PHOENIX ZOO Employee Reviews

Fun/ nice people
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2017
I had a hard time at this job just because the management liked to pick favorites and I wasn't one of them. I loved being out in the zoo and helping guests with what they need.
Fun professional work place
EXHIBIT GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2017
The Phoenix zoo is a place that allows you to grow as an animal enthusiast, educator, and service representative.It is competitive which keeps you on your A-game but everyone is supportive and there is honestly no better place to work.
Zoo Life
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 5, 2017
I didn't get to work with any of the animals, it was all people to people interactions but they were still fun. Almost all my time was spent outside which was beautiful warm.
Pros
Working at a Zoo
Cons
Not working with the animals
It was ok
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2017
It was an ok job. Not too good but not too bad. Great employees, but if you were working alone in an area you couldn't use the bathroom at all even if it was super slow. It does work around your schedule but you don't get many hours a all.
Phoenix Zoo review
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 20, 2017
The Phoenix Zoo was pretty cool. I worked in the food court so it was like any other job in the food industry. Fast paced a lot of yelling. Very hot as well. It was an alright job
Has potential to be a great place to work but..
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2017
This place has so much potential but the management could be better with development of the staff. Upper management should guide and help middle management but it would appear as if they don't. The turnover rate in most departments is something that should be looked at and seriously considered. It is appaling. Something is not right. This is not just that its hot or that it does not pay the best issue, this is a management issue.
This is a non-profit Zoo, the pay discrepencies between upper management and the rest of the people who work so hard, show up everyday and keep the zoo running is also very unbalanced.
Pros
free membership, dedicated animal keepers, great hourly staff dedicated volunteer staff
Cons
Troubling turnover rate, management that doesn't listen
Enjoyable for a first job
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 9, 2017
Who doesn't want to work at the zoo as their first job! I was a student when I worked there and they were very flexible with my schedule which was a must. Awesome people to work with as well.
Wasn't amazing
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2017
I worked here to get by my freshman year of college. The pay was okay for it being my first job but hours were awful. During the holidays I'd work doubles due to it being short staffed and would sometimes have to miss class in order to help out.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Pay, managers, hours
You are able to do what you love as a career.
Part Time Primate Keeper (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2017
It is a wonderful place to work. Working with animals keeps you on your toes, and it is always a challenge. If animals are your passion, you can't ask for a better workplace.
Decent part time work
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2017
Working for the phoenix zoo was a fun experience. While I worked there, I learned how to be efficient and manage large crowds. There was a large quantity of employees, so being a team player s most definitely a requirement.
Pros
Zoo membership, discounts, always on the move
Cons
Almost no advancement

Want to know more about PHOENIX ZOO?

Ask a question
great place if your're just starting out or looking to retire
Zookeeper/Animal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 6, 2017
I loved my time at the Phoenix Zoo and wouldn't trade it for the world. I wish that more full time opportunities had been available when my new supervisor took over. A change in management was exactly what our department needed, but by that time, I was burnt out from working two part time jobs, that I needed to part ways. I would also like to see the zoo offer some benefits to part time employees. However, every zookeeper know the sacrifices we make to take care of these animals and it's one worth making.
Pros
work with best animals, great supervisor, great work experience
Cons
not many job openings, no benefits for part time
fun
Cashier/Runner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at the zoo. However, I didn't enjoy being micromanaged. Overall, it's a fun experience. Plus, you get to go to the zoo for free
fun environment to work in.
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Main Gate, Camel Rides, and Monkey villageDecember 12, 2016
Working as a Photographer at the zoo is a great job. Everyone's like family. The perks to work at the zoo are awesome and our management are great people.
Fun and helpful place to work.
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2016
first off you get into the zoo for free for as long as you work there. You can get a lot of the exhibits for free as well, and if you want food all you have to do is show that you work there and you get an amazing discount which really helps out. people there are fun and helpful, easygoing when they can be but mostly just business when they need to be.
Pros
good environment helpful staff and great company.
Cons
short breaks.
Fun Workplace
Phoenix Arizona, Birthday Party Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 30, 2016
How can you not love walking into work and looking out over the savannah. I have worked for the zoo for 15plus years both full time and part time. I call this my fun job and would say the hardest part of the job would be leaving it.
Fun and exciting work environment
Corporate and Social Event Planner - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 5, 2015
A fun and exciting work environment. The people that work here make the environment that much more fulfilling. Everyone is kind, caring, and determined.
Pros
You get to work around animals and learn about conservation.
Cons
low pay grade
Lead Insturctor
LEAD INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 22, 2014
Set up and tear down camps
Prepare food
Delegate and organize nightly duties to instructors
Greet campers
Set expatiations for Staff, campers, teachers and parents
Teach and educate groups conservation and natural environments for animals.
Handle animals with safety protocols
Lead night hikes
Handle guest concerns
Communicate with Rangers and Supervisors any concerns that may arise.
Complete proper paperwork for each shift.
Ensure that all duties have been completed at the end of shift.
wonderful
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2014
I loved this job. everyone was sweet and nice. I loved working with the animals and it was a lot of fun
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 6, 2014
the people who work here are passionate about what they do. the organization really gives back to the community
Pros
working outside, getting to enjoy the animals, always learning something new
Cons
low pay, short breaks
Fun, interactive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 7, 2014
A typical day consists of a lot of heat and a lot of faces. Constant contact with customers as you're giving them directions or showing them where the animals in a certain exhibit are. You learned something new about the animals everyday. Management is really easy going, since it was self-scheduled you only showed up when you wanted to. Co-workers were really nice, since it was volunteer, only people who wanted to be there were there. The hardest part was dealing with the heat, in the summer it was really difficult to walk all the trails constantly. The most enjoyable part was just being there, seeing all the animals, learning about them and the general atmosphere.
Pros
discounts, free membership
Cons
heat