Philz Coffee Employee Reviews

happy place great customers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 25, 2017
Philz is understaffed, lots of hours, un organized; however, the people that work there are amazing. I would recommend this place as a first job for anyone.
Amazing Culture
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJuly 3, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Philz. I learned a lot about coffee and the importance of customer service. I was impressed with the Philz culture from the moment I first learned of them through my stay as a Philzter.
Pros
Cons
Young Management
Comfortable and dependable
Barista (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2017
Overall, I enjoyed my time at Philz. My coworkers are truly a family to me, the majority of people I worked with I now deeply love and care for. While the wage is better than a lot of coffee shops and general food service jobs in Los Angeles, I still found it to be too low to survive in this city. It frankly isn't a living wage in a city as expensive as Los Angeles, although they pat themselves on the back for being ahead of the state minimum. The company is developing quickly and that has taken precedence over making sure their employees are treated fairly and taken care of. The addition of food to their menu was handled sloppily and without concern for the added workload. Their baristas in the Los Angeles area have been begging for a wage increase for at least a year, which has gone unanswered. However, the benefits are great and there is room for advancement for all working at Philz.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Cons
Not a living wage, management complacency, corporate not listening to concerns of workers on the floor
Pour-over coffee shops with no consistency in commitment to company culture
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 7, 2017
I worked at various locations, and I can honestly say that your experience with the company varies greatly depending on which store you work at. Some stores are more regulatory, others are more open-minded. Some stores only like employees to do things their way, others like employees to follow the standard company practice. The culture hinders some managers from actually managing, since Philz is more about "leading" moreso than managing, and employees get away with a lot that they shouldn't. It is rare that anyone gets fired, even if they rarely show up, and it is common for people to quit and come back later. In the two stores that I worked at consistently I would say the hardest part and most enjoyable part of the jobs were different. At one store I truly enjoyed the customers, some of whom I still keep in contact with today, but I found it hard to work with a management team that would not reprimand anyone for blatant laziness and disobedience to the rules. At the other store I found it hard to work with the team because they were the exact opposite, very meticulous, and were easily frustrated by petty things, and I strongly disliked a majority of the customers. I did find doing inventory and background tasks somewhat enjoyable at this store though.
Pros
Free coffee, networking opportunities
Cons
Poor management, inconsistent company culture by store, poor employees don't get fired
good place to start.
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 17, 2017
philz as a company tries really hard to be transparent and values lots of voices to give feedback (i.e. customers, baristas, etc.). the workplace culture fostered everybody to be the best version of themselves, but after that it's not a forever thing for most employees.
Pros
meet great people
Cons
high demand
Productive with friendly customers
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 16, 2017
Mornings are very busy with rushes and for the most part the lead tries to accommodate the employees so the workers can work more efficiently. It is also good because you learn to work with people of different cultures. This job is good and it showcases your skills. The culture is very friendly and the motto is to better people's days which is exactly what it does. The hardest part of job is getting everyone's drink out quick when they are in a hurry. The most enjoyable part of the job is conversating with customers and coworkers.
Great people and product!
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 8, 2017
Working at philz, I'm lucky to say that I love my coworkers and our store management. It's an expanding company, so there's a lot of energy and excitement, as well as some awkward growing pains. Sometimes the home office can be removed from the baristas/stores, but they're working on it. It can get really busy sometimes and dealing with frustrated customers is always draining. There's rarely downtime and days can go by quickly when it's busy. Getting to know your customers is the best, and it can be rewarding being a part of the community!

They have a great training program for new baristas and team leads, and they've done a great job of maintaining the culture so far! Sometimes, it is hard to come to work when people call out or if you are short-staffed - it's all part of the industry, I suppose.
Start up coffee company
Head of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 17, 2017
Family owned coffee company with a mission of bettering peoples day and a vision of changing the coffee going experience. The company is values driven (customer experience, hiring amazing people; delivering quality products).
Pros
Culture ;team members; products; empowerment;
Cons
Inconsistency on delivering on internal team member promise.
fun work environment
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAApril 6, 2017
able to be yourself. Management is phenomenal. You'll enjoy working there every day. Customers are great and your coworkers are probably the best part of the job.
This place is all about the people
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2017
Philz hasthe best atmosphere of any coffee shop and its really fun working here. Unfortunately I can't say the pay is worth how much work you'll be doing. The employees and customers are really awesome and you'll want to be around just know whats going on. Management is great and are very helpful when it comes to just about anything. The schedules are pretty flexible. The one caveat would have to be that the work itself is a lot harder than it looks and the rushes can be very brutal.
Pros
Free coffee, Awesome vibes
Cons
Tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel
fun, fast pace,and caring work place
Customer service, sales, cashier, prepare beverage (Current Employee) –  Cupertino, CAFebruary 23, 2017
As a college student working for Philz is honestly one of the most stress free and flexible jobs you can have. Great family atmosphere between co workers. As part of the Philz Family your voice/opinion matters. At Philz we truly care about the customers experience and want to assure when a customer walks away with a cup of coffee it is just right. Philz goes above and beyond to celebrate diversity.
Pros
free lunch and coffee, employee discount
Fun place to work but extremely insecure hours
Barista (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 21, 2016
Friendly, comfortable and fun place to work with a mostly great upper and lower management. Can't stress how awesome of a company this is to work for, or would be, if I could get enough hours to live on. It is impossible to get even near full time (sometimes not ever 28 hrs/wk) as a barista, even after being promised full time during the interview process, which is exceedingly drawn out. Additionally, there is a very consistently unfair delegation of hours regardless or availability and performance, which has not changed since inquiring with management. Management pretends to be concerned for your financial situation and promises more hours "a little later on," that again never materialize. Instead, they hire more people. Turnover is high due to this, and most of the productive, mature people I work with are moving on after only a few months.
Pros
Free lunch, health insurance, commuter benefit
Cons
few hours
good culture
Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 15, 2016
Philz lets you be you. Great culture and customers. it a different kind of place to work. A great product the customers love
Pros
great people
Cons
long lines
Loved it!
Barista (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 26, 2016
Everyday was a new and excited day to look forward to. I loved knowing that I would be able to work with new customers, and the frequent "regulars".Working with co workers as well as customers really did teach me a lot in how to work in the business district
fun environment & good coffee
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CASeptember 6, 2016
great coffee with great service and quality of product. Lot of workers bouncing shifts and stores, as well as management. overall a fun place to work.
Delicious Coffee and Kind People
Assistant Store Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 18, 2016
Everyone is a joy to work with. Truly kind people who love what they do. It's a fast growing company with an inspiring mission: to better people's days.
Most fun job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Cupertino, CAAugust 2, 2016
typical day includes 3-7 hours on bar making drinks, two 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch, lots of laughing, and smelling like coffee all the time.
Best place to work at
Barista (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CA 94710July 1, 2016
At Philz, it doesn't feel like coming to work, instead it just seems like going to work with friends and doing a little bit of chores. The customers are very nice and appreciative, it's such a fulfilling feeling whenever they like the coffee.
Pros
free lunches, flexible schedules, high salary, good management
Cons
really early opening shifts
Small Company that's Growing Quickly
Store Design Coordinator & Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 19, 2016
This is a great place for a jack of all trades. It is still a relatively small company, so there is a lot of room for growth, experience and collaboration.
professional, loving and understanding company.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMarch 14, 2016
This company is compassionate and understanding. It is a fun, loving environment and makes everyone including customers feel welcome. Management is amazing and understanding when it comes to the schedule. They company treats you well and appreciates our hard work.
Pros
fun, exciting, challenging
Cons
expensive healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Philz Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2