PHOENIX HOUSE

PHOENIX HOUSE Employer Reviews

admission coordinator
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 7, 2014
admitting clients, checking insurance getting approval from insurance intake screening and outreach seminars
poor adminastration
counselor (Former Employee), citraMarch 17, 2014
Pros: steeping stone
Cons: lost
I loved my job, but the staff did not have employee back.
This position was a steeping stone on to getting my CAP
most dysfunctional place EVER
former employee (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 26, 2014
This company has to be the most dysfunctional environment I've ever seen. From incompetent and unaware leadership, to line staff that get hired with zero knowledge or experience and just because they know someone. If you're a drug addict, they hire you...
Run by drug addicts the company is as dysfunctional as any dry-drunk...
Do yourself a favor... – more... stay away – less
Great staff to work with
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee), Lake View Terrace, CAFebruary 17, 2014
Phoenix House is a drug rehab place. The staff there are awesome to work with.
Great Learning Experience
Office Asst. /Operations Asst (Former Employee), South Kortright, NYFebruary 7, 2014
As an operations assistant at the facility I was able to interact with all departments of facility and the clients. My favorite was being able to be a problem solver for all sorts of situations and learning and becoming adept at the protocols.
Volunteer Kitchen Cook
Voulenteer Worker (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2014
Assisted head chef in preparing meals also ineracted with clients with cooking.
Worst 2 years of my life
Web Developer (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 2, 2014
Cons: horrible hr, no pay increases, management disrespectful towards employees
I almost don't know where to start. Probably the worst part of working for PH was their HR department - to call them incompetent would be an understatement. On several occasions, they screwed up my health insurance so badly that I would be at the doctor's office (in the wake of a major injury) only to find out that HR had inadvertently "cancelled" my – more... insurance, leaving me to foot the bill and clean up the mess, which often took weeks. On one occasion, I was left without critical medication on a Friday evening, and had to borrow cash from a co-worker to pay retail for my prescription. On another occasion, when a different co-worker complained that her checks weren't reflecting her accurate salary, HR told her, "you don't have a contract, we can pay you whatever we want."

As awful as PH was to its employees, it seemed to be even worse for clients. PH pays lots of lip service to caring for the indigent, but at the end of the day, they give preferential treatment to self-pay clients, who they get in and out of their system as fast as possible in order increase their bottom line. From where I sat, it seemed like clients were seen as nothing but dollar signs. I would never recommend them to a loved one in need of care.

Finally, in the entire 2 years of working there, I never saw a single pay increase, not even a cost of living increase which is standard pretty much everywhere. – less
Fun fast Paced work environment
Vocational Education Counselor/Direct Care Staff (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: clients are amazing.
Cons: no lunches, no raises, no time off, no benifits, no job advancement
I love this job but ive been there for about 6 years and its time for a change. Im a professional looking for a more professional workplace with more professional expectations.
This is a punitive and not a positive environment for counselors that get treated like clients and not treated in mature and healthy ways.
Counselor for criminal justice system (Former Employee), Wilmer, TXDecember 11, 2013
Pros: like working with the clientel if the workload had been resonable
Cons: punitive and not a positive work invironment for employees
Very unorganized as of present and a high turnover of staff. It was nearly impossible to take days off with no staff willing or able to maintain the workload. Poor working conditions and inexperienced staff made it hard on staff that had worked hard in the past for little to no recognition of skills and experience.
part time but helpful in finding full time work
none/ perhaps associate (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 10, 2013
Pros: help with learning new skills
Cons: part time
Phoenix House is providing me with part time work and assisting me in looking for full time work. They have trained me in assembly work and added to my janitorial skills.

Unfortunately, there are many others in the same boat, ie.. in need of full time employment.
A STEADY JOB
RECOVERY SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Citra, FLNovember 30, 2013
Pros: overtime when needed.
Cons: no room for advancement or pay raise.
IT'S A STEADY JOB WITH A LOT OF OVERTIME IF YOU NEED IT. BUT IT DOES HAVE AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF TURN OVER.
Teamwork
Night Monitor (Current Employee), Exeter, RINovember 3, 2013
Pros: healtcare
Cons: money
The day I go home will be differant the next day.
I learned.People are needy.
The managment works very hard.
My co-workers work even harder.
The hardest part of the job.Is trying to understand the clients needs.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working.
Phoenix House
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2013
Provide primary and urgent care to clients who were seeking to become drug free.
Client care vs. money
Case Manager (Former Employee), Hauppauge, NYOctober 8, 2013
Pros: you get to experience all aspects of the substance abuse field.
Cons: understaffed facility
Phoenix House is a very rigorous and demanding position. I learned alot about the runnnig of a substance abuse residential facility. Co- workers were the same as anywhere else you work and the management is lacks the ability to provide adequate training for new
employees which results in constant turnovers. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with – more... the day to day work. Phoenix House is
under staffed so alot falls on the existing staff. The most enjoyable
part of the job is seeing clients succeed in their quest to take their lives back. – less
Helping and Productive agency
Senior Year Internship (Former Employee), Wakefield, RIAugust 27, 2013
Pros: was a great experience
Cons: non-paid
My typical day of interning consisted of filing and faxing urine results, treatment plans, end of the month follow ups, etc. I also made phone calls to reschedule or make new appointments. I helped run individual and group sessions with the clinician. I met with the intake patients and typed all of their basic information into the computer system.
Good Job
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee), Lake View Terrace, CAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: work experience
Cons: traffic days
Drove clients to and from school, facilitated group sessions, I learned group behaviors, Management was very helpful, My Co workers were helpful and friendly, Transporting Teenagers was the hardest part of the job, The most enjoyable was helping people who needed it.
Productive and fun palce to work
Records Manager/Health Information Administrator (Current Employee), Shrub Oak, NYJuly 29, 2013
Great place to work very laid back management is wonderful!!
I'm a volunteer cook
Head cook/grill/linecook (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYJuly 4, 2013
Pros: the food is free.
Cons: i'm also a resident.
Phoenix house is a residential program that houses two hundred plus people,my responsibility are ensure that meals prepared on time;breakfast,lunch or dinner.
Not appreciate it for all of the work of the staff and not a fun place, but a place where people are stressed out.
Clinical Counselor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 3, 2013
I worked for this place and had to work on my lunch hours and worked up to 12pm to catch up to the paperwork. The assessments were supposed to be 3 hours and we were told that we had to completed in 2 hours. On a sick leave all the staff was given a hard time because there was nobody to replace you. Many people came to work sick due to the lack of staff. – more... Vacation, the staff is only able to take one week, we had annual leave days, but were not able to take the days off, due to the extensive work and not having enough staff. I did not get a raise in 4 years and was promised to have a raise, but it never came through. Many people was threaten to be fire and many left due to the emotional abuse by the Program Manager. – less
The best thing about the Phoenix House was the work environment! Everybody had a lot of fun and relied on each other to be successful!
House Supervisor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 30, 2013
Pros: free meals, outside activities with clients, therapeutic environment, amazing supervisor and co-workers!
Cons: little to no breaks, disappointment when a client isnt successful
There was no typical day at the Phoenix House. The clients kept it interesting and I always had a lot of fun with them. I learned how to deal with difficult parents, clients, probation officers and judges. Our number one concern besides client safety was customer service. We always strived to make the customer happy. I worked for an average of 55+ hours – more... a week for 6 1/2 years and I loved every minute of it. My immediate supervisor was amazing as were the staff that worked for me. – less

1 2 3