Phenomenex Employee Reviews in United States

Boring!!
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 3, 2016
I worked for this Company for 3 years. Management team is mostly made up of owner's sisters and other relatives. No advancement opportunities for entry level positions. No pay increase for hard working employees but yet the company makes millions of dollars. The owner only comes out to yell at you and he won't even acknowledge you if you are standing in front of him.
Pros
no overtime
Cons
pay
This place seems like a fun and rewarding company but it's a facade
Marketing brand manager (Former Employee) –  Torrance caOctober 11, 2015
The people at phenomenx were great but the management are all old Phenomenex employees with no prior management experience. They lack leadership tools and there really is no direction. Phenomenex is more like a "me too company" rather than a leader in the industry. The marketing a R&D department are not very innovative in their approach to what they do. They'll basically see what the competitors are doing and copy their product. The pay was also questionable. The company uses a very covert bonus structure that doesn't really reflect your performance as an employee and advancement in the company is non existent.

It's a good company for starting your career out of college but other than a resume builder it's really not that great as a company.
Pros
The people
Cons
Management, the pay structure, nepotism
Excellent job at an excellent company.
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CaliforniaAugust 17, 2015
Positive environment; encouraging management; friendly colleagues; plenty of company-sponsored fun; major philanthropic focus; superb customer service and technical support. As a Phenomenex employee, you get to be in the front row of some stellar developments in the scientific community and beyond. This is work you can feel good about doing - work that is changing the world for the better.
My current job is not challenging enough. I am not motivated to work anymore even though I like my colleagues.
QC Specialist (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 13, 2014
1. My typical day at work
Lead longevity testing for key part numbers to validate packing improvements to support product development, ex: improving overall product consistency,
Perform evaluations of data to determine adverse trends and take correct action as needed.
Partners with Production, Manufacturing Engineering Technology, RND, QC, and QA to help implement numerous continuous improvement initiatives.
Mentor new staff in QC department
2. What I learned management that not enough support
3. My co-workers are all kind, nice, and friendly with me.
4. The hardest part of the job is that my current job is not challenging enough and I am not motivated to work anymore even though I like my colleagues.
5. The most enjoyable part of the job is work on troubleshooting media and/or on customer's complaint related quality and lifetime concerns.
Great place to work o loved it there
Shipping and Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 2, 2014
Great People, I learned a lot about international shipping, Management was great, Coworkers awesome, it Felt good to work there. I would go back if they offered
Pros
great place
Overhyped
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 27, 2014
Management is non existent. No protocol, no proper tools for employees. EVERYONE seems to complain about the pay and for an industry worth millions the employee's should be making great money and sadly they don't. This company is over hyped. It's UNIQUE story is nothing more than a sales pitch to have you commit only to get nothing back. Sure over work the employee but don't offer pay raises or advancement opportunities.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
pay, no growth potential
The best of the best, Not!
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 19, 2014
Company doesn't like to give pay raises although you've been working here for years. If you have bills, this company isn't for you because what they paying you here for Lab Tech isn't worth it. You'll fall behind your bills on a monthly basic.
Pros
work environment is easy and fun
Cons
hr and management lie to the employees, promises of promotion are false, hired for a supervisor job, then not made supervisor due to unstable management
Brutal
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 19, 2014
I was originally very excited to change careers from lab work to a more people oriented position. This was brutal. Every day you were told you needed to do better, regardless of your "numbers" that week. 7 years working here and I'm only getting $11.50 hr
Pros
close relationships with the people around me and willingness of my supervisor to help when needed.
Cons
lack of manpower which lead to lack of personal growth within the company. overworked, upper management is so out of touch as to what the job takes to do, doesn't give enough power to unit leaders to run things.
Do you like longevity, organic culture and MINIMAL stress at work?
Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Torrance,CAMay 14, 2014
Love this place is exactly what it says it is on there PR videos.This organization is exactly what most people want, you come into work, do your work with integrity and go home and worry about NOTHING. Theirs no political unrest or corporate assassins lurking around. People are genuinely happy to be here and the company has allot of extra curricular activities if you choose to participate.
Pros
family work balance is great, organic culture, you actual might like your boss.
Cons
promotions and pay raises are far between.(but to be fair starting pay, benefits and bonuses, are excellent)
Worst Paying Company
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 5, 2014
Don't apply for lab technician position at this company! Stay away, no advancement in pay scale. You worked so hard for them and being exposed to deadly chemicals on a daily basic.
Cons
chemicals that cause cancer, respiratory failure, heart disease, kidney failure, birth defects, and etc.
Technical Sales Consultant
Technical Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 1, 2014
Great first job, love the co-workers and loved working for my manager. Job growth leaves much to be desired though.
productive fun workplace
Data entry (Current Employee) –  Torrance,CAMarch 19, 2014
learned to grow in the corparate field. hard part is repetive work and the most enjoyable is company off site meetings.
Pros
stability
Cons
short lunch
Pleasant work environment
Data Systems Analyst/Material Planner (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 11, 2013
Great boss and co-workers. A few bad bosses but made up by good mid-level managers and co-workers. Work was tough and hard but it didn't over whelmed you. If someone balanced their schedule, there was nothing to worry about. Events were nice to attend.

Food trucks were the worst part of working there. They tried different vendors, but all were over priced and miserable. Better to bring a lunch or go out.

Co-workers was so honest, it was unbelievable. You can leave money on your desk and they will not take it. Many co-workers were very friendly and willing to help you in a bad situation. They went out of the way to make an employee free welcome and part of the team.

Because the company is small, it was hard to advance. Pay was mediocre. But they would it was secure and they tried to make things comfortable for you.
Pros
friendly workplace and co-workers.
Cons
tough to advance.
good place to work
QA Inspector (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAApril 30, 2013
all of the employee were very nice people.and I enjoy working there.
I learn alot from your company.
Pros
n/a
Cons
didn't work longer enough
The best of the best
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 11, 2012
Phenomenex in such a magnificent company, filled with lots of positive and helpful individuals. By far the best place i have ever worked at.
Pros
fun rewards to look forward to, round year.