Phoenix House Foundation Employee Reviews

Worst Company
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Lake View Terrace, CAOctober 20, 2017
The head of HR now is never there always has closed doors and never answers questions...They need better director of HR hasn't even been there a year and has been gone half that time...
Benefits
Cons
Do not appreciate
It was a fun and healthy environment
Overnight Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 9, 2017
My only issue with Phoenix House, they don't offer opportunities for growth, and the compensation doesn't really change much, even with extensive experience. They also close down too many offices and you are almost guaranteed to become unemployed at a moments notice. Overall, everyone there was extremely helpful and they were all team players.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
No job security
non-profit evironment
IT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2017
People working there are dedicated to the organization goal, but my department was not run well. Lack of expertise in many areas which lead to bad implementation choices down the road.
Great place to grow as a Counselor
SUBSTANCE ABUSE & BEHAVIORAL DISORDER COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAAugust 15, 2017
great to work with the Department of Corrections in this setting. I was able to work with some difficult cases and grow as a counselor. I learned that I am inspired by my chosen field. A typical day is working in a classroom setting supervising up to 15 males who are at different levels of addiction recovery. A sometimes challenging and very rewarding experience.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Not enough staff
Terrible Place
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYApril 15, 2017
No good opportunity for growth. Coworkers and supervisors are hostile to each other. Employees curse and are rude to sick patients. The boss did not like to pay me for overtime.
Don't do it.
Reclaim Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYMarch 2, 2017
If you like Burn out Go there, no supervision and total dysfunctional family.

There were amazing clinicians that continuously tried, and due to poor management and lack of structure, consistency everyday was a new challenge waiting for the ball to drop.
adolecent youth case management/interaction and drug testing
Admin&Clinical staff (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CA 92008February 9, 2017
I would type up reports using excel also would answer both english and spanish phones for new client information. i conducted drug testing of individual's. filed as needed and entered information into computer. Helping the clients made my work worthwhile to me.
Pros
busy
Cons
short lunches
Competitive
CASAC Counselor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Work environment is fast paced, you learn as you go and employee training are hands on and constant. Hardest part of the job can be scheduling but as long as you are ambitious and motivated to succeed you will be utilized withing your strengths.
Dont send your kids here
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 12, 2016
Unless you are looking for the lowest possible place to sendyour kids or find a job, dont come here. the director stole over 100 grand from this place and was still employed for a year after her conviction. that and MANY other reasons are to blame for this being one of the worst "rehab" facilities in texas and the country
Needs much improvement with Admin
Primary Counselor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 3, 2015
No room for in-house advancement, extremely under staffed, employees do not last long due to being so over worked. No raises although Admin promises them.
Pros
Clients are wonderful
Cons
Clients are treated badly due to not having the appropriate treatment
No pay raises in 3 years no director
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 19, 2015
We work with a tough population. The company is horrible to work for. No pay raises as promised when hired. I am not happy at all with them.
Changes need to be made in order to help create a climate that is professional and promotes empoyee unity.
Case Manager/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Shrub Oak, NYJune 15, 2015
Facilitating the direct care of clients and handling crisis situations. Ensuring that clients were being given quality services in accordance with the guidelines of OASAS.
Saving Lives Daily!!
Regional Dental Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrub Oak, NYMay 15, 2015
I loved working for Phoenix House it was rewarding an quite demanding. I have met thousands of people who lives have been changed through the mission that is fulfilled daily.
Pros
Saves Lives
Cons
Non-profit
Benefit Specialist
Call Center Coordinator/Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2015
A typical work day for me consisted of me being on the phone with several different insurance carriers verify benefits for clients
Pros
No weekend work
Cons
N?A
equal employment provider but part time work only
Night Staff, Prospect Place (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 8, 2015
Phoenix House has only provided work as part time for many of there employees. There is very little oppurtunity for full time work.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
They only hire part time with no options of full time employment
Very stressful, unorganized
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Watch clients while they go outside for recreation,meals, and groups.
Patience, how to be humble,
Not good
Good
There's no consistency, no graditude, no caring, no professionalism
Helping the clients
Pros
Helping the people
Cons
No breaks, No raises, No recongition, No consistency
This was a wonderful environment to work at and I loved my job.
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 1, 2015
This Substance Abuse Program was the first Therapeutic Community I have worked for. At first it was difficult for me to learn all the terms needed in order to understand how it worked but once I did, everything seemed to fall into place. I did have a caseload of ten clients, only one was a woman, the rest were men. It didn't seem to make a difference at first but eventually a few "couples" began forming in the house, which was not part of treatment. As long as the clients told the truth, we worked with them however if they lied, there were consequences just as in everyday life when you do something you're not supposed to do.
I was the first counselor to incorporate the12 Steps into the house and formed a women's group once a week where we sat around and picked topics to talk about relating to substance abuse. Since there were only ten women in the house and 30 men, this was much needed and the women enjoyed this time.
My co-workers were fun to be around, I learned quite a bit from each of them and it felt like we were a family.
Pros
Having my own office, eating there.
Cons
There were times I felt the TC concepts were too harsh.
Rewarding work!
Access to Recovery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 14, 2015
I have enjoyed my career change immensely. Being able to help others get their lives back on track is the ultimate high of all. Knowing that at one point I too struggled with addiction and to be able to give back and help others make it through their struggles feels good!

The hardest part of the job now is the fact that I have to turn people away because there is not enough funding to go around as it was before.

I have learned about substance abuse first hand. That it can take on many forms but that it is curable. You can live with it. A famous person once said that "you can't change the way a person behaves until you change the way they think."

Always providing something positive and wholesome is key to redirecting a persons destiny.
Pros
Come in anytime as you as you work 8 hour day
Cons
Hours were dropped, nearing end of federal funding for Program (ATR)
Fun and Professional atmosphere
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, New YorkSeptember 27, 2014
A typical day at work would consist of me Conducting group and individual therapy sessions (Anger Management, Preparing for change, etc.),Provided Drug Testing/Toxicology Reports, Produced Daily, Weekly, Monthly Progress Reports for each client. I also developed Treatment Plans, Conducted Residential Discharge Planning, issued after care medication to clients, Recorded and maintained residential records. other responsibilities that i had were to accompany and monitored residents to various residential program activities, assigned all groups/job functions for all kids, Audited all the charts in the department including all co-workers, provided parental updates. some of the things that i have learned about this job was how to develop treatment plans for individual clients who have drug issues, how to maintain a safe and productive environment. My co-workers made my job easier by following all of the guidelines for treatment for our clients, staying professional at all times and by helping other colleges with clients, especially when we were short staff. The hardest part about the job was making shore all clients got there proper treatment when we were short staff. Me and my colleges had to work with caseloads as large as twenty clients, when the minimum of a case load should be no more than nine clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients get over there drug addiction, changing there behavior from negative to positive and having them reach eagle status which is the highest status they can reach before they are discharged from our facility.
Pros
free lunch and great trips
Cons
short breaks larger caseloads than normal
Great experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYSeptember 17, 2014
Room for growth in a fast paced envrionment, there were times when I was called upon to act as supervisor and assist in the day to day operations of company
Pros
Great team
Cons
No health care