Philabundance Employee Reviews

Hunger Fighters
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 19, 2014
We are a company that strives to alleviate Hunger in our communities, working with Feeding America and other organizations to accomplish this goal. Daily, I process reports of donations to over 100 agencies from over 100 grocery stores in the PA, NJ areas. Each year we manage to secure over 8,000,000 pounds of food from various donors and companies who hold food drives and other resources. My co-workers all have kind compassionate hearts and we work as a team to achieve our goals to stamp out HUNGER. Philabundance is 30 years old this year and we have made it our mission to break the cycle of HUNGER. For fun, we have a Holiday party in January after our busy Holiday season and in August we have a company BBQ. We are currently looking for ways to improve our lifestyles with several healthy initiatives. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that at the end of the day, we have helped to feed over 75,000 people.
Pros
transportation benefits, excellent healthcare/dental package
Cons
half hour lunches, not enough room for growth/promotion
Enjoyable work environment constantly meeting new people
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2013
To start a typical day at work I would unload and organize crates full of nutritious food. Then I would hand out the food to the less fortunate making sure that they didn't take more than the food item limit. After everyone in line got their food I would help put everything away and clean up the area back to how we found it. I learned a lot from this experience but mainly it opened up my eyes to how difficult some of the lives are of the less fortunate and that I could help contribute in making their lives a little easier. Management was very helpful and easygoing throughout the process. Co-workers were a very diverse group but everyone got along well and made the experience more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was maintaining order in what could become a chaotic scene with huge lines and people wanting to take more than the food item limit. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how appreciative everyone was for our service.
Pros
working outside, constantly meeting new people, and helping out for a good cause
Cons
food supply wasn't always on time, not the safest area to work
Fun oppurtinity to serv people who need all goods
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 22, 2014
We had morning meeting and signed in , set up tables, get into positive attitude, we fashioned the food products. we had prayer before serving the people in line, and we had a lot of experience with how to bag the food being distributed.

I learned to be more confident about volunteering, sharing my strengths and weaknesses, and getting along with unique personalities within a whole month.

My coworkers where like a team very helpful, very good with time, good with interaction, had good personalities, made everyone feel apart of the team.

The hardest part of the day was missing time for class and for homework for online assignments that needed to be turned in during that time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the breaks we got to snack off of the food that was not being served.
Pros
free snacks, and resting break
Cons
money was not being made
Very productive and friendly safe environment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 26, 2012
A typical work day for me is come to work on time. I've learned how to pace myself through timely tasks. I liked management, they was very helpful if I had any questions about my assignment. My co-workers were also helpful if I needed any help,we had team work and that is what got me through the work day. The enjoyable part of the job was knowing where the food was going to,and wishing I could help the people in other ways. The hardest part about my job was leaving.
Pros
team work and excellent co-workers and supervisors
Cons
it was a temporary position
catering
Night Food Prep (Former Employee) –  philadelphia.paDecember 31, 2014
A typical day was came in making sure thing was set up for staff and inmates. I learned how to deal with others in different situation. The management was understanding when it came down to a problem. You can get along with them, they knew how to work as a team. The hardest thing was making meals for over 1,000 inmates everyday. Put a smile on somebody face with kind words.
Pros
learning different things
Cons
making larger quantity of meals
assembly lines
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  philadelphiaJune 11, 2013
hard work is required because you have lift things. even our wealthy country there are people who struggle with hunger and i don't think it's fair. random people who share the same views on our country. students in my school. the hardest was the lifting. the most enjoyable part was knowing i was doing that a greater and more positive outcome.
Pros
helping the less fortunate
Cons
short breaks
my job
HR Operations Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2014
Administer student loan, medical insurance, savings bond, and disability programs by advising employees of eligibility; providing application information; helping with form completion; verifying submission; notifying employee admissions.Orient new employees by providing new hire information packets; reviewing company policies; gathering withholding and other payroll information; explaining and obtaining signatures for benefit programs.
Pros
non profit feeding the hungry
Cons
salary
Breakdown in communication
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 10, 2015
It was very difficult for anyone in upper management to hear the concerns of the hourly employees even when you requested an appointment with them they would not see you. The chain of command ended with your immediate supervisor.
Pros
great days off and also honored snow days
Cons
lack of communication / horrible morale
Organizer, Multi-tasked, like to try new things
Senior Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 5, 2015
I like to prepare myself for the next day work, I have learn a lot thru the years with Philabundance. Management and Co-worker are pleasant to work with, the hardest part was getting laid off, working with people.
Great learning opportunity
Internship (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2012
The administrative team at Philabundance Community Kitchen has been expanding my real world knowledge in social services since day one. I have gained a great deal of information that I am eager to take onto my career path.
Pros
free lunches
Great place to work with fun people.
cook (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 21, 2015
I loved the fact that I started as a dishwasher and was promoted to a cook within 3 months. I enjoyed the people that I worked with. I loved being a cook there.
Philab
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 10, 2013
Great place to work overall. The people are nice and the culture is great. Its hard work for a good cause

4.3