Philadelphia Gas Works Employee Reviews

very friendly admosphere
Pressure Mechanic (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 14, 2015
Pros: the best co. I ever worked for.
Cons: none
friendly co-workers very friendly managers, no weekend work very nice salary increments, all the way up to foreman, a very nice credit union that will let you borrow up to 5000 dollars no question asked and so much more I will over my limit on space here.
Office environment ostensibly in line with proto-typical standard.
Customer service Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Excellent health care, pension and overtime opportunities.
Cons: Limited opportunities for advancement.
The shifts commence with sometimes hundreds of calls on hold from customers with typically three issues: billing, service and safety. The job teaches a successful representative to multitask, contemperaneously troubleshoot and problem solve. Managers are available for assistance, but it is primarily a job in which one is isolated from other representatives. The two difficult aspects are the seemingly endless callers and the lack of variety in matters requiring our attention, This is however offset by the camaraderie of like minded people and the ability to make a difference to our customer base.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 30, 2015
The job entailed welcoming customers and assisting in all facets of gas services such as new turn on, shut off service, billing, programs available. Learned to deal with all types of people from all walks of life.
Productive always something to do.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: great benfits
Cons: hard to move up
I started as a distribution worker digging holes and piping in new gas lines for residential and commercial properties for the city of Philadelphia,
Then found the opportunity to move up and went to work as a field service technician where i learned how to install gas meters repair gas lines inside customers house, and repair appliances (example, repair house heater, water heater and central air conditioner) replacing gas meters and responding to emergencies.
i found for the most part all of the employees where always available to assist you when needed and management was always on top of you with all of your needs.
Never had a hard time for job, for the most part was very easy.
My most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the customer face when you completed the job and the result was always outstanding and always got complemented for my work and time of my needs.
You can take care of your responsibilities and family.
Office Supervisor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2014
Pros: training, tuition assistance program
Cons: trust no one, just do your job, be friendly and honest at all times... good luck!
Typical day, you can learn a lot, must be aggressive, help others, be an independent thinker, don't take things personal, network and join committees and be enterprised focused to contribute to company vision and mission goals. Don't join clicks, Be a good person with a great personality. Good luck!
PGW was a good place to work at.
Field Tech/Meter reader (Former Employee), Philadelphia PAOctober 15, 2014
Working for Philadelphia Gas Works was good. I leaned a lot from working there.
LiHeap Rep
Liheap Rep (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 14, 2014
Good hours and good workplace. Pay was fair for the amount of work that had to be done.
Fast paced environment for maintaining good service.
Engineering Intern (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 13, 2014
Pros: free food, done at 2pm, trust from my managers/freedom with downtime. when there was overtime, the hours were long and and the pay was very good.
Cons: 6am-2pm was the only shift, and it was difficult to balance with a full-time college schedule
I worked for DJ Casmirri initially in their cafeteria doing all related tasks from food prep to customer service. Eventually I would help with their catering service to help present with corporate events. I learned a lot about quick thinking management as I would have to often come up with a solution fast for problems that were proposed by clients. The hardest part was definitely how fast I would have to expedite some of the orders while maintaining their quality in a timely manner, but my coworkers and I would work efficiently as a team. Normally in such a company, I wouldn't see job security/advancement as a prospect, but near the end of my tenure, I was offered a chance as a high manager of the company with a large pay increase to essentially run part of the business on my own. I declined the position because I was offered an oppurtunity for the internship with Philadelphia Gas Works which I thought would better dignify my degree.
Good Place to Work
Pressure Control Operator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 14, 2014
Company provides good benefits and work life balance. Room for advancement
productive days
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 12, 2014
Pros: you knew your hours
Cons: not alot of overtime
I answered the telephone. set up service, canceled service, set up payment arrangements, gave phone numbers to our other offices. I learned to multi-task, we used different computer programs.
Forman/Distribution Inspector (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 22, 2014
All hands on work both inside and outside, in all weather conditions.
Learned how to use a shovel, jack hammer and other mechanical tools, learned to work well with and communicate with co-workers and customers.
good place
o Staffing Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 16, 2014
good place to grow and develope experience in that field. i love this place a lot
Professional work environment
Training Supervisor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: benefits, salary, retirement
Training Employees on;
Customer Relations-Natural Gas Origins and Chemical Composition-Mercury procedures-Carbon Monoxide Hazards-Upper and Lower Explosive Limits-Basic Electricity-HVAC-CPR-Smith Driving- Multi-meter usage-Wiring and Wiring Diagrams-Gas Detection Instruments-High, Medium and Low Pressures-Leak locating- Leak Corrective Measures-Meter installations-Meter Reading-Troubleshooting and Diagnostics-Computer Job Completion Programs-Operator Qualifications-Appliance Repair- Turn On Order Procedure- Turn Off Order Procedure-Combustion Processes-Hot Surface Ignition –Spark Ignition- Standing Pilot-Pipe Sizing-Pipe Threading-Pipe Cutting- Soldering-Heater Categories- International Fuel Gas Code-Thermodynamics-Right to Know Training-MSDS-Safety- Tool Committee- HVAC controls- Low Voltage-Line Voltage- Milli-Voltage- Hot air Heaters-Water Heaters-Hot Water Boilers-Steam Boilers-Ordering parts and maintaining an inventory-Maintaining clean classroom environments conducive to the learning process. I utilized hands on approach in instruction.
Great job to turn into career
Field Service Technician (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits, job advancement
Cons: some customer's basement were very dirty
No typical day at the gas company, as every day was different. Mainly jump into the Van, login on the computer and dispatch would send you jobs. Go to the location and complete the order, and at the end of day you send request to dispatch if accepted you go back to the shop log off and clock out. I learned about about how gas works, and all gas appliances. Management was ok, only a select few help out. Co-workers are the best I been with, a great group of people willing to teach and help you in need. Hardest part was having to shut the gas off due to hazard during Winter time. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customer with their problems.
Employees were really appreciated until outside Pharmaceutical Company took over
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 26, 2013
Pros: love working in the medical field
Cons: outside pharmaceutical did not consider sb employees
Worked for 2 Clinical Trial Physicians and enjoyed coming to work every day,Planned Investigator Meetings for various outside Clinical Trial Physicians,Assisted with their travel/hotel arrangements,Researched hotels in the Philadelphia Area that were comparable to SmithKline's standards.Was a Tour Guide for our Manufacturing facility to future Medical Students.PhysiciansAttended and planned private meetings for the CEO
Nice
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 16, 2013
Nice Nice, i like it, nice. I liked working here . it was great
Great company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: short breaks, low pay
A typical day is entailed with customer interaction accompanied by the tools to help people, enriching lives and learning about cultures and diversity.
PGW
Pressure Control Mechanic (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: technical training and development
Cons: winter hours are long
Company provides oppurtunity for growth and skill development
Excellent company to work for
IT Department (Consultant) (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 30, 2013
Pros: great mgmt team
Cons: you have to live in philly to be an employee with this company.
Super company. Handled technical writing projects, gained business analysis and project management experience.
challenging job
Heavy Equipment Operator / Sr. Mechanic (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 9, 2013
Pros: variety of work
Cons: sometimes dirty work
using various tools and equipment to get a job done. We work 80 ft. in the air to going underground. We work in all kinds of weather all year round.