Philhaven Employee Reviews in United States

Client focused with some support of employees
Clinical Case Manager/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 10, 2016
Working as a clinical case manager/counselor has its good days and its not so good days. There are rewards that come with helping others with mental health issues and there is room to see growth as an individual when helping others. There are so/so benefits and the ability to accrue PTO as an hourly employee is paultry and there is no back up if census is low and hourly employees have to leave early and it is either don't get paid for the lost time or use up PTO. Senior staff could do a better job of supporting employees and help to see change go through. Fair/Good company and place to work for and flexible work schedule at times. There aren't many opportunities for lower level employees to participate in non-mandatory trainings, usually due to budget constraints.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Lack of sufficient employee support from senior staff
Rewarding bad management
Psychiatric Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Gretna, PAFebruary 12, 2016
The work was rewarding which outweighed the low pay rate, however there was very poor support from management on inpatient units.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Terrible insurance and management
fun environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Mount Gretna, PADecember 7, 2015
Cleaning patient rooms and bathrooms could be challenging at times, but it was also very rewarding. I had a great staff to work with and patients for the most part, were easy to get along with. I feel management could have been better as far as communicatiing and training.
Rewarding Job, but lack of support
Therapeutic Associate (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 31, 2015
Enjoyed working with my team, very supportive and encouraging. Struggled to find support from management, clear quick communication, and unrealistic expectations that produced a high level of stress. Easy to get burnt out. Large caseload and paperwork demands that make it difficult to give quality customer service. There are a lot of constant changes occurring within the company that make the work environment unstable. The best part is working with the clientele and supporting the families through their journey. I was able to use my skills and build upon them.
Pros
working with families and children, connecting with other community supports, opportunities to advance and pursue higher level of education, great opportunity for personal and professional growth
Cons
healthcare, support from administration, unrealistic expectation, quick burn out and turn over
Good Company but...
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Mount Gretna, PAOctober 19, 2015
I worked as a TSS for Philhaven. I loved my job and my fellow employees. There were also good managers and support staff but the hours were too inconsistent and the pay was too low. Weekly meeting were also a pain to attend, especially in the winter.
Pros
Good People, Interesting Work, Good Training
Cons
Inconsistency, Low Pay, Weekly Meetings
Internship with pay in experience and fulfillment rather than monetarily
Intern (Former Employee) –  Mt. Gretna, PAJuly 28, 2015
I was able to work with many different types of children from various races and socioeconomic statuses as well as with different diagnoses. I was able to learn much under the guidance of my manager and supervisor as well as fellow interns and staff members.
Fulfilling work but low wages
Therapeutic Staff Support (Current Employee) –  LancasterJune 10, 2015
This Job consists of implementing goals to change the lives of those who struggle with behavioral health issues. The job has given me experience working in a range of environments but mostly schools and I have developed my written and verbal communication skills through detailed notes of significant events. Communication between employees and management is there however the system could use some improvements. The most difficult part of this job is maintaining a positive attitude with the knowledge of little advancement opportunities and low wages. However, satisfaction does come when you here someone tell you that they have noticed a change in a person after you have implemented behaviorally altering techniques and have improved the life of another person.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Low wages and hourly pay. Stressful
worked with behavioral children
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Mount Gretna, PAMarch 18, 2015
worked one on one with behavioral children. Worked in school, home and community to increase function of children who had difficulty behaving in a socially accepted way
Great for experience in the field but don't make a career here
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Mount Gretna, PAJanuary 2, 2015
While this place is based upon a vision, I personally do not see that at all. The management is inconsistent and plays favorites, they tell you one thing and then expect something totally different.
Pros
working with the psychiatrists and great food in the cafeteria
Cons
poor rate of pay for job and management
productive and active workplace
Mt/LBSC (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 29, 2014
I worked independent from other staff for most of my work week. I maintained consistent contact with providers
Pros
clients in close proximity
Cons
healthcare
Good for experience but no guarentee in hours
TSS (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 15, 2014
Good for experience but never guaranteed your hours. I like some of the people, but others aren't so great.
Mission driven company
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 19, 2014
Philhaven is a good company that has a strong mission and value system. I was given a lot of opportunities to learn and grow as a professional. The quality of staff was high and I felt as though the company leadership cares about its employees.
Pros
great work environment
benefits
Great introduction into the mental health and behavioral health field.
Therapeutic Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 12, 2014
A typical work day consists of traveling between 2-3 different child/adolescent clients' schools to provide behavioral support and direction according to each individual client's behavioral plan, followed by client visits at their homes as well some nights.

