Phoenix House Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to work and learn what you need to make it in the this field of substance abuse.
Staff on Duty (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 24, 2016
My overall experience with the agency was a learning experience from the culture of residential treatment. Clients made the transtition easy and very open about how they doing in their treatment. Staff at first make you feel welcome to be on the team, but start undermine you in position.
Pros
Learning all the different culturial and the interaction with clients.
Cons
Management not having clue to what the staff deal with their co workers.
Careful what you ask for
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
management is clueless, there is no idea of what the ground troops are doing; but they get dismissed quickly.

loyalty is a word of the past
Pros
did get promoted very often
Cons
promotion comes fast due to constant staff turnover, pay scale remained the same
life changing experience happens before your eyes
Recovery Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYJune 7, 2016
My position is to manage, assist and accommodate clients threw the stages of the recovery process. I enjoy teaching clients how to organize and reconstruct there life that once was destroyed by substance addiction. The most enjoyable part of the job is also the hardest part of the job, which is seeing clients reinvent themselves, become healthy again, find there identity and then complete the program and be discharge back into society. After building a therapeutic relationship with them you feel great full that you was a part of the solution.
Pros
participating in campus fun activities, family events, nice campus with a lake friendly staff
Cons
need more parking space
Worst clinical job ever
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAMay 10, 2016
Dorchester, MA location: Poorly managed, with a culture of bullying by staff against staff. Zero consideration for work-life balance (for instance, if worker for next shift no-shows or calls in sick, previous shift worker may have to work a double on no notice and with no comp time or even gratitude offered by management). Focus on family reunification means kids living with moms in one room--and babies being present in groups because no childcare. Management concerned about image rather than practice, did not care about unethical behavior by staff.
Pros
Cons
Unethical management, middling compensation, zero work-life balance
Please do not apply
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 17, 2016
This place should be closed it is not even close to being a functioning facility. Staff are over worked and upper management is hardly on site. The place is to help deal with substance abuse and all that happens is kids run all over the place, ruied to staff and no consquences for the behavior.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Drug facility that encourages kids to stay in that environment.
counselor
counselor (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MADecember 19, 2015
The worst management I have ever worked for. The clinical director is a social worker without management experience. They treat their employees poorly and the clients are bored, the facility lacks structure.
not sure about other Phoenix house facilities there have also been several complaints to the department of public health. I expected much more from the gavin foundation.
Don't Work Here
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2016
If I could rate this place less than one I would. There are cockroaches all over this place, the buildings are just falling apart and half of the "secured" doors don't work. The management is a JOKE. The "nurse" drugs the kids to keep them in compliance and isn't even on site half of the time. All the director and management cares about is keeping ratio so they can keep getting their state funds. This place is not structured and should basically be shut down and the staff should be put in jail for abuse and neglect. I have never seen such a horrible place in all my life. This place is supposed to help kids but instead they get off on the fact that they can ruin these kids lives with one phone call to their PO. They treat these kids worse than the roaches that live here. The house manager actually falsified medication sheets to make it look like he wasn't the one who screwed up the dosing. The nurse NEVER hands out the meds, the staff does. None of them are medically trained and can barely apply a Band-Aid let alone administer medication. I was told to do the minium. "Don't talk to the kids, you're only night shift. You need to tell them to go to bed or you'll write them up. I don't care what their problem is or what they say you cant talk to them." Even though my job description is to counsel them. Its a joke.
Pros
Cons
Every single thing about this place.
A great learning experience I recommend as an first stop in your journey.
Clinical Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2016
Overall if you have passion to help people you may want to consider other treatment facilities in the NYC area. Or if your just in it for an paycheck it may be the place for you.
Pros
Gratification of seeing clients progress positively, Getting Paid on Time, Single occupant office, Parking, Learning to work under fast pace environment
Cons
One can always find somethings they don't like about an organization, Overall its what you bring to the table that counts.
Fulfilling!!!!!!!!!
Youth Residential Specialist - PRN Employee (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 3, 2015
This job helped me find my passion.
I learned that I am GREAT at what I do.
The management changed a lot so I felt we could have had a better balance.
Were mostly recovering addicts who still had issues but could very helpful when their issues did not consumed them Overall I loved my co-workers.
Monitoring the medication.
Working with the young people
Pros
The Groups
Cons
NO benefits
A lot of turn over in associates and management
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lakeview, CAJune 12, 2016
Fair place to work for work experience, yet there was too much turn over in management and associates. The organization needed stronger management leadership within the facility to maintain more order to the units.
great Place to work
Chef (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2016
I worked at the Majority Phoenix House through out the five boroughs Managing and Cooking when ever needed, my main Job and focus is to make sure the Clients get a Healthy and Nutritional Meal , Daily Inventory ,Waste prevention and Food Purchasing.,
Very productive company to work for
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, TXJune 18, 2016
You can learn a lot at this company about recovery, The staff is amazing to work for. The units and cottages are very well maintained
Pros
VERY NICE PEOPLE
Cons
Breafast, Lunch and dinner to employees
Hardworking and friendly co-workers
Project Administrator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lake View Terrace, CAMay 10, 2016
Many tasks that need to be completed daily that taught me responsibility and patience. I stay busy and I'm always a helping hand. It gets very busy during lunch time but I enjoy meeting all these new people.
Queens new york
Executive Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2016
Standardized the production of recipes so as to ensure the customers are offered quality at all times. Established food quality standards per dish. Ensured proper staffing and scheduling in accordance to productivity guidelines. Worked multiple culinary stations, utilizing various cooking methods, preparing meats, fish, poultry, sauces and soups according to standards. Followed kitchen policies, procedures and service standards. Perform other duties as assigned.
Productive and fun environment
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYMay 31, 2016
It was a volunteer job, that I enjoyed very much. I learned office skills and patience and would do it again given the opportunity.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Shortbreaks
Good Experience
Human Resource Intern (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 26, 2016
Good Experience Builder, Not a fan of the compensation. Management is a bit indirect a lot of disorganization corporately but overall a fine place to work.
Positive and motivating workplace
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXApril 8, 2016
I can say working at phoenix house is to be very reward. The must enjoyable part of the job is seeing the client wanting to change and do better.
Excellent
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 12, 2016
Great company to work for. Co-workers and staff as a whole were very professional to work for and a joy to be around. Room for advancement and growth opportunity.
Wonderful facility,
Counselor and Admissions Director (Former Employee) –  new yorkSeptember 26, 2014
A typical day at work depends on the residents outlook that day.
I have learned Not to judge anyone, we are all just trying to survive.
The management and staff at these type of facilities deserve all praise, they are dedicated individuals, my co-workers make life at the facility pleasurable when things get complicated. The hardest part of this job is placing your feelings last, and remebering that you can not always save the world. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the accomplishments made each day.
Pros
providing a needed service
Cons
pay
DOC alternative to incarceration program
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 23, 2015
Reviewing clients charts and progress for that month.Individual one on one interview discussing issue and progress.I learn not to identify with the client by showing emotions that you can not make a client do anything it is a self change process.Management had know order i felt. Co-worker had no concern for the client's. Hardest part i felt was to reach some clients who were in games.I enjoyed facilitating to the client who were from DOC alternative to incarceration program.

2.9