!
Pros
Kids, benefits
Cons
Co-workers, pay
The Students ability to be awesome.
Educational Associate (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TX 78660June 14, 2017
A nice place to work foe Moms with kids, this job let me be on my kids school schedule, saved us from paying daycare bills. Being in the classroom taught me alot about others and even myself, I defiantly learned patience and responsibility. We made sure students had wat they needed through out the day giving them choices,to become creative and independent. Teachers and administrators work together in and out of the classroom, keeping the line of communication open while understanding the needs of all.The hardest thing about this job is leaving students and teachers you grow to like care about and enjoy. the enjoyable is knowing you will meet new ones.
Great start
Soccer Referee (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJune 12, 2017
It's a great job for a kid at a younger age. It allowed me as a little kid to go and make some money to buy my family things, and that's exactly what I did with it.
Pros
Fun great job.
Cons
Lots of running
Staff ready to spread joy, teach and protect the most valuable asset that parent send us daily.s send us
Resource Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJune 12, 2017
Typical day at work can be good, fun and challenging depending on the day and the students I work with that day. I learned that I have to meet each student where they are and bring them up to where they need to be. The hardest part is gaining trust at times depending on what they have going on their lives because they are not receptive if you don't build that trust. The most enjoyable part is when they finally get a concept that we had been working on for a long time and it seems as tho the light bulb came on shining brite as the sun.
Pros
Getting to touch a childs life in a special way and seeing them smile, Parents that appreciate the work we do with their children.
Cons
Healthcare, no year round school, kids fall behind being out 2 and a half months.
Overall PFisd is a great district to work for.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXMay 12, 2017
I have worked in Pfisd for more than 9 years and I love almost everything about the district. As the district has grown, some pains have been felt, especially in regards to special education. Funding has been diverted and practices have been changed and/or been implemented that have effected the program.
Pros
competitive salaries
Cons
Disparity in salaries for new teachers versus veteran teachers.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXApril 29, 2017
I was a substitute teacher so I received job assignments when teachers where absent. I taught the students by following lesson plans left by the teacher. Substitute teachers are allowed to choose which assignment they want.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not knowing schedule expect start time and end time
Nice working environment
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXApril 17, 2017
I worked with a great team. It was a discipline alternative education program. The issues with the school was that is was punitive based, not restorative. I had a great mentor on campus.
Friendly district with management problems from the top down
Middle School Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXDecember 10, 2016
PfISD is staffed with friendly people and you can occasionally feel the benefits of working in a smaller school district. I experienced a lot of room for growth because of the people above my particular content area. I was able to lead as well as work in a team to write curriculum which really helped me improve in my content area. There are some major issues that the district needs to handle if they want the students to exceed because I believe happy teachers = happy students. From the top admin to the campus admin there is a major issue of procrastination and indecisiveness; teachers are asked for extraordinary amounts of information or asked to take on extra tasks at the last minute. A teacher's workload is heavy and the admin on both the district level and the campus level do not seem interested in lightening the load so that the teacher can spend more time helping the students. PfISD has a major sub shortage issue which affects the teacher in a very negative manner. There are a lot of sharp, effective leaders in PfISD but they are not the ones selected for true leadership positions. The people they chose as leaders makes it look as though there is still a "good ole boys" mentality that occasionally can come with a small district.
Pros
friendly, small enough to collaborate across district
Cons
heavy work load, poor communication, poor management
Fulfillment and Success
Substitute (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXMay 12, 2016
I have the positive attitude that if I could change a student't life for the good, plus keep them out of trouble, jail or addictions such as alcohol and or drugs. I enjoyed watching a student's face light up with happiness when he or she saw that I was their teacher for that particular day. The hardest part of the job is a student who refuses to do their work, stay on task and is a disruption for the entire class. This makes it extremely difficult to keep the other students on point and interested in the lesson and the focus is on the disruptive student.
Pros
Out for the summer
Cons
Disruptive students
average position
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXMay 10, 2016
Average position with lots of bureaucracy. School environment with lots of access limitations and security. Strange pay calculations as they charge you for their chosen vacation and closed days.
Horrible management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dessau MiddleMarch 30, 2016
Horrible place to work, lack of leadership and students are bullied and no one does anything about it. They do not affirm their leadership. The Assistant Principals run the school not the principal. He is not fair and does not work through issues, very disrespectful to the students.
Pros
Cons
Leadership Treats students and staff badly
Tutor
AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXMarch 23, 2016
I like being a Tutor here, yet I wish they were a but more organized and we got paid to do a little bit more things. I love the kids and the school I am at.
Positions focused on students
Curriculum Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXNovember 4, 2015
While I have not been employed with PFISD for several years, my time as a member of the PFISD staff was memorable. Each campus has a unique culture and climate but all are focused on what is best for students.
very friendly enviroment
Iss teacher (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXOctober 7, 2015
I prepare student schedules get their work, talk with students about issues and problems they face. how to make better decisions to stay out of iss. Its very difficult reaching some of these students because of their background. there is good cooperation from the principals and the teachers. the hard part is motivating students to stay in class and completing their assignments. what motivates me is seeing these students graduate and knowing that I have had a positive influence in their life
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
repeat students in program.
a wonderful place to grow and learn----where city and country meet
Assistant Principal, Hendrickson High School (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXApril 7, 2015
FBISD is ahead of the game in the PLC concept and the use of computers for 21st century learning. It is great to watch students and teacher grow toward the final day of graduation.
Pros
open to ideas to spur learning
Cons
have received huge growth over the last 10 years....crowded