Philadelphia Zoo Employee Reviews

fun/energetic place of work
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 18, 2016
I enjoyed working with the children and being able to provide a sort of protection and enjoyment to the activities they were doing.
Pros
playing with children
Cons
not enough help at the time
great eviornment especailly seeing all of the animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 9, 2016
enjoyed co workers, customers were polite, the atmosphere was amazing the food was good discounts were good and management was good, work day always went by fast
Productive and fun workforce, we laughed a lot, very productive
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 24, 2015
A typical day at work was just admitting guest into park, and answering question, as well as operating rides. Everyone in this company is very productive at the same time can laugh and joke. I learned at this job how to interact with a diverse population. My management was the best, the pushed me to be the best worker possible, and we built a relationship that we still have to this day. The hardest part of the job was working out in the cold, which I liked doing because I worked with girls and they could not be out in the cold for a long time so I was a valuable asset to the team. The most enjoyable part of the job was everyday I got to put a smile on a little kids face, and see that I was making a difference in someones day and could make their experience better than ever.
Pros
I enjoyed working with people my age, we had amazing days at work
Cons
short breaks
Fun fun fun 42 acres of fun !!!!!
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 26, 2015
I loved the zoo, best job everrr...despite being seasonal and laid of yearly, I still love the zoo!!! No brainier; apply, interviewed and have fun....I never felt like I was working when assigned a shift!!! Animals, people, reptiles I love Philadelphia Zoo, I wanna come back :)
Pros
Everything literally, staff, guest, kids, animals, HR, Security, gate H love it all
Customer Service Attendant
Customer Service/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 21, 2015
Team oriented environment, very good team member/supervisor relationships. Managers and supervisor were very supportive to individual employees juggling family and work life. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with the public, and the positive work environment.
Pros
timely breaks, good work environment
Cons
short hours during off peak times
Zoo Internship
Event Intern (Former Employee) –  philadelphiaAugust 30, 2015
Great place to learn and grow. Learned a lot in the short time being employed. The staff is all great and always willing to help.
Very Productive and Fun Loving Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2015
The Zoo is a fun place to work at especially when it comes to entertaining the kids and making everyone's trip to the Zoo memorable. A typical day at work consist of handling the register, restocking the store, and greeting and assisting the customers. Management is good although it does not provide much opportunity for advancement. My coworkers are okay. Staff is normally 50/50, you have the hard workers and the lazy people. The hardest part of the job can be running the store when you do not have a good team behind you. That can be frustrating because then it can feel like you're doing all the work alone. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you did a good job and seeing the smiles on many of the children's faces are priceless
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks, working outside
was ok
Central Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 12, 2015
Working at the Philadelphia zoo was just ok. I new everything about my position but it was seasonal. When a full time position came along they rather hired someone older and made me trained that person. I made friends but they was not right .
excellent work experience
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2015
you will have a good time also gain a strong bond with your employees, a wonder place to interact with the guest. you have something new and exciting to do every day you walk into work.
Veterinarian's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 16, 2015
The staff was always helpful. It was exciting to actually meet different people from various backgrounds. overall it was a plus
internship was great
Internship (Former Employee) –  philidelphiaMay 1, 2015
I learned a lot about the zoo and how it works. Working in the education program was fun and I got to meet and work with a lot of great people
Great environment, coworkers, and experience!
Intern (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2015
It's really hard not to love your job when you work at a zoo because of the passion and drive of animal lovers. I have held multiple positions including educator, camp counselor, volunteer. and intern. I love the zoo environment and would recommend the Philly Zoo to anyone that is looking for jobs.
Despite the obvious benefits of working at a zoo, there are disadvantages that come with working in any zoo. The pay is not great, it is VERY competitive and only hire internally, and there is little movement up or down the ranks.
In my opinion, It takes a special kind of person to work at the zoo and your passion and love will vastly outweigh any costs. So if you have the dedication and willingness to work from the bottom do not hesitate to apply.
Pros
experience, hands-on animal experience, great work environment and coworkers, discounts
Cons
pay, competitive environment
Fun workplace run by disorganized people
Guest Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of greeting guests in a professional, courteous and enthusiastic manner, solving concerns, as well as assisting visitors in the understanding of ticket options, explaining not only general admission, but other opportunities throughout the Zoo, including attraction tickets, memberships, city passes, and other sales promotions. Through this job I learned excellent customer service skills, problem solving abilities, techniques for effective communication, and how to work under pressure. The most enjoyable part of working at the Zoo was the fact that I had the opportunity to meet so many diverse people. The only bad thing was the fact that management was unorganized, unfair, and showed blatant favoritism.
Pros
zoo membership, discount to affiliate establishments (museums, etc)
Cons
short breaks, lack of job security, terrible management, blatant favoritism
good experience
Guest Relations Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2014
Sold products to family and friends. Gave sales presentations from home to home high travel.
Awesome and Fun
Overnight Captain and Educator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 24, 2014
Wonderful place to work if you love animals and kids. It's a fast paced work environment.
Pros
fun
Cons
odd hours
The worst job I've ever had
housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 28, 2014
I went expecting it to be cool and fun because you know THE ZOO. But no. It was without a doubt my worst work experience. Some of the people were cool but overall a lot of the people have bad attitudes. Worst of all being the management who walk around like they're some kind of second coming. Oh you had things to do outside of work? Yeah no your life is now the zoo so get comfortable. Your scheduling is at the mercy of the management and 9 times out of 10 they'll give you an awful schedule and you won't know anything about because they don't even consult you when making drastic changes to it. They assume you worship the zoo. Don't expect a whole lot of advancement or raises either. Plus the pay for what I had to do was not at all acceptable. The only good thing was seeing the animals and even that lost it's magic after a short time. And some of my coworkers were cool. Other than that it was torture every day.
Pros
animals, quitting
Cons
no life outside of work, horrible hours, horrible management, low pay
The Philadelphia Zoo
Director of Operations/Attractions (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 23, 2014
The Philadelphia Zoo can be a good place to work and grow for someone starting a professional career. as a operations manager, you are expected to work most weekends from 8 to 10 hours a day. most weekend days are extremely busy, which force you to make quick decisions for the betterment of the zoo. You definitely need strong management to get all jobs done. The hardest part of the job is handling large of amount of traffic, with limited resources. The most enjoyable part of working at the zoo is the ability to work outside for most of the day.
Pros
campus, communication with public, location
Cons
no room for advancement, salary, senior leadership
Unorganized
Internship - Field Research and Assisting (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 19, 2014
They did not know that I was coming and seemed very unorganized. However, they did show me the true extent of how to maintain a zoo and deliver enrichment to the animals inhabiting the zoo.
Great place
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2014
there is such an emphasis on learning, education and awareness that makes this zoo invaluable to our children
Intering at the Philadelphia Zoo
EABBI College Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 17, 2014
I loved every moment interning Zoo. Even though standing outside on cold days was a bummer, seeing children and their parents learn how to protect animals and their environment was worth it.