Philadelphia Zoo

Philadelphia Zoo Employee Reviews

Veterinarian's Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 16, 2015
The staff was always helpful. It was exciting to actually meet different people from various backgrounds. overall it was a plus
internship was great
Internship (Former Employee), philidelphiaMay 1, 2015
I learned a lot about the zoo and how it works. Working in the education program was fun and I got to meet and work with a lot of great people
Great environment, coworkers, and experience!
Intern (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: experience, hands-on animal experience, great work environment and coworkers, discounts
Cons: pay, competitive environment
It's really hard not to love your job when you work at a zoo because of the passion and drive of animal lovers. I have held multiple positions including educator, camp counselor, volunteer. and intern. I love the zoo environment and would recommend the Philly Zoo to anyone that is looking for jobs.
Despite the obvious benefits of working at a zoo, there are disadvantages that come with working in any zoo. The pay is not great, it is VERY competitive and only hire internally, and there is little movement up or down the ranks.
In my opinion, It takes a special kind of person to work at the zoo and your passion and love will vastly outweigh any costs. So if you have the dedication and willingness to work from the bottom do not hesitate to apply.
Fun workplace run by disorganized people
Guest Relations Representative (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: zoo membership, discount to affiliate establishments (museums, etc)
Cons: short breaks, lack of job security, terrible management, blatant favoritism
A typical day at work consisted of greeting guests in a professional, courteous and enthusiastic manner, solving concerns, as well as assisting visitors in the understanding of ticket options, explaining not only general admission, but other opportunities throughout the Zoo, including attraction tickets, memberships, city passes, and other sales promotions. Through this job I learned excellent customer service skills, problem solving abilities, techniques for effective communication, and how to work under pressure. The most enjoyable part of working at the Zoo was the fact that I had the opportunity to meet so many diverse people. The only bad thing was the fact that management was unorganized, unfair, and showed blatant favoritism.
good experience
Guest Relations Worker (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2014
Sold products to family and friends. Gave sales presentations from home to home high travel.
Awesome and Fun
Overnight Captain and Educator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: odd hours
Wonderful place to work if you love animals and kids. It's a fast paced work environment.
The worst job I've ever had
housekeeping (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 28, 2014
Pros: animals, quitting
Cons: no life outside of work, horrible hours, horrible management, low pay
I went expecting it to be cool and fun because you know THE ZOO. But no. It was without a doubt my worst work experience. Some of the people were cool but overall a lot of the people have bad attitudes. Worst of all being the management who walk around like they're some kind of second coming. Oh you had things to do outside of work? Yeah no your life is now the zoo so get comfortable. Your scheduling is at the mercy of the management and 9 times out of 10 they'll give you an awful schedule and you won't know anything about because they don't even consult you when making drastic changes to it. They assume you worship the zoo. Don't expect a whole lot of advancement or raises either. Plus the pay for what I had to do was not at all acceptable. The only good thing was seeing the animals and even that lost it's magic after a short time. And some of my coworkers were cool. Other than that it was torture every day.
The Philadelphia Zoo
Director of Operations/Attractions (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: campus, communication with public, location
Cons: no room for advancement, salary, senior leadership
The Philadelphia Zoo can be a good place to work and grow for someone starting a professional career. as a operations manager, you are expected to work most weekends from 8 to 10 hours a day. most weekend days are extremely busy, which force you to make quick decisions for the betterment of the zoo. You definitely need strong management to get all jobs done. The hardest part of the job is handling large of amount of traffic, with limited resources. The most enjoyable part of working at the zoo is the ability to work outside for most of the day.
Unorganized
Internship - Field Research and Assisting (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 19, 2014
They did not know that I was coming and seemed very unorganized. However, they did show me the true extent of how to maintain a zoo and deliver enrichment to the animals inhabiting the zoo.
Great place
Volunteer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2014
there is such an emphasis on learning, education and awareness that makes this zoo invaluable to our children
Intering at the Philadelphia Zoo
EABBI College Intern (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 17, 2014
I loved every moment interning Zoo. Even though standing outside on cold days was a bummer, seeing children and their parents learn how to protect animals and their environment was worth it.
love the zoo
Supervisor of Cashier, Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 8, 2014
I loved going to this zoo as a kid, and I still go to this day. They have so many different animals and different attractions that the entire family can do. Between the wild peacocks walking freely around the zoo, there are hot air balloon rides, a thorough gift shop, virtual safari tours, and many many more exhibits. I recommend going on a sunny warm day, that way you and the family can see everything! Enjoy
Greet place to enjoy yourself
Parking/Attractions attendant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 5, 2013
Pros: greet co-workers, face-to-face interaction
Cons: seasonal
Everyday was interesting... Always seen some of the same satisfied customers...Customer needs were always put first
Fun work place
Cashier/Guest Relations Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 28, 2013
Pros: the people i work with, the different animals i see, the atmosphere.
Cons: no benefits, seasonal job, no room for growth, lousy pay.
I love where i work the atmosphere and the people that come into my job. I get to see different animals everyday and different types of people from cultures and races. I don't like that there is no room for advancement. The pay could be better. I think its time for me to go somewhere where I can grow.
Fun, up beat, excellent staff, good supervisors
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 26, 2013
typical day includes, sanitizing restrooms replinish toiletries, clean animal exhibits, some groundskeeping, clean offices, vacuumed carpeting. Management was helpful and caring. The hardest part of the job was walking all day. Enjoyable part was looking at the animals.
Zoo
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 5, 2013
Its a great place to work, just not enough hours. I would like it more if it wasn't a seasonal job
A very busy and, fun place to work.
Public Safety Officer (Full-Time) (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 3, 2013
Performed various duties from crowed control to First-Aid. Gained valuable customer service skills. Management was strict but well organized. co-workers were friendly and just as helpful to me as they were to visitors. The job involved plenty of responsibilities and, being directed via radio sometimes pretty often. That proved to be the most challenging part.The best part is that it didn't always feel as if I were working, but instead a visitor.
Scenic and unusual experience
Animal Attendant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 19, 2013
Camels, draft and miniature horses were used to give rides to visitors of the Philadelphia Zoo. A typical day would involve cleaning out the animal stalls and feeding. During the afternoon it would be required to handle ticketing for the attraction and leading the animals during rides.
Great job
Admissions Supervisor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 14, 2013
Pros: fun place to work at
Cons: traveling long distance in a given notice
I loved this job. I started off as a cashier and moved up to a Supervisor within a month. A typical day of work was me walking around the different animal attractions to make sure that the cashier working the booths were ok. I was in charge of a group of people but most of them were elderly. I learned what it took to be in a leadership position. The management was great. They really helped shape me into the best possible leader. My co-workers were great. We all got along great. The hardest part of my job was traveling from far to one location to another location. The most enjoyable part was being in charge of a great group of people.
Loved the area of work an my management team.
Cashier (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 26, 2013
Pros: helping others
Cons: my position was seasonal would of like it to be a permanent postion
My Day At Work Was Pleasant And Wonderful and fun.
I Learned How To Get Along With Different People.
I loved my management team an the constructive criticism.
MY Co Workers Were Very Nice To Me And Help Me Out A Lot.

Philadelphia Zoo Salaries