Phoenix Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Life New Business Representative (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 16, 2017
Productive and fun workplace. Management supportive to all employees and their needs to help produce maximum quality work. Great co-worker/peer support.
laid back
Director of Quantitative Investment Analysis (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 7, 2017
laid back culture, can take a coffee break for as long as one hour, not much room for growth, but people here are very nice and helpful, just aren't a place for young folks
Excellent company.
Lead Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 25, 2017
Monitor performance of networks effectively utilizing software tools.
Broad technical knowledge and creative problem-solving skills.
Excellent department management.
Very friendly.
Being laid off.
Very challenging job.
Pros
Everthing good.
Cons
Getting to work in snow storm.
Professional Life Insurance company.
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  East Greenbush, NYDecember 30, 2015
Continuous education in all aspects of the fundamentals of Life insurance from customers service to different products and systems. Offered many Life skills training. Worked in a team friendly environment.
Pros
Cafeteria on premisis, a walking path for good health.
Cons
Busy work place and fun outings
Administrative Assistant, Medical Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 20, 2015
The typical day was completing requests for potential insurers receive their lab test results and rated, standard or decline letters to potential insurers, attendance, travel arrangements for directors and other co-workers. The management staff was great to work with mutual respect for their employees. The hardest part of my job was moving from Enfield site to Hartford site. The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a secretarial team that worked good together planning events and completing shared responsibilities.
Pros
benefits and salary
Cons
Paying for parking
A Good Place for Working Mothers
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 8, 2015
Each year Phoenix is recognized for being one of the top 100 companies for working mothers. The benefits at the company are very good. However, the last few years the company has suffered from some accounting errors that has caused some downsizing of employees. I enjoyed my time at Phoenix and would consider returning their to work again.
Benefits
Cons
Workforce reduction
Very good company to work for
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Greenfield,MAFebruary 1, 2015
A typical day involved answering multi-line phones, and assisting callers with insurance policy questions. Customers call regarding their coverage and policy procedures. Insurance policies varied from Medical, Dental, Workers Compensation, Life insurance, and Short and Long Term Disability. We had a very hard working team of co-workers. Management was helpful, and treating everyone with respect. The job was stressful at times when there was a very high volume of calls, and dealing with angry callers. The best part of the job was being able to satisfy all the callers , and answering all their questions, It is always rewarding when you give a caller the best customer service, and know when you have made them smile.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Low pay
Was a good company, not so sure anymore.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 4, 2014
I enjoyed working at Phoenix up until my last year. I felt that my most recent manager hovered too much and was micro managing to a fault. My co-workers were great to work with and made the days more tolerable. Had I not been laid off, I most likely would have left anyway because my manager was not pleasant to work for.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
My manager
Internal Wholesaler (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 21, 2014
I did not enjoy the typical day of cold calling in order to sell a product. I found that to be a waste of time and energy.
Pros
Learning how the Brokerage companies do business
Cons
Sales, the only thing that mattered
Work oriented, productivity high, friendly atmosphere.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 22, 2014
The position required a great deal of accuracy and competency as we were working on life applications of $1 million dollars and over.
It required working independently, being a self starter as well as being a team player.
I was part of the State Farm department within Phoenix so time was of the essence.
The hardest part of the job was making the State Farm agents understand that getting a complete application(s) including money before submitting would valuable to us completing the application process in a timely manner.

I enjoyed the interaction among all personnel, management and the State Farm agents.
Pros
bonuses, certificates of acknowledgements for good workmanship, paid for Loma coarses
Cons
State Farm pulled contract so entire department lost jobs
Working with good people on regulatory matters.
AVP and Sr Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 30, 2013
I have worked for Phoenix for many years and for most I have been in the Corporate Compliance Department. My typical day consists of meetings with regulators, attorneys and business managers. My co-workers are a wonderful group of people that have made my job a very rewarding experience. The hardest part has been to decide who to lay off when downsourcing became a solution. The most enjoyable part of my job again are the people I work with every day and working closely with the regulations on issues and examinations.
Pros
The people and the teamwork make this an enjoyable place to work.
Cons
Not enough resources to assist with special projects.
enjoyed working for them a great atomsphere.
Compliance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 4, 2013
I worked without supervision, my c-workers were very nice and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the quarterly mutual funds that needed to be reviewed. Management was easy to get along with and they all had an open door policy. I learne mutual funds, annuities and life insurance must be in compliance within the state they're being marketed.
Great foundation
Administrative Assistant, Administration (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2013
This was a great place to learn and advance to the next step. I do not remember much, but I did enjoy working here.
Great place to work until office closed
Administrative Assistant/New Business Rep (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 18, 2013
Most days were busy, learned alot about the insurance industry, great management and co-workers, enjoyed working with personnel at home office.
Fast paced and the focus was getting work completed.
Senior Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 28, 2012
When I joined Phoenix, the department I worked in was very busy. There was a backload so we had to work very hard to meet department goals. It was hard work but I enjoyed the challenge. There was classroom training that took place prior to going on the floor. I learned alot. Management set the goals and we worked together to get the job done. The hardest part of the job was just staying on top of everything. We were not only on the phones but processing work also. At the end of the day if you felt like you had helped a customer, it was a good day.
Pros
rewarded for doing a good job.
Cons
things were constantly changing.