I have learned to work on the fly in different work environments (different schools, parents at home and in the office setting with licensed professionals in the field) to help better serve and rehabilitate the youth clients I work with. Patience and flexibility have been increased while working in this position to the point that it is a strong suit of mine.

Co-workers and management are for the most part very supportive, but I primarily worked with school staff outside of my company on a daily basis.

The hardest part of this job is definitely breaking bonds forged with clients for whatever the reason dubbed necessary, whether it be because of a client no longer needing services or being reassigned to another client more in need of my help.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the unusual job work environments that I would find myself in at times (participating in recess with clients for example) and building relationships with the clients I work with.
Pros
social job, independence
Cons
stressful at times, travel, inconsistent hours
Getting Stuck
Central Scheduler/Medical Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Mount Gretna, PAApril 17, 2014
Philhaven is a great place to start your career in the mental health field, however if you are looking to be promoted, make more money or have great benefits, this in not the place for you.
The best part of the job is working with the therapists, they are sometimes demanding, but they always mean well.
The worst part of the job is that I do more than I get paid to do and have since day 2.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no breaks
Professional workplace focused on structured therapies in a safe and therapeutic miliue
After School Program Counselor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 28, 2014
Services provided in this program are in accordance with an individualized treatment plan developed by an interagency team; comprised of the client, family, and actively involved MH/MR, behavioral health providers, agencies, and school personnel.

Treatment plans address the individual needs of each youth, as well relevant family treatment issues. Treatment progress is reviewed at least every other week by the treatment team, and at least once per month by the clinical director and coordinator. Medical records are updated by the staffing counselors who provide feedback for evaluations and finalizing coordination packets.
The treatment plan, evaluation that prescribes treatment in the program, as well as an assessment of progress, in completion of the goals outlined in the treatment plan are kept in the chart. Beginning with admission, the treatment team works with the interagency team to clarify strengths and needs to begin the process of aftercare planning.

Group activities are planned and run by the staffing team who facilitate child adolescents treatment goals including, positive social skills, coping skill strategies, and impulse control. Communication is a necessity and the use of deescalating interventions in direct association of Therapeutic Crisis Intervention TCI.
Excellent clinical experience
Therapist (Graduate Level Intern) (Current Employee) –  Mount Gretna, PANovember 25, 2013
Philhaven has an outstanding professional clinical team for the Adult Day Hospital in Mt. Gretna, PA.
Plan to stay busy!
Mobile Therapist/Behavioral Specialist Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mt. Gretna, PANovember 2, 2013
Typical day was going out to a client's home, school or community location to work with the client, his/her teacher, his/her family. I learned that there is a great need for services particularly in the under-privileged population. Management was supportive. My co-workers were exceptional; friendly, willing to help, and a great resource for me. Hardest part of the job was seeing the poverty, working with disinterested parents. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing kids succeed.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
christain base employer, great benenfits
Certified Peer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Gretna, PAJuly 29, 2013
I worked with individuals with a mental health diagnosis. I would travel to their home and work through their goals with them.
Pros
created my own work schedule
Cons
wear and tear on my car
Rewarding position
Primary Case Counselor (Current Employee) –  York, PAMarch 27, 2013
Overalll case management of 6 clients and aftercare planning
Pros
very rewarding
Cons
little benefits
Internship
Master's level Intern / Case Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 6, 2012
Very Flexible, willing to meet your required needs
Staff is friendly and helpful. They understand the learning curve. HR is willing to help find a position that fits your interests.
Pros
supervision on site

2.6