Philadelphia Gas Works Employee Reviews

Cut throat management
Feild Technician (Former Employee) –  PassyunkDecember 18, 2017
You are ok there in the beginning but they want you to always admit you are wrong
no matter what they will make up stories about you and try to black ball you
Cons
It was stressful to work there.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2017
Unprofessional atmosphere. It was very difficult to develop good working relationships within due to the unprofessionalism. Training process not good.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Constant back biting
Fast paced
Customer Affairs Utility Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2017
It was a stressful job with a lot to learn, but overall a good career opportunity. There is roam for advancement, but the first year is very high stress.
Laid back, slow pace
Project Manager Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2017
Laid-back environment, slow-paced. I had a few meetings to attend as an intern and helped manage projects. I managed a few projects on my own which allowed me to learn a great deal with regards to project management. Management is average and so is culture. Most difficult part of job is having enough work to do. Most enjoyable part of the job is managing a project and guiding key resources to keep it on track.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor compensation
It was a nice intership
Information Security Consultant Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 2, 2017
I only interned at the company, which is why my review should be taken lightly. The staff was very friendly and inviting to questions. The location of the company was about 2 blocks from the train station. Building housed it's own cafeteria with nice food. House looked very nice.
The best company to work for for the long term.
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 17, 2017
I worked over 31 years at PGW. I never once faced a lay off nor any type of job cut. As the years went by I accumulated many highly sought after benefits. I eventually retired with a defined benefits pension including outstanding health insurance benefits. It was a great experience working at PGW.
Pros
Steady work, no layoffs, great benefits, all local work.
Great working environment
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 13, 2017
I've been working for the Philadelphia Gas Works for over 24 years. I've benefited greatly from the training I have received over the years to be able to advance into many areas.
Job security with fast advancement
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 29, 2017
Philadelphia Gas works is a great place for employment. Offers a number of perks such as Job security with fast advancement And opportunities to grow with the company.
Pros
Hands on training
Cons
Micro management
great place to work
Field Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 27, 2017
good option for college students, easy work schedule, union benefits, easy work load, working with customers one on one, decent pay for work, good job
Loved my job.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 19, 2017
Loved my job here but a lot of mismanagement, hired a lot of students from college that had no clue about gas. I have learned alot on and off the field, enjoyed working with fellow employees.
Pros
Great job.
Cons
mismanagement
Productive and Beneficial
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 17, 2016
I learned how to supply natural gas to homes. My typical day was dangerous but I got the job done in a nice time frame. My managers supported me when help was needed.
Productive Workplace with lots of different opportunities
Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 6, 2016
I would come in to work everyday and either continue working on a project I was already given or I would go ask the different people in the department if they needed me to do anything. My favorite part of the job was working on capital projects for the company in a project management role. My least favorite part was waiting for a new project to do,
Philadelphia Gas Works
Director of Call Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 12, 2016
Working at the Philadelphia Gas Works for a number of years I saw the transformation of organization to a family environment to one where the organization did not care about their employees only how much of a bonus they were getting.
Pros
Ping pong and pool table, employees who were like family
Cons
upper management creating silos, not working together, lack of communication
Great Work Environment
Manager of Facilities Planning (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 5, 2016
PGW has a great work environment. They are also willing to teach their employees, if you are teachable, you will do well.
Pros
concerned with health, physically, socially and mentally
Productive workplace, new experiences
Intern/ Information technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 26, 2016
I was an intern while i was in highschool, i enjoyed the people the daily tasks and the challenges offered to me. the hardest part of the job was leaving once my internship ended saying goodbye to all
fun place. high learning about job task
Compressor Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2015
renewing and or replacing gas services to customers homes. learning something new everyday. likable co-workers. coming home dirty everyday sucks but the weekly pay makes up for that.
Pros
being in a different parts of the city
Cons
Office environment ostensibly in line with proto-typical standard.
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 27, 2015
The shifts commence with sometimes hundreds of calls on hold from customers with typically three issues: billing, service and safety. The job teaches a successful representative to multitask, contemperaneously troubleshoot and problem solve. Managers are available for assistance, but it is primarily a job in which one is isolated from other representatives. The two difficult aspects are the seemingly endless callers and the lack of variety in matters requiring our attention, This is however offset by the camaraderie of like minded people and the ability to make a difference to our customer base.
Pros
Excellent health care, pension and overtime opportunities.
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 30, 2015
The job entailed welcoming customers and assisting in all facets of gas services such as new turn on, shut off service, billing, programs available. Learned to deal with all types of people from all walks of life.
Productive always something to do.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 11, 2015
I started as a distribution worker digging holes and piping in new gas lines for residential and commercial properties for the city of Philadelphia,
Then found the opportunity to move up and went to work as a field service technician where i learned how to install gas meters repair gas lines inside customers house, and repair appliances (example, repair house heater, water heater and central air conditioner) replacing gas meters and responding to emergencies.
i found for the most part all of the employees where always available to assist you when needed and management was always on top of you with all of your needs.
Never had a hard time for job, for the most part was very easy.
My most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the customer face when you completed the job and the result was always outstanding and always got complemented for my work and time of my needs.
Pros
Great Benfits
Cons
hard to move up
You can take care of your responsibilities and family.
Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2014
Typical day, you can learn a lot, must be aggressive, help others, be an independent thinker, don't take things personal, network and join committees and be enterprised focused to contribute to company vision and mission goals. Don't join clicks, Be a good person with a great personality. Good luck!
Pros
Training, Tuition Assistance Program
Cons
Trust No One, Just Do Your Job, Be Friendly and Honest at all times... Good luck!