Phipps Neighborhood Employee Reviews

Fun and exciting job with kids
Junior Group Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2017
This job helped me a lot with my people skills as I was working with teenagers every day, the hardest people to interact with in my opinion. I would usually come in every evening and set up the game room with all kinds of gaming consoles for the evening teen program. I would facilitate game tournaments among the kids and supervise them and the electronics in the game room. It was fun getting to know the different personalities and being able to teach younger kids things they never knew.
Learned where I don't want to be.
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 14, 2016
First off I loved my position, the children I had the pleasure of serving, and the work I was able to do with Phipps. As a company I love the work they get done in communities. Some, maybe even most Phipps community schools are pillars of excellence. However the location I worked at was in disarray the majority of its 1 year existence. I was hired to run a specific activity and was told I wasn't allowed to run my class because the site wasn't properly licensed when I was hired in the middle of the school year. Students were dismissed from class, came to the cafeteria, ate, did homework, and played board games or basketball. I wasn't allowed to do what I was brought onto the staff to do or given the proper equipment until 2 months prior to the end of the school year. Administration was almost never on the same page in regards to scheduling, employee tasks or responsibilities, where children should be and when, and lastly had inappropriate relationships between management and staff that involved gossiping as well as discussing personal information of staff and students. Two weeks before the end of the school year staff was notified that the site would be shut down after a meeting a "mutual decision' between the higher ups.
Unbalanced
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 19, 2015
Work was tough and challenging regarding supervisors placing there responsibilities on other staff members consistently. Co-workers some were only using the position as a summer job not really looking out for the benefit of the children in which we watched, others seeking more permanent employment wanted to work harder than others. Hardest part not being considered through all my hard work and determination for permanent employment. Most enjoyable moments were the trips with the kids.
Wonderful job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 5, 2015
This job really allowed me to see how it is to work in a summer camp. Even though i have done this before it was different. In this camp i was allowed to basically teach the campers some educational things during this time.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Summer job
A place I would LOVE to go BACK!!
Assistant Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working here and the environment was a great. With the postive energy from parents and staff. I place where I didn't want to leave once I walked through the door. Structured, clean, organized and well rounded in diversity.
Pros
Community staff, pay rate, advancement
Cons
No Cons
after school recreational
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 16, 2014
I have a great passion for working with people of all populations and eager to gain more experience through a relevant job position. I am looking for longevity and growth. I want to be able to share my creative ideas and work hard to help benefit and uplift the youth as a positive role model teaching interpersonal and life skills. My knowledge of recreational activities can be used as a vehicle to help develop positive character and peer relations amongst the youth. I am also capable of providing therapeutic intervention to any challenging situation prevented. When working with children, I strive to create and maintain a safe and constructive environment.
fun and structured environment with opportunity for growth
GROUP LEADER (Former Employee) –  bx ,NYJuly 21, 2014
a typical day at phipps would start with my group doing homework while I take attendance. I started off volunteering, I quickly learned I was comfortable running a class room. management started off great, however two years into the program our director was switched and the new director made a lot of changes to the program including bringing in her own people and demoting the ones who were already their. the hardest part about this job was seeing the kids graduate and move on, however the most enjoyable part was summer time, i was able to recreate my classroom from scratch and put my own touches on it.
Pros
able to bring my daughter to work, free trips
Cons
no real breaks, often catch colds from kids, report to parents child behavior
Informative
Community Outreach Member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 16, 2014
Phipps provides a comprehensive network of educational, vocational and community development programs for residents of communities across the Bronx and Manhattan.
Pros
job placement
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 8, 2013
We are helping students develop skills that are necsessary for life as well as school. We help them with creativity, homework, teamwork and leadership skills. We teach them to have value and morals, while having fun.
Exciting adventures
Junior Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 11, 2012
Prepare and carry out photography lesson plans, assist students with homework and escort them on excursions. I have learned that each child learns differently and I have developed innovated ways to carry out lessons. My co-workers are very helpful and cooperative and the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students absorbing information and reusing it in everyday situations.
(Project- Tremont Senior Center) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 16, 2012
I learned construction skills
Management was fair
Co workers were inspiring
I got to help my community
Pros
free car fare
Cons
sort breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Phipps Neighborhood. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3