Phoenix Children's Hospital

Phoenix Children's Hospital Employer Reviews

productive and a great place
Health Unit Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2013
answering multi-line phone
placing calls for nurses and doctors
putting charts together for patients
greeting families
faxing
putting information in computer
enjoy working there
fast pace environment
Wonderful Hospital/Terrible work environment
Financial Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 8, 2013
I was there for about a month before I was asked to resign, I was not given any chance to learn or to properly train in their systems. The supervisor it seemed had some hidden agenda to try and make me leave.
There was clear lack of direction in the job and lot was piled on my plate at once, you could not even ask for help because then it seemed as – more... if they were frustrated with you or that you could not handle your job. The team members were very supportive but because of a lack of a proper training plan and other issues, it was made to seem that I lacked skills to do my job.
The place itself is good, the benefits are okay but it seems the leadership needs a proper overhaul, they are undereducated and as such view the more education subordinates as a threat. There was also a lot of stress and you are made to feel very dense at the end of your day. – less
Great team approach. Great place to work.
Surgical RN (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: not a lot of call, unless you want it
Cons: downtown so need to commute
Great new facility well planed out. Strong and knowledgeable staff.
Long time employees. Great Doctors in all services. Shifts vary for many wants and needs.
Great Place to work
Lead, Certified Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 3, 2013
Immediate manager was great very family freely place to work. Upper management not so great.
Great hospital with a great vision
Call Center Operator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 22, 2013
Everyday I was able to help parents and family members contact doctors and their family members that they were concerned about.
Very good staff, surgeons were great to work with.
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2013
Busy operating rooms, staff was very nice and surgeons were great to work with.
Large quality facility
Nursing Student (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 18, 2013
I was able to experience the feel of a very large facility offering a variety of care for pediatrics. Great experience.
My department is a mess/good place to work overall
LPN General Pediatrics (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 5, 2013
Pros: job pride, overall happy staff, good benefits, free healthcare for your children @ the hospital
Cons: poor working conditions, cramming in as many patients to see possible no matter the physical cost to staff
Work in a busy clinic in the ambulatory department. It's a mess. Overworked- not enough help. Poor immediate management, bully mentality- doesn't listen to the employees. Politics are somewhat of an issue. Co-workers are excellent, unfortunately they are in the same boat. Hardest part of the job is physical stamina to keep up with workload and rising – more... above low morale from poor work conditions. Enjoy pt interaction... good wages and employee benefits. Conditions are better in the main tower. A good or bad manager can make all the difference. – less
Intern, Foundation (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 28, 2013
I learned a lot about how hospital foundations operate on a day-to-day basis and how crucial each donor is to the overall financial stability of the hospital.
Wonderful hospital for children
HR Services Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 2, 2013
Manage Trip Reduction Program for the entire Phoenix Children's Hospital staff
Verify all RN/LPN/CNA licensure or certification on a weekly basis to ensure compliance and active status
Assist with the on boarding process of new hires and transfers
Process VOE for credentialing and government agencies and draft VOE letters as needed
Enter and maintain – more... employee data and status changes within Lawson
Assist in the maintenance of confidential HR files and records to ensure current and accurate documentation
Verify all Direct Deposit requests to ensure accuracy prior to forwarding to Payroll for processing
Provide a variety of diversified administrative support to the HR department in addition to miscellaneous job related duties as assigned
Perform front desk/receptionist duties for HR which includes greeting, assisting and directing employees and visitors
Answer HR multi-line telephone and assist callers by using and referring to resources as needed
Answer and respond to inquiries and requests from internal and external customers using and referring to resources as needed
Maintain inventory levels of standard office supplies, materials and initiate requests as needed
Code and track requests for payments through Workflow ensuring charges are correct
Audited Position Manager by updating all of the positions with the current job descriptions (per Success Factors), correct grammar and punctuation and style for consistency
Update Position Manager by adding new or changing current positions as required
Oversee PCH4U inbox and process or forward items in a timely manner
Provide exceptional customer service to management, my fellow co-workers, employees, visitors/ guests – less
Bad Supervisors, Great medical benifits
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 22, 2013
Pros: great medical benifits
Cons: micro managing, bad supervisiors
If you work at the actual HOSPITAL, you get treated very differnt then working at the 2108 E thomas building. We got treated like step children. The superivosor are very hypocrites and they will screw we everyone that THEY dont like.

June 5, 2013

I completely agree

horrible place to work
RN (Current Employee), PhoenixApril 22, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: nurses and patients put in unsafe situations to save money, upper management is horrible to staff
I have been a RN at PCH for almost 10 years and I am disgusted at what this place has become. UNSAFE patient care due to trying to save the almighty dollar. Upper management, nursing management seems almost corrupt and the turn over in experienced nurses is alarming but they don't care...no raises ..one secretary for 5 units..99% of the nurses at PCH – more... hate their jobs. After 10 years here I am making what another hospital here in Phoenix starts a brand new nurse at. PCH is a facade ! Horrible place to work and needless to say I am leaving in 2 weeks. Can't wait !!! People have NO idea what goes on because they are so good at marketing ....it makes me sick. – less
Just a body to fill a position
coding (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: management
As an employee Senior managment doesn't get IT. Many of my coworkers feel the same way that I do. We feel under valued and unappreciated. There have been too many management changes in the last year and a half that I've been there. Currently looking to leave my position.

As a patient. I think it's a wonderful place and they treat their patients excellent. – more... I will contiune to take my children there in the future. – less
believe in their mission but the benefits and job security for the position I was in was not good. Came back from sick leave to no job
Coordinator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 4, 2013
Pros: pretty decent salaries
Cons: came back from sick leave to a job re-classification without any idea that i would be unemployed.
I have worked at places with better benefits. The mission of this place is great. Providers are very caring. Very good place for patients, but no very good for employees.

June 5, 2013

I think I know the manager that did this. He/she tried to do the same thing to me, unbeknownst to myself.

A specialized children's hospital newly partnered with another competitive hospital
Registered RN (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: new facility, self scheduling
Cons: long shifts with short breaks, slow computer charting
Very busy CVICU, with multiple post op or post procedure patients admitted- usually most nurses assigned 2 busy patients or assignments are changed during the day to accommodate new admissions. The unit specialized in caring for patients from premature/newborn to "older" previous patients; and from simple diagnostic cath procedures to transplantation – more... or Ecmo or VAD dependant patients.
The setup of the unit was challenging due to the vast space between rooms requiring a lot of physical movement to meet patient needs and made it difficult to observe patients.
Best part was feeling like I made a difference by advocating for my patients and families. The hardest part was not being acknowledged or supported when bringing patient concerns to LPs or management. – less
An awesome children's hospital
Sr. Employment Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2013
Phoenix Children's Hospital is an amazing place. I loved that we could walk down the halls and were encouraged to interact with the children if they wanted you too. My favorite memory was a little boy stopping me in the hallway and showing me the trains he saw outside! The staff were committed to excellence and were compassionate.
Fabulous place to work
Emergency Department Technician (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: wonderful people
Cons: advancement oppurtunities
Not much room for advancement in todays market but do plan on working there again in the future. A typical day is amazing and filled with smiley little faces. I have learned a lot of patience while working at PCH.
Great way to give back to community
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2013
The most enjoyable part of volunteering with the kids at Phoenix Children's Hospital is seeing their smiling faces. It's a great way to give back to the community and know that the time given is priceless.
Terrible
Staff (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 30, 2012
Pros: good friends outside of departments
Cons: everything else
- Horrible attitude from top management
- Absolutely ignorant top management
- Very bad environment in the department without HR or Upper management even caring how bad it is.

Advice to Senior Management – Please, begin to consider your employees as PEOPLE - not just cattle.If you want to see results., show more respect! Take a really close look at – more... your department managers and focus on why you have a huge turnover rate.

I know that the reason staff is leaving is NOT because they are incapable or incompetent as management has made it all out to be. It is because they are tired of working for directors that have fuzzy expectations, are unreliable (reschedules required meetings or just does not show up to meetings with staff), do not hold themselves to the same work standards as their employees, take credit for the hard work that their staff does,.

Your staff is tired of working for insecure management that would rather let employees go than recognize that they are failing in their job and failing the company just to look good to other higher management. Staff has brought this information to HR and upper management but to no avail. The remaining employees live in fear of losing their own jobs now that the so-called "cat is out of the bag". – less
amazing drs and atmosphere
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 4, 2012
Pros: rewarding in every way
Cons: micromanagement miscommunication
Start the day going over all pt care and follow up care msgs. Emails, voicemails. Ready for all pt appts and procedures. Preprepping for the rest of the week while handling any and all Dr needs. Responding and checking on pharmacy, pending auths, scheduling and confirming surgical facilities booked.

About Phoenix Children's Hospital

Phoenix Children’s Hospital is the second largest children’s hospital in the US. With over 70 sub-specialties, it – Read